Smashier And Grabbier: Every GTA For £4.99

By Adam Smith on October 21st, 2011 at 11:44 am.

Those are the bargain police, mortal enemies of the jazz police but close allies of the fashion police

Edit: Gamersgate pack now reduced to £4.99, matching Steam.

Gamers Gate came unto the people and did say, “dost thou desire a grand dose of vehicular theft at a price pleasing to these times of economic hardship?” And the people didst sayeth ‘yea’ and ‘that sounds like quite a good idea, I am broke’. But now, for this weekend only, Steam has pronounced that it shall be the Don of sales, capiche? Gamersgate asked for what now seems the astronomical sum of £8.74. Steam says £4.99. That’s GTA, GTA 2, GTA III, GTA: Vice City, GTA: San Andreas and GTA IV along with its episodic content. The series spans the invention of the Roman numeral and the colon. (Thanks once again to Michael Rose for tweeting this.)

, , , .

1. Ondrej says:

Good one, Adam :D

• RegisteredUser says:

Anything past GTA 1 has always kinda represented the colon to me..

2. DeanLearner says:

I just bought this and have already bought the complete valve pack and the iD pack, knowing full well I do not have a computer able to play any of them! I consider it an investment for the future.

I am looking forward to playing GTA 4 with the no friction mod more than anything :D

cqdemal says:

*groan* Not available in my region. Can a kind UK resident help me out?

• DeanLearner says:

paypal me a fiver and let me know your steam id and I will

paypal@chrismingay.co.uk

stahlwerk says:

Hey DeanLeaner, or any other UKnian, I’d also like to get this cybersmuggled into my teutonic steam library (I’m over 18 and citizen of the EU, thank you)… help another fella out? :) Paypal ready to go.

• DeanLearner says:

Ok stahlwerk, email me your id and send me the monies and I’ll do it

stahlwerk says:

Monies are go. Steam Id is in the transaction message.

• fallingmagpie says:

I thoroughly approve of the trusting, generous nature of the RPS community. Wouldn’t see this in the comment threads on Eurogamer.

• Dana says:

Could I use your services as well, Dean ? :D

• DeanLearner says:

Of course, send me some money and I’ll send the gift to the email address you use for paypal

cqdemal says:

Fiver sent. Steam ID in the message. Thanks!

EDIT: Complete pack received. Gentleman, scholar, etc. A+++++ WOULD BUY AGAIN

• DeanLearner says:

Ok that’ll do for now :)

• eXperiaL says:

dean may I send you a fiver as well?

4. Jimbo says:

I found the GTA 4 episodes much more enjoyable than the OC, so definitely worth checking those out even if you weren’t the biggest fan of Niko’s story.

• The Tupper says:

Indeed. The ending of The Ballad of Gay Tony is genuinely moving in the most surprising way.

c-Row says:

Is that just an announcement before the weekend starts or should it be available already? German Steam store only lists indivdual discounts so far.

mrwonko says:

The pack is not available in Germany, apparently. I guess it’s because one or more of the GTA games are not available.

• RegisteredUser says:

German censorship at it’s best once more(I wish this were trolling..it’s a sad reality).

6. Symitri says:

I saw somebody mention during the GG sale that the Steam version of GTA4 doesn’t allow the same flexibility with some mods, can anybody confirm this? I have a copy of the original on disc (is this what it feels like to be old?) and have been contemplating getting the pack off Steam just for the DLC but I’d want the freedom to mod it.

• simonh says:

The Steam version is 1.0.7 which prevents a lot of mods. You need to downgrade it to 1.0.4 (which you can do with just the regular 1.0.4 patcher) and then turn off automatic updating for it in Steam. You also need an older version of Rockstar Social Club.

Here’s a guide

• Fredie007 says:

It’s the latest GTA IV patch that’s the culprit, 1.7 if I remember correctly. That patch makes it much harder to do proper modding, so most of the available mods work only as advertised with patch 1.4 or 1.5. And since Steam auto-updates the game to the latest patch, the Steam version is indeed not mod-friendly. I’m not sure what Gamersgate’s policy on patching is though.

• The Tupper says:

Bear in mind that the DLC stories are standalone, so you don’t have to install the Steam version of the basic GTA IV to play them.

Colthor says:

Ooh, I’m glad I didn’t get it on GamersGate now.

@c-Row: The offer’s definitely active in the UK.

• Dozer says:

I paid £20 for it two or three weeks ago. There’s a German word to describe this situation: Fazialpalmerien.

c-Row says:

I don’t think you can translate “facepalm” to German, actually. Well, not so that it would make any sense.

• Dozer says:

Fazialpalmieren. That’s the correct spelling. Per my German friend on Twitter.

• RegisteredUser says:

Just go “Hand => Stirn” instead. (Germans use the forehead rather than the face, because they actually still care how they look afterwards..ok no, really it’s just because it hurts less when done with force)

8. Teddy Leach says:

But it’s TOO LATE NOW.

9. Jimmy Z says:

Rather interesting exchange rates in Steam once again. The bundle is £4,99 in UK pounds and 9,99€ in euros. I suppose that’s about right, if you live in 2001.

Haha, also. Alice: Madness Returns

$14.99 = £14.99 = 24.99€

Yeah, I know stupid pricing in Steam in hardly anything new. Still doesn’t make it any less bullshit, especially since us euro folks are usually the ones getting shafted.

• adonf says:

In the US it’s $ 12.99. This time we can’t complain about the EURxUSD exchange rate, I guess that’s a good thing. Change is good, right?

• baby snot says:

In Australia it’s $US17.49. Fuck the what?

• Shadram says:

Same in NZ. But should we really be surprised when they’re also trying to charge US$90 for Rage, Space Marine, Skyrim, etc, and hope we won’t notice?

James G says:

Of course, the best value pack is the GTA:Classics pack, as it contains itself, which in turn presumably, contains itself. Recursion leading to infinite non-transferable licenses!

11. Juan Carlo says:

Personally, I’d say the more exciting deal at steam at the moment is the “Sword of the Stars” complete collection for 5 dollars:

It’s been going on all week but they really haven’t advertised it at all so I wasn’t even aware of it.

Grand Theft Auto is only 66% off. Which isn’t all that great. They are usually 66% off at least 3 or 4 times a year.

• Stephen Roberts says:

I might be mistaken but I think it’s 66% off then a few quid off for a bundle then 75% off of that. Which works out at around (or better than) 50% off. (3/4 of 66 is 49.5 and there’s bundle reductions).

I think that makes it a good deal.

MerseyMal says:

Complete? Is Grand Theft Auto: London, 1969 included?

• Adam Smith says:

I was waiting for that! Don’t know why 1969 is excluded, as it has been in previous packs.

• MuscleHorse says:

I remember reading somewhere there’s a legal issue around the game’s music – I don’t think anyone is really motivated to resolve it either.

• UnravThreads says:

*Derp*

• DickSocrates says:

Maybe boris Johnson won’t give permission. :p

I think I have to buy this, if only to skip bother of putting the GTAIII discs into my drive and installing it that way. I know, I’m terrible.

13. clem2k3 says:

Steam is stealing all my money in dribs and drabs …

First the Company of Heroes Pack, then Max Payne, now this …

14. MiniMatt says:

Just trying to work out total download size and see how many multiples it is of my monthly broadband cap…

• Deathcrow says:

It’s around ~40 GB for everything in the complete pack.

• DickSocrates says:

You don’t have to download it all in one go unless you plan to have 7 different GTA games on the go at the same time.

15. MuscleHorse says:

Amusingly, the pack for just the original trilogy is in the top sellers list too, for £8.

16. Zaideros says:

Well, it’s €9,99 here, same as Gamersgate, so I didn’t actually miss out on anything.
    Happy preferential treatment to you, Britons! :)

c-Row says:

Well, it looks like GamersGate has accepted this challenge and offers their Complete Pack for 4.99 now as well.

• adonf says:

Time to play the waiting game and see how low they can get! (Then buy the games and let them sit in their virtual shelves forever. Seriously, who has time for 7 GTAs?)

• DrGonzo says:

But Gamersgate are annoying. I used them for a while, but all of their games have problems when being used again with retail add ons or the other way around. Never again I say.

Plus I find their website and service really irritating compared with Steam. I still use them if I can simply enter a key into Steam, otherwise I’m not interested. The one unique game I own on Gamersgate I forgot about as there is nothing to remind me of it’s existence.

• Kaira- says:

Doesn’t Steam have the same kind of problems, meaning if you buy expansion from Steam, you must also have the base game from Steam? Not that it doesn’t suck whichever DD-service this happens on.

For me, GG is the best DD-service (well, after GOG of course). Simple and non-obtrusive.

• Pnikosis says:

This means that the Gamersgate’s option is cheaper for the rest of the europeans. 4.99 pounds are about 5.8 euro (in Steam, it is 7.5 Euro the complete pack).

18. helmehytte says:

GamersGate have now updated their Pound price.

19. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

again, stupidly, the 10€ complete pack is not available to us germans due to the first few titles which are available for free and for everyone on the developers site. OK, original GTA3 isnt available either, so it may be that.

c-Row says:

I decided to get them from GamersGate instead. They even offer payment via a German bank account, though I went with PayPal instead.

20. Meusli says:

I was about to buy them and that exact thought entered my head. I have already played most of them anyway so yeah for self control.

• Juan Carlo says:

lol

I’ve taken to not allowing myself to buy anything right away on steam. Sometimes you get the instant MUST BUY impulse when you see something. But usually if you wait a few hours it will pass.

21. Risingson says:

Hm, people, I don’t know why you purchase the 10€ pack in steam, when the complete pack (with more games) costs less, 7,49€ …

22. Mistabashi says:

The GTA IV Complete Pack includes The Lost and The Damned and Ballad of Gay Tony, which as far as I can tell aren’t included in the cheaper bundle.

EDIT: ah, seems that’s what the Episodes from Liberty City thing is. Never mind.

23. Heliocentric says:

I’m currently working through GTA 4 and want the episodes so there you you go. I the only question is, which vendor?

24. Pointless Puppies says:

Bought San Andreas for a fiver (US dollars). I hated GTA IV’s incredibly boring gameplay so maybe I’ll enjoy this better despite being much older.

• WotevahMang says:

Might want to start with Vice City instead. I think most who have played all of the games in the series would agree that it was the best.

IRT: Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu— just bought the pack when it was $12.00 yesterday!

25. DickSocrates says:

I bought it from Steam. I wonder if paying £4.99 makes up for the copies I ‘tested at length’ in my youth.

Downloaded III and VC, part way through EFLC. I’m eager to play VC again as I was one of the people that didn’t absolutely love it, though I did like it. My appreciation for the 80s has grown since then so I may suddenly become a VC fanboy.

26. RegisteredUser says:

Yea, they actually have 3 packs on sale, which does not make much sense..
    (I.e. one with “all”??? GTAs, one with all GTA IVs..something who the heck knows)

I wish they woulda just gone “Here, have the lot and be done with it!” and that’s that.

27. vecuccio says:

UKP4.99 ? I clicked on your links and it was USD34.96 on Steam, and and UKP34.95 on Gamers Gate !! Where’s this 4.99 deal ?