Teenage Qix: Lightfish

By Jim Rossignol on October 21st, 2011 at 10:50 am.

Litefish.
Actually it’s more like 30-something Qix, since the first appearance of this game type was in 1981. Anyway, there’s a demo of Lightfish, which is like Qix with Flow’s visuals, over on Steam. It throws in some novel gameplay variants, of course, but the heart of it is dividing up the game space to slowly destroy your enemy’s territories. It’s possibly that this might be worth playing if you need a few moment’s distraction from the inexorable horrors of your existence. Or not.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Eclipse says:

If you really have nothing better than playing a Qix clone I think you should rather go search for Fortix 2 instead of this one

• phlebas says:

I was wondering about that, having enjoyed Fortix 2 considerably – any particular reason you’d recommend it over this?

• Eclipse says:

If you just happen to like the gameplay, then this one will be ok with you, but it lacks the originality, setting and polish that made Fortix good imo. I mean, this one is really a bare bone Qix clone with a geometry warsFlow-like graphics, nothing more.

Oh and it has bad musics too. Or at least not of my taste (uninspired repetitive light-techno beats)

2. Zeewolf says:

I’m probably buying this. I’m a huge fan of an ancient Qix-clone called Stix, and enjoyed Fortix 2 quite a lot as well.

3. johnpeat says:

I tried the demo and it struck me that, as I’ve not completed Fortix 2 yet, it would be ‘more of the same’.

That said, I’m still trying to get 3 stars on the demo levels and – hell it’s cheap! :)

4. Museli says:

I used to spend ages poring over instruction books before loading up any new games. One birthday I received a copy of Qix for my Game Boy, and I thought, ‘screw it, let’s just jump right in for a change. It won’t be that hard to figure out what I’m meant to do.’ I’ve never experienced so much bafflement in as short a space of time since.

• Veracity says:

Was there something about that version that was particularly confusing? Because otherwise that seems a bit weird. Qix is an early arcade game – you’re supposed to be able to get the general idea within ten pee.

Trino’s quite good. Not a clone, but Qix seems a more obvious reference point for it than anything else that leaps to mind. Fairly frantic, though, which is somewhat at odds with its presentation.

I’d never even realized that’s what Fortix is. I should pay more attention.

Comment on this story