BlizzCon’s Peculiar Homophobic Moment

By John Walker on October 27th, 2011 at 1:54 pm.

Congratulating themselves on their hilarious jape.

It’s an uphill struggle to convince those outside the games industry that it is, in some ways, a mature medium for mature, thoughtful people. Clearly the most difficult element of that hill is the incredible immaturity and thoughtless nature of so much of the games industry. You need not look far in any direction to see examples of sexism (the PC has yet to be blessed with Arkham City’s delightful attitude toward female characters), misogyny, racism, and of course homophobia. Something, for reasons inexplicable, Blizzard chose to feature on the main stage of their World Of Warcraft-based celebrations at this year’s BlizzCon. Via whoever’s extraordinary decision, edited clips from a homophobic diatribe were broadcast to the crowds (albeit loosely bleeped out) which encouraged those who play Alliance characters to kill themselves. Followed by a song.

This rather misguided choice, as reported by GayGamer, was certainly less immediately offensive in the bleeped version shown at the event, but the views of the lead singer of “Cannibal Corpse” weren’t exactly hard to guess. Introduced on stage by Blizzard’s art director, Sam Didier, the singer, George Fisher, then joined Didier’s band. The unedited version of the clip played, which you can watch here (please be warned, it really is a non-stop stream of swearing and homophobic crap), shows some really grim stuff.

Which leaves the question: why?

Why show the clip? Why invite a band on stage with such an attitude? Why allow a video clip to show – even with phrases like, “Go fucking cry in a river and tell me about how you’re going to slit your wrists, you Night Elf faggot” removed – with bleeped sentences such as:

“F— the Alliance. F—ing die, you f—ing emo c———-.”

A man wishing players of the game dead. Who is then welcomed on stage to roar his song about how he likes the Horde best in the computer game he likes playing. While he wears a t-shirt of his own band.

He is correct when he describes himself as “pathetic”. But why did Blizzard think this was a good idea?

, , , .

Mitthrawn says:

I think Louis CK has the right idea here.
    I’m just gonna put this here:

*runs away*

Mitthrawn says:

I think Louis CK has the right idea here

I’m just gonna put this here:

*runs away*

3. Capt Fatbeard says:

The main problem I have with this is the sponsorship of this band by Blizzard I mean its incredibly stupid on their part, why on earth would they want to invite a band on stage when they know they have such views. Furthermore surely they are letting half of their customers insult the other half and endorsing it, not only is this morally objectionable but also makes incredibly bad business sense its almost like they don’t care about people playing their games.
    Plus what would happen if say another multinational company like Coca Cola did the same thing and had a band on stage at one of their hosted events who called people ‘faggots’. There would a huge outcry from the worlds media about this, I don’t understand what the difference between the two is. They are both massive multinational companies that whether they like it or not have to adhere to corporate responsibility, they have a large cultural effect and if they act one way and are allowed to then it could mean that other people assume this is OK too. This is the crux of the issue if the games industry wants to be taken seriously it has to act seriously, this applies to the developers and publishers too, no other large business would of acted so stupidly.
    Plus for the people who think that the word ‘faggot’ isn’t actually an offensive word and people don’t use it as a homophobic slur I would like to point your attention to this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gPyyqISm8eg that I came across today. There is no way that using the word ‘faggot’ is acceptable in the modern age when so called ‘civilised’ societies still allow this kind of this to happen.

• aerozol says:

Edited out, because whatever, people are going to want to be righteous no matter what on this topic anyway.

4. Raiyan 1.0 says:

Try harder Cannibal Corpse. These stock slurs don’t impress me. Get a little more creative, something in the vein of “You Fox news viewing Daily Mail subscribing Teabagger.” Get on with the time, yo.

5. Dapper Dan says:

Mike Morhaime’s released a proper apology, must have realised that the first attempt by L90ETC wasn’t really even an apology at all.
    ‘Apology from Mike Morhaime.

Dear members of the Blizzard community,

I have read your feedback and comments about this year’s BlizzCon, and I have also read the feedback to the apology from Level 90 Elite Tauren Chieftain. I’d like to respond to some of your feedback here.

As president of Blizzard, I take full responsibility for everything that occurs at BlizzCon.

It was shortsighted and insensitive to use the video at all, even in censored form. The language used in the original version, including the slurs and use of sexual orientation as an insult, is not acceptable, period. We realize now that having even an edited version at the show was counter to the standards we try to maintain in our forums and in our games. Doing so was an error in judgment, and we regret it.

The bottom line is we deeply apologize for our mistakes and for hurting or offending anyone. We want you to have fun at our events, and we want everyone to feel welcome. We’re proud to be part of a huge and diverse community, and I am proud that so many aspects of the community are represented within Blizzard itself.

As a leader of Blizzard, and a member of the band, I truly hope you will accept my humblest apology.

– Mike Morhaime
    President, Blizzard Entertainment

• TillEulenspiegel says:

Looks like the adults finally woke up. I don’t believe for a second that he actually gives a shit (“we realize now”? what the hell is that?), but at least he’s smart enough to understand that this was a PR disaster and to say most of the right words.

• WhatKateDoes says:

Lol, for some reason I’m reminded of Chris Evans on TFI Friday after the Sean Ryder appearance.

“We’re sorry, I’m sorry. Sorry, sorry… sorry… ah…. sorry. We’re sorry.”

XD

6. DethFiesta says:

His name isn’t George Fisher — that’s CORPSEGRINDER!!!!

• bwion says:

I certainly do not mean to offend Mr. Corpsegrinder by calling him George Fisher, I’m sure he understands that common usage of the phrase ‘George Fisher’ has evolved such that ‘George Fisher’ is just a generalized insult at this point, and is not meant to refer specifically to Mr. Corpsegrinder in particular.

7. Snargelfargen says:

@lurkalisk

Your troll… it’s… it’s perfect.

The slightly crazy opinion, the tortured logic, and the polite yet personal attack, everything!

8. duncanthrax says:

Now that Blizzard’s headmaster has cut short a perfectly good shitstorm by way of a businesslike apology, here’s some more Fun-Metal material to be offended about:

Rage on!

• Muzman says:

I vote stupid metal collection right here!

• Cinnamon says:

It’s sweet that metal fans think that people are still offended by music like that when we are just bored. But I’m not sure where this apology is. Did a quick google for blizzard and nothing about it on their homepage or press releases, strange.

9. BAshment says:

I agree that its a bad idea for blizzard to support such hateful language. but people retorting to comments with racist generalizations are just as bad.

10. adonf says:

Well that didn’t go too bad, did it? I came here after reading Alec’s twitter post and I was expecting lots of name-calling and gay bashing but no, mostly people with different opinion expressing them in an eloquent way. Thanks RPS for keeping the bar high, in the articles and the comments even when there’s strong disagreement.

(And it seems safe to add that I’m not being ironic. I realize that a lot of people have been upset by this comment thread but I do mean what I just said…)

(Also for all that matter, my personal opinion on the subject is that the main problem was not whether an offensive man from an offensive band said offensive things or not, but rather that Blizzard supported the idea that gaming is immature.)

11. MadMatty says:

Wot a bunch of softies you are! I listen to both Cannibal Corpse, and “Anal Cu*t” and theyre quite funny, especially “Anal C*nt”s “I like it when you die”- a classic.
    Whatever you big pile of prudes hahaha
    380 comments wow- you really should get out more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlg46CS14dY Anal C*nt with a ren n stimpy video- look out for vids with lyrics, as they can be kindof hard to decipher ;)

Oh yeah….. : Hitler Was a Sensitive Man: http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=j44jb8hPWu8

• merc-ai says:

welcome to Blockland, MadMatty.
      Seriously, please stop tainting this website with your immature stupidity.

oceanclub says:

It’s good to see Blizzard had the sense to apologise. Hopefully their people will now have the common sense not to hire people who will shout bigotry at their paying audience. I can now resume my prior state of not giving a toss about Cannibal Corpse.

toastmodernist says:

This place really sickens me sometimes.

Thought you’d want to know that.

14. SurprisedMan says:

I can hardly believe what I’m reading in some of these comments. Let’s get a few things clear: I’m gay and I don’t really find the video offensive. I’m fairly hard to offend and I’m not about to be by some idiot saying stupid things. But:

1) I wasn’t always that way. Once I was a kid coming to terms with my sexuality, wondering who would think differently of me if they knew or whether I could just not tell anyone and that would be fine. Having to listen to people I know say things like ‘I think gay people should be dragged out into the street and shot’ without knowing who they were talking to. And I, in comparison to most, had it pretty easily. I’ve never had abuse hurled directly at me, never had to deal with direct discrimination. I was lucky in that way, but not everyone is. And if I had the capacity to be hurt by this sort of language in my teenage years, there are plenty of people in much worse situations. How DARE any of you suggest they should just grow up and take it? They should not have to.

2) It doesn’t even have to be about offense. The guy’s clearly an idiot, and by indirectly supporting his brand of idiocy, Blizzard help to perpetuate it.

15. John Walker says:

A few people have asked why more comments haven’t been deleted from this thread. Let me explain:

1) I do not believe that someone expressing opinions that I personally find offensive, or even foul, should automatically be silenced. So there’s that.

2) I believe that allowing people to see the extent of homophobia that still exists, whether in the gaming community or just in general, is extremely important. Silencing it is pretending it isn’t there.

3) If there are any comments that are abuse directed at another individual, or breaking our commenting rules, then please email me at john@rockpapershotgun.com, linking directly to that comment. I will delete it, and ban the person who posted it. This is a 600 posts long thread, and it’s my day off. There’s only so much I can spot on my own.

Abuse will absolutely not be tolerated, unless it’s from me.

16. Mutak says:

Blizzard issued another apology. This one much better than the first:

Dear members of the Blizzard community,

– Mike Morhaime
    President, Blizzard Entertainment

It’s a decent response, but words are just words. I’ll wait and see if the company has actually changed its tune before i forgive and forget completely.

17. Very Real Talker says:

Even if certain words are offensive- who cares? As long as you can ignore them- and if they belong to a internet page, video, or videogame or a private conversation YOU CAN- I don’t see the problem.

If Homophobes were cruising around gay bar throwing gay slurs at the gay patrons, stalking them and calling them at home to insult their sexual tastes, then yeah I would see the problem.

But as long as I’m using offensive (read: extremely funny) words in videogames, or in private conversation- who the fuck cares? Why should I limit my freedom of expression? Just fuck off!

I can’t wait to play Batman Arkham City as soon as it comes out for the pc- if you are offended by sexism then don’t play it! I hate the idea that everything has to be friendly and inclusive to everyone- what the fuck people, do you want to turn everything in the shape of the world depicted in demolition man?

PS for example I am offended by the depiction of homosexuality in bioware games, someone may remember. Conclusion? I just don’t play them anymore and that’s it!

VIVA LA FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION!

18. adonf says:

Please point me to a comment that is actually homophobic in this thread. All I see is people saying either
    a- The word ‘faggot’ has a different meaning so it’s not a big deal
    b- Yes it is offensive but come on guys toughen up
    c- Gay people should reclaim this word
    And of course d- It is a big deal

But I read the whole thread and didn’t see anyone condoning the use of homophobic insults or even less using them. I must have missed something, please enlighten me.

• dangerfroggy says:

I submit that anyone who claims the meaning of the word has changed is in denial. No one who uses the word is unaware that it is used to identify gay men. That is it’s primary definition in today’s culture, not “lame,” not “weak,” but gay.

Faggot = gay

Anyone who tries to claim otherwise is just inventing excuses to soothe their conscience. That doesn’t mean the word is evil and should be stricken from the English language, but let’s be honest with ourselves, the definition has not, and will not change, due to the long history of discrimination and violence associated with homophobia.

• Yosharian says:

@dangerfroggy Essentially you are right, but it’s important to consider the purpose of words when they are used. This doesn’t excuse certain things, but it should change the way we perceive the words and how we deal with their use.

Example 1: a white person says ‘What’s up nigga?!’ jokingly to another white person.

Example 2: a white person says ‘I hate those fucking niggers!’ through clenched teeth to another white person.

Same usage? Deal with it in the same way? Yet, it’s the same word being used…

Hopefully you see my point.

• dangerfroggy says:

I agree completely Yosharian. I think the difference in this case is that the first example: the use of the word “nigger” between two white men is a parody of the appropriate use of the word between two black men. The word faggot, as this guy uses it, is just a negative adjective, which most are arguing is not an appropriate use. However, it is not the same as someone who uses the word to identify gays as worthless human beings. If someone said to me, “Elves are faggots,” I would be considerably less offended than if someone said, “Kill yourself, you faggot.” Even though neither of these is appropriate, the latter is hate speech, while I would argue the former is simply inconsiderate.

19. Beva says:

And I am, for example, offended when there isn’t any depiction of homosexsuality in games, and since you seem to be in an advice giving mood and I have already finished those four games that have any homosexuality in them, maybe you can point me towards some other games that you usually avoid.

Because it seems unfair that I have four games and you have eleven million games.

(And I don’t even like Bioware games)

• dangerfroggy says:

If my male Shepard can’t sleep with Garrus in the first 30 minutes of ME3, I’m suing Bioware, no joke.

20. Pointless Puppies says:

What’s most amusing about these commends is people telling other people how to feel. “No, you’re simply not allowed to be offended at these offensive words. See, they didn’t actually try to OFFEND people using these offensive words, they just said them ‘cuz they sounded funny! So if you’re offended by offensive words, don’t be”

Logic and sensibility at its finest.

• Very Real Talker says:

I addressed these points in my well-thought reply; basically who cares if someone gets offended? Can you imagine how boring the world would be if everyone was free to decide what offends him and demand others to stop offending them based on their feelings?

In my excellent reply I gave a solution to the problem; just ignore it and stop demanding strangers to be careful about your precious feelings. Somebody stalks you and call you a homo? That’s a problem. Someone creates something easily ignored- like a youtube video, a videogame, an internet post full of offensive content, a conversation among strangers? You just ignore it.

It’s really simple and it would be REALLY horrible if we were all forced to stop offending people based on their self reported feelings.

• Yosharian says:

@Veryrealtalker For the majority of people commenting on this story, that’s an accurate assessment; however, you fail to consider the people who were actually present at the event. They couldn’t just ‘ignore’ what was being placed in front of them. Maybe it’s a little unlikely that Cannibal Corpse has a big LGBT following… but anyway, I reckon there’s a good chance some people were physically present who could have been offended.

And really, is ‘offended’ a strong enough word? When someone shouts into a mic that a group of people you belong to or identify with should be _killed_, isn’t that a little more than offensive? This is essentially hate speech, which is illegal in many western countries. (But apparently not the US, which is interesting!)

• dangerfroggy says:

I’m a pretty chill guy, and I don’t usually get up in arms about stuff like this, but come on. It’s easy to say, “sticks and stones, bro.” But I think we all know that’s an empty argument. When somebody, even a stranger judges you, it evokes an emotional response, be it pride, shame, or doubt. If somebody spits the word “faggot,” into your face, you can laugh it off, walk away. But it’ll stay with you for a little bit. You don’t have to be a slave to the whims of other people, but it’s impossible to hit an “off” switch and be unaffected by the derision of other human beings. We’re social creatures, and we care what others think of us, no matter how undeserving of our attention their opinions are. So say whatever you like, but don’t tell yourself “If they don’t like it, they should just ignore it.” Your words have an impact, like it or not.

Note: Obviously the guy in the video isn’t spitting derision on gays, I’m just offering thoughts on the “ignore it,” line of thinking. “Corpsegrinder” or whatever isn’t Fred Phelps, but he is a dumbass who is representing gamer culture. I wish he were misrepresenting it, but I know he’s not.

Another note, because I’m new at this and don’t know how to properly reply: As far as I can tell, the guy’s inarticulate rant was against a faction in WoW. He was speaking in the manner that he probably speaks to his friends, albeit with a camera in his face. Despite his choice of vocabulary, he’s not saying “Kill the gays,” he’s saying, “kill those gay elves.” So while I may be offended, I wouldn’t consider it a hate speech unless there were gay elves who stood to suffer.

• Yosharian says:

Oh, I believe he is spitting derision at gay people.

• Very Real Talker says:

yes it is true that words affect people, but it still not enough to demand censorship of language… I think that people should still have their own favorite media filled with all the offensive content they care to cram in.

• dangerfroggy says:

No one is saying the man should be censored, they are questioning the wisdom of Blizzard displaying his rant as part of the convention coverage. WoW has 9000 quadrillion users, some of whom are undoubtedly gay, many of whom would find the use of the word “faggot” uncomfortable, especially in the same sentence as “kill yourself.” The issue isn’t what he said, the issue is that Blizzard apparently found it presentable.

21. arccos says:

An old man recovering from severe burns walks into a bar. A young guy comes up and gives him a few big slaps on the back and says “Hey buddy! Let me buy you a drink!” while the old man howls in pain. The bartender yells out “Stop that! Can’t you see that hurts?!”

The young guy gives the old man the biggest slap yet and says “That doesn’t hurt! I slap my friends on the back all the time and they don’t complain!”

• Very Real Talker says:

“my feelings.. offended… how could I ever go on with my life…”
      a young gay man after hearing the word “faggot” in a videogame

• dangerfroggy says:

Obviously if any of us were stricken with sorrow every time somebody on the internet reminds us we’re gay, we would have left long ago. That doesn’t mean we don’t mind wading through a metric fuck-ton of insults and slurs. We can ask you to stop, you can choose not to. But don’t think it won’t or shouldn’t affect our opinion of you.

22. Bob says:

Good lord! I’m not going to read 597 comments to see if this has been said, sorry. It’s not the words as such but the *intent* with which they’re used that is offensive.

• Dozer says:

Unfortunately no-one’s going to read through 548 comments and see yours either…

23. Wulf says:

Well, hasn’t this been a lovely display of sociopathy?

There are many ways on display here in which people can be broken. Whilst broken myself, I’m glad that I’m not broken to the point where I have no feelings and no ability to feel empathy for others. Because that’s clearly what we’re seeing here. Utter, unashamed sociopathy at its finest.

What I need to figure out now is why gaming draws out the sociopaths. See, it’s times like this that I figure that maybe, just maybe, some of the news outlets were right. And if I’m thinking something like that, then these are dark, dark times indeed.

Seriously though, I’ve never known such emotionally dead husks, so completely uncaring. It amazes me.

And that’s what this has been, a cavalcade, a gallery, a festival of what we’re supposed to be proud of. Really? I don’t see much to be proud of. Blizzard decided to make hate speech live on the Internet, and apparently anyone who thinks that this was an incredibly stupid and offensive move just needs to get over themselves, apparently.

Yep. Sociopathy… At. It’s. Finest.

I hope most of you are pleased with yourselves, you drag the rest of humanity down with you. And I can only imagine the sneering snark you’re ready to bear at my sentiments. So this is the last time I’m looking in here. I’ll just leave it at that.

rokenroleg says:

You’re absolutely right there, Wulf. The internet is full of sociopaths, who have no right to use the tools given to them to spout hate.

But, here we are! So I have a new plan. Whenever someone around me says ‘That’s gay’ or ‘Oh, you faggot, you ganked me!’ I shall reply “YEAH, WHAT A STUPID NIGGER.” Let’s see how far that goes. Oh, wait, ‘Gay’ as a slur isn’t as bad as ‘Nigger’ as a slur? Hmm. Reevaluate yourself.

• Very Real Talker says:

to be honest it also attracts lots of overly sensitive people, who are gay friendly, coloured people friendly, and feminists.

Me personally I love very mild insensitive stuff… for example I would be disgusted by a game that glorifies violence against women, but a game with no female character that is capable of combat, or where females are only eye candy? I would love something like that.

A game where you go around killing blacks or gays would be disgusting, but a game where the characters keep saying “gay” and “faggot” as an insult, or where gays and blacks are depicted as highly stereotypical caricatures? With the black guy having only the function of being the first one to die?

I mean games made exclusively for white heterosexual males, it would be great

This is the kind of stuff that I would love in games but overly sensitive people like yourself are a great part of the audience to be honest, and it scares me a bit when you bitch a lot for stuff like the thugs in batman saying bitch a lot

• Frantics says:

Youre a gay?

In AFRICA we do not have faggots. It is unatural, umbosa, forbidden.

You get offended too easy. Learn to smile. :-)

• Unaco says:

@Frantics

If you think there are no homosexuals in Africa, you are f*cking delusional.

unitled says:

@very real talker

“I mean games made exclusively for white heterosexual males, it would be great”

Wow, we don’t have nearly enough of those. I mean, it’s obvious that straight white males are the REAL oppressed group in our society.

Or…

Wait…

No. I don’t think there’s a single game which has a gay lead character (as opposed to a game where the lead can choose to follow a gay relationship if the player wishes). And yet, gay players are routinely presented with games where their character is straight and in a relationship with someone of the opposite sex. Just about every single game, especially the big budget games, are aimed squarely at straight male players, gaming is more than overdue some diversity.

The very best message a gay person could take away from the idiot in corpsegrinder is that WoW is not a welcome place for gay players, even if they don’t come away offended.

• evilhippo says:

“I don’t think there’s a single game which has a gay lead character (as opposed to a game where the lead can choose to follow a gay relationship if the player wishes)”

That would be because they actually want to *sell* their games and a really really large proportion of the games buying public will simply not play a gay male character under any circumstances… so you will never see gay male as anything other than a subtle option (for example choosing the ‘Confirmed Bachelor’ perk in Fallout New Vegas and thereby getting the rather amusing gay dialogue from certain NPCs), at least in any high investment big ticket game

Oh don’t get me wrong, I am not in favour of ‘lowest common denominator’ games and I think games need to be targeted at specific niche markets (something that Bioware gets worse at with every game they make by turning their former RPG franchises into more ‘accessible action games’). But realistically gay male players is not a very big market niche if the gay maleness makes a game *just* for gay male players.

unitled says:

…which is exactly my point. Comments have been made they’re sick and tired of people being overly sensitive and they want games catering to straight white males… which pretty much all games already ARE.

And why do you have to be gay to play as a gay character? We’re already forcing people who prefer same-sex relationships to play heterosexual relationships. Maybe the homophobic language exhibited above is one of the reasons people don’t feel they’d be comfortable playing a gay character.

• evilhippo says:

“Besides, we’re starting to get games with non-white characters, while the majority of people in the UK are white. Why should sexuality be different?”

Because sexuality *is* different. Not many white male British players would worry that playing a bIack toon might make people think they were harbouring secret desires to be black, whereas playing a gay one…

That’s just the way things are and I cannot see that changing any time soon… or ever for that matter. That there are gay characters in game stories (like in Fallout NV) at all indicates significant changes in the creative environment but realistically I doubt there will ever be much motivation for devs making high production cost games to produce gay-centric ones.

24. Wulf says:

(And a quick poke just to get that comment up there.)

Ham Solo says:

I think if you worry about people associated with media offending other people, it’s the beginning of the politically correct end. See caricatures.

26. Natus says:

Thank you RPS for the story and sentiments, but you seem to have inadvertantly revealed how a good number of RPS-ers actually think, and in this day and age what they think is genuinely frightening. Shame on Blizzard, and shame on those here justifying the offensive language. I find it appalling that so many members of this community are spending their waning intellectual energy in such a manner.

27. AngelAtTheTomb says:

First, anyone who seriously claims to think that “faggot” has lost its homosexual connotation and just means “a bad thing” is lying. Everyone knows what it means, and that is the point. It is used to denote bad things BY comparing them to homosexuals, which are implied to be bad. So stop justifying it by lying.

Second, the point is not whether or not the band was being offensive; they clearly were, they’re clearly idiots, everyone knows this.

The point is that BLIZZARD INVITED THEM ONSTAGE. No one is surprised that Cannibal Kill is being offensive. They are idiots and they make terrible music. People are surprised that Blizzard made the baffling move of allowing them onstage to promote their game, either being negligently ignorant of who they were inviting onstage, or, slightly worse, thinking it was a good idea to promote their game that way. Either way, it was a puzzlingly foolish move that would alienate a lot more people than it would invite into a “community”-based game.

Also, to whoever was saying “cretin” is a great insult because it won’t make anyone mad AND it’s fun to say: you sir are rad.

28. Wraggles says:

/Sigh, I think this is buried, but what the heck, my 5 cents.

I think, in many ways, there are two different types of social interactions people here are mixing up.
    Say for instance, in your social circle, you use an offensive word. You use this offensive word, because a) it’s a throwaway word for your social circle and has little to no power within it. b) You KNOW no one in said group is going to be offended by it, c) even if they would be if some other person was to say it to them. This is in many ways ok (in several ways not, but at least no one is harmed) and I don’t doubt we ALL do it.

But it’s only ok as long as you know! Know where the word comes from, know who might be offended by it, know not to use that word outside of your small social group because someone else out there might in fact still be offended by the word. Know that to people unfamiliar with your manner, your meaning and context is often unclear, they haven’t spent so much time around you that they can tell every nuance and inflection to your speech.

In the real world we call this tact. Perhaps this man didn’t mean to be offensive. Perhaps some people aren’t offended by him. But this doesn’t mean that what he said isn’t a gendered/sex oriented insult. It doesn’t mean that what he said is inoffensive. It does mean that he’s tactless. It does mean that it’s appalling that blizzard allowed it to occur.

29. James says:

Hilarious. The attacking tone of this article is the only thing that is “pathetic”.

Amazing that Cannibal Corpse still have the power to offend those with delicate sensibilities 20 years later. The footage shown is taken from a documentary released in 2008, aimed at fans of the band. 30 seconds of tongue in cheek, off the cuff and passionate discussion of a game he’s clearly heavily invested in.

This is both worthy of news on RPS and of our scorned derision of the man, his band and his fans?

From this is it is to be concluded that the band and Blizzard are homophobic?

Why have him on? He fronts one of the most accomplished, successful and best-selling bands in the genre his band practically defined, far from “pathetic” and popular amongst many gamers, likely including Sam and many in that very audience.

I can accept that you’re offended by this but an article featuring hyperbole like “really grim stuff” that also features sarcastic attacks on character, based on nothing more than a band name and 30 seconds of innocuous dialogue falls well below the usual RPS standard of editorial quality.

30. Mutak says:

You’re missing the point. People don’t care what random B-List metalhead thinks about the Alliance or LGBT people. They care when Blizzard chooses to showcase random B-List metalhead’s bigotry as part of the capstone to their company convention.

It’s one thing to deal with random fuckwads in the game. It’s another thing to see the company endorsing that shit.