Flight Check: Take On Helicopters Released

By Andrew Smee on October 28th, 2011 at 9:56 am.

wubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwub

Take On Helicopters, Bohemia Entertainment’s civilian helicopter sim, has landed. Or taken off. Or remains hovering, terrifying, in the air, threatening to remove fingers from waving hands. Our lovely Tim was quite taken with it and now you can be too. It’s on Steam for $49.99 or £31.99 and is also available on a whole crate-load of international distributors. Tim recommended it for anyone with even a passing interest in flight sims, so fire up those rotors and watch out for crosswinds. The release trailer’s fuelling up after the jump, and features footage of some thrilling low-altitude flights through the tree line.

Wasn’t that exciting? I want to see more of Tom’s relationship with his friend at the beginning there. Throttle up high to fix wrecked friendships. Barrel roll to order another round. Pitch left to remember the good times, and let’s not allow distance to ruin things again. I love you, man.

I know. I love you too.

, , .

1. Echo Black says:

It’s the flight model they’re going to use in ArmA 3, right?

• Dana says:

Nope, the second one. From Operation Arrowhead.

Or perhaps yes, its still on the old engine though.

• Stuart Walton says:

I’ve spent plenty of time in most of the ARMA2:OA aircraft and about 2hrs in free flight in TOH. Ican say that the flight modelling in TOH is significantly trickier, and I’m only on Trainee difficulty at the moment.

There are now a number of extra things to look out for. Too much horizontal speed and the blades will stall, you have about a second or two to dump the collective and pitch up before you drop like a rock. I tried it out and didn’t do the right thing immediately and dropped from 1200 to 200 on the altimeter (I think it’s in ft) before i regained control. There are other ways to stall the blades, especially in the Huey, which probably spins at lower revolutions.

Landing is incredibly tricky due to the back wash. You be in a nice hover, descending at a nice slow rate and then just before you think you’re about to kiss the deck gently you’ll be bounced back by a cushion of air. So for vertical landings you have to descend quickly to punch through and then add a littlle collective before you crunch into the ground. Angled landings don’t get it as much but I’m still having trouble with that. On the flip side there is a little bit of a WIG effect when flying fast and low which gives you a little bit of an error margin for acrobatic antics.

You can do a loops, a split-S, an Immelman, and even a barrel-roll (of a sorts, it’s far from a nice helical path). Just make sure you have enough altitude and the right speed before attempting them. I tried an autorotation landing… didn’t end well. I got the Huey on the ground without dying, but it wouldn’t fly afterwards. It was missing a few bits, like the main rotor.

I think I’d do better with analogue collective control, been using the Xbox pad and collective defaults to the bumpers. I prefer to have the pedals and the collective mapped to the r-stick, but the game wants that for the free-look. Fortunately I have FreeTrack set up so I should be able to change that. I suspect on Trainee yaw control gets trimmed automatically, harder simulation modes will probably require a proper set of flight controls.

2. Turin Turambar says:

They have confirmed to have the new FM in Arma 3, at least as an option, but they were unsure if integrate it in the campaign.

3. Emmanuel says:

what are the System requirements for this game if it works on dual core or single core im in.

4. sinister agent says:

Taaaake Oooon Helicopters! Taaaake Helicopters Oooon!

Bit rich for my blood, this. But it looks oddly relaxing.

5. Enzo says:

I wonder how broken it is. After all it’s Bohemia Interactive.

6. Zeewolf says:

Did Mastertronic forget they were publishing this or what?

7. westyfield says:

Ooh, being a coastguard rescue pilot looks like fun.

8. lucasdigital says:

Agreed, Mr Smee. After an hour with the pre-release beta, I was unsure about this one, but I kept with it and after a further 3-4 hours I must say that I’m loving it. Would I rather be throwing a Longbow variant Apache around? Definitely, but Take On gives you enough challenges with the simple stuff – reminicent of the better FSX missions. There’s something to be said for putting the gamer’s focus on flying rather that gunsights/HUD recticles, though it sure would be nice to maybe get a Cobra as an add-on.

9. Cooper says:

But it’s no SimCopter

10. kyrieee says:

Another sim I’ll pick up as soon as I get a decent joystick + TrackIR

11. Megadyptes says:

Heh, a bit pircey.

12. Zenicetus says:

For anyone flying it… How many of the missions are based on beating a count-down timer? I can handle a few of those, but it’s my least favorite way of setting up missions for this type of game. I prefer flying skill tests, like whether or not you can manage a landing in a crosswind, or hover near a bridge for a rescue mission. If the game is crammed with timed mission goals, I’ll probably pass on it.

Also, how is the weather modeling? The smaller birds wouldn’t be flying in bad weather, but the bigger ones like Coast Guard and Medevac would (up to a point).

• royaltyinexile says:

The career mode is designed to provide quite a varied range of helicopter gameplay. Timed flight is part of that, but it’s by no means the default.

In fact, it’s only explicitly used in 1 of the core campaign (career) missions, although the mechanics of time-out are deployed in maybe one or two more.