Cactus’ Keyboard Drumset Loving Werewolf

By Adam Smith on October 19th, 2011 at 11:31 am.

This is how Track And Field always ended for me

Note my romantic idealisation. You see, it’s actually Keyboard Drumset Fucking Werewolf and it’s like Ice Climbers but with a deliciously engaging maniac singing a catchy song. But then, no, it’s suddenly like falling to a horrible demise while the same maniac becomes irate and uses ‘gay’ in a fashion that will surely offend some people. Argh, but no, it’s not that either, it’s a button mashing, vomit-strewn lycanthropic transformation sequence, and now there’s chasing and slicing and killing while the song becomes ever stranger.

What it is, as well as all those things and more, is a new downloadable game from Cactus. I suspect the song will be stuck in my head for the rest of the day, for it is a malicious and worrying ear-worm. Probably with teeth. There’s a new trailer for the madcap developer’s entry into the IGF as well.

Life/Death/Island is the name of that upcoming oddity. Is it a more rational take on the narrative and themes of Lost? Is it the 8-bit survival horror game we’ve all secretly been waiting for? I suspect that whatever it is, it’ll be a blast to play.

Via Indiegames.

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Bodminzer says:

This fucking rules. Play the videogame, everyone.

e; the cool thing about Cactus games is that yeah their made primarily for art or looking cool or whatever, but their fun as hell. Looking forward to legions of sperglords waltzing in here to talk shit before returning to childrens cartoons about talking horses.

• Robin says:

“they’re”

Nice concept, broken and uninteresting gameplay.

• Bodminzer says:

Hahaha ‘I can’t play this because my reflexes have been destroyed by the steady pace of anime rape sims, BUT I TOTALLY DIDN’T WANT TO PLAY IT ANYWAY BECAUSE IT’S BORING SO NERRR”

• LimEJET says:

@bodminzer You, good sir, are an idiot.

• Echo Black says:

What is this “Bodminzer” chap’s problem?

• Tatourmi says:

Bodminzer, please, be civil, this is a gentlemen’s lounge.

• Wulf says:

Hey! Leave 30/30 out of this!! >8C

Oh, wait, he was probably talking about My Little Pony.

Protip: A pony is not a horse. No, a pony is a pony.

• LionsPhil says:

Princess Celestia looks pretty horsey to me.

2. Orija says:

Looks better than A valley without wind

• Tatourmi says:

Quite harsh for the devs to put it that way but yes, I do agree. What the windless valley’s problem is its lack of artistic coherence. Things look “pasted”, “out of place”. Here it is not the case, the graphics are coherent, and that makes it visually more pleasing, at least as far as I am concerned.

3. Pemptus says:

0:53: “Shot BEAR in THE FACE”
    It’s good to have Cactus in my life again.

Okami says:

*sigh*

Could people please, please, please stop assigning commands to Z and X? This leads to serious pain in the fingers for those of us using a QWERTZ layout keyboard. Or at least include an option to map functions to other keys.

1/10

• Hoaxfish says:

key-mapping at least gives a game the ability to choose your preferences…

blind_boy_grunt says:

do not panic, i’m here to solve all your problems:
      alt+shift usually changes your keyboard to english layout, made a lot of flash/indie games a lot more fun or like… playable.

• Tatourmi says:

Yes, it is a temporary solution, but believe me, constantly changing keyboard layout gets old after a while. And using the chat when in qwerty layout? Awful.

blind_boy_grunt says:

either you are trying to be contrary or you play way too many games. Or start the same game repeatedly over a short time. I don’t know but it was never a problem for me and the layout change doesn’t effect all the programs, just the one which was active when you changed it.

5. Woden says:

I’d like to be the first to say “what the fuck.”

And then I’d like to continue by saying “no seriously, what the fuck, and why is this so fun?”

6. destroy.all.monsters says:

You know I saw the headline and thought this was about Duane Hitchings for a moment.

7. Burky says:

This is a seriously difficult game. Mess up and you have to start from the start, which pretty much happens every time you progress to the next stage because the rules are completely different each stage. Not sure that’s a good thing. Every stage is fun to work out though.

The song and graphics are really great too.

8. LimEJET says:

The game is okay, but the song is seriously bad.

9. hosndosn says:

Nice to see he’s still around. Cactus was ahead of his time, largely inventing (or at least, popularizing) the indie games spirit as we know it today. But it got quiet around him.

Still can’t play his games because the excessive flashing lights give me headaches…

• LionsPhil says:

Sounds more like you’re describing Jeff Minter to me…

10. Echo Black says:

After much dying I got to the Contra part, then died. Too burned out to try again.

11. Eukatheude says:

It’s awesome, but the contra part is way too hard.

Sagan says:

Can someone please confirm that the Contra part is even possible? I have tried several times and just can’t make it. I think I’m almost as good as I’m gonna get, but I can’t get the horse head to die at all.

edit: It is possible. I just beat the boss. I think that all that matters is killing the horse head. Killing the other parts doesn’t do anything. To beat the boss you have to learn the pattern so that you don’t die. Once you manage to not die you can actually kill him fairly easily.

12. JFS says:

I couldn’t even get past the first transformation sequence. Also, I don’t get how to climb in the very first stage. Strange game.

13. caddyB says:

thanks rps for making me spend a lot of money again.

It’s good music though.

14. zhmmpp says:

top good games item,welcome to http://top4biz.com

15. Shooop says:

Great fun watching, but too goddamn frustrating to actually play.

16. dellphukof says:

As usual, awesome game, Cactus! I didn’t considered it hard at all (died 6 or 7 times), and I really like how the story is developed through level design and “titles” of the rooms.
    Now, I’ll keep waiting for Mondo Nation, Sky Pirates (that’s the name?), Shotgun Ninja 2, Tuning… So many nice projects!!! seo service.
    Ah, Cactus, are you still working on Brain Damaged Toon Underworld? There are any future plans for it? Will the switch from game maker be permanent?