Co-BIFF: Space Marine Adds Free Co-Op Mode

By John Walker on October 25th, 2011 at 6:41 pm.

It's good to see giant space marines cooperating for once.

THQ have just announced (instead of sending me the email they promised) that Space Marine has received an update adding a co-op mode. Called Exterminatus, because there wasn’t a sillier word, if you load Steam you should find it updates automagically with the new option. (And you can laugh at 360 players, who don’t get this yet.)

Exterminatus follows the recent trend for co-op modes, of rather than letting two people play through the game’s campaign, instead it’s a score-based endless attack from waves of enemies, with up to four players working together. I’m told you can play as the Tactical Marine, Devastator, or Assault Marine, along with all their weapons and perks.

There are two “scenarios”, Assault On Hab Center Andreas, and Escape From Kalkys Facility, both of which will have a global leaderboard for competitive willy-waving. For the maximum wave, you can also add score modifiers, and complete “dynamic challenges”, which will increase the game’s difficult. And any experience you gain throughout all this counts toward your regular multiplayer ranking, because that’s just the way it is.

Did I mention this was free? It’s free. That’s good.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. SquidInABox says:

But can I be a Space Wolf in Co-Op? This is all that matters to me.

Also I wouldn’t be surprised if this ends up being more popular than the single player in a similar way to DoW2′s Last Stand being more popular than the rest of it.

• Calneon says:

Yeah, you can buy a Space Wolf skin for £5.

lolnojokesnotreally(yet).

• coldvvvave says:

Where I can see a statistics on Last Stand outstanding popularity?

• Xocrates says:

“But can I be a Space Wolf in Co-Op?”

You can customize your chapter colours when playing multiplayer, and I believe the Space Wolves colour scheme is between the pre-made ones.

That said, you need to reach level 4 in order to do that (which is pathetically easy to do, even without playing with other people).

• SquidInABox says:

Last Stand was/is popular enough to have gotten it’s own standalone release. In terms of DoW2 Multiplayer more people play Last Stand than the regular strategy game. Probably because in Co-Op you don’t get the oh-so-fun experience of having your arse kicked in every game you play until after 50 games you finally start to get good.

• malkav11 says:

Last Stand is so popular that the matchmaking was consistently unable to produce two other players for me to play with.

• LuNatic says:

It’s not a Space Wolf until you can ditch the helmet in favour of fangs, a fuzzy beard, and crazy eyes.

• SquidInABox says:

@malkav11 Sadly while it’s popular the matchmaking is complete rubbish. I’ve had it sit at “15 Games found, 14 possible matches” for 20 minutes before it finds me a game.

• kukouri says:

No kidding. When Last Stand came, I was telling everyone “this is going to be a stand alone”.

• Monkey says:

Last Stand-alone

2. Kaira- says:

Ooh, neat, gotta give it a shot with my friend some time to the future.

On a side-note, it seems that your RSS-feed is really lagging behind, the latest to appear to my google reader was the Shadow Run-article.

3. Hardtarget says:

it’s a real shame you can’t play the sp game coop since through almost all of it you always have 2 other space marines with you

4. Xocrates says:

On one hand I just finished the campaign yesterday, so this is timely.

On the other, I don’t have any friends to play with and the game isn’t really good enough to justify pushing it on them.

Which, given that this does seem way more fun than the campaign, makes me kind of sad.

EDIT: Oh, yay, unlike Last Stand, you can play this one alone.

5. Maktaka says:

Exterminatus a silly word? Oh dear, now your blasphemy has doomed us all to the cleansing flame of the Inquisition. Although perhaps if we perform a suitably thorough purging of your heresy on our own they will see we have not been tainted by your lies.

Brothers, to arms! Burn the heretic in the name of the Emperor!

6. Kandon Arc says:

A green Ultramarine! This is heresy most foul!

7. nootron says:

I’d laugh at my XBox friends, but they won’t be able to hear me over the sound effects while playing Arkham City.
    As I said earlier, I just cannot wait until the Arkham publishers start criticizing the PC after poor sales, completely disregarding the fact that they have chosen a release date 4 days after Skyrim.

8. Brumisator says:

It’s pretty fun, I say.

9. Teddy Leach says:

Now if only there was a way of unlocking the nifty armour without grinding.

• werix says:

Not only just the niftty armor, but some of the more pain in the rear weapon unlocks. I Was led to believe in their Steam Q and A the other day that the weapon perks could be unlocked in Exterminatus, but they cant. Which makes getting the unlocks for some things like the Vengeance Launcher more of a chore than actually a fun game.

• TotalBiscuit says:

I am bothered by the fact that some people have chosen to take the word “grinding” and apply it to anything that takes time. You don’t “grind” for items in Space Marine, you play the damn game and you unlock stuff as you go. That is not grinding, that is gaming.

• werix says:

Grinding or not, I think the unlock model could use being a little better. Some of the stuff at least from my experience is irritatingly left up to chance more than skill. Ugh the kill-streaks for the normal and storm bolter. If I had a buck for everytime I was one kill short of a killstreak. Or on the flipside, you can only get one killstreak unlock a life, so those instances where I have gotten three kill streaks in a row (however rare they are) only one will count to the armor/weapon unlock. So it has actually encouraged me to get my first kill streak, then intentionally let someone kill me so the counter resets next life.

Others literally are left up to chance. As far as I’ve found there is no way outside of a private game to select your team, so to get the, admittedly cosmetic, armors you have to hope you’re put on the right team, and also that the team wins.

There is a difference between things unlocking over the course of the game, and things that seem more like a chore. A lot of the unlocks seem more like a chore to me at least. They dont feel like things that sort of unlock as you go, but more like things you have to go out of your way to set the situations up right.

But meh, I really have gotten all the unlocks on the guns I give two toots about; it’s just the OCD part of me wants the rest, and the “super painty customize time!” part of me REALLY wants all them armors.

• Syra says:

werix you are so totally wrong… I find killstreaks very easy to get (especially with theb olter, kraken bolts and targeters make it the best ranged weapon available), and when you start a killstreak every kill you make counts as one agaisnt the killstreak meter…. so when you hit 3 kills it says KILLSTREAK but when you hit 10 you are on killstreak x7, it even says it in the post match xp page as 7x under the killstreak symbol.

Pretty sure killstreaks dont apply in coop though.

10. Memph says:

ooh co-op, i’ll have myself a look at thi…

“rather than letting two people play through the game’s campaign, instead it’s a score-based endless attack from waves of enemies”

and my excitement deflates yet again…

11. Shadram says:

Which 360 players don’t get the update, and how did they choose them?

12. Sigh says:

THQ have just announced (instead of sending me the email they promised)…

And apparently John Walker chose to just announce this to the world rather than privately sending me a note first, per our arrangements.

13. Valvarexart says:

It is quite fun, but I really need to play with some friends. The random people from the internet that the game matches with me are just terrible to play with. After all of them had died several times I humbly typed the following message into the chat: “Please try not to die so much and stick together” which was answered with “blablabla stfu”. Oh, and did I mention that the lagg is terrible sometimes?

• Shinikake says:

I really like it when it jams me into a match hosted by Russians with terribad lag. For you see, it is amusing dieing to an axe or a blade of some sort whilst being upwards of 15 metres away.

14. Heliocentric says:

Coop is great when a stack of choices creates more versatility… Isn’t space marine a victim of a derth of actual choice.

15. EmaciatedSandwich says:

I’m a fan of the these “horde” style, wave based, co op game modes. They have much greater re playability than a co op campaign i find.

Despite that if they have not fixed the damned lagg i could not care less what additions they add to the game. The lag has driven me near rage induced madness too many times.

One last thing to add, unfortunately they have taken some inspiration from call of duty and added their version of martyrdom, only they have actually managed to make it even more annoying and pointless, i do hope this is removed.

The game has potential to be great but it’s just falling short. Due to lagg and balance issues.

16. Kandon Arc says:

Just been playing with 3 friends and it’s a blast. Managed to finish the last wave, only for a bonus wave of chaos space marines to turn up and annihilate us.

It is very similar to Last Stand in that you need to experiment with different builds and classes to succeed, especially in the last few waves.

17. Nallen says:

“it updates automagically” because there wasn’t a sillier word?

18. Jumwa says:

Does it really count as ‘free’ when it was a feature promised prior to launch? Sounds more like something you paid for in that case which was late in coming.

19. Syra says:

Hey this is really good, its not just 2 maps like it sounds… its 2 ‘scenarios’ which are increasing dificulty waves of enemies, 5 waves then you get a screen where you can choose to recustomise your loadout and move to a new map.

So its 8 maps! And it does get quite ridiculously difficult as you go, which I am very happy with.

20. iARDAs says:

I will probably give this a shot tomorrow as i just started playing the game 2 days ago. The online seems dead already which is bad and also i hate the chainsaw freaks in the game. So lame.. However this mode seems a better way to play online.

Comment on this story