TERA Still Coming Out, Apparently

By Jim Rossignol on October 18th, 2011 at 1:54 pm.

Is it really better to fight a couple of big dudes, or a lot of smaller dudes?
A couple of days ago a friend asked me “what ever happened to that TERA game? It looked pretty.” It certainly did look pretty, and I can see why he lost track of it, because I had too. It wasn’t actually the prettiness that they were touting way back when we first looked at it in February last year, but more the “action combat”. There’s a bit of that illustrated in the second trailer, below, but I’m still not enormously convinced it’s a world away from other MMOs, and this blighter is going to be up against Guild Wars 2, which I don’t envy for it.

Anyway, it is still coming out, in Spring 2012.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Hoaxfish says:

I’m in the “er, didn’t this come out already” group. Maybe I’m getting it confused with something else.

• Chalky says:

It was released in Korea. Didn’t do very well, the development director resigned over the poor reception.

I wouldn’t hold your breath!!

• DrGonzo says:

That’s not quite true is it? At least that article you linked to tells a different story.

• Chalky says:

“This decision was said to be due to the game not meeting expectations and hitting planned targets. Korea gamers are also very verbal in showing their unhappiness towards the state of the game, in addition to sliding popularity and “ghost” servers, contributing to Mr Park’s resignation as well. “

Not sure how you’re reading that, but “not doing very well” and “resigning due to the poor reception” seems to fit pretty well.

• DrGonzo says:

The article states that a legal battle had ‘taken a toll on Mr Park’s health both physically and mentally.” That the company had asked him to stay, which he refused.

• Chalky says:

It says that the legal battle had also taken a toll on him. In addition to the game being an abject failure. What’s your point?

The reason he gave was the poor performance of the game. Are you trying to say that because he was also stressed out from being sued for stealing the Lineage 2 source code, this some how means the game didn’t do poorly??

2. CaspianRoach says:

Gameplay videos of the MMOs you haven’t played before always look so confusing. Especially when there’s multiple players on the screen. All I see is -flash- -flash- -strike- -strike- -flash-

3. Ross Angus says:

It’s funny how MMORPGs have developed their own art style, Glitch and Salem excepted. Why does everything have to look the same? Big spiky dudes! Midriffs! Spooky trees!

• Hoaxfish says:

I think at least some of it is based on the problem of displaying a lot of people all at the same time, and low spec machines so you can hit a larger audience.

So they kinda mix relatively low-poly models, with “distinct” armour, relatively low visual-complexity textures… and come out with a sorta WoWness.

Then thematically, they make everything like a theme-park.

Visit “spooky” zone, then “lava” zone, then “arctic” zone.

• Ross Angus says:

Good point. I’m tempted to say “they’re the shopping malls of computer games”, but that sounds a bit elitist. I hope some of the more visually distinct MMORPGs takes off, and shows them diversity is possible.

• Hellraiserzlo says:

I think that it’s because they are all trying to appeal to the asian crowd too.

• Shuck says:

Most MMOs are coming out of Korea (or China), so they’re setting the style to a large degree. Also there’s a huge number of Korean artists working in the game industry outside Korea, spreading that visual style. The game industry is really conservative in terms of art direction, too – there’s a couple “approved” art styles to which many larger companies insist their artists adhere.

• pertusaria says:

“I want to play a MMORPG set in a mining town in the 1950s, in Lancashire. In a L. S. Lowry art style.”

If it gets made, I’ll play it. Love Lowry. :-)

4. ReV_VAdAUL says:

I watched a video of Total Biscuit playing this at Gamescom (I think) and thought it looked kinda cool, went to the website and saw the school girl race and the chain mail bikinis and didn’t waste any more time thinking about the game.

• Orija says:

Sounds like my kind of game.

• Magnetude says:

The last bit of news I heard about this game was that they were swapping out the little elf girl things for something less… paedo, for the international release. But then I could have sworn it came out already so what do I know.

• Orija says:

Why were they put in the first place?

• Magnetude says:

Because men like looking at bums.

• Orija says:

My point being about the redundancy of adding all that titillating stuff and then removing it.

• cosmicolor says:

It’s worth nothing that the censorship has absolutely enraged a lot of the playerbase of the game, who apparently just really want to look at suspiciously-young girl-things not wearing much. The censorship itself looks a bit halfarsed, sure, but the amount of rage generating over it is pretty worrying. The thread is at http://www.tera-online.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22088 but I would warn those at work not to read it for borderline-NWS video game content.

• Big Daddy Dugger says:

I mean I haven’t seen the pre-change pictures but looking at those you just linked… if those seem sexual to you then that’s YOUR problem because they just look like pretty standard cutesy anime characters to me.
      Also lol this game looks terrible but maybe I’m just biased having been looking forward to guild wars 2. Dual pistol thief GO!

5. Magnetude says:

Korea got all that stuff, which is getting cut for international release innit

Edit: Replum fum.

6. fallingmagpie says:

Tera Patrick is gay? Hot.

7. KauhuK says:

The only point of this game being sexy lady characters with revealing armors kinda misses the point in the west because they are cencoring all of that out of the game. No cute lolirace characters or delicious (human/elf/humanlikewhatever) ladycharacters. As I said, those were the only point in this game and without them it’s your basic grindfest mmo ala Aion and the like.

8. wizardface says:

This was supposed to be a competitor for blade and soul from the former lineage 3 team. The main selling point, being one of the first MMO’s (when announced) with action style combat. but due to delays with KR releases and and delays with localisation, they have missed the bar. Dragons nest / vindictus do action combat well, so all this really has going for it is the political system (reason everyone still plays liniage 2) and its pretty graphics. I personally think Tera will only hold a player base untill blade and soul is released in the west.

9. eleclipse says:

Played since the first fgt to the last test, they took too long for just ruining the game.

Honestly it was much better at the time of the fgt, the last test was just.. boring. The fact that is taking so much time is not helping too.

10. cosmicolor says:

To give some insight on this game’s supposed badness I will throw up this link: http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/08/01/rumor-teras-korean-development-director-resigns/

While it is another story about the director resigning which was already posted above, the real meat of the page is the comments, which give various views into why the game crashed and burned in Korea. From what it seems like, Tera got a poor showing all around.

11. malkav11 says:

I have heard that it’s like Vindictus, but better. And certainly very pretty. This would have captured my interest, but it turns out that they’re going with the increasingly antiquated full-price-box-plus-$15-a-month-subscription pricing plan, and I’m not that interested.

12. Tunips says:

That screenshot reminded me of Frazetta’s painting of The Frost Giant’s Daughter.
    Makes me realise how much I long for biomechanical dynamism in games, rather then each actor rooted to the spot taking turns with their premade attack animation.

Hmm. Toribash. Overgrowth. Even GTA4 (sort of). Let’s put those on a frozen mountaintop with an art filter.