Gullible Human Drones: Warp

By Jim Rossignol on October 26th, 2011 at 11:29 am.

He's one those cute killers, you see.
A trailer for EA’s Warp is below. Warp, as EA’s emotionless robo-voice explains, is: “a puzzle-based stealth action game where gamers play as Zero, a loveable yet lethal, little orange alien with a big score to settle.” Zero has been abducted by nefarious humans, and must escape. So you can kill everyone, or take a non-lethal approach – it’s the cute Deus Ex! Sort of. It looks like fun, anyway. Take a gander, below.

, .

1. Bhazor says:

Get a definite “Messiah but actually playable” vibe from this. Definitely liking the look of it.

2. Joe W-A says:

I played this for a bit at PAX. It was a pretty fun game. Warping through walls is pretty sweet.

There was a part where players died a few times and had to watch an unskippable cutscene again when they respawned, though. Someone suggested to the dev there that they maybe move that checkpoint to after the cutscene, and he was all “What? No, just get to the next checkpoint”.

• GenBanks says:

Oh dear…

It does look pretty fun though.

• ratinox says:

The unskippable cutscene immediately after a checkpoint is a crime that should be punishable by flogging, along with the unskippable cutscene immediately after death. It’s like some of these devs have never played any games, ffs.

• Wilson says:

@ratinox – Yeah, they’re terrible. I don’t understand how anyone can possibly defend either of those things, even to the point of not immediately admitting you’ve done something stupid and need to change it ASAP. As you say, have these people ever played games?

• Urthman says:

I would have screamed in that man’s face until security hauled me away. I am not kidding.

• StranaMente says:

Please, someone fire that dev immediately.

• Joe W-A says:

As a dev myself I was super surprised to hear that from him, or I’d probably have been the irate arsehole I usually am and contested it.

3. Boothie says:

definitely promising =D fun to see some more creative titles make their appearance in a rps article,

4. Peter Radiator Full Pig says:

He looks like an ipod. Whats up with that.

5. buzzmong says:

I was umming and ahhing until the scientist was er…telefragged (?) with the barrel, which caused me a laugh and realise the devs might have actually put some really amusing as well as interesing things into this.

6. Inigo says:

a loveable yet lethal, little orange alien with a big score to settle.

They forgot to add “highly marketable”.

7. jhng says:

Looks interesting. Is it just me or is there is something vaguely ‘post-portal’ about it? The combination of action, puzzle and environmental manipulation…

8. Hoaxfish says:

It was loveable, until the alien did the “fold arms, nod head” like a smug twat.

Wisq says:

Here’s hoping this comes from the arm of EA that still believes in Steam and isn’t trying to shove Origin down our threats. (The one that is still putting e.g. new Sims titles on Steam.)

BathroomCitizen says:

This game reminds me of old nondescript PS1 platform/action games I used to play when I was just a lad. They were good times, although I cannot recall anyone of those games.