Paint The Blue Planet Red: Fisher Diver

By Adam Smith on October 17th, 2011 at 11:41 am.

orange and blue, together at last

Fisher Diver is a Flash game about fishing. Fisher Diver is a game about shooting writhing wireframe abominations in the spine with a harpoon, waiting for them to bleed out and then collecting their lifeless fish-flesh to sell for a few dollars. Fisher Diver has an upgrade system. Fisher Diver encourages you to buy licenses so that you can dive ever deeper and confront increasingly dangerous creatures that thrash idiotically and blasphemously in the deepest trenches. Fisher Diver tells a story through diaries and dreams. Fisher Diver contains terrible nightmares and sinister diaries that are found drifting beneath the waves, or slowly digesting in the guts of the hungering horrors that lurk beneath. Play it here.

If you don’t have sound on when playing, you’ll miss out on the rather superb music, which can also be heard (and purchased) here. The tracks are short and repetitive but they suit the strange ambience perfectly.

Fisher Diver comes from the mind of Eli Piilonen, who previously made The Company of Myself. I enjoyed that but I prefer this. As a game, it’s fairly simple, although trying to maximise profits by killing targets slowly and patiently has an element of consideration to it. Bleak and bloody consideration, but it’s there nonetheless. It’s the aesthetics I find most interesting though, with their abstract weirdness somehow making the job at hand more unnerving by far than any attempt at realism would have done. This has as much in common with Sega Bass Fishing as Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy has with Moonraker.

Via JayisGames.

, , , , , .

1. Dasos says:

Animal rights activist going to play this now, looks fun.
    Inb4 “omg PETA must hate this” :P

• Adam Smith says:

Was it Carnivores? I had a great fondness for the series on PC back in the day. Didn’t realise it had been ported.

2. Magnetude says:

The first paragraph brings this to mind for me, my favourite video review of all time…

3. Noc says:

First impression: Hey, it’s sort of like a low-fi flOw with an upgrades mechanic.

Second Impression: Holy crap this is the creepiest thing I have played in months.

4. pipman3000 says:

Holy crap I wasn’t expecting Cthulhu to be the end boss!

• The Infamous Woodchuck says:

damn you! you spoiled the ending. that was going to be the twist of the century! noooooo!

5. Premium User Badge jrodman says:

Played it. Enjoyed it, though love was not meant to be.

For me, somehow the agency of the journal entries didn’t click for me. I didn’t understand that someone else was writing them and I was finding them. I’m not sure if that was supposed to be ambiguous, but it made the game a good deal more confusing.

I like Eli’s work. His storytelling method can be a bit heavyhanded, but he really has some gusto at it.

6. TLGAthena says:

Didn’t quite “get it” until I dived far enough down… then that was genuinely creepy.

7. MrMistofales says:

Um, I may sound like an idiot here, but… How do I collect the fish?

(Edit: Oh dear. Looks like I just wasn’t actually killing them!)

8. PodX140 says:

Fantastic game, I spent over an hour trying to get the top of the maximum value in one dive leaderboard, but in order to do so you need deathly amounts of patience and skill. All you need to do is just cut off the “gems” (The swirly spine things) from fish without actually killing the fish or cutting off too many spines, otherwise you’ll pick up something with value. This way, you can pick up multipliers and then resurface for air, without losing your multiplier. After you get to 150x or so, dive reaaaaal deep and kill the spiniest fish in the lowest level, making sure to protect the bleeding out fish from other fish (Otherwise you get several less than worthwhile chunks). And then somehow get all the way back up before you drown.

I find strange things fun :P

9. Kefren says:

Playing in Ghandi mode (since I’m veggie) – much creepier. No weapons, more like a survival horror. Following big fish in the dark, staying away from its mouth, waiting for something else to come along, collecting samples… On day 8 so far. Changes the game from Resident Evil to Silent Hill.

10. LionsPhil says:

Goddamnit RPS, fix your spam filter. I’d rather fill in Captchas than play whack-a-mole with whichever word in my post it’s objecting to (only for spam to regularly get through anyway).

11. Olivaw says:

So did anyone manage to beat the boss at the end? Is it even possible?

• LionsPhil says:

I had everything upgraded and was clicking away on him, and trying my damndest to dodge his pentagrams. He never went even slightly pink.

• FalseMyrmidon says:

I failed at beating the end boss too. Not sure if it’s possible.

12. JackDandy says:

Heheh. Game ate up an hour or so.

The ending was nice and creepy.

13. sebmojo says:

It would rather the multitudinous seas incarnadine
    making the green one red.

14. pertusaria says:

I seem to have made a basic newbie error by losing my ship… great fun though.

15. riccardosilvioli says:

Am I the only one wondering who the final boss is, what was written on the last message and what the hell does all the story mean? I actually love those kind of games, but they make me go crazy!..