Undeyeing: Team Fortress 2 Halloween

By Andrew Smee on October 28th, 2011 at 10:44 am.

I want the Invisible Man Spy outfit. WANT IT

Team Fortress 2’s sinewy neck of content has been slashed open once more, pumping forth a bloody torrent of hats and features. It’s the third annual Halloween update, and it brings full-body costumes for every class (including a fantastic “teleporter gone wrong” Brundlefly for the Engineer), an update for classic King of the Hill map Viaduct turning it into Eyeaduct, which features dimension-jumping slipgates and a spooktacular boss fight with the Demoman’s demon-posessed eyeball, and finally another superb Halloween-themed comic book depicting the origins of said demon eyeball. It’s all still Free to Play of course, with the new costume items being found randomly throughout the map or available to buy immediately in the MannCo store. A short demonstration of the boss battle is after the jump.

A couple of things to note about his commentary: the final stage of picking up the Bombinomicon isn’t first come, first served; rather, all the players who reach that stage can pick it up and and gain the achievement co-operatively. Also, any class can wear the Monoculous hat, not just the Demoman.

Does the TF2 team ever get any sleep? I do wonder if they’ll be able to sleep soundly in their beds after this, as they’ve also made it so that any of those gasp-inducingly expensive Unusual hats uncrated during this period will have a special Halloween-themed effect, one that can’t be found again after the event ends on November 6th. I don’t dare to guess at how many buds, Maxs and Bills one of those collection of pixels will eventually go for.

, , , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Dana says:

Ive been eyeing this update for a while now, it looks awesome.

• OtioseNexus says:

It certainly made me bat an eye lid.

• The Tupper says:

Certainly myopic for the weekend’s festivities!

• Tatourmi says:

Eye for one will not play this update.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Oh put a lid on it.

• Nim says:

I don’t see the fun in this.

Rinox says:

You should probably turn a blind eye to this update then.

• thecat17 says:

These Halloween updates have been getting cornea each year.

Man Raised by Puffins says:

Do me a fovea guys and put a sock in it.
      “These Halloween updates have been getting cornea each year.”?
      Iris my case.

• oldfart says:

I see what you did here.
      Oh wait…

• The Tupper says:

I was planning on another pun to continue this thread, but couldn’t decide on whether to use “Eye’d” or “Eye would”

I might be suffering from conjunctivitis.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

You guys deserve a lashing.

• The Tupper says:

After all this talk the update itself was rather disappointing, while at the same time amazing.

Oh hang on: I’m being bi-vocal.

2. King Toko says:

Yeah looks good also Killing Floor has a Halloween update.

3. Icarus says:

I haven’t played TF2 for years, but damn I do so love reading those comics they do for updates.

• Skabooga says:

If the TF2 team is having even half the fun I imagine they have when creating these updates, I envy them greatly.

4. airtekh says:

Awesome.

The halloween event last year was great fun, can’t wait to get stuck into this one too.

• LionsPhil says:

You might have to wait. I literally haven’t been able to play TF2 for months because the experience these days involves autojoin repeatedly missing its chance to grab a slot on a server full of screaming thirteen-year-olds, and then hl2.exe crashing halfway through loading, or just as you start to warm up, or you’ll get in only for the item server to crap out and everyone leaves because they can’t wear their hats any more.

And speaking of items, that bloody four-slot loadout wiped all the existing config, rather than migrating it to slot A or something. Lazy and hateful, Valve.

5. Tuco says:

Guys, speaking of Valve, you should really, really, REALLY make a post about this:

• DainIronfoot says:

Oh, wow, that’s fantastic. I especially like the way they made it look like the little animations from the trailers/lift screens.

• Andrew Smee says:

Not to worry, it’s in the pipeline.

Rinox says:

That comic is absolutely wonderful…I do believe I will be shooting a giant haunted demoman eye tonight!

• Urthman says:

And it features Old Man Murray’s Adventure Gaming Mascot, Francis the Talking France!

7. Swainy says:

Pity Valve didn’t learn from last year and are still using the incredibly terrible Halloween gift box system. Except now there’s dozens more items to try get before the other 8 scouts do.

Gaben be trollin while he rollin (in dosh).

8. rocketman71 says:

Nice one.

The TF2 team doesn’t get any sleep, but the DoD:S team must be only composed of Sleeping Beauty by now. 3 years already waiting for Valve to release the fucking FINISHED map fixes Fuzzdad did.

JB says:

What? No “staring eye” tag?

Monchberter says:

I’ve been a consistent TF2 player since the beta and have become a dab hand at trading, but I can’t for the life of me work out the utterly arbitrary and stupid informal monetary system that players insist on.

Why are ‘buds’ or a ‘Max’ or a ‘Bill’ worth such ridiculous amounts when there are many other rarer items and hats in the game.

Some sense please!

• Ringwraith says:

As they’re limited edition items that no-one can get any more of, so there’s only a finite number of the things.
      That’s why they’re considered valuable.

Monchberter says:

So are many many other hats / miscs. The arbitrary choice of these hats and the stupid prices just leave me bitter.

Frankly I just wish valve made everything craftable / droppable to a recipe just so things were less like a dirty dirty capitalist ‘bubble’.

• Ringwraith says:

Well, they’re obviously also desirable limited items, although I have two of those and don’t really use them even when I did play TF2 with some regularity, as I preferred other items. Although I like to collect limited-edition things to an extent, so while I wouldn’t go out of my way to get them, I will hang onto them.

Monchberter says:

I’ve got no problem with desirablility, I just wish there was some formal cap on prices (no pun intended) to take trading out of the hands of the obsessive trader subsection of the community.

Say something reachable by all such as any hat can’t be traded for any more than 4 other hats.

At the moment the trading side of TF2 is just a snobby minefield of self-made experts sneering at ‘lowballing noobs’ who innocently offer something they consider to be of an offensively low price.

• deadpan says:

It’s just for nerds who want to dress up their little dolls. Only a few items really affect the game’s balance, and if you play even semi-regularly you’ll get most of the good stuff in random drops. All of the standard equipment is still viable.

But I’m a Mac user who preordered both Left 4 Dead 2 and Sam & Max Season 3, so maybe I’m a little biased.

11. The Ninja Foodstuff formerly known as ASBO says:

I just wish they would make the whole find a server/map system less obtuse. Why can’t there just be official servers or something?

• DainIronfoot says:

Just do a search for “Valve” servers.

• The Ninja Foodstuff formerly known as ASBO says:

Seriously? I never thought to try that.

• rayne117 says:

Or just do the quick match auto search thing they have. It’ll only put you on Valve servers.

12. Bodylotion says:

So many games to play and replay………

13. RegisteredUser says:

I will install TF2 for this..but it’s a real shame there is only 1 week of play for this. Wish it would be longer..was so reminded of Eye Of The Beholder.