Anno 2070 Trailers Unearths Online Options

By Jim Rossignol on October 26th, 2011 at 9:00 am.

London, yesterday.
Eight player competitive/co-operative multiplayer sounds pretty good to me. Hell, it looks pretty good, judging by the options laid out below. Extensive statistics! But yes, I am all over this. Ubi reckon we might be able to get some hands on time with the multiplayer before release, so I’ll try and let you know what it’s like.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Jnx says:

I’m really interested how this turns out. Anno 1404 is pretty sweet and this looks like they are really pushing the formula ahead.

G-Lord says:

Same here. I usually don’t play games like this, but Anno 1404 got me hooked.

2. MiniMatt says:

My inner cynic’s first thought was “shoehorn in a mangled multiplayer in order to justify an always online DRM in a singleplayer game” but upon watching trailer my inner optimist was pleasantly, cautiously, suprised.

3. rocketman71 says:

It’s still Ubi.

4. rocketman71 says:

Whoa. Someone forgot to disable the PHP strict errors and notices in php.ini ;)

airknots says:

That arc structure is quite interesting. Reminds me of hero units in Warlords Battlecry. I hope it is available in Single Player as well, and have more functions and upgrades than just being a bank for resources which can be carried over to the next game.

• Aaarrrggghhh says:

Yes and Yes

• MaXimillion says:

I would think it’s far more likely to be cloud-based, forcing you to be online to make use of it, like the dynasty system in HoMM VI

6. Tams80 says:

I’m really looking forward to this. It can count as one of my Sustainable Development essays right?

7. buzzmong says:

Oh BlueByte, hurry up an remake History Lines. You know you want to.

8. MikeBiggs says:

It looks like they might be using a persistent rpg like structure for the multiplayer. Much like AOE3, which I loved.

Colour me excited.

• jimmm25 says:

The arc instantly reminded me of AOE3 too, so hopefully it will have a similar system where you unlock things which are helpful, but not necessary to succeed.

BathroomCitizen says:

I’m not really into this kind of persistent stuff in any game, except for MMORPGs. Won’t this kind of system unbalance the game in favour of The Guy That Just Plays A Lot?

• mmalove says:

My thoughts exactly. This kind of stuff only works when it involves unlocking stuff that’s balanced perfectly against existing options: more often than not, the unlocked features represent some form of power boost in order to make them attractive. Unfortunately, like MMOs, this means that the guy who plays a lot not only has the edge of experience, but his gear/skills/civilization/deity/newspaper is more effective than yours, producing a double handicap and often turning all but the most masochistic off to any sort of pvp.

• Hatsworth says:

Giving persistent advantages to people in (competitive)multiplayer games is one of the worst design trends in recent years.

9. Falfa says:

I might be getting this if I can travel to Alpha Centauri and make new settlement

• Kakrafoon says:

Sorry, you can’t. Anno 2070 takes place in The Future, but does not stray very far from believable speculative fiction. The most futuristic thing you are going to get is hovercars, VTOL planes and advanced environmental cleaning technologies.

10. Dawngreeter says:

I am mildly annoyed by native english speakers’ tendency to pronounce words in Latin as if they were germanic. Anno is not pronounced as “an no”, it is pronounced “ah noh”.

There. Suffer my mild annoyance-induced wrath.

11. LordGravewish says:

They didn’t say anything about LAN support, which leaves me worried…

• mmalove says:

I didn’t know such a thing still existed. I’m a generation too late, finally old enough and financially sound enough to afford a house full of computers connected into a giant LAN, and my kids would have to play SC1 to appreciate it.

• LordGravewish says:

It does. I sometimes gather (during holidays) with 8 or so friends and connect all our computers up, then we play loads of games together, like Starcraft, Age of Empires 2, Stronghold, Rise of Nations or shooters like Unreal Tournament and Counter Strike, or even co-op games like Left 4 Dead 2.

It’s something we rarely have time to do, but we still manage to organize 2 or so 24-hour LANs a year. I refuse to buy any game that could easily have LAN support but doesn’t (Starcraft 2, I’m looking at you -.-) simply because that’s when I have the most fun with them.

I mean, AoE2 multiplayer online with TeamSpeak is fun too, but it doesn’t compare to the awesomeness of having 8 people split in 2 teams, each team sitting on their side of the table with their computer, building a town and amassing large armies. Planning stuff with their team members (whispering so the others can’t hear them) and taunting the enemy team across the table. So much better. Being able to talk to and look at the other players just makes the games much better.

Games like Starcraft 2 come out and we’re basically screwed… When we organize one of these events, we rarely have reliable internet access since we’re usually in someone’s garage or basement – I find the hardest thing about organizing a LAN like this is getting space for the 8 or so people and their computers, and we take what we can get. It’s still awesome!

LegendaryTeeth says:

Apparently Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery is not avaliable on Steam anymore :(

When did that happen? It sounds like this whole thing is right up my alley.