Smash & Grab: Every GTA Game For £8.74

By John Walker on October 17th, 2011 at 5:06 pm.

Scenes after I attempted to get them for less than £5.

Cripes – how would you like the complete Grand Theft Auto series for under £9? There are two ways to do this. You can get yourself a balaclava and steal them from a shop, but it’s high-risk, and some would argue morally questionable. Or you could hand over that much money to Gamers Gate, where they’re selling GTA 1, GTA 2, GTA III, GTA: Vice City, GTA: San Andreas, GTA IV, and GTA Episodes From Liberty City, for actually 1p less than that balaclava at £8.74. Bear in mind that GTAs 1 and 2 are already free, but that’s still one heck of a lot of automobile crime without the broken glass and prison sentence. (Thanks to Michael Rose for the tweeted tip.)

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. einholt says:

And the offers on for six more days!!

2. Berzee says:

But with the first way you also get a balaclava.

I would rather have a balaclava than all the GTA games, personally.

• James G says:

I’d rather baklava than a balaclava.

Edit: Offer itself is pretty neat though. I enjoyed the 2D GTAs, but then played SA, which I wasn’t a fan of. Felt a bit uncomfortable with the characterization.

Edit again: Whoops, and my reason for bringing it up was to ask whether GTA IV is worth it. As I understand it Nico is a somewhat better developed character, and not just an Eastern European stereotype.

• Gundato says:

Niko is definitely as fleshed out (if not moreso) than the dude from San Andreas. And while he is far from likeable, the supporting cast is great (the McReary’s are awesome).

Plus, you basically play the bank heist from Heat in one of the missions. That alone is worth the price of admission.

• jonfitt says:

Yes the bank heist is a fun mission… until you have to replay it and the tedious 5 minute drive’n'talk 10 times because you screw up or fail to lose the cops before flipping your car over.
      At that point you put the game down, walk away, and curse Rockstar for their hideous lack of checkpoints and console-centric refusal to include quick-save.
      This is how every GTA since 3 has ended for me. (The first two were never about more than trying to rack up huge swathes of destruction for me). They are excellent sandbox games limited by terrible patchy missions with spiking difficulty, and an awful save structure.
      Grand Theft Horsie was better, at least they had mid-mission checkpoints.

• Heliocentric says:

Often much if you don’t want to drive you can hail a taxi and skip the journey, I do that alot… I Unless brucee is your friend, and then it can be a helicopter.

• scienceshoew says:

Y’know, I found Niko a little too well-developed; the Vice City and SA guys I could imagine being murderous thuggish jerks, but Niko seemed a bit too human to be doing those things I was making him do. That kinda killed GTA IV for me, and I lost interest in playing a little way through.

Also not helping: all that in game NPC socialising, having to log into Steam, GFWL, and Rockstar Social Club and it not running very well on my decent-enough computer.

But, on the other hand, lots of good smart people love it, so I’d take my opinion with a grain of salt.

EDIT: Oh, and as this is through gamersgate, that’s one less layer of login!

3. TheApologist says:

Woop! Purchasified

4. Ian says:

GTA 2 is clearly the best one.

5. airtekh says:

That’s quite the bargain.

If I didn’t already own or have played every GTA to date then I would most certainly take them up on it.

GTA 2, San Andreas and EFLC are my personal faves.

6. Vandelay says:

Shall be purchasing. Even though GTA3 and Episodes From Liberty City are the only ones I don’t have (excluding the two free ones,) that is still a bargain.

7. Tams80 says:

A great bargain. Already got them all in a Rockstar steam deal though.

You don’t get an adrenaline rush buying it though.

8. welsh19 says:

but what about GTA London? that is the real deal!

9. TheApologist says:

Does anyone have any good mods to suggest? – particularly for the GTA3, Vice City, San Andreas era games

10. applecado says:

How does gamersgate work – are they steam codes, or do I have to download from them, or are they posted?

TIA.

• wccrawford says:

It’s a competitor to Steam, so no, no Steam codes. Sadly.

• sharks.don't.sleep says:

Haven’t downloaded them yet but I already bought games at Gamersgate and one was a Steam code (Just Cause 2) whether my Tropico 3 was a non-steam game where you entered the code at the first launch of the game.

Gamersgate has it’s own little installer for each game which downloads the game files and launches setup.

• bear912 says:

Just Cause 2 uses Steamworks, and therefore must be activated on Steam, no matter where you buy it. None of the GTA games use Steamworks, so none of them require activation through Steam, and almost certainly can’t be voluntarily activated on Steam, sadly.

• StingingVelvet says:

Gamersgate is basically GOG with DRM, similar to Direct2Drive. You download an exe file to install without a client (back it up during installation if you want) from a simple list on your account page. If the publisher wants DRM on the game then it has DRM on it.

These GTA games use a SecuROM activation, but the old no-cd cracks work if you’re okay with that (like moi).

Got this set despite owning all of these already in some form or another. Nice simple download versions for archiving.

11. Koozer says:

The problem is all the good ones are free anyway.

12. DickSocrates says:

Hmmm… I wonder if my laptop, the specs of which have not changed since I last tried to run GTAIV, will now magically run it better than then?

Might be a good way to pass the time before Arkham City. I haven’t played Vice City in a long time.

13. el_Chi says:

This would be fantastic if it didn’t involve Games for Windows Live.
    My Hotmail account has been blocked, meaning I can’t log into GfWL, meaning I can’t play GTA IV or EFLC – games which I have already bought, legally, with money.
    Always nice to be a legitimate customer treated with utter contempt by vendors.

Alas.

• Dozer says:

It’s a shame there’s no other way to obtain the executable files and data of a game you’ve legally purchased a licence to use except through the prescribed vendor software. If only such freedom were possible.

• sinister agent says:

Yeah, I was very pissed off at having to install all these stupid wanking club programmes just to play a game that has nothing whatsoever to do with the pointless crap they offer, none of which I want.

Fortunately, the kind people of the internet have provided ways to circumvent all that bollocks. But still. Very annoying. Can you imagine if you went to do your shopping up the road, and the people at the till took your money, but then refused to let you eat unless you joined their special club, and let them put adverts all over your house while you ate?

It’s ridiculous that games publishers force this shit on people.

14. whydidyoumakemeregister says:

Has anybody played GTA3 or Vice City on Windows 7? I couldn’t really get them to run in Windows 7 no matter what kind of compatibility settings I used. Vice City would stutter constantly, so driving a car was pretty much impossible, and 3 had weird opacity issues with all of the HUD/menu stuff. The Rockstar website’s patches section hasn’t worked in over a year, and I got into a long conversation with their customer support that I swear were just fucking with me with their responses. These were the original CD copies, mind you, so maybe the GamersGate files are already up to date and working?

• TheApologist says:

Just ran Vice City on Win7 64-bit. Ran like a (violent cocaine fuelled) dream.

• airtekh says:

I’ve played Vice City on my Windows 7 32-bit.

I had some problems initially. Running with VSync disabled meant the game ran smoothly but cutscenes took an eternity to load, whereas having VSync enabled meant I was stuck with horribly slow, Playstation-like frame rates.

I had to download a 3rd party frame rate limiter to get it to work properly.

• StingingVelvet says:

I found the cutscene loading issue was solved by running the game in Windows XP mode (Vice City).

• DickSocrates says:

Gah, this has made me think twice. I just recently COMPLETELY FAILED to get Fallout 3 to run on Windows 7, having tried literally every fix I could find.

15. Dozer says:

Craaap. I got them from Steam for £20 two weeks ago – long enough to get to a really stupid mission in San Andreas, where there’s a long tedious fight without any checkpoints immediately followed by a car-chase on top of a hill in a car that is too light to climb up grassy slopes.

That said, if this offer uses GFWL, I’d rather pay the extra £11 to not have GFWL.

edit: hang on. Is that GFWL for GTA4? My PC barely runs San Andreas, let alone GTA4…

16. Avish says:

GTA 4 is a rather good game with some great characters.

However, I never got too far into the story, because the horrible checkpoint system caused one of my biggest gaming rage since I was a raging teenager…

• DickSocrates says:

Strange, I never had a single issue with check pointing in this game. I don’t doubt you, but I can’t even remember what part you may be referring to. The GTA game are generally designed to be played deliberately rather than frantically. Races can always be won by taking it carefully and methodically.

17. Heliocentric says:

There are some horrifically despicable design decisions in GTA San Andreas, and the gang warfare just resets at one point wiping out all of your progress, and mandatory flying missions with a terrible flight model, “humour” that veers a little to far, massive tracts of empty land and worst of all the problem that remained unfixed until gta4 and the mobile phone and taxis, long trips to restart missions.

18. roryok says:

Never used gamersgate before – is there DRM? Do I have to install anything?

This is on the about page:

GamersGate is the leading digital distribution platform for PC and Mac games

Ahem. Is it?

• Janek says:

Basically when you buy a game, you’re given a dinky little exe to download. When you run it, it’ll ask for your Gamersgate login and password, then download the game itself (which can be stopped/resumed/etc) and will then launch the installer at the end. Once it’s done, it’s done and can be deleted.

Beyond that username and password, there’s no DRM, but there may be extra DRM depending on the publisher. The store page should state this clearly alongside the system requirements.

As for their claims, yeah I did raise an eyebrow at that. Cheeky beggars (though to be fair, they’re probably second only to Steam). Certainly my favourite digital retailer though.

Edit: Though thinking about it, I guess that page could date to before Steam started doing Mac games? Eh, whatever.

19. Kefren says:

I hate creating extra accounts, so when I have to I use deletable ones with random passwords from a Guerillamail address. When I complete the game/purchase I just forget them. It’s no hassle to do it again if I decide to play it again in a few years. Question: if I bought GTA4 on GG and did this, then decide to replay it in a few years, would I be able to, or would the game have been tied to the dead account? I think this has GFWL AND some Rockstar nonsense, so I suspect I might end up not being able to play but can’t find a definitive answer. That’s one of the reasons DRM is shit, it’s hard to know what the implications are.

• sinister agent says:

I don’t know about gfwl etc, but gamersgate itself soooort of ties downloads to your account. You download an exe file that initiates a download of the game’s setup files, and then when the download is complete, double-clicking the “install.exe” (or whatever) file of the game itself will not work – you have to click the GG downloader file again.

However, when you open the GG downloader file, the “install.exe” file reverts to a normal one that CAN be directly accessed, so at that point, you can copy it into another folder, then close the GG downloader, and copy it back again. You’ll then be able to install the game without an internet connection or without fiddling about with GG.

Until a few months ago I had no other way to actually play the games I bought from them, as my game PC wasn’t the same one as my internet PC.

However, if there’s third party DRM such as a code check, that may still require an internet connection, but that’s independent of GG, I believe.

20. DickSocrates says:

It’s the best deal at the moment, but Steam did have a complete sale for this stuff before and will again, no doubt. Can’t remember what that price was.

And there’s another issue. The 3 versions of GTAIV in this deal consist of GTAIV and the other pack that contains Lost and the Damned and Gay Tony. This means, if you want all 3 on your system at the same time, IV will be deparate from the other two. On Steam (perhaps elsewhere) there is a version that contains all 3 games in one package, which share the data so you don’t end up with two separate 8Gb installs.

21. sinister agent says:

Gah. Sorry if this has been done, but I’m having very annoying problems with GTA4 and don’t know where to look, as there are so many old bug and performance complaint threads about the game that I can’t pick out the problem I’m having. The game has very slow loading times, but that’s something I can live with for now. But when it does load (I skip the intros – yawnarama, I don’t care why I’m in a city where I can steal any car and run anything over, thanks), I get really high frame rates, but then random pauses for several seconds for no apparent reason, at least every 4 or 5 seconds. It’s not a framerate drop – the game freezes in time when it happens (though the radio still plays).

My PC should be able twice what GTA can throw at it, so I don’t think it’s a specs issue. Would anyone be able to help?

22. vecuccio says:

Your link gives a price of UKP34.95 !! Are you scamming people and getting paid by these people to send traffic their way ?

Comment on this story