SW:TOR Recognises There Are No Oceans

By John Walker on October 17th, 2011 at 10:04 am.

Yeah, you think you look cool, but you look a bit of a twerp.

When twas announced that Star Wars: The Old Republic was releasing on the 22nd December in Europe, people stared at the screen and mumbled, “But… Christmas?” Admittedly it was only slightly louder mumbling than that from America, where the given date was the 20th. An odd choice, presumably trying to capture that elusive, “I hate my family” market, but one that’s at least been made slightly less odd by bringing them together. Us EU types will now be seeing the game on the same day as you US types, which both acknowledges that there are no oceans on the internet, and that people might want to get to level 15 before Santa arrives. How do we know this? Joystiq told us so. We’ll have lots of lovely new SW:TOR info for you in a few days.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. fionny says:

Um SWTOR told me themselves a few days ago:

2. NegativeZero says:

There may be no Atlantic Ocean on the Internet, but there is still a Pacific – Australia & New Zealand are still the great unwashed who are unworthy of being given even a release date, let alone getting to play with everyone else at launch.

• LucasClarkel says:

Exactly, and how many other oceans are there that Bioware still won’t cross!

• Spaldy says:

I was excited about this title a while back, but yeah, “No Oceans” is pretty far from accurate.

Now, I’m not so impressed. I’ve cancelled any information updates, removed my rss feeds, etc. There’s no point in monitoring a game that I’m not going to be allow to play.

• hotcod says:

As far as I’m aware if you import a EU or US copy you’ll be able to play the game. You just won’t be officially supported.

• Stormbane says:

I was upset about this as well but I had a look on Amazon and buying it in the states and paying the US$ 20 shipping comes to about NZ$90. Which is about how much you can expect to pay for a PC game at retail here anyways. So I was upset about the high prices of games instead.

• alinos says:

@hotcod, that may be the case. But the way people keep reporting this is like EA have done everyone a favor and are giving everyone SWTOR.

Except it’s not true their are still a bunch of countries not getting it.

And have you seen the release date Tuesday the 20th of december. Over here in australia that would be the wednesday 21st our time not sure for other countries.

But unless they ship it here in 2 days(which even with their fastest shipping iv’e never had Amazon or anyone else do that. It’s saturday and the mail don’t come. Coupled with the fact that Saturday and sunday are xmas eve and xmas. that means that most of the mail sorting centres are shut.

then on the 26th of december(the monday) Australia has the Boxing day holiday(not sure about other countries

Meaning a weeks wait if there is no grace period. Yet they could solve all these problems by allowing us to buy the game digitally. Just put a disclosure in there, you are not supported their will be no oceanic servers you will not have a free server transfer when we put them up

3. Dlarit says:

So this global warming melting the ice caps and raising the sea level is a load of crap? Damn duped again…

Shakermaker says:

“We’ll have lots of lovely new SW:TOR info for you in a few days.”

Ooooh exciting. Can’t wait for new previews.

5. Meat Circus says:

But… Christmas?

6. philbot says:

There may be no oceans between US and EU any more.. I just hope Australia doesn’t get left out.

• RC-1290'Dreadnought' says:

Surely you are just as aware as Bioware, that Australia is on a different planet.

7. ReV_VAdAUL says:

“An odd choice, presumably trying to capture that elusive, “I hate my family” market”

The coveted 15-24 male demographic.

8. Chris says:

Just before Christmas is a good time to release a blockbuster MMO.

They will be able to address any teething problems on a low server load.

• ReV_VAdAUL says:

Wont server load be higher because more people are off work and thus free to play the game?

• fionny says:

Thats what I wouldve thought too.

• Azhrarn says:

Christmas also happens to be the time of year when most people will have less time to play games because of all the family obligations they have. (visits, long dinners, etc) So I imagine server loads will be relatively low during the actual holidays, the rest of the time will be rather busy I imagine.

Thermal Ions says:

And won’t the SW:TOR developers also be off work, thus no patches for said teething problems?

But what do I care, I’m one of those people from a country that apparently doesn’t exist.

• utharda says:

Its a little known fact but the lead on the SWTOR team is Lee Ving, of fear fame. Hes hoping to drive up radio play of the classic single F Christmas.

• alinos says:

I remember the first Xmas after Half Life 2 came out. Steam was screwed for about a week as a result of it.

but that was early days and they probably weren’t expecting the massive influx

9. Flukie says:

I thought for a second that there was no swimming mechanics in the game and was ready to read comments saying “Well at least Guild Wars 2 has great swimming combat” but this is another issue entirely.

Still that release date seems stupid to me, too close to Christmas either bring it back a few weeks or forward a few. As for no oceans thing, well I can trick most servers into thinking that I live across the imaginary ocean by appearing there for a bit so I don’t mind as long as the servers don’t ban me for doing so.

10. malkav11 says:

The 20th isn’t really much better than the 22nd from a Christmas perspective. I wish they’d release it something more reasonable, like December 1st, or perhaps January 1st.

11. utharda says:

Also, in NA we’re still pissed about the aussie/kiwi guilds in EQ killing our raid bosses while we slept. No game for you.

12. glocks4interns says:

Pretty disappointed with this entry. The coverage on this site is pretty clearly biased against TOR (mostly because it is in the WOW mold it seems). To have a AAAAAA title announce it is doing a simultaneous release in NA & Europe seems like there should be some amount of praise.

Isn’t this exactly what RPS was asking for? Sorry you couldn’t get it on a game you liked more. I have a feeling if this had been say DX:HR the announcement post would have had quite another tone.

Durkonkell says:

Wha?! The only thing that this post is critical of is how close to Christmas the release is (still!), which I think is a valid observation. “We’ll have lots of lovely new SW:TOR info for you in a few days” hardly seems downbeat either…

• stupid_mcgee says:

I can’t peak for RPS editors, or even the RPS user-base, but, to me, news regarding TOR has been a consistent downturn. I’ll probably check it out someday, but it seems like each announcement significantly reduces my anticipation, and I’ve been following this since it was announced that BioWare had opened a studio in Austin, TX to work on a “yet unnamed MMO.” So, yeah. After years of hype, they’ve managed to completely turn me off from this game just during the past 6 months. Going with full-on subscription fees, Origin exclusivity, and having to pay extra to pre-order? Wow! Way to make me not want to give you my money.

I could handle the subscription fee, especially while I check it out for the first two or so months, but I would much rather have them do the Guild Wars model, which could be really successful for something like TOR. (the SW universe is rife with material for numerous expansions) I’m sure they could still make good money by releasing an expansion every 3-4 months and charging $45-$50 for it. That would equal out to about the same as subscription fees and you know people would buy them. After all, this is what Riccitiello hinted at a long time ago when he said that subs were outdated and unneeded, and that they were looking at different pricing models other than subscription fees.

Origin is fine and all, but I would much rather prefer to be able to buy TOR on whatever distribution platform I choose. I mean, isn’t Bioware supposed to be their own company, and not a wholly owned EA subsidiary? That’s what Dr. Ray says all the time. So, why are they acting like complete EA toadies, then?

Lastly; pre-order fee. Pre-order fee. Pre-order fee. WTF!? If this is part of EA’s way of building a fanbase for Origin and showcasing their service, it’s a pretty shit-poor way to do it. It just further proves to the naysayers that Origin really is nothing more than a rebundled version of their previously failed and loathed download service that is now being propped up with anti-competitive practices.

If others are excited about various aspects of TOR that I find distasteful, then fine for them. If others don’t see a problem with the largest video game publisher using these practices, then that’s just, like, your opinion, man. If they want to take EA’s word that Origin is really a solid investment on EA’s part and not just some way to try to cash-in regarding favorable digi-distro market analyst reports, then they can. I’m not here to tell people what to do or what to think. They can make up their own damn minds. I’ve made up mine and I’ve become utterly disinterested in this once promising affair.

• Coriolis says:

You know mcgee, before going into a full-rant you could check whether you know what you’re talking about.

1) The digital d/l is origin exclusive. The retail is not, and you can use codes from any retailer to d/l the game before it launches for early access/etc. They’ve also stated that you will not need to login or otherwise deal with Origin to login to the game if you don’t want to.

2) The fee is towards the price of the game, so you pay 5 now, 55 later. The total price isn’t any different for a pre-order. Although I will grant that the Origin website does not make this very clear until you’ve already pre-ordered.

3) If you don’t like subscriptions, fine, but this has been known for a long time, and many people prefer (such as myself), prefer subscription MMO’s to so called free-to-play ones.

As for the tone of RPS… *shrug* it’s no more different then their usual tone when discussing an MMO heh. The dislike of MMOs from the editors is the only thing I don’t like about this website and it’s not that big of a deal, I just get my MMO news elsewhere.

• malkav11 says:

Origin asks you to put down $5 ahead of time, like Gamestop and some local retailers. That’s kind of irritating, but whatever. As stated, it’s towards the price of the game. Steam and Direct2Drive and GreenManGaming all ask you to pay the full price of the game immediately on a preorder. Which would you prefer?

13. aircool says:

Eh? What’s the big deal about the release date being close to christmas? It’s not as if anyone does christmas any more. After all, the pre-christmas advertising has started, and judging by the last few years, the post christmas sales should be starting sometime in December. Come december 25th, you’ll be wishing christmas didn’t exist and complaining that no-one celebrates the winter solstice anymore.

No sure what the big hoo-ha is all about.

14. deadly.by.design says:

But I thought “real” MMO players didn’t care about such contrivances as family get-togethers anyway?

15. IncredibleBulk92 says:

Yay! I now no longer have to decide between my girlfriends birthday or the TOR release. Guess I’ll have to buy a present after all :p

16. stupid_mcgee says:

Wow… Not to heap more disrespect onto Origin, but after checking to see how much the Limited Edition for TOR is, I noticed this little line: “Includes $5 Pre-Order Fee

Seriously? Usually when you you pre-order, you get a discount, not having to pay extra in fees. As if I really needed another reason to dislike EA’s ruse of simply smearing lipstick on a pig and calling it Origin.

• Wulf says:

This was discussed a while back, and the discussion split up into two camps:

– I will be ripped off and conned out of any amount of money because it is Bioware/Star Wars. Selotape a Bioware logo to a hat, put a £100 price tag on it, and I will buy it. My faith in TOR is akin to an impregnable fortress. Attempt to impregnate my fortress if you dare!

– I won’t be ripped off even if it is Bioware/Star Wars, because I’m a sensible person who tends to have more common sense than money, and paying for a preorder is as ridiculous a waste of money as anything could be. My faith in TOR has been shook by this.

:P

17. Mihkel says:

Wow that’s fucking funny considering I can’t buy it where I live, despite living in the EU.