Man vs Man: SF x Tekken On PC

By Alec Meer on October 17th, 2011 at 9:16 am.

But… two different control sets. How that work huh what?

My choice of feckless, work-dodging pursuit while a student (due to being too poor to afford a PC at the time) was PlayStation man-thumper Tekken, specifically 2 and 3 in the series. While I haven’t explored its strange lands of fighting bears and suicidal undead samaurai for many years, a certain nostalgia tickles at my childlike soul upon news that Namco’s longstanding brawler is to make its first foray onto PC.

In a manner of speaking, at least – the upcoming console licence mash-up Street Fighter x Tekken had its Windows version confirmed by Capcom over the weekend. No details yet, simply that the PC edition “just began development.” Rather surprising, to be honest, but it’s always heartening to see the platform tyrannies of the past slowly dissipate. It rather suggests the PC versions of Street Fighter IV’s assorted flavours did quite well, too.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. pkt-zer0 says:

Anyone know what’s up with the gem system? Is that some sort of gameplay-relevant microtransaction madness? I sure hope not.

• Steven Hutton says:

Ok, so, broadly speaking it’s a character customisation mechanic which is an anathema to fundamental nature of fighting games. Which, I guess, ok, they decided to do that.

You can probably best think of it as analogous to the rune system in League of Legends.

It seems like there’re five flavours of gems which grant various bonuses. For example if you select Ryu and give him five red gems they all improved his damage. If your opponent is also ryu but has two red gems and three green gems he’ll have less damage and more speed.

It seems like these aren’t permanent buffs but are activated based on certain in game conditions. So an example might be for a specific red gem. This gem will activate after you deal a five hit combo. Or something.

I think that it’s a really bad idea.

Not least of which because it seems like some of the gems will only be available to people who pre-order or get the special edition. So yeah, no making me pay for balance related features Capcom. This is not allowed.

I might come back and write more about why I think it’s a bad idea later on.

2. Heliocentric says:

I used to adore the streets of rage thing in Tekken (3?) as playing it like an E-sport never really appealed to me, and fighting 1 on 1 vs an AI in a game of reflexes seemed stupid, but this streets of rage allowed you to perform some basic strategy and some risk reward stuff (with the clock and your hp as a balacing act between rushing and taking your time).

Indeed, the “one screen, 2d, 1 vs 1 fighter” genre was utterly dead to me once I discovered Sumotori Dreams.

• phenom_x8 says:

@helio
      Its called Tekken Force(starting from Tekken 3)!
      Quite nice mode and I’m absolutely enjoyed it very much beside Tekken Ball! I would prefer Tekken 5 or 6 visual style for this rather than SF 4 style though!
      I hope that Tekken x SF made by namco appear on our favorite platform!

3. Kent says:

I used to play a lot of Tekken as a child playing on a PS. You know, the time when consoles actually were unique from PCs and had games that actually benefited from the gamepads they utilize?
    Tekken were one of the better fighter games out there. I used to play Law, but my 5 year younger bro somehow managed to become better than me and kick my ass. I am excited for a chance to give SF a royal beating ingame.

4. Jockie says:

I was a big fan of 2 & 3, mostly playing as Paul Phoenix, Heihachi and Kazuya. I recall that there were two Tekken SF crossovers being made – one by Namco and one by Capcom – presumably this is the capcom one?

If so I’ll probably give it a miss because you can’t really play Capcom fighters without a really expensive stick-thing.

Mo says:

Yep, this is the Capcom one. The Namco game is called Tekken x Street Fighter.

thekeats1999 says:

I personally use a 360 madcatz streetfighter pad. Great for this sort of game on PC (and Guilty Gear off GoG)

• Yehat says:

Keyboard works fine in SF4 and I’d expect the same about SFxT, so it shouldn’t be a reason to not pick it up.

5. Fetthesten says:

Splendid news, I love SSFIVAE to bits and it’s much better on PC because you can use pretty much any controller you want. Hopefully other Japanese developers will follow suit and bring their console titles to the PC in years to come.

6. The Army of None says:

While this sounds great, and I love the Street Fighter control scheme, I always have loved the Tekken scheme more, so its really Tekken x Street Fighter that has me interested, but I haven’t heard much news of it so far, and I doubt it’ll be coming to PC. Sad days.

Museli says:

I see no reason why TxSF can’t also make it to PC, especially if this one does well. Namco started work on it much later than Capcom got on with SFxT though, which is why we’ve heard no news.

7. acidtestportfolio says:

cool i wonder if there’s going to be a new version of this game after release that will just be an incremental upgrade at forty bucks too

• Steven Hutton says:

Better than an incremental upgrade at $60 bucks. Ahem, cough, Call of Duty, cough, cough, ahem.

Also, all of the recent incremental updates from Capcom have been priced at $30. And they typically include a hell of a lot of new stuff for the price.

Super Street Fighter 4 added 10 new characters for a lot less than the cost of getting, for example, ten new league of legends characters.

• Burning Man says:

Now try saying Dead Rising 2: Off The Record was A Good Thing that gave value for money.

• manveruppd says:

I’m confused: which is the one that’s basically Tekken with some SF characters, and which is the one that’s SF with Tekken characters? And which one are WE getting?

• zergrush says:

SF x Tekken is the majorly SF one, Tekken x SF is the mostly Tekken one.

8. paterah says:

Big respect for Capcom bringing their goods to PC. I’m gonna get this.

9. Juan Carlo says:

I love Street Fighter and I’m glad Capcom’s doing this, but it seems like every time I am about to get a Street Fighter game for the PC they announce another one.

10. The Tupper says:

I wish someone would release a decent boxing game on the PC. Fight Night Round 3 would do the job nicely.

11. zergrush says:

A shame this is the one that has regular boring Street Fighter IV gameplay.

I’d give an arm for real Tekken ( and up-to-date Blazblue ) games on PC. Those and Demon’s / Dark Souls are pretty much the only reason I have a PS3.

• Fierce says:

I thought Blazblue was on PC just fine. How is it not ‘up to date’?

Are you referring to a lack of Continuum Shift 2?

• zergrush says:

Yep.

12. bill says:

Virtua Fighter FTW!

• LGM says:

Agreed!

Capcom has turned into a DLC machine the last few years. Guaranteed this game will be nothing but a store to buy costumes and probably those gems, as well as anything else they can possibly try and get you to purchase.

IMO this game will just be another rehash of SF4, but with some Tekken characters in it. I’ll wait for Tekken x Street Fighter, thanks.

13. Aspongeinmauve says:

Hwoarang is the man.

shoptroll says:

Lost interest in Tekken after the first Tag Tournament, but this announcement gives me some hope that maybe we’ll also see Marvel vs. Capcom 3 at some point. Maybe?

15. Hatsworth says:

So how long until they un-announce it this time?

The gem stuff sounds terrible, and I really hope it will simply be a novelty mode or something. Selling advantages is just unacceptable. Guessing many of the gems that aren’t sold will need to be unlocked too, adding senseless grinding(which there was some of in SF4 vanilla to unlock characters).