Rising Storm Approaches For Red Orchestra 2

By Jim Rossignol on October 19th, 2011 at 9:30 am.

Not my fucking sandcastle you bastards!
No, this storm is nothing to do with disgruntled gamers, and everything to do with with the Pacific rim-based expansion pack coming for Red Orchestra 2, which we have previously mentioned on a couple of occasions. 1c have, for some reason, released the first trailer, which you can see below. It’s looking a lot like Red Orchestra 2, only with more sunshine, more shattered palm trees, and 100% more US Army vs Japanese military. The expansion is currently dated for “2012”, which according to my calendar is next year.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Real Horrorshow says:

Is it still unclear if this is an expansion or mod?

• Jim Rossignol says:

It’s a commercial release, so it’s definitely an expansion (based on a mod.)

bear912 says:

An expandi-mod.

• danimalkingdom says:

So like M&B: With Fire and Sword then. Is this a growing trend that we should be happy/concerned about?

• Dom_01 says:

It’s too bad that this will be a commercial release.

While I have enjoyed RO 2, I can’t say I have enjoyed it so much to justify the $40 that I paid for the game. I was hoping that the mods that were already being developed for the would justify having paid that much money, as I was hoping the mods would be free. But, if they are going to ask money for this mod/expansion, then I have no choice but to not buy it. I just cannot convince myself to pay more money added on to the $40 I already spent on the game.

• ZenArcade says:

Happy if you like Red Orchestra, bad if you have an inability to ignore things not to your taste.

• Astroman says:

@ZenArcade

Wat? You mean inability to ignore a price tag? Because back in my day mods were free. Darkest Hour? Mare Nostrum? I think that’s what daanimalkingdom was getting at.

• El_Emmental says:

It is still unclear…

=> If the quality isn’t there, it will be a “simple” mod, free for all RO2 owners.

=> if Rising Storm ends up being really good, it will be an expansion pack (probably).

The thing is, the devteam is made out of volunteers / modders / professionals, and they plan on having a working build in 2012 (I would say late 2012).

Tripwire Interactive is providing technical and financial support to that hybrid team, and will provide “financial compensation” for those who contributed to the project.

You can rage all you want about RO2 being bugged (nb: I’m part of that angry-video-game-people mob, all low = 20 fps on Phenom II X4 @3.2 GHz – GTX 460), it won’t change the facts:
      1) Rising Storm is NOT Tripwire Interactive
      2) It might be priced something like $10-$15 (<= pure speculation) (I bet there will be price reduction for pre-orders, in-b4-reset, etc) if the project doesn't fail, so that's okay if it's actually FUN to play
      3) It's very unlikely that RO2 won't be fixed in the next 6-12 months (or TWI is over)

Yes, RnL, DH, MN are free mods. Yes they are good, fun and excellent (hmm DH… :D)

But they took years to go from "that good idea"/first Alpha to a decent Beta state.

Rising Storm is trying to be the "middle solution" :
      => not more than 1 year after RO2 release for a working Beta/Gold version
      => quick succession of patches (fixes and content), especially if the project turns into an expansion

Personally, it would be cool if it works : good mods would grow into “expansion packs” and stop being ghost towns.

The “mod => stand-alone commercial release” move worked for Red Orchestra 1 and Killing Floor , why not trying “mod => expansion pack” this time ?

• jawfun says:

@Astroman They’re are not doing this for every mod, what they are doing is helping small development teams get on their feet since they came from that background and where lucky enough to succeed so I don’t blame them for wanting to give other people the chance. The Development kit and all the tweaks and mods from the community will be free.

bear912 says:

I must admit that I was rather pleased to notice this earlier. Hopefully I get to use lots of Tommy guns and flamethrowers. It is a proven fact that flamethrowers objectively make games better.

3. Alexander Norris says:

But will it fix the MKb.42s?!

More seriously: I hope this is integrated with RO2 itself and you just get the new armies when the server switches to a Rising Storm map – otherwise, it’s going to divide the player community. That was always a really bad thing with the RO1 mods. :(

• kulik says:

Very much this.

• The Colonel says:

Yis.

• Potunka says:

Judging by the wording of the article, i.e., “expansion pack,” it will cost money. Not everyone will have it installed and thus, unfortunately, will not seamlessly transfer between eastern Europe and Pacific theaters.

It would be awesome if my interpretation of what “expansion pack” implies, or the accuracy of the article was wrong. I’m never wrong.

• Adam says:

^^ Yes this, and GOD I love RO2, can’t wait for this expansion. One question thou, how much?

4. Srethron says:

That sandcastle had it coming.

5. SanguineAngel says:

I love RO2 but I am 1)tragically bad at it due to NEVER SEEING THE ENEMY and 2) still unable to play properly due to bugginess.

I want to play you to death RO2 but it’s hard to love you right when you treat me so wrong

6. Hoaxfish says:

So, can I camp out on a small island and spend the next 50+ years thinking the war is still ongoing?

7. Bungle says:

I finally just stopped buying online FPS games. The new ones are either ghost towns or they’re CoD/Battlefield. Thank god my copy of TF2 still works.

8. Davee says:

Bring on the Pacific! I wonder if they’ll be going for even more gritty realism (a la Darkest Hour for Ostfront) or stay with the current semi-realism-semi-action-shooter that RO2 is.

And I’m also very interested in how they’ll handle the business model. Free or expansion – and how much will they charge us for it if it’s the latter (I don’t have a problem with paying the community for their work)?

9. GenBanks says:

I think the RO style of gameplay could be absolutely perfect for jungle warfare… I’m imagining lots of surprise melee encounters as you stumble into someone’s bush by accident, as well as some terrifyingly confused battles where you’ve crawled way behind enemy lines without realising :D

fingers crossed

• Potunka says:

Agreed, can’t wait to defend my bush from nefarious ne’er-do-wells with my hobo knife.

“Git mah bush!”

The Camping Bush – Bed, toilet and shelter all in one bush!

10. MistaJah says:

I don’t like much fighting on the brown- and-grey battlefields Heroes of Stalingrad offers. I would rather not see this as stand-alone expansion… because then I would see more value to my hasty purchase.

• Soender says:

Then imagine being put in that shit condition in real life. Because thats exactly what RO2 does a hell of a job of portraying.

11. The Colonel says:

More maps! More maps like Danzig please!

Chaz says:

I don’t know, along with Western Europe and the Eastern Front, the Pacific seems to be a bit over used in WW2 games. Italy has always struck me as being a brilliant location for a WW2 shooter, and yet it rarely seems to crop up. The Italy expansion for BF1942 was the last time I remember it given any real love, and jolly good fun it was too. I think Hidden and Dangerous 2 also did a good job of using some of the more underused locations, like North Africa and the Alps.

13. tigershuffle says:

now RO2 has had some patch love…….im enjoying it
    oh and i picked it up a couple of weeks ago for £15 :)

I love Darkest Hour so im sure this will be fine and I dont mind paying for a community led expansion cos they always seem to guarantee love n attention and post release after care :)

oceanclub says:

Is it true that the Japanese had no automatic/semi-automatic infantry weapons?

I did not know that. (And if it’s not true, I have been misinformed!)

P.

15. BoZo says:

Weird to call it Red Orchestra though…

16. foda500orama says:

Will definitely buy it if it runs at more than 25 frames per second on my rig.

17. Beardface says:

Red Orchestra is just barely approaching the level of polish I’d expect from a late beta title – they have lots of work to do before they should even consider releasing an expansion.

• El_Emmental says:

Rising Storm is developed by a mixed team of volunteers, modding veteran, freelance developers. Tripwire Interactive is only doing technical (edit: and light financial) support, helping them when needed.

Rising Storm development doesn’t delay Red Orchestra 2 patches.