Reporting: The Adventures Of Tintin Demo

By Adam Smith on October 26th, 2011 at 9:25 am.

My brain automatically added '51' to the end of 'Area' and I silently cursed that they had to put aliens in Tintin for modern audiences

Does anyone care about The Adventures of Tintin? I don’t mean the books, the cartoon or even the film, I mean the game, which Dan’s pre-release thoughts may have actively diminished interest in. If you’re still willing to give the game a chance though, good news has intrepidly burst onto the scene in the form of a demo. As far as I can tell, it’s only available on GamersGate at the moment, but you don’t even need an account there to download it, you can just captcha your way through instead. My immense fondness for Tintin means I’ll inevitably try this at some point. Good to have the option of doing that for free.

, , , , .

1. Syra says:

I’m still interested!

2. Kemuel says:

Reading this it occurred to me how well stuff like Tintin and Asterix would suit the Travellers Tales Lego game model.

3. neolith says:

The water looks surprisingly good in that screenshot.

4. kukouri says:

I’m only interested if I can punch that guy with the blackbeard and hat in the face. I always hated that man.

5. mjig says:

Is Tintin just not an American thing because I had never heard of it until a few months ago. Apparently it’s a bunch of children’s tales or something?

• The Tupper says:

It’s stories European liberals tell their kids so they grow up to be bankers.

• Tams80 says:

I feel very sorry for you having missed out on Tintin.

• Premium User Badge Thermal Ions says:

Was suitably popular “Downunder” too.

Maybe this recent exporting of Tintin to the US is an attempt to assist the European debt crisis. Sounds like a good deal all round.

• Xocrates says:

Tintin is a bit too adult for kids and a bit too whimsy for adults, which technically makes it “for all ages”.

Also, it’s belgian comic which distinctly lacks muscled dudes in spandex, so I don’t find it surprising that it never really took in the US as the target demographic expects other things from comics.

• Premium User Badge Rinox says:

They’re not children’s tales, but you could say that Tintin is the eternal boy in all of us…squeaky clean, inquisitive, energetic and with a large sense of justice.

It’s hard to explain Tintin to someone who hasn’t read it though. I suggest you swing by the library and pick up a few issues. :-) I’d recommend Tintin in Tibet, the 7 Crystal Balls, The Crab with the Golden Claws and the Blue Lotus.

Of course, reading all of them and in the right order would be more fun.

• The Tupper says:

@ Rinox: “…you could say that Tintin is the eternal boy in all of us…squeaky clean, inquisitive, energetic and with a large sense of justice.”

That pretty much describes exactly what I *wasn’t* like as a boy.

• Squirrelfanatic says:

Don’t forget to pick up Tintin’s adventures, Lovecraftian style: http://www.thelovecraftsman.com/2011/03/hp-lovecraft-and-cthulhu-meet.html

• Bhazor says:

For anyone looking for a place to start, my favourite is probably the one where Tintin overthrows the British government for lax safety regulation on building sites.

“This is a work picket-line not a queers picnic! Piss off before you give us all aids.”

• jamesgecko says:

Tintin is more or less that opening sequence from the third Indiana Jones movie made into a series of comic books. Except that he’s supposed to be a journalist or something. Whatever, that’s not important.

What *is* important is that he goes treasure hunting in the Pacific, takes down mobsters in New York, fights criminals on a moon mission, and prevents a city from being demolished by an invention that weaponizes sound, and investigates the theft of the crown jewels. Among other things. Basically, whatever pulp adventure setting the author felt like putting his characters in.

They’re great, go read them.

• simonh says:

Or if you think works by an author who’s been dead for 28 years should probably be in the public domain anyway, instead of going to the library you could just get these excellent PDF scans (put them on your phone, read them on the subway!), though of course the physical magazines are nice.

6. Rii says:

Screenshot(?) looks like someone pasted Tintin into the Tomb Raider reboot trailer.

• Syra says:

Yep that bit is in the demo, it is a screenshot. The water doesn’t looks so good in motion, but its great in stills :P

• UnravThreads says:

I’d say it looks like Hydrophobia.

7. Iain_1986 says:

Please tell me it uses the TV theme tune?

8. Deadly Habit says:

I’m hopeful this will be a good game and not a movie game rushed failure

9. Tams80 says:

Grrrrr, keyboard navigation. I can only just excuse Mini Ninjas for it, so this had better bee good. Hopes not very high though.

10. Syra says:

I PLAYED IT!

It’s actually a lot of fun O_o…. satisfying platforming, it’s a little on the simple side mechanics wise but the difficulty seems to be tuned a bit high for little kids. It’s very tintin though which is pleasing.

11. YogSo says:

“…I silently cursed that they had to put aliens in Tintin for modern audiences”.

Er… Hergé himself put aliens in Tintin already?

• westyfield says:

Yeah, I was about to point that out. Also, The Shooting Star was a bit alien-y – the space shroom is technically an alien lifeform.

• Syra says:

not to mention the whole explorers of the moon thing

• Adam Smith says:

Yes but….LOOK OVER THERE

I lose this round. But I really did have an awful moment where I thought there was going to be a Roswell breakout and slathering beclawed shapeshifters. Different aliens for different times.

• adonf says:

@Adam: I don’t think Spielberg is going anywhere near Roswell anymore, not after the Indy 4 debacle.

12. YourMessageHere says:

I rather liked Tintin when I was a kid, but surely someone else here also looks at the forthcoming film (and by extension the game thereof) and recoils in horror from the CGI – vertigo from overlooking the uncanny valley, no doubt. The original illustrations are an approximation of people; this is an approximation of an approximation. I’d have been much happier with actors and sets and all the usual things one expects from a film. The game has the dubious honour of being an approximation of an approximation of an approximation.

• iucounu says:

I hate the art style too. Herge was, obviously, an ascended master of his art, with a highly distinctive look. This CGI crap looks like a Lloyds TSB ad.

• Merus says:

Apparently it does work in the course of the movie, reviewers seemed to be very keen on it indeed, and they’re usually willing to complain about uncanny valley-type effects.

• Hoaxfish says:

The main problem with the film’s uncanny valley is Tintin’s face which is really small for the size of his head. Even the idea that they’re trying to make it look like him in the books… it doesn’t, since his face in the book is much more properly spaced. Similarly weird face for Snowy.

The other problem is the weird “strike a pose” moments that you would normally see in amateur dramatics (e.g. “look! there!” – actor stands upright, lifts their arm and points, with the other arm on his hip… hold pose for 5 seconds, then continue speaking).

The rest of it is pretty good as a replication of the appearance in the books, though there is a slight discrepancy between the hands/bodies and the faces (sometimes it really comes across as guys wearing really good prosthetic masks)

Apart from Tintin’s face (which you get used to), it’s barely noticeable once you get into it.

13. adonf says:

I think the movie’s out today (At least in Europe. In the US in December for some unknown reason. Maybe so that they can get a worldwide DVD release. But Anyways…).

If anyone has seen it already, can you tell if the Captain is still a drunk or if they got all American and made him a sober man? This is my main concern with this film.

• Hoaxfish says:

No, he’s still a drunkard (and still a violent one at times), and it does screw up Tintin’s plans a number of times.

There are also machine guns, and Tintin uses a pistol… no walky-talkies here.

• adonf says: