Den Defence: Assassin’s Creed Revelations

By Adam Smith on October 28th, 2011 at 4:20 pm.

That's not a glowing scif- plot device, it's barrier placement

Assassins love their dens almost as much as foxes love theirs. It’s where they hang out, sharpening their knives and polishing their coins, so it’s hardly surprising that when gangs of angry Templars start storming those dens, trying to dull the knives and mar the coins, the assassins are having none of it. Admittedly, it’s a little surprising that there appears to be a tower defence minigame simulating those myriad historical moments in Assassin’s Creed Revelations. We can now add magically barricading streets and commanding troops to the list of things parkour-killers are capable of. What next? I say fishing and basketball.

As in real life, conversations end with an invitation to leap off a rooftop.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Khann says:

This might be pretty fun, but unfortunately these types of things are usually half-assed and get old very quickly.

• Kdansky says:

I just bought Dungeon Defenders, and I am having a blast with it. Because it’s a fun genre. But let me get one thing straight:

In a game where everything is completely serious, from art style up to voice acting, tower defense is just absolutely retarded. It feels like the characters from Schindler’s List in a sports Anime. When the enemies are comically proportioned orcs with ridiculous dialogue (e.g. Orcs Must Die), it is acceptable that they rush blindly into walls and beat on them while getting shot in the face. But when they look and move like human beings, it’s just insulting to the part of my brain that is responsible for my suspension of disbelief.

Dear developers: Don’t do this shit.

Dear players: Don’t buy stuff like this. Buy Dungeon Defenders or OMD or Sanctum instead.

• TWeaK says:

It feels like the characters from Schindler’s List in a sports Anime.

If someone did that, I might actually start watching anime again.

2. herschel says:

High-tech tower defence… ugh… as written in the text. I´ll rest my case. :)

3. Kuroko says:

Like reality, but realer.

4. Heliocentric says:

I like assassins creed, I like tower defence.

I’m getting this eventually anyway so we’ll just have to wait and see I guess.

5. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Has the “Dour Defence” RPS title pun been done yet? If not, feel free – you’re welcome.

6. BeamSplashX says:

I can’t wait for Assassin’s Creed: Double Dash: Turbo Championship Edition. I hear the pre-order box is trapped and you have to open it without triggering the hidden blades.

7. mjig says:

Played AC1 and 2 but they were a little repetitive. Maybe I’ll give them another go when AC1+2+Brotherhood go on sale at Christmas. Everyone raves about them.

• TrouserDemon says:

AC1 was pretty arse, and it was only through heroic effort that I got through it. AC2 and Brotherhood are light years ahead and damn good fun.

8. sneetch says:

“As in real life, conversations end with an invitation to leap off a rooftop.”

If I was a templar I’d start putting anvils in random hay carts. Just in case.

9. JimmyJazz says:

I hope this won’t put a den’t in my enjoyment.

10. MichaelPalin says:

Oh, boy…

11. Pop says:

“They usually come in waves”

*brainwave*

(oddly brainwaves sound like the ‘ding’ that microwaves make when done)

Right, that’s it! I demand a moronic general simulator! Your goal is to kill off all your men by deploying them as foolishly as possible!

There’s an ace game in this – perhaps even the possibility of historical tie ins?

• John Brindle says:

It would need to have a function to upload your most preposterous defeats to Youtube. Imagine the triumphs of incompetence and lunacy that real hardcore players would manage.

(Personally, my brainwaves make a standard Nokia chime)

12. Mr_Initials says:

I REALLY don’t want to go near this. I don’t hate tower defense but this seems way out of place. Give me a sword and I will stand and hold the line.

• Zenicetus says:

Same here. I hate minigames that take the player character out of their normal context like this. So, Ezio waves his hand and barriers magically appear, and cannon fire magically explodes in the street? What the hell. I want to be an assassin in a game like this, not a military commander using magic weapons in a strategy game.

It would be okay if it was an optional side mission, but from the trailer’s context it sounds like this will be an unavoidable part of the main storyline.

13. Roshin says:

No zombies, no sale. I’m sorry, but I have to draw a line somewhere.

14. Burning Man says:

What. The. Fuck.

15. povu says:

Hopefully the game has more than these kind of gimmicks to make it stand out from the previous ones… Brotherhood was already way too similar to AC2, and it would suck if Revelations is just Brotherhood with a new story and just a few minor features.

• JimmyJazz says:

Well, if it similar to Brotherhood, then it might be different enough to AC2 i might buy it, hopefully.

• Iskariot says:

To be honest I liked AC2 better because of of the variation in cities. I was quite bored by Rome half way through the game to be honest. Everything started to look the same to me.
      Do not get me wrong, I did like most of the new gameplay elements in Brotherhood in general, but I would have liked to visit other cities like in the first two AC games. I enjoyed the contrast of the countryside while traveling in the first AC game for example.
      I also thinks the Assassin’s are incredibly overpowered. You can not be defeated with them at call. They should be defeatable by guards if used unwise, but they are like invulnerable gods and that breaks the game. Also even if a thousand guards spot your assassin’s your cover is never blown. It is ridiculous.

16. Dath says:

I am sooo using this to get those 100 men+ killstreaks I always wanted in Brotherhood.

17. Jahkaivah says:

I can’t help but feel that Assassins Creed is becoming less and less like the game I wish it was in the first place.

• MattM says:

A focus on deepening the mechanics around assassinations could really make this game a bit more distinctive. The organization building minigames might not be bad, but they seem like the base building/ leveling up that you get in a lot of games these days.

18. Real Horrorshow says:

If this series wasn’t mired in this sci fi da vinci code shit, it could have produced the best ninja game ever created.

• FunkyBadger3 says:

That’s Batman AC, surely?

• Jahkaivah says:

I would love it if Rocksteady could make an Assassins Creed game. They managed to do the stealth/action thing right in just one game with Arkham Asylum, perhaps they could do wonders for the whole run-from-the-enemies thing as well.

• Zyrxil says:

No chance in hell. From the beginning, Assassin’s Creed was all about stylish kill animations, not actual stealth gameplay. The story has no influence on that.

19. Stormbane says:

Fuck everyone! Brotherhood is the best game I have played this year. The building of an assassin harem to use in beautifully co-ordinates death strikes was the best game mechanic in the history of gaming.

I trust the developers of the assassin’s creed franchise (I hesitate to say ubisoft) with my god damn life. More tower defense in every game I say!

20. Burky says:

I’d say this was scraping the barrel, but that was Brotherhood.

This is Post-Barrel.

21. Iskariot says:

I love Assasin’s Creed and I love tower defense games. I play both a lot.
    But to be honest I do not like the combination of the two. Especially the way you ‘magically’ place barricades and stuff like that. It just does not fit AC. It is too gamey. AC was already balancing on the edge. Now it goes over it as far as I am concerned. But I will still buy the game if it does not suffer from DRM disease.

I would have rather seen the implementation of disguises for example. I never understood why that was not a standard feature in this game of assassination (except for some scripted instances).

• Zenicetus says:

Disguises would have been a cool game mechanic. But that would be for a more realistic take on the assassin genre, where you’re constantly trying to blend in, instead of being basically just a bad-ass fighter.

I always thought it was hilarious that the lead character struts around these towns wearing visible weapons and clothing that couldn’t be more obvious if there was a neon sign floating over his head, saying “Look, an Assassin! Right Here!!”. And everyone around you just ignores it, and treats you like a regular person.

• Thants says:

Hitman, basically.

22. Spider Jerusalem says:

Am I the only one who liked AC1?

• Stephen Roberts says:

Nope. It was repetitive but no one was forcing the player to do the ‘eavesdrop, pick pocket and intimidate’ investigation missions. Every target had six or nine ‘missions’ of which three were required for a green flag. So I quite liked it. Plus the wanky future nonsense of the other two titles makes AC1 look positively alluring in hindsight. Even quitting wasn’t as bad as people made out because it reliably alt+f4′ed.

Also I think it held a little more closely to the idea of an Assassin as someone that does as little killing as possible to achieve the greatest change. Ezio is a bloody genocide machine. There should be some sort of achievement for killing exactly the amount of people required to complete the main story line and no more.

• Urthman says:

Alt-F4 sometimes corrupts your savegame in AC1, so back it up if you wanna quit that way.

23. pacificator says:

The reasoning behind this:
    “Peperoni pizza is good…nutella is good…ice-cream is good…why not mix them in a nutella-icecream-peperoni pizza dish to rule them all?”

24. Thiefsie says:

Does anyone remember the Wheel of Time multiplayer?? That was awesome, and kind of tower defencey (against your other player however).

This fantastical idea reminds me of Robert Jordan…

Comment on this story