Cryptic Comet Reveals The Occult Chronicles

By Jim Rossignol on October 25th, 2011 at 5:01 pm.

Brain-witching turn-based strategy-creator Vic Davis (aka Cryptic Comet) has announced something new: The Occult Chronicles. Davis says: “I’ve set my occult adventure strategy game in a lovecraftian mansion replete with ghosts, monsters, cursed items of all kinds and any other haunted mansion trope that I can come up with.” It’s got character creation like Solium Infernum, says Davis, but the game has a streak of adventure to it: “The whole game is basically one big map exploration. You play an agent of the O.D.D (Occult Defense Directorate) who has been assigned to check out some bumps in the night at an ancient estate out in the country.” And when is it due? “The art is being completed and all the encounters have been mapped out and the data entry has begun. I’d wager that it should be ready this Spring but I’ve been proven a liar every time so we’ll have to see about that.”

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Vexing Vision says:

A single-player game again?

Interesting, but sincerely hope that Vic is moving away from Air this time.

• Baboonanza says:

I wouldn’t bet on it!

• Sic says:

Ugh, a hundred times this.

• dudugu says:

I hope for a good AI this time. According to most opinions Solium Infernum was relegated to multiplayer only because they AI wasn’t good enough.

• orpheusx says:

>Interesting, but sincerely hope that Vic is moving away from Air this time.

Would that he used something as modern as Air! At least then it would be a little more cross-platform. He’s still using freaking Adobe (nee Macromedia) Director! I think Vic could do even more amazing things with some programming interns to help him over the hurdles of moving to a more capable ‘engine.’

Earl-Grey says:

This just topped my most-anticipated-games list.
    I want to grow a uterus and have your baby, Vic!

• dontnormally says:

Er, could you, or someone, or anybody, or something, explain why Vic is so super cool?

Wot he do?

Edit: I came, saw, and googled – but not in that order.

Turn-based hexagon shenanigans of the highest caliber were encountered. Please proceed.

3. Wilson says:

Sounds like it could be pretty cool. Will be keeping an eye on this.

4. Peter Radiator Full Pig says:

Armageddon Empires was such a good idea, well done, just too easy. I remember being dsapponted that it wouldnt let me try me 4 card strategy, minimum of 40 cards or something. I hope the AI is better, it was the only failng of Empires. It wasnt difficult to beat, even with zany or theme decks.
    Cant comment on Six Gun Shooters, maybe hes improved the AI.

5. Ian says:

Here’s what always happens with me and a new Cryptic Comet game, from announcement to release:

1) “Eh, not interested.”
    2) “It does look sort of interesting, but it’s clearly not my cup of tea.”
    3) “I suppose I might give it a go if it’s ever sold for a discount price, but not bothered enough to pay full whack for it.”
    4) [Not quite sure what happens here, but this is the tipping point.]
    5) “OMG WANT.”
    6) *buys*

lasikbear says:

I believe step 4 is probably RPS game diaries, or at least it is for me.

6. deanimate says:

4) RPS do an AAR on the game

I’m still playing Solium Infernum and thoroughly enjoying it. There’s so many options in that game it’s mental. Just started a game with the free mini expansion now so I doubt I’ll be getting bored of this game within the next 10 years.

I haven’t played any of his other games but AE sounds great…but why so many just single player games? You have the immediate crutch of AI which is usually no match for a human mind. If SI was single player it would be shit. Multiplayer makes a game so much more challenging and varied.
    Maybe after this game we’ll get a multi offering :)

7. Drinking with Skeletons says:

So it’s mechanically pretty similar to Arkham Horror? But no huge mess of a board?

Sounds good to me!

• daraujo says:

Would be cool if it played like Mansions of Madness, with stories and all.

8. Sic says:

Unrelated question: Has the expansion for Solium Infernum been released yet?

• pakoito says:

Yes, it’s all over his blog.

• Randomer says:

Yep. The mini expansion was released in just the last couple of weeks. More details on Vic’s blog.

• Sic says:

Ah, right, haven’t been to his blog, I’m afraid.

It seems to be in beta, though? Not officially out yet?

• Moth Bones says:

@ Sic – seems stable enough that folk are playing games using the new stuff.

9. Teddy Leach says:

I have wanted a game like this for so long.

10. Shuck says:

I am very much intrigued by the description, hopefully RPS will help keep this on my radar, so I don’t forget about it by the time it’s actually released.

11. Kefren says:

House of Hell! FF10 all the way, baby.

Andy_Panthro says:

So, a bit like Alone in the Dark (the first one)? Which would be rather good.

13. magnus says:

So it’s all a bit Cthulhu Mythos? Now I’m interested!

14. Jake says:

Ah I still really want to play SI with my gaming group but I can’t convince them to splash out £16 a head considering all the Iron Helmet games cost next to nothing (1 month sub needed to start a private game split between 8+ people).

15. Turkey says:

Does Lovecraftian mean that it’s so horrible that the mere human mind fails to comprehend its presence or that it’s incredibly racist?

16. Vinraith says:

This sounds fantastic, here’s hoping for a strong AI and a robust single player experience.

BathroomCitizen says:

This smells like a very good thing! The only thing that I fear is, how it will be its longevity and replayability? That’s a really huge factor for me, as I tend to replay things a lot. Maybe the random map generation will keep things fresh?

Also, it would be cool if it supported some kind of modding, so that one could decide to insert in the random map generation some kind of new monsters/bosses/tilesets/items & stuff. But I wouldn’t count on this kind of feature to be in.

18. misterT0AST says:

I’m kind of sick of lovecraftian lore.
    It’s a bit like zombies, once it used to be something cool and rare, now lovecraftian stuff is all over the place: in every Bethesda game, in Terraria, they put Cthulhu in that horrible South Park episode, I feel people are exploiting it too much, all the mistery and obscurity of it all is wearing off.
    It’s getting so mainstream I’m afraid someone will guess my email password!
    Oh wait.. ignore that last line please

19. JackShandy says:

yes YES YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS

Excitement engaged.

20. kukouri says:

This could be interesting.