New Pics For The Old Republic

By John Walker on October 27th, 2011 at 9:17 am.

I hate it when I get that nagging feeling that these are in fact older screenshots and there's been a mistake.

Well here’s a special thing – seven new Star Wars: The Old Republic screenshots that are a) mostly not rubbish, and b) not ruined by a giant and pointless BioWare logo! What better way to start the day? (Um, cuddles and pie, maybe?)

They start with a properly rubbish one, and then rapidly improve:

Sorry there’s been no more of my preview series yet. I AM SO BUSY I WANT TO CRY. But it’s coming.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Real Horrorshow says:

I’ll be excited to play this when the subscription model is unfeasible for them and it goes F2P.

• jezcentral says:

And then you can pay double your subscription in micro-transactions? :)

• Real Horrorshow says:

Well I was fantasizing about the system being fair like World of Tanks (of which I’ve played 200+ hours of and spent only $7 for some slots and 3 days of premium). Highly unlikely, but I can dream, can’t I? :-(

• Crimsoneer says:

• Orija says:

Not at all, the budget is around 50-80 million.

• Hoaxfish says:

The beauty of micro-transactions is you don’t have to buy them. At worst, it means the game is functionally a demo until you hit whatever pay-wall they put in, at best the whole thing is basically free unless you have severe “must have” issues.

I’ve managed many playhours for free, without spending a thing. Nor do I smoke, or not eat food (if you want to compare subscription to the price of “other activities or equal cost”).

• woodsey says:

“They’ve supposedly spend $500 million on this beast. F2P ain’t exactly going to cut it.”

That number goes up by $50 million every time I see someone quote it.

• Azradesh says:

I don’t mind F2P being an option for an MMO, as long as I can still pay a sub. I’d rather pay and get everything.

• MCM says:

The subscription model isn’t unfeasible for them. They’ll have millions of subs in the first month. I have no doubt it’ll be bigger than WoW in the US and EU in very little time. Keep in mind that the majority of WoW players anymore are in China, not the US or EU.

• Kaiji says:

“I have no doubt it’ll be bigger than WoW in the US and EU in very little time.”

Not a chance.

Based on my time in beta, this is a poor man’s WoW with voiceovers and no personality.

Probably the most dead feeling MMO I’ve ever played.

2. Tomkan says:

I agree on F2P model. Not soo excited for this game :(

3. Will Tomas says:

Re: every single character in those pictures, but especially the one with the conversation wheel and the bottom one –

All together now!

We’re flying without wiiiiiiiiiingssss…

4. Captchist says:

Pie for breakfast? No!

• Arathain says:

Pie makes a magnificent breakfast. What’s wrong with you? It doesn’t get better than pie and cuddles.

5. Red Serpent says:

A buddy of mine just ended his Beta-run of the game. He went in with an open mind and hundreds of hours of mmo experience. He left heartbroken.
    He found the game to be lacking in a lot of ways on top of being forced to do story missions above all else…because there isn’t a lot to do beyond that at least that’s what he told me.
    RolePlay wise he said there was no support, stating that WoW supported it even more. He liked the combat but since its the main ‘thing’ it was kinda to be expected. He stated that the maps are smaller then WoW’s and that there isn’t that much to explore and respawn rate was quite high.
    At the moment he isn’t sure whether to cancel his pre-order or not. Since I’m taking his word on all this I most likely won’t get it.

• Captain Blood says:

Out of curiosity, what sort of support for roleplay should there be in an MMO? I’ve got some experience with MMOs (certainly not as much as your friend), but never really looked into that side of things. Beyond providing RP servers and personal spaces that you can invite friends into, what more should Bioware have done?

I’m sorry he had such a poor experience. I enjoyed my time in the beta immensely. I had no problem following the story missions, and there are side and bonus missions available most of the time that take place in the same areas.

• aircool says:

Opposite for me. After murmers from guildies who have (or don’t have… Nothing to see here Bioware) beta access and the like, I decided to pre order this game – just the standard boxed set though.

I’ve heard a lot of positives, although my guildies are firmly in the ‘DDO not WoW’ camp, so perhaps the game is geared towards what we enjoy, rather than your good self :)

• Arcanon says:

In the Beta there were only PvE and PvP servers, not sure if thye plan on Roleplaying support…..the game didn’t convince me either, but let’s be fair, the world doesn’t feel small at all (too big when you can only travel on foot), at least from the Empire’s point of view. Respawn rate is high only if you choose to be resurrected WHERE YOU DIE (in WoW you have to use the damn Ghost system), so you can’t really complain about that. It’s full of quests and things to do, that’s not the problem. The problem is that the story isn’t strong enough to keep you interested, expecially if you’ve already played alot of WoW.

• Iskariot says:

“He stated that the maps are smaller then WoW’s and that there isn’t that much to explore”

To me this is a huge deal breaker.
      I love to explore.

• Chesterton says:

“He stated that the maps are smaller then WoW’s and that there isn’t that much to explore ”

Quite frankly, he’s wrong.

• Verio says:

I would be very interested to hear more detail from this friend.
      For one thing I don’t even know what “Roleplay” support even means.
      For another, I am curious about the details of his hundreds-of-hours MMO pedigree. I know plenty of people in the Beta who have been playing MMOs for years, and they are enamored with it. Pre-ordered the day they were announced, can’t wait for release etc. The feedback I hear about the weekend beta’s is “it’s so good I’m going through withdrawal now that it is over”.

I guess what I am getting at is that hundreds of hours of MMO experience is meaningless without knowing the MMOs in question. My expectations after 20 years of Dragonrealms, GS3, Everquest, Earth and Beyond, Eve, and WoW (not to mention KotoR which while not an MMO is relevant here I think) are going to be WILDLY different from those of someone who spent the last 10 years playing Planetside, Shadowbane, Vanguard, and Lineage.

• Red Serpent says:

First off all, Im relaying what my buddy said to me. So in no way am I just stating random stuff. Im sure people will disagree with his opinion of the game but don’t shoot the messenger.

@RP support : Seats to sit in (Wow has usable seats), Locations that provide a special backdrop for RP situations and such. Most of you probably won’t give a damn Im sure however there are people who do. Its the small things that matter.
      @Chesterton : well maybe you are wrong…who is to say. Point of view and all that jazz.

I get that some of you might be up in arms because there are players that are critical of TOR or even negative. Like I said I didn’t play it but my friend, whom I trust, is a big KOTOR fan and an avid MMO player so I value his opinion.
      Based on what he said and what I have seen I have concluded not to purchase this game. Whether you, the reader of this post will is up to you.

• Chesterton says:

@RedSerpent No, the size of the world isn’t up to a point of view. Your friend made a statement that either is true, or isn’t. It isn’t. Sorry! I don’t care of you get the game or not, but for the sake of clarity – SWTOR’s worlds are much bigger.

• Alceste007 says:

Small maps, WTF? It took me forever to find the dam datacrons on several worlds. Honestly, your buddy seems like he did not get off the starter world. The origin planets are not that big, but they are meant to teach you the game. After you get past the starter worlds, the planets open up & you can kill the silly republic on site.

After getting a chance to Beta, I am really looking forward to the game.

6. Chesterton says:

I know it may not be cool to say this on RPS, but I can’t wait for this game. I have my pre-order in.

This opinion may or may not have been a result of a beta weekend experience. We’ll never know!

• InternetBatman says:

Me neither. I’ve been disappointed with the direction that WoW’s been taking for a while now, so much that I quit before Cataclysm and probably won’t get it again. But it looks really cool. It’s addressing the largest (in my mind at least) weakness of WoW, there’s no coherent story taking you through leveling up. I hear Cataclysm fixed it, but I’d trust a guy who dated the sister of the roommate of the second cousin of someone who tested for Bioware to be able to write a better story than Blizzard, even after DA II.

• Chesterton says:

I actually just started playing WoW again after taking a break (since Feb.) – I’m enjoying catching up on the new content, but yeah….I’m really looking forward to story with more depth & immersion in SWTOR. That said though, Cata was a big undertaking, and did greatly improve the story within the world of WoW.

7. Ezhar says:

Something about these screenshots bothers me, but I can’t figure out what. Maybe they look too much like any other boring MMO released lately?