Space Scaled Back: Blue Libra

By Adam Smith on October 17th, 2011 at 4:05 pm.

much of space is emptiness, which makes space a lot like the life of man

I spend a lot of time playing strategy games, but sometimes it feels like I spend more time learning how to play strategy games. It says something about the complexity of the games and a frightening amount about the lack of complexity of my brain that by the point I’ve figured out how to balance my economy and marshall my troops, I’m often ready to move onto the next thing. Therefore, I can be pleasantly surprised by a strategic offering that only takes minutes to learn and Blue Libra is just such a game. The line-drawing controls and simplicity betray its app store roots, but nonetheless I found something oddly compelling about its single screen systems and brief scenarios. There’s a demo here and more thoughts below.

There’s an overarching plot in Blue Libra, about a race on the brink of destruction attempting to claim back their home world but it’s not particularly important and could be replaced by a plot about a violent empire expanding into unknown territory. Heck, you could probably replace the planets with various fruits and the ships with fruit flies and make it about some sort of insect war. It all comes down to entering new systems, each of which contains a small collection of planets and/or space stations and/or ripened fruits, then seizing control of everything.

Production is automatic, with every node churning out units until a command point limit is reached, so as ships are destroyed replacements are automatically constructed. Owning more nodes increases command points, thereby allowing for larger fleets, so every level becomes a race to conquer as quickly as possible. Fall behind and more often than not its curtains. Space curtains.

The only things the budding fleet commander need worry about are the types of unit under construction and the deployment of those units. For example, the Blue Libra itself, which is the command ship that must be protected at all costs, could be set to produce fighters and bombers, but with 80% of effort put towards fighters. So, four fighters for every one bomber.

As the campaign progresses, larger ships become available and, unfortunately, that’s where the game stumbles. Hordes of small ships seem just as useful as fleets made up of a mix of classes and there’s no real sense of specific units countering other types. The situation isn’t helped by the tiny representations of those ships, which mean it’s easier to rely on simply watching fleet sizes drop to work out how a battle is playing out.

Despite that, I still think I’m going to play this through to completion. On a Monday, it’s a good thing that I don’t have to worry if my ships have fuel or the correct star drives. I’m happy that interplanetary warfare involves nothing more than drawing lines between planets to attack or defend. The demo will be enough to let you know if you want to spend £2.99 for more. I just wish there was a skirmish mode to go with the rather small campaign. I suppose you could call it a coffee break game and I do drink a lot of coffee.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , .

1. magnus says:

What about the finely balanced gameplay?

2. Bluerps says:

Sounds similar to Eufloria.

3. Inigo says:

So it’s basically Galcon/Eufloria with finicky controls.

4. Brian Rubin says:

Ohhh, new space game, thanks! I’ll put this on my bloggy thing. :)

5. Cinek says:

I plaid the iPad version if it. Not really a great game IMO. Reminds Phage Wars more than anything else and… well, I think I got tired of “jump here, jump here, jump here” strategy games. It has oversimplified gameplay with ridiculously easy missions till about half of game and later on when big ships come in it’s just randomizer game cause you hardly know what’s going on thanks to brilliantly deep descriptions and distinction of ships roles as well as stunning graphics which let you catch what is what at the first glance.
    IMO: 5/10 at most.
    Definitely not worth 4 Euro. IMO: max price for this would be 0,79E. And that’s if they fix difficulty curve. (ps. yes, I actually have completed the iPad edition)

6. MiniMatt says:

I’ve been “working” on a space game for the last 10 years. By which I mean, of course, I get all fired up for about an hour, write about 20 lines of code, then get distracted by a squirrel and lose my train of thought for another year.

Anyway, I’m now inspired to retool my meagre efforts as a fruit fly / apple game. Doomsday weapons shall be fly swats and asteroid belts replaced by strips of sticky fly paper.

7. armaankhan says:

Wasn’t really impressed. Maybe I’m not getting the subtleties of the game, but the demo makes it seem like the key to victory is building more ships faster than your opponent.

Will someone make a 2D top-down Nexus pwz? That’s the game I want to play.

8. AntonioH5346 says:

mat kinh hang hieu
    Bellatrix was once a guard at a shopping station, however she was not content with this career due to the lack of major crime or action; she wanted this dream of taking out a serious offender to become true and unknown to her, it would happen so in a matter of weeks. When that crime happened, Bellatrix was not prepared for the carnage that occured. A local Zelemi wandered into the station acting strangely and frothing at the mouth, among the guards called to control the situation was Bellatrix. One of her co-workers tried to escort the disruptive being calmly, only to receive a nasty bite to the neck. Soon he too began to act savagely and even bit a random civilian; the spread of the Darkspore infection was only beginning.