Colonosaurus: Jurassic Park: The Game

By Adam Smith on October 28th, 2011 at 9:41 am.

There is no way to survive this scenario. You're going down, Mr Rex.

Jurassic Park: The Game is a change of pace from Telltale, previously known for its take on the slow time events familiar in point and click games through the centuries. With the addition of raging dinosaurs comes the addition of somewhat quicker events, such as running away, climbing a fence and being tossed through the air, reduced to nothing more than a bag of broken bones and ruptured organs.

This new video goes behind the scenes, demonstrating that there will still be puzzles and narrative alongside the screaming and devouring. I’m not sure how “picture in picture scene navigation” will work but I’m quietly intrigued. Oh, and there’s a short montage of dinosaurs murdering people starting at 2.05.

More than the action sequences, I’m waiting to see how Telltale handle more serious characterisation in what looks like their most realistic setting to date. It’s not that I think the genetic revival of dinosaurs is more likely than time travel or quipping pirates, it’s that the source material is the least overtly comedic they’ve tackled (I still maintain the zapped-child counting sequence in the original film was intended purely for comic effect, as was most of the second film).

There’s an impressive deluxe edition coming, which includes the kind of goodies that I enjoy receiving, including a nifty looking InGen Field Guide, just like you’d receive if you were a real visitor to the park. Make things even more real by tearing your copy and staining it with blood every time a character dies.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. pacificator says:

Looks interesting… I can only hope that it won’t be filled with QT events during the “action” sequences.

• Joe W-A says:

Played it at PAX, and yeah, that is all that the action scenes are. QTEs for minutes at a time. Exactly like the worst parts of Heavy Rain.
      I generally like Telltale and this was my least favourite game of PAX.

• StranaMente says:

I was going to say that. All the action sequences are played in qtes they said that. bah..

• pacificator says:

Well in that case I will let this one pass.

• BooleanBob says:

Full points for optimism though!

• Coverf1re says:

@ Joe W-A

Really? My favorite parts of Heavy Rain were the action sequences because of the fact that my characters could actually die and I wouldn’t be forced to restart like in other games, meaning I’d continue on without one of the characters. Which made it 100x more intense for me than just about every other game I’ve ever played simply because it made me care about my characters.

• dontnormally says:

I would generally agree, however in this case the “you’re the director” approach seems very fitting of QTE action. Looks like they captured the spirit gracefully.

• Cerius says:

No, no it isn’t.

QTEs aren’t a replacement for influencing things through ACTUAL decisions and not just failing some reaction test. And decision making has been done in f.E. RPGs for a long time successfully.

Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain didn’t invent C&C at all.

2. Roshin says:

I’m looking forward to it, but I can’t help thinking of Dino Crisis. :(

3. StuffedCabbage says:

Mildly interested.

4. Inigo says:

I’m impressed – Telltale have managed to make the dinosaurs and humans genuinely look and move like real, badly-made animatronics.

• Syra says:

lol i agree…

I find it hard to understand why games today can’t exceed cgi quality of effectively the first gen of cgi enhanced movies from 20 years ago…

• exenter says:

CGI movies use ray tracing that simulates how light reacts to different surfaces and other mediums it passes through. It takes days/weeks to render a movie in CGI quality. Games will never look like a high quality CGI movie until they implement ray tracing.

• Untruth says:

I don’t think ray tracing has much to do with the often abysmal animation in this video.

Not convinced by this game. I have still yet to see something about it – aside from the franchise name – that genuinely makes it look like something interesting. Sadly it seems to even lack the charms of the characters (Newman!) from the film.

• exenter says:

If the game developers focuses a lot on animations, they could make them just as good as the animations in CGI movies.

• InternetBatman says:

Come on, it’s Telltale. They don’t exactly have the money for BF3 animations.

5. Vexing Vision says:

This is actually looking rather interesting and fun.

I probably wouldn’t even mind the QT-Events.

6. Syra says:

The fat guy chuckling and saying ‘who wouldn’t enjoy this game, really!’… I can think of a few people.

However I actually do want to play it, JP will always be worshiped as a god by me.

7. kutkh says:

PERSON: “…but also, a thrill ride!”

CUT TO: ARBITRARY ROLLERCOASTER EXT. DAY

Brilliant.

8. RakeShark says:

If there’s one thing the NaturalMotion people are missing out on, it’s a survival game infested with dinosaurs. I mean, really, I would tire little of the myriad of ways my dude or dudette ragdolls from a velociraptor pounce or T-Rex overbite.

9. Shazbut says:

It looks at least 5 years old graphically, but I am interested even if I foresee endless quick time events involving escaping from dinosaurs in order to pad things out.

10. Untruth says:

(Gah, screwed up reply)

11. Jackablade says:

…Well this isn’t where I wanted to post.

12. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Picture in picture scene navigation?

They’ve invented a new term for mini-map?

• pacificator says:

Pictureception

• dontnormally says:

I think you got it rong.

It’s like a circular dialog option doodad, but instead displays pictures / “scenes” – so, as a “Director”, you choose the next Scene in the same way you would choose a dialog option in, say, Mass Effect.

13. db1331 says:

Somebody just remake Trespasser with modern visuals and physics, and decent AI. That’s all I want.

14. fashionea says:

a website with you ,
    (http://url7.me/c6i4 )
    Believe you will love it.
    credit card and f ree s hipping.
    I bought two pairs. Cheap, good quality, you can
    go and ship with there
    (http://url7.me/c6i4 )

15. ShaunCG says:

Sounds potentially promising to me.

I am not a fan of QTEs but nor do I despise them, on the basis that, actually, Resi 4 wasn’t ruined by then, and they were actually quite fun in God of War, and they constitute about 0.3% of your CODs and the like, and oh hey rhythm action games are fun and those are kind of the big daddy of QTEs, huh? I don’t hear anyone complaining about Gitaroo Man, and if I did they’d get a gentle slap.

QTEs can be handled well, basically, and when done so they’re not a million miles away from things which resemble “fun”.

More interesting to me is the idea that you can cut between characters (ala. Martian Gothic: Unification, as well as TellTale’s own Tomb of Sammun-Mak). I wonder if that pauses the other characters as in the latter’s movie reels, or leaves the other characters irritatingly vulnerable as in Unification? And I wonder if the puzzles demand that you flick between characters to accomplish things in a certain order? If the puzzles are well-designed, and they take advantage of their structure to enhance that – Sam & Max season 3 makes this feel likely – then the setting will sell it to me.

Good luck to TellTale I say. I didn’t like S&M seasons 1 or 2 or their take on Monkey Island overly much from what I played but S&M S3 saw them hitting their stride, so I remain hopeful.

16. chabuhi says:

I might have to buy this just for the dino-rific slaughter of humans, but do you ever actually directly control any character? It really looks like it’s all QTEs all the time. That could be cool if I’m actually directing a “film” that I can later watch – but if this is a click your own adventure … I don’t know.

17. Bodylotion says:

Didn’t expected a next ‘tresspasser’ so this game must either have really good puzzles and story for me to like it.

• Wulf says:

I’m actually really glad it’s not a next trespasser.

“Here is a gun. Go and shoot dinosaurs.”

That’s the most boring concept for me, really, and I’m just not interested by that at all.

In contrast, a bunch of everyday people who aren’t all trained to be supersoldiers running for their lives and using what skills they do have in order to survive, just trying to survive without killing their way out? See, now that is an attractive concept.

I was bored by Trespasser (sorry), but this? This might be interesting.

One thing that was great about Jurassic Park in general is that it was never about guns. I am kind of sick of guns, guns solving everything, in games.

I remember one line TotalBiscuit said about this as to why he liked shooters, and I don’t begrudge him for it at all, it’s his scene. I’m not against anyone who likes shooters, I’m just stating my opinion here. But yeah, one line that he had?

“Shoot GUN at MAN. That’s the sort of point & click I’d like to play.”

Or something like that.

And it’s times like that when you realise just how much deadly force is used in games to solve problems. Do we always have to kill in order to play an entertaining game? Is that a thing? Does it have to be a necessity?

So yeah, more interested in this than Trespasser.

18. Wulf says:

T-Rex headchomping? I’m suddenly very interested.

It’s going to be hard not letting the dinosaurs win.

19. Khemm says:

I love Jurassic Park, love adventure games, but this… looks fake, cheap and too QTE ridden for my taste.

20. BatmanBaggins says:

Skeptical but curious. Telltale has been hit or miss for me.

Sam & Max, Monkey Island, and to a lesser extent Strong Bad, were great.

Back to the Future, Wallace & Gromit were pretty lousy.

Not a huge Jurassic Park fan, but this looks like it might be cool. Maybe.

21. buzzmong says: