Monumental: Kairo

By Adam Smith on October 19th, 2011 at 5:36 pm.

Some kind of tomb, perhaps? Raid it, I say.

If you were to ask me what two of my favourite things were, and I’m going to assume you just did, I’d have to say exploration and atmosphere, because I like discovering things and I like those things to be redolent of ancient myths, or failing that just to hum ominously. Kairo, which John covered in some detail back in the summer months. News now reaches us that Richard Perrin has entered the game into the IGF 2012 and to herald the occasion, here’s a new trailer.

Thick with atmosphere, isn’t it? A large world and plenty of puzzles await intrepid adventurers. An $8 preorder provides instant access to a preview build and the full game should be out sometime before the end of the year.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. sPOONz says:

Is this music from the film The Shining?

2. Pani says:

The music totally makes that video. The words disturbing, creepy, bizarre spring to mind.

It’s also a video that could be spliced with other music to give a completely different atmosphere. Now I’ll be waiting for someone to use tubedubber (or whatever it’s called) to blow my mind.

3. DigitalSignalX says:

So a series of 3D puzzles floating in open space you access via a first person perspective. So Myst without a plot or lovely graphics. Yawn?

• Prime says:

Sometimes less is more.

Pre-ordered.

• Rhin says:

Some of the levels look better than others, so hopefully lovely graphics are in the works. I dont’ think I can handle Myst without a plot though.

• Prime says:

Reminds me of the old Freescape adventures – Driller, Dark Side, Total Eclipse, Castle Master…but the mouselook is rather horrible. Any way to increase the speed to normal levels?

• Perrin says:

You should be able to adjust mouse look in the options. Also the game does have a story, it’s just not obvious from the start. In the full game things will be a bit more clear.

• Wulf says:

The plot and world really made the Myst games, especially in the case of Uru, which had some truly enthralling moments.

I do apologise for the music, there.

But yes, a bunch of puzzles is a bunch of puzzles. This looks mildly interesting, but still… not sure if want.

4. CaLe says:

Are the mouse controls absolutely atrocious for anyone else? Jerky movement and my mouse even refused to move in a certain section (The Red place with the TV screens). Really putting me off going any further with it.

• Perrin says:

I am completely rewriting the mouse look for the next build, adding in some smoothing to give it a nicer feel. For now you should be able to adjust the sensitivity in the options screen.

• CaLe says:

Ah that’s good to hear. Will I receive an e-mail to download the latest build when it’s ready or do I need to check the site? I do love the atmosphere, just wish I could look around the place without my screen jumping.

• Perrin says:

Yeah if you’ve per-ordered you will get a nice email every time I put out a new release.

• Prime says:

Adjusting the sensitivity doesn’t do much to enhance the experience, sadly. I’m still doing three or four full movements of the mouse just to get it to swing round 90 degrees. But I shall withhold rage due to the game’s alpha status, and it’s fascinating potential. :)

5. GiantRaven says:

That video tells me absolutely nothing about the game, except for the fact that I really want to play it for some reason. So…woo, I guess?

It looks pretty intriguing…whatever it may be.

6. Harbour Master says:

Stealing my thunder again, RPS. I only just wrote about Kairo yesterday. Well not from the IGF entry perspective, that is.

If you’re bothered by the clean, abstract visuals and sparse nature, then chances are it’s not for you, because that is Kairo’s primary selling point and the reason I threw my money into hat. If you like what you see, then it’s probably your kinda thing.

7. bill says:

I want to play this.

But I don’t want to pay 8 bucks to find out if it’s good… and the fact that I had the free download page bookmarked just when they decided to change to a paid alpha model is a little annoying.

Demo?

• Perrin says:

I was never planning to release Kairo for free but once the game is finished there will be a demo.

• bill says:

Ah. I must be remembering wrong. I remember reading about it a year or so ago, and i was pretty sure there was a download at that point.

Paid alpha is a valid model, and I hope it works out for you…. I guess i’m just impatient to try it, and too tight to pay to find out if i like it or not. ;-)

8. Brahms says:

Seems legit. This and Proteus look to be interesting games.