Competitive Clicking: Starcraft II Tournament

By Adam Smith on October 24th, 2011 at 2:57 pm.

click click click click build build build build build click click build build lose

It seems like only last week that I found myself watching men playing Countertstrike and wondering how they came to be so good at man-shooting and here I am today watching two people playing Starcraft 2, which makes me realise how bad I am at mouse-clicking. These people though? Very good at mouse-clicking. They’re playing in the Grand Final of Blizzcon’s Starcraft 2 tournament and the winner scoops $50,000, which is probably half of America’s forecast GDP for 2012. I don’t follow the competitive Starcraft community, but I believe the two fellows playing have what the kids call ‘beef’ with one another. Enjoy

As my knowledge of the scene is so poor I’ve evidently chosen a fairly rubbish match, so here are the GSL Finals. Is this better? Are you appeased?

I’m starting to understand the appeal of watching this kind of thing, even though I’m left with even deeper feelings of inadequacy and self-doubt than I consider optimal. Seeing the game played at this level does show off the brilliance of its design, and it all becomes very exciting and tense. Thanks to Gamefront for pointing the online video out.

There are many more videos of the convention’s tournaments at Blizzard’s site, viewable until November 20th.

, , , , .

1. Premium User Badge yandexx says:

Foreigners = dominated.

• MrMud says:

Naniwa placing 4th and Sen placing 3rd isnt as much domination as one could expect.

• Aldehyde says:

The two koreans there (SelecT doesn’t really count) both placed 1st and 2nd. Those two koreans are the best in the world, sure, but foreigners taking 3rd and 4th after the two koreans isn’t all that impressive.

• mike_c says:

Ahm, may I kindly point you towards the last MLG, IPL and EWSC sc2 competitions? Koreans participated in all of them, but foreigners won all. Granted, Huk trains in Korea, but Stephano does not.

• Aldehyde says:

Never said they didn’t. I was talking about Blizzcon 2011 and nothing else. And I assume that that was what Yandexx did as well.

-Edit- It’s just that Naniwa and Sen were the 3rd and 4th best players there so it isn’t that impressive that they took 3rd and 4th. My 2 cents.

• qinqinershiyi says:

Happy halloween!
      Welcome to:
      The good shopping place! You’ll love it very much!

2. coddan says:

This match was actually kind of a joke. It’s very obvious the Zerg didn’t care much about winning since he is doing some… very bad moves. Both of the players are on the same team, too.

You should check out the GSL finals which is also from Blizzcon. That was an amazing games and there were thousands of people in attendance.

• dontnormally says:

Do you think he was paid to call himself “nestea”?
      I am seriously wondering.

Edit: The Final GSL Finals Final Match was epic.

• Adam Smith says:

Added – thanks for the tip!

• kimadactyl says:

According to spurious youtube comments they agreed to split the prize pool. Nestea and MVP are best buds on the same team, current #1 and #2 in the world so guessing they wanted to play to the crowds.

Re: the naming – apprantly far less importance is placed on screen name in Korea and people tend to name themselves after whatever the first thing in front of them is, or something just as immaterial – there’s also someone named after a restaurant chain, someone called YuGiOh, Top, Superstar, Vampire – they’re pretty meaningless. I should think nescafe are counting their pennies though.

• Thirst says:

Nope he wasn’t paid, if he was nestea would be sponsoring him.

• Mr Labbes says:

If by “both players are barely trying” you mean “ZvT endgame favors Terran massively because a) it can’t be attacked and b) Ghosts counter every unit that would break a terran mech army (Broodlords, Infestors, Ultralisks)”, then you are completely right.

• Falcon says:

Yeah, sorry, I don’t buy the conspiracy theory posts. I think people make up drama because they want drama. Nestea was already fatigued from being in his first foreign tournament and having to deal with the jet lag along with all the games played. MVP was nuking 3 places at once, dropping 2 – 3 places, all while Nestea was trying to micro a doom drop in MVP’s base. It wasn’t that he wasn’t trying, just you guys aren’t giving credit to the amount of micro that’s required in a situation like that with 5-7 places to micro at once. The banelings couldn’t get through MVP’s front defense and Nestea knew it. Repeated nydus attempts were thwarted, and MVP just had too much control over his bases so that wasn’t going to work. The doom drop would free up supply and let him make an army that would be more suited to take on MVP’s army while doing some damage to the base (and you can see he was trying to filter the army to the choke and hit them there). The big mistake he made was not making extra overlords before the doom drop, although he could have underestimated just how many ghosts MVP had or how much damage they would do.

Nestea definitely didn’t look his best that game, but you guys aren’t giving enough credit to MVP and just how many fronts he was attacking at once. I don’t care how good you are, defending 5 places at once while trying to attack a Terran stronghold position is brutal.

Anyway, I think Zerg just aren’t used to fighting that many ghosts. I bet you someone will figure out how to counter it with less resources than it takes to make all the ghosts, and it probably won’t be with Hive units, either.

• caddyB says:

He chose the ID NesTea because there was a NesTea bottle on his desk when he was making his StarCraft 2 account. Bong is a censored word on Blizzard’s Battle.Net 2.0, so his original ID ‘ZergBong’ could not be used.

Quoted from Teamliquid wiki, the ultimate resource for anything competitive Starcraft 2.

• luckystriker says:

I can confirm caddyB’s comment. I’ve seen an Artosis vid where he asks NesTea this very question.

3. Premium User Badge samsharp99 says:

Great finals! I watch more competitive SC2 than I watch TV these days.

4. Zulthar says:

They actually didn’t have any beef and they’ve been very good friends for a long time. The match was obviously set up. The zerg player did some ridiculous stuff towards the end. They probably just split the money.

5. Anarki says:

I love to see eSports coverage, but it’s a pity RPS and PC Gamer have chosen this game to post, as it’s one of the stupidest games of pro-starcraft that has happened for a while, both players barely trying.

6. faillord_adam says:

Just as I uninstalled Starcraft II.

On a completely unrelated note, how do I change my avatar?

7. Trout says:

This is a bit unfortunate.

A bit of context – playing here are Nestea, the undisputed best Zerg player in the world, and his teammate MVP, who before BlizzCon was without question the best Terran player in the world and claimed by many to be the best player overall. Both have won the Global Starcraft 2 League (GSL) in Korea three times already, widely regarded as the tournament with the deepest skill pool on earth.

MVP had the chance to win the GSL for a fourth time just a day earlier, becoming the first player with four titles and the first player with consecutive titles, since the finals were held at BlizzCon, too. However, he also had to play the earlier rounds of the BlizzCon Invitational so his preparation wasn’t as good as his opponent’s. He lost the GSL finals 4-1 to another skilled Terran player, MMA.

Back to this tournament. In the very last game, in the video posted here, Nestea makes some very weird moves. Not brilliant-tactics-weird either, more like this-is-a-really-bad-idea-weird. Loading up all his Banelings (the rolling green things that explode) and dropping them into MVP’s base is one of these things, since the buildings will constrict their movement, and being expensive suicide bomber units, using Banelings to disable your opponent’s production facilities is a very inefficient thing to do. Another strange thing is his final attack, where Nestea makes a ton of Broodlords (the flying manta rays) without any way of protecting them and just runs them into MVP’s air force. Since Broodlords can’t attack air units, this results in disaster. Long story short, a lot of people in the Starcraft community think Nestea threw the game away so that his teammate didn’t have to lose another major tournament in the same weekend.

edit: for those interested in high-level Terran versus Zerg play I recommend checking out this game http://tv.majorleaguegaming.com/videos/78118-clr8-egidra-vs-stbomber-game-1 where IdrA, America’s best Zerg player, takes on Bomber, one of the best Korean Terran players.

8. Galaxy613 says:

Should’ve posted the GSL Finals from Blizzcon instead. :\ Waaaaaaaaaaaay more awesome. Much better story than MVP v. Nestea, teammates and already generally accepted as top tier YAWN. But MVP vs. MMA GSL Finals? THAT delivered!

9. grinxen says:

I agree that last game was terrible. The match Naniwa did with the voidrays for the opening match was infinitely better than this throw away game.

10. TotalBiscuit says:

As those above have mentioned, this was an unfortunate example to give it doesn’t really do the competitive scene justice in that the last game was most likely thrown and an agreement made between these 2 teammates to split the prizemoney beforehand. Of course we can’t be sure of that but it is the most likely reason for this match going the way that it did. Nestea does not make mistakes of that kind, it had to be a conscious decision to do something tactically unsound.

• Falcon says:

TB, I have a lot of respect for you, but I can’t believe you’re jumping on that bandwagon too. While it’s entirely possible those two could have decided to split the winnings, it’s not like they’re hurting on money (although the Blizzcon tourney does have a pretty large prize pool comparable to an entire season of GSL) and I certainly didn’t see any blatant evidence of throwing the game in that last game. It certainly was a weird game but Nestea was rattled and MVP was playing impeccably with multi-pronged attacks all over the damn map. When you actually watch the game and take into account just how much Nestea was having to deal with at once some of the mistakes he make become quite understandable. Regardless of what Tastosis say, he really is human and not a demigod. Fatigue plus losing 3 of his last 4 games and his attacks being constantly thwarted while MVP was attacking 5 places at once and his attitude that Terran simply beat Zerg lategame all could have had a part.

I’m not saying that it’s impossible that they decided to split the prize pool, but people’s reasoning for that possibility is absolute shit. Just stay away from the forums and watch the games and you’ll have a much better time.

• caddyB says:

“he really is human and not a demigod.”

NesTea? Human?
      heh.

• Ysellian says:

The replays for Blizzcon are out. So you can now watch if Nestea threw his game on purpose or not.

• MCM says:

@Falcon

Ironically I have very little respect for TB but in this case I think he is almost certainly right. I was watching the blizzcon stream and was shocked at how easily the Ghosts cleaned up Nestea’s Broodlords.

I was shocked the first time. When Nestea later spawned 27 Broodlords again, I was even more schocked. There’s absolutely no reason for him to do that except that he’s not playing for real.

I might buy the “jet lag/tired/etc” argument, but I think collusion is probably more likely. If nestea were so exhausted, it’s unlikely he would have made it to the finals in the first place. Let’s not forget that, to lose, he lost TWO best of threes against MVP. And he had already beaten MVP earlier. It just doesn’t make sense that he’d lose twice to a player he’d beaten before.

11. Nallen says:

It was a good weekend of games. I am getting sick to my back teeth of TvT but the GSL final was still :O

The crowd was also huuuuge. I smiled when MMA said he’ll remember the audience chanting his name for the rest of his life, bit classier than Stephano at IPL!

12. MrArarat says:

You know, you could put a more up to date pic!
    That pic is from the beta! ¬¬

• Groove says:

That’s what I was going to say.

Except….I’m pretty sure that’s an ALPHA shot, if in fact it’s an in-game shot at all.

13. Calneon says:

“but I believe the two fellows playing have what the kids call ‘beef’ with one another.”

Actually, they’re both on the same team and probably split the winnings and played a fun game in the finals.

• Adam Smith says:

A beefless battle, eh? I’ve added what is hopefully a superior video. I should really get into all this a little more.

• kikito says:

Queens are beefy units.

• ChiefOfBeef says:

I feel I should say something witty cos of my name here but now I just want an SC2 cow level with Queens replaced by cows and creep tumours are udders.

14. loGi says:

I suspect they decided to split the money beforehand.

The way nestea decided to lose was probably because how embarassingly the whole event was organzied.

15. kikito says:

Any rubbish match is made automatically great if commented by Sir Day[9].

16. Vandelay says:

Or, if you want to see some real men (possibly ladies,) playing SC2, the first ever RPS tournament is currently in progress. Possibly the smallest SC2 tournament in the world, with 4 of us. I believe the first match’s replays should already be posted in the game club forum.

17. Eraysor says:

Is the main image for this post from super-early beta? I mean, the stalkers have 4 legs!

18. Premium User Badge Carra says:

Watching commented SC2 matches is a lot of fun. It’s the only game where I spent more time watching others play than I actually played myself.

It must be how non geeks feel when they’re watching football on TV.

19. zhmmxx says:

Top game goods in http://bit.ly/qkDqbZ ,there can help you to play games so easy

20. shagen454 says:

Speaking of beefs… Mr. Smith opened this thread up to another if you’re clicking you are doing it wrong flame war. Haha, Im glad no one has gone for it.

21. MD says:

They have beef with one another? What is this, some kind of barbecue? Starcraft continues to baffle me.

22. fashionbn says:

(http://url7。me/c6i4 )
    Online Store,Get Name Brand Fashion From 12USD Now!
    Lv,Gucci,Prada,Coach,Chanel Women sandal is $30

23. Moraven says:

The last game of the BlizzCon Finals became a fun showmatch between teammates. There is some outrage from the community but the BlizzCon tournament does not count towards qualifying towards any other tournaments, so who cares.

The GSL finals was great. Was there Live 10 rows back in the middle. Other pros and Blizzard higher ups were all around watching. The entire hall where the stage was was packed, people were sitting on the floor all over. Even the Main Hall was apparently pretty packed with people watching it on large screens.

Also, I would encourage people to sign up for the GSL October Season to watch the Finals and the rest of the season instead of some crappy recording of a stream that will get taken down probably at one point. You also get the before and after game commentarties and crowd shots along with the award ceremonies.

24. Luke says:

SC2 is great fun to watch, I went along with some friends to the most recent Barcraft in London, which was live broadcast of MLG Orlando – great fun! I recommend it and will be going to the next one! Here’s the subreddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/LondonBarcraft/

25. eryynlhanu says:

Exciting news, we are hosting the third Belgian Starcraft competition!!! This is a tournament for a minimum of 32 players. It will be played on the 5th and 6th of novembre. Do you want to become the new belgian champion? Do not hesitate and enter!! The tournament will be played online using the European Battle.net servers. That means that players participate from home, and that they require a European Battle.net account and an internet connectionthoi trang giay dep