Hooray For Random Indie Discounting!

By Alec Meer on October 21st, 2011 at 3:29 pm.

A war of geometries

This falls into something of a grey area between trad. RPS posts and the Bargain Bucket, but I’m going to do it anyway because my last post was a trailer for a ludicrously high-budget first-person shooter and, were I to be struck down by lightning or a panther attack or angry Heroes of Might & Magic fans in the next half-hour, I don’t want that to be my legacy.

So, just a note that Farbs’ splendid Captain Forever quasi-trilogy has seen its pricetag shot down from $20 to a mere $9 – which also gets you all future updates in the adventure-tinged arena shooter series. It also includes a new build of the in-development third title Captain Jameson, which gets all RPGy. “This is an as-long-as-it’s-profitable sale, so as soon as income (sales x price) drops below regular levels the sale will end. If the games sell well enough then the sale could go on indefinitely, but it could also end tomorrow,” sez Farbs. Farbs, incidentally, is now part of the team making Card Hunter – whose latest news I shall post shortly.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. McDan says:

Awesome, I love captain forever. Many hours spent building stupidly large ships and then seeing them destoyed piece by piece.

2. jerkstoresup says:

Apparently if you bought Captain Forever a long time ago, you have to go to the site and login with your email to authorize your account again. Was wondering why I didn’t get an email from Farbs for so long.

3. adonf says:

“as soon as income (sales x price) drops below regular levels the sale will end”

This is interesting, especially after the Proun blog post. Please keep us informed of how well/badly this goes

4. Carra says:

How can the income go back up again by raising the price? Surely, everyone who’s interested in buying the game will now buy it at $10.

• Wilson says:

@Carra – Not everyone will hear about/act on this deal, or maybe they won’t even hear about the game until some point in the future, I’m guessing.

• CMaster says:

According to Valve, for a successful discount, sales continue to be higher for a time after the price is raised back to normal. I could give you several psychological and marketing reasons for this.

• johnpeat says:

The ‘discounts will keep sales up even when they end’ thing is pretty obvious and easy to understand.

1 – people who just missed the discount will sometimes buy it anyway
      2 – people have been told GAMEX is discounted and so they buy it, not realising the discount has ended
      3 – people notice all their friends have bought GAMEX and so they buy it too so they can keep up
      4 – all those people buying GAMEX pushes it up the sales charts and so people think “I’ll have that”
      5 – all these new players talk about GAMEX on forums and social networks and people will see this and think “I’ll have some of that”

Most of those feed back on themselves too…

• Carra says:

Good point, telling your friends how great a game is is a great way to get more buys later on.

5. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I have paid more than $9 for far less entertainment. To the downloadatron.

6. duel says:

You won’t believe me when I say this. But I’ve wanted Captain Forever, forever.

7. PodX140 says:

Bought it and DAMN there are too many new features, and that’s just in successor. Seriously, I attempted to post every new thing I found, and it’s just a massive list.

Though, one thing hasn’t changed. Blues suck. Badly. Stupid things murder me every time.

8. fahsionpp says:

a website with you ,
    (http://url7.me/c6i4 )
    Believe you will love it.
    credit card and f ree s hipping.
    I bought two pairs. Cheap, good quality, you can
    go and ship with there