We’ll Myth It: Mythos Europe Soon Dead

By Jim Rossignol on October 19th, 2011 at 9:17 pm.

This is a sad end to the story of Mythos. You might remember that this was the MMO being devloped by Flagship Seattle, a studio led by a band of ex-Blizzard employees, many of whom worked on the Diablo games. When Flagship floundered and died in 2008, the game was catapulted into limbo. Some months later it was given new life by Asian publisher HanbitSoft, who owned the IP and wanted to bring it to the Asian market. The game finally found its way to Europe via Frogster, who published it in April this year. Now, however, the company has announced that Mythos’ “long-term success unfortunately did not follow”. Consequently the game will be shut down at 11am UK time on the 27th of this month. Former Mythos players will all get vouchers for Frogster’s other game, Runes Of Magic.

What a shame. Another dead world committed to the abyss.

, .

1. Eclipse says:

fact is, there are too much free MMOs and none of them is even worth the time spent playing it, because sadly they’re all the very same stuff

• Hoaxfish says:

most of them are the very same stuff…

There are some which are different, but that’s not really a guarantee of success by itself.

I rather hope people understand that MMOs are not cash-cows for everyone… and these small companies start doing a lot of excellent single-player games (which when they don’t sell skip the whole lingering death that is a dying MMO).

lafinass says:

@Eclipse: Except that the original Mythos that never made it out of beta was not. It was fun and had lots of great things going for it. I really don’t understand what happened with it. They managed to degrade the graphics drastically and turned the English of the game into an almost parody worthy level of ‘Engrish’.

• Tavillion says:

I remember playing this back when it was a closed beta. They had two versions – one was simply instance based with hub towns, then they started to create an open world version with every dungeon instanced, but a large world to traverse. Both were fun (though I was partial to the orignal version), so had they actually continued to develop what was already there, we wouldn’t have another dead MMO. It’s a shame, really. I got SO excited about the beta when I was in and when I started exploring.

Then again, the same group that got me excited about that has me frothing at the mouth waiting for Torchlight 2, so I guess it all worked out in the end!

Eric says:

Mythos (at least in the beta) was very much not more of the same, and was the best MMO Diablo clone I’ve ever played – the best one we’re likely to see until the theoretical Torchlight MMO, should that ever come to pass.

I’m sad that it never made it back to the US market. I would’ve played around with it again for sure.

• Froibo says:

“was very much not more of the same”

“best MMO Diablo clone”

Hmmmm….

• aerozol says:

There’s MMO’s that are like Diablo? Slashing, hacking, casting, loot grabbing fun, with decent atmosphere?
      I honestly don’t know, but that sounds like something I would play with friends.

Edit: I know that general formula has been attempted, over and over, but has anyone managed to actually nail the feel, in an MMO?

2. Lobotomist says:

Thats what happens when you steal other mans work.

3. DevilSShadoW says:

This game was terribad. I mean just plain awful. Even by free to play standards it was horrible.

4. johnpeat says:

They spent longer messing about with it than it took it’s developers to completely re-create it (as Torchlight) FROM SCRATCH

It then lasted less time too – well done there.

I was signed-up for this in BETA and they never even emailled to say it was live – not that I cared by then.

5. zhmmpp says:

top good games item,welcome to http://top4biz.com

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

It is always sad in a way. I wish there was a museum you could go to where you could wander around the dead worlds of failed and shut down MMOs. Perhaps with some signs posted by former admins and players.

“This was where the player Roflpwncakes met his end at the hands of twenty players half his level in retaliation for the brutal corpse-camping he inflicted on them for six hours beforehand.”

“Gold farmers used to flock to this easily-farmed spawn until patch 10.5.6A buffed the NPCs for each time they were killed by the same player.”

“86.7% of all players drowned at least once in this lake.”

• DevilSShadoW says:

that…
      would be…
      amazing.

I’d take my kids there every day.
      Hell, I’d make kids just so I could take them there.

• gwathdring says:

That, my friend, is an incredible idea.

That would make an interesting RPG/Adventure game. Sort of a meta-gaming take on TRON. You play some sort of digital entity tasked with something or rather and the game ends up taking you through dead virtual worlds. I’m not sure what the hook would be though. The theme would likely be something about history and patterns, the way games influence one another and how poignantly un-influential most of the things behind us truly are.

Hmm. Maybe I could do something like that as a one-shot pen-and-paper RPG too … experiments commence!

• Jake says:

I just came to post that too, like how internet archaeologists try to dig up the remains of Geocities.

But alternatively, why not combine every failed or discontinued MMO into one giant MMO – with entire new games basically being expansion packs when they get discontinued and thus added in? It would be like worlds colliding: cartoon anime elves and stubbly future space soldiers teaming up to battle low polycount dragons and mine asteroids.

(I realise this couldn’t actually work in practise… or could it? No probably not).

• Shadram says:

I’d love that. The main reason I venture into MMOs on occasion is to explore the worlds: they’re always huge, considerably larger than any single player game, and often more interesting. If there was some way of being able to explore the worlds of now defunct MMOs, I’d totally subscribe to it. Matrix Online and Tabula Rasa are two that instantly spring to mind as worlds that I’d have liked to see.

7. MythArcana says:

Well, there’s always Torchlight ][ in a few weeks. It’s sad that this game has been cursed from day one…such a shame.

8. dontnormally says:

A proper Myth sequel?1?!?

Oh, no.

9. UnravThreads says:

I’ve got to say I’m not surprised.

I tried it and gave up within minutes. The camera was irritating, and visually it just didn’t gel for me. I found the tutorial annoying too, I think. Actually, I barely remember it. I think that says something about how quickly I gave up with it.

It’s a shame, of course, but really… The market is flooded with titles. Even the better made titles are struggling at times, and there’s just no room for lesser titles like Mythos. I hope the staff find positions elsewhere, though.

10. Dominic White says:

While the Mythos revival was a clear failure – they tried to change too much and mold it into something it wasn’t – Hanbitsofts revival of Hellgate: London (now Hellgate: Global, as they just added Tokyo in the last update) has actually gone shockingly well. The game is almost completely intact, but with the worst parts such as the terrible RTS missions cut out entirely, and a couple of new expansions worth of stuff added in their place.

People were afraid they’d add horrible soul-sucking grind to it, but it oddly enough seems to have gone the other way. Progression is faster than the original retail release, and loot drops a lot faster. So much so that one of the cash-shop items is an automatic disassembler that just mulches items below a certain rarity just by walking over them.

It seems to be doing quite well financially, too. If you want an F2P Diablo-like, you should have a look at it.

• alseT says:

I tried to play the revival as a marksman and couldn’t find any way to make it first person. Did they remove it entirely? Because that’s terrible if so.

• Baines says:

You can still get into first person view. Zoom the camera all the way in while wielding a gun, and you go into first person view. It is pretty much worthless. Because of the degree of auto-aim, you don’t need the bit of extra accuracy that first person view might offer. Worse though is that you lose the peripheral view gained from third person view.

As for good loot drops and grinding, I don’t know. The game seems *very* geared towards the cash shop. You seem to make good money, right up until you need to buy an Act III ticket. Then you quickly realize that 99% of your money was coming from quests. If you don’t want to use the real cash shop, you have to run two or three characters from start through the end of Act II to earn enough in-game money to buy an Act III ticket from the player auction house. The non-quest money rate is abysmal. You get a lot of item drops, but they sell for tiny values. (If you are buying healing or teleport objects, then you are probably losing money.)

As for the disassemblers, that is definitely gearing towards the cash shop through forced annoyance. Nearly everything you pick up will be junk to you. Nearly nothing will be worth taking to a shop. (The only thing worth selling are mods, as they take only one inventory space *and* sell for better values than any weapons or armor you find. And some of the 1 space consumables, mainly because they stack.) So you pick up everything and disassemble it, because component parts stack and you use them for some item upgrading and construction. But you can only carry maybe ten weapon/armor pick-ups at a time, and some enemies can drop several at once, so every few minutes you open your inventory and disassemble everything. And the Tetris-like inventory system means you might have space, but still not be able to pick stuff up unless you rearrange it, meaning you need to disassemble stuff even more often. And then the cash shop sells an item that auto-disassembles for you for a set number of hours… (And, likely just to hook people to the convenience, the game sends you a single free non-tradeable auto-disassembler when you hit something like level 5.)

• Dominic White says:

The rate at which you get money is higher than the original retail release, too. The Act 3+ ticket (which unlocks everything except Tokyo) is a bit of a sticking point, but it’s basically the ‘purchase’ of the game, and it’s $4. I got it by running a second character in another class through the first two acts, which raised enough to get it. It’s an account-wide upgrade, too.

The Tokyo upgrade is another $2, but pretty much anyone who has played up to that point has the money to just buy the ticket easy in-game.

As for auto-dissasemblers, they’re cheap enough to just buy with in-game money once you’re past Act 3 itself. The only real must-have items (act unlocks) are buyable with game-cash, and the most useful convenience item can be, too. It’s remarkably easy to not pay a penny.

11. Fiwer says:

It’s a shame because most people probably didn’t play the beta of Mythos when it was still run by Flagship, rather than the bloated, hideous abomination with the name “Mythos” tacked on that exists today. It bore very little resemblance to the older game and was worse in absolutely every respect.

12. Daniel Klein says:

No. It was a shame they brought it back. It was like losing your wife only to have a necromancer of questionable ethics bring back a shambling unthing that bore superficial resemblance to the love of your life, but that smelled like hell and patchouli, and didn’t so much react as flinch to your touch. Yes, the shapes were familiar, and you saw the face, under all that had grown over it and distorted it, and you wanted to love it again, like you loved it when you were learning its lovely curves, but now turned into this abomination, your love felt wrong.

That was the shame. This is the mercy. Rest well, Mythos. Rest, finally, in peace.

• Chris D says:

Best necromancy related gaming analogy of the year.

• Halloween Jack says:

Some day, some way, I will find a way to steal and use “hell and patchouli.”

AndrewC says:

A culture doesn’t really come alive until it has ghosts.

KindredPhantom says:

I won a copy of this in a PCG competition and never even played it, the game is still in it’s plastic wrapping. Now what can do with it..