Super Bacon Boy: Mr Bree Returning Home

By Adam Smith on October 24th, 2011 at 10:36 am.

He will get stuck. He will squeal.

What is a day without spikes? Brazilian indie game Mr Bree: Returning Home is mostly about a pig repeatedly falling onto spikes and spikes repeatedly falling onto a pig. As with other spike-themed platformers, it’s rather tricky and, as the trailer shows, it has a resemblance to the fiendish Super Meat Boy, except with a pig instead of a sentient meat-chunk. Let’s be honest, there is precious little difference between the two. The game is currently in beta and shall be out on PC and Mac this winter, hopefully preceded by a demo. I’ve played a little already, enough to confirm my understanding that abattoirs are unpleasant and pointy metal things are my least favourite acquaintance.

I honestly don’t think I’ve ever seen a spike in real life. Certainly not one as big as a pig. I’ve seen stalactites and stalagmites, but I don’t know if they count.

The weird story and Mr Bree’s commentary are appealing but the most important points are these: the level design rapidly becomes sadistic, and the controls are tight and accurate. I suspect it’s too difficult for me, as I was not born to platform, but I know plenty of people who consider their spike-dodging abilities a badge of honour. This is for them.

, , , , .

1. DickSocrates says:

Looks better. You can crouch which immediately makes it about 20% more complex than SMB.

HermitUK says:

Does look very Super Meat Boy, though the idea of a game that sadistic with a more in-depth plot is interesting. That said, I still haven’t got anywhere near finishing SMB.

3. Bhazor says:

IT’S RICK DANGEROUS FOR VEGETARIANS!

4. Prime says:

Every time a new platformer is released on the internet, God kills a marmoset.

Please, think of the Marmosets.

5. mattfaulkner says:

A pig in a forest, nice, but what is up with the music?? Sounds like random notes by a 3-year-old

• Reinhardt says:

If you’re talking about the opening song, that seems like a pretty harsh statement. It’s not the catchiest song I’ve ever heard, but it’s all musically logical and can’t in any way be considered “random notes.”

The second song’s opening does seem slightly off because the harmonic tones don’t exactly line up with the chord changes in a predictable way (perfectly valid), but the rhythm is perfectly normal. It’s just that it places emphasis on the off-beats near the end of each phrase.

It all sounds fairly amateur, but then so does the rest of the game.

6. Bishop says:

So how does everyone feel about it not being that original?

Keymonk says:

From what I saw it is basically exactly Super Meat Boy with a crouch button. Even down to random sawdiscs shot in your general direction.

• hypercrisis says:

Platformers aren’t exactly renowned for being original.

airknots says:

So… is this going to be a psychological platform game ala Braid? The pig repeatedly dying with spikes might be a metaphor for something.

• sub-program 32 says:

Personally, that trailer made it look like a combination of Super Meat Boy and Silent Hill. With a pig.

• pipman3000 says:

The pig represents the author stalking his girlfriend after she left him A Bomb

8. zhmmxx says:

Top game goods in http://bit.ly/qkDqbZ ,there can help you to play games so easy

9. gayylalgli says:

This is a great little game. I’m a sucker for upgradable skills. (No ability to jump at all at first? Great!)
    Unfortunately, however, there doesn’t seem to be any way to mute the music. (Am I missing it somewhere?) While it was charming at first, the short loops begin to grate after replaying some of the later levels in hopes of getting the “bad memory” collectibles. (That “Play With Headphones” notification also seems a bit misplaced.)seo service