Byte Vs Brick: Week Ending October 22nd

By John Walker on October 24th, 2011 at 10:19 am.

I find this image unsettling. I wish he wouldn't use it.

Hello. I am not Alec Meer. He’s in charge of this, not me. But Alec is on holiday on Cybertron for a week, so I’m going to have a go. Charts, right? Like they used to have for pop music, but with games instead? I think I can do this.

The besties on Steam (including pre-orders) were:

1. Grand Theft Auto Complete Pack
2. Football Manager 2012
3. Dungeon Defenders
4. PAYDAY: The Heist
5. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
6. Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
7. Alice: Madness Returns
8. Might & Magic Heroes VI
9. LA Noire: The Complete Edition
10. Orcs Must Die!

And, according to Chart Track, the top 10 PC games in actual real life shops were:

1. Football Manager 2012
2. The Sims 3: Pets
3. The Sims 3
4. FIFA Manager 12
5. The Sims 3: Generations
6. RAGE
7. Might & Magic: Heroes VI
8. Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine
9. The Sims 3: Late Night
10. The Sims: Medieval

What have we learned? When you sell every GTA game for a fiver, you sell an awful lot of copies. And if you put “The Sims” in your game title, you sell 90 billion copies every day for all of eternity.

I’m surprised to see PAYDAY so high up – I’ve not heard anyone mention it, and it seemed to be released with not a whisper. Good to see Dungeon Defenders doing well – we’ll have a Wot I Think of that on the site this afternoon.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. man-eater chimp says:

Football Manager is back. Order is restored.

2. DigitalSignalX says:

Nice to see Skyrim topping COD on the pre-orders. Hope it stays that way. Nothing really against COD, just appreciate AAA games that require some thought winning in sales.

3. Revs says:

Iwould add some skyrum to my tea, so sleeping day

4. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

It’s interesting to see that while there are no preorders in the brick&mortar sales (who would go in a real shop, only to buy something that doesn’t exist yet), but in the steam charts, there are three.

• thegooseking says:

I think Chart Track doesn’t count preorders.

Edit: The first Byte vs. Brick confirms that. And is probably where I heard it in the first place.

• Milky1985 says:

*me raises hand*

I pre-order stuff from shops.

As a rule of thumb tho you don;t put down money on games UNTIL the day or purchase, and now depedning on the game you might have to pay a small fee (£3 for my skyward sword pre-order)

Guess thats why its not included, theres no cold hard figures there, no money has changed hands yet and theres a good percentage of pre-orders that never get completed because peopel change there minds/pre-order from multiple places etc.

5. Aspongeinmauve says:

I played PAYDAY at my friends house at the weekend. Really good for 15 punds, will definitely be purchasing it. Glad to see it’s doing well even without much (well, practically zero) hype.

6. BAshment says:

Real life people need 10 copies of sims a piece.

7. Zeewolf says:

Maybe someone SHOULD mention PayDay?

8. Baboonanza says:

Maybe someone WITH A PC GAMES BLOG should mention PayDay?

9. Teddy Leach says:

PAYDAY is a fantastic game, if a little shonky.

10. Jnx says:

I have never been into tower defense games but Dungeon Defenders is just lovely. I dare say that it’s even underpriced.

11. Yargh says:

We’ve found Payday to be quite enjoyable so far.

opinions reached so far:
    - don’t expect a game you can play alone
    - it can be bloody hard but oh so rewarding to barely escape with bags of loot
    - my worries about being an amoral police muderer were unfounded, its just a shooter

I do worry that the difficulty may be mostly about learning the maps and flow of each mission combined with the increase in survivability gained with the unlockable perks.

• Teddy Leach says:

There’s an amount of randomisation in each map, so the flow can change quite drastically each time you replay one. In Panic Room, for example, the explosives can either land on the roof, as planned, or land in the back alley, meaning you have to fight your way in and out of the building every time you get some charges. Even in the basic bank heist, the bank manager can be that well-hidden that, by the time, you get the keycard, the police have already arrived, meaning defending the drill and erasing the security footage is going to be more difficult.

12. MiniMatt says:

I’m surprised to see PAYDAY so high up – I’ve not heard anyone mention it

Other than some bloke called Dan Gigglyoctopus writing something on it last month on a site about rocks, papers & shotguns it did seem to launch in stealth mode.

edit: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/13/hands-on-payday-the-heist/

13. Carra says:

I’m glad to see Orcs must Die is doing so well. I really enjoyed the game and it’s great value for its €14.

14. Roshin says:

9. The Sims 3: Late Night.

Has someone been digging through the bargain bins again?

15. ZIGS says:

That picture… is it a booth babe from E3 1966?

16. skalpadda says:

It’s interesting to see just how much healthier the ecosystem of games is on Steam. More variety each week and from week to week. Would be interesting to see info from other digital distribution stores as well though.

17. RegisteredUser says:

Clearly the lady is having frequent sex with that computer. And very happy with it / about it.

How this actually anatomically works..is your homework assignment!

• cjlr says:

Direct electrical stimulation. Just shove a wire into your ear until it stimulates the sensory cortex responsible for… certain areas. Or, to save time, just zap the amygdala until it feels good. Or maybe there’s a joystick just out of sight…

18. RegisteredUser says:

I also wish these charts had ACTUAL FIGURES ffs.

In the last 20 years I have not once seen readily publically available facts and figures about game sales across the board, ever.

What, are they afraid what will come out?

• Dozer says:

I thought Steam just made up their charts based on woo and magic.

19. Hodge says:

The person who first combines football with the Sims will become the new global economy.

20. zhmmxx says:

Top game goods in http://bit.ly/qkDqbZ ,there can help you to play games so easy