The RPS Bargain Bucket: Discount 2000

By Lewie Procter on October 29th, 2011 at 4:46 pm.

It’s Halloween on Monday, so all the scary games are cheap cheap cheap. A lot of the games on sale this week appear to be discounted at a few different places, so if I’ve missed out one that’s cheapest in your region, do pipe up in the comments so I can update it: I can only juggle so many numbers in this brain of mine at once. Head to SavyGamer.co.uk to hear about all the cheap games, all the time.

Six Gun Saga – £6.02/€5.71/$7.49
Solium Infernum – £10.06/€9.53/$12.49
Armageddon Empires – £10.03/€9.51/$12.47
Apply coupon “NEVERONSTEAM”.
Here’s a the triple threat of all three Cryptic Comet games reduced by 50%. Vic Davis explains his thinking behind this sale here. It’s always disappointing to hear of interesting developers who want to sell their games via Steam (and let Valve take a cut of sales) getting rejected, but I suppose it is their platform, and they can do what they want with it. Reading list: That Quinns fella did a writeup of Solium Infernum over at GameSetWatch and Six Gun Saga here, and then there’s the Gameboys From Hell series where you get to see documentation of how one long game of Solium Infernum went from multiple perspectives.

Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines – £1.85/2.11/$2.98
This is restricted to certain regions on Direct2Drive, but if it isn’t available to you, it’s also (slightly less) discounted on Steam too, and that should be available internationally. Some guy called Kieron reviewed this for Eurogamer at release, and Jim contemplated why it stands alone as a special game about Vampires:

Bloodlines is something like an action soap-opera. I truly wish I could say that of more games. So few games have attempted to access this most natural of game approaches: analogy of the real world, with conversation and violence intermingled, rather than simply delivering uninterrupted carnage, or endless management. These ‘immersive sim’ games are tough to make, granted, but when you play something like Bloodlines they also feel like they’re the games we deserve.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent ~ £2.60 at both Steam and GamersGate.
Penumbra Collection ~ £4 at Steam, Direct2Drive & GamersGate.
A pair of spooky, immersive, first person adventures from frictional games. Both come highly recommended from me, and these low low prices. Here’s wot John thought of Amnesia:

And did I mention it’s scary? I was inventing new swears by the end of it. “Fucking cocksticks, what the shitstack was that?!” And I confess I yelped on more that one occasion. One of them might be considered, by some, to be a squeal. But more often I’d find myself rigid with fear, my stomach pressed against my desk as I leaned into the monitor trying to reach the next illusion of safety more quickly. I think it is safe to say that Amnesia is the most successfully frightening game to have been made. It feels perhaps a slightly over-obvious observation, but the compliment is utterly valid: It’s Thief III’s Cradle as a full game. Unrelenting in its scares and jumps.

Cthulhu Saves the World & Breath of Death VII – £1.33/€1.33/$2
The ridiculously cheap comedy RPGs from Zeboyd games just got even cheaper. Full price at £1.99 was a steal, and no you’ve got no excuse. Here’s wot John thought of CSTW:

The level of detail is just remarkable. Not just the enemies, but the way that every bookshelf in every building has a gag written for it. Looking through people’s drawers in their houses always offers a joke. Banter between the characters is often very funny, and Cthulhu’s internal conflict over his goody/baddy confusion is lovely. Arguments between in-game characters and the narrator may not be an original idea, but it’s one likely unfamiliar to anyone who wasn’t playing games in the 1980s, and it’s done very well here. And I’m a sucker for meta gags, so seeing Cthulhu complain, “I can save any time? What is this, a first person shooter?” makes me smile.

Bloody great games. Impulse buy them now, I command it.

Deal of the week
A.R.E.S. Extinction Agenda, Gemini Rue, Sanctum & Nimbus – £3.75/€4.27/$6.05 (at time of writing)
As reported earlier this week, freshly launched constant-indie-bundle thing, Indie Royal, has got four games that are all worth your time/money/energy on sale for rather cheap. The price fluctuates over time depending on spending patterns (it’s all explained here), and where possible they will include Steam and Desura keys (all four of these include Steam keys, and all but Sanctum include Desura keys).

Also of note:
GOG halloween promo
BioShock – £3.49/€4.99/$4.99
BioShock 2 – £3.49/€4.99/$4.99
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat & S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl – £5.74/€5.99/$8.74
Atom Zombie Smasher – £2.04/€3.40/$3.40
Dead Space Pack – £11.89/€15.29/$13.59
Terraria – £2.99/€4.99/$4.99
Limbo – £5.24/€7.49/$7.49
Rock of Ages – £5.24/€5.99/$7.49
Space Pirates and Zombies – £7.49/€10.49/$11.24

For more delicious discounted games, be sure to check SavyGamer.co.uk.

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Raiyan 1.0 says:

If you haven’t played Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines, I would highly recommend you grab it while you can.

• Kefren says:

I’m on my third playthrough at the moment. First time as Ventrue, and using the unofficial patch. Currently at Ocean House. Even on the third playthrough it makes the hairs on my neck stand up when I play in the dark with headphones on!

• Urthman says:

Grab it while you can! It will never be on sale again!

(Sorry to make fun of the way you put it, but I’m getting to the place where I’m declining to pay $2.50 for games that I really, really want to play because I literally have 20 or more big games ahead of them on my list…)

• Ubik2000 says:

I know we talk about this every time Vampire comes up, but remind me which is the better fan patch?

• nofing says:

@Urthman If you really want to play this game, then I’d recommend to make an exception for this game, because it very rarely goes on sale. Granted it had one during the sommer sale this year, but prior to that I can’t remember a single time it was discounted (not even during the other big sommer and winter sales).

• 20thCB says:

@Ubik2000 – dunno which is the “better” patch but this is the one I use – http://www.patches-scrolls.de/vampire_bloodlines.php
      Can anyone recommend the older Vampire RPG over at gog.com – Redemption ?

• McCool says:

This. Reading KG’s review gave me a sadface. I was one of the lucky sods who encountered almost no bugs when playing the game on release and was willing to forgive the faults of the last third due to the strengths of the first two. It still remains the best written game I’ve ever played, I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve gone back and played through it. Why are there no other games even vaguely like this?

• Someblokius says:

20thCB = Vampire: Redemption is vastly underrated in my opinion. Nice graphics which haven’t really dated, good writing and far more faithful in terms of mechanics to V:tM than Bloodlines. Possible downsides – the base story is a fairly mushy romance and fall from grace which is not entirely cliche-free, and the dialogue is dominated by Ye Olde Hollywoode Englishe (I actually find it charming but opinions vary.)

It also has provision for multiplayer very similar to Neverwinter Nights – complete with Storyteller (ie Dungeonmaster,) which seems to have only ever found a small audience. Still a few fansites with downloads around though.

If you’re at all into V:tM or Bloodlines I’d give it a go – for a couple of quid you might have a good deal of fun.

Edit: forgot to mention – the music is very good too – really atmospheric stuff. In fact they really nailed atmosphere generally, particularly the Middle Ages bits.

• mjig says:

There isn’t much point in paying for VTMB. Troika is dead, you’re just giving your money to Activision.

• InternetBatman says:

Redemption is interesting. It’s the definition of a mediocre dungeon runner to me. There are some good moments, and I found that the game definitely got better in the second half. I never tried multiplayer, but it looked like it had some very interesting elements. I’d say the strongest part of the game is the ruleset, but the weakest part is the pacing and plot. After the first town the noncombat areas are poorly fleshed out. It was fun for a bit, dragged on for a while, was fun some more after you go to modern times, and seriously dragged on through the ending.

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

@Urthman: The ‘GRAB IT WHILE YOU CAN!’ was because I’ve rarely seen VtMB on discount, despite the terrible state of the game without the fan-made patches. :)

@Ubik2000: The latest unofficial 7.8(!) patch has yet to give me any grief.

• Urthman says:

…fantastic game…rare discount…ridiculously cheap…must resist…clicking…

• RogerMellie says:

Am EXTREMELY tempted by this game but live overseas and Steam appears to be my only option (D2D is IP restricted). I’m guessing I can’t use any fan patches with this version so is the normal version still worth it? Or is there another option? Any help most appreciated :)
      EDIT: Cheers for the quick answer Luminosity, big help.

luminosity says:

The patches work with the Steam version.

• bill says:

@mjig:
      Activision being, i assume, the ones that paid for it’s development and distribution and therefore allowed Troika to make it and us to play it?

Yeah, shouldn’t give money to them.

I’m off to knick a few ipods as steve jobs is dead and buying them would just be giving money to apple.

• neoghoul says:

Grab the game and immediately install the unofficial fan-patch and the – which I btw can’t believe that nobody has mentioned it before – the clan-quest mod or the camarilla mod. Unfortunately you cannot have all three installed at the same time:( . Stil… Clan-Quests works with the community patch!

• D3xter says:

@bill: Activision being the ones that first forced Troika to release the game not ready/buggy and with barely any advertisement backing just to close them down like 2 months after because of poor sales.
      And Activision that did all this and more: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=128252

• undead dolphin hacker says:

@D3exter

That or Troika were bad/mediocre programmers/testers who took way too long to do everything to the point publishers finally said “put out or get out.”

But no, it must be the publisher’s fault. Despite the fact that there were three separate publishers for their three separate games and the same damn thing happened with each one, of course.

2. HardenedMetapod says:

I picked up Amnesia yesterday. I’m kind of excited to see how it lives up to the hype.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I remember your optimism.

I had it.

How scary can it be? It’s just a game. Well this isn’t scary, endless identical stone corridors, and dying in a game is just a matter of loading a save, right? So how can anyone be – what was that? That noise… It is behind me! The doors aren’t opening fast enough! I hear it coming through the door I just slammed shut! Oh god it’s so dark… I can barely see the door up ahead, i hope there is no obstacles on the floor… In Satan’s name, the door I just came through is creaking open! I hear it breathing. Shit. Closet. Must hide in closet. I don’t want to see but I have to look as those bellowing lungs and heavy, hard feet clump and wheeze and snort ever closer…

• Skabooga says:

I decided to pick up Amnesia in the sale as well. It’s an odd sort of dynamic where I’m paying for a game I’m too scared to ever play.

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

I really want to see HardenedMetapod’s battered and mutilated optimism in his next post.

• Rich says:

“I just found a bag of Milky Ways!!!”

• Koozer says:

METAPOD used Harden!
      METAPOD’s Defense rose!
      AMNESIA used Scary Face!
      METAPOD’s Speed sharply fell!

…I was going to type something more witty, but I can’t bring myself to type an incorrect status change.

• Moonracer says:

I played about 20 minutes of Amnesia. Sadly it was more frustrating than scary for me. But I think it has more to do with horror games not being my style. I wanted to like it.

• Dominic White says:

At about 20 minutes in, you’re still in the prologue and just kinda stumbling through the tutorial areas. Come back after an hour.

• Wulf says:

I played a bit of Amnesia but I’m too terrified of it to continue. I’m a wuss, and it’s a bloody scary game, and when I’m playing stuff like that alone it usually leads to some fairly interesting nightmares. So whilst I value what they’ve done, and whilst I was more than happy to give them my money, I doubt Amnesia is a game that I could ever, ever complete.

• nrvsNRG says:

still cant play more then 20 minutes at a time…(what the fuck is wrong with me i’m a grown man for gods sake!)

• TillEulenspiegel says:

It’s much less scary if you turn off the sound. That does slightly ruin the experience, though.

• JackShandy says:

I dunno, I found it disappointingly unscary. I’m not the kind of guy that masochistically laughs off scares or anything, I could never play silent hill 2 for more than half an hour at a time. Mostly it was because I kept getting stuck on puzzles and thus figuring out the limits of the system.

Like, I come into a room and a spooky monster goes past, and I eventually travel on to find a dead end- then I spend half an hour wandering around and poking at things, the monster having teleported out, with Daniel slowly descending into gibbering madness as I vaguely prodded the walls and wondered what I was supposed to do.

Same thing happened with the water-filled room; It’s scary-ish the first time, but once I got to the end I spent half an hour poking around trying to figure a way out, dying to it again and again, all the mystery and horror of the experience totally drained.

• Chucrute says:

I played it for about an hour, crawling through the corridors. I just discovered i forgot a chemical in the wine cellar. I don’t want to go back :( And i believe i haven’t even got to the horrifying parts. A good thing is that apparently i already played more than most of my friends on steam did.

• Apples says:

I was really disappointed by Amnesia. I got to the part where you’re finding things in the wine cellar, and was really bored. Hadn’t been scared once, the camera effects were annoying, and every bit of plot and puzzle had been rubbish. Gameplay seemed to consist of looking in dark blurry corners for physics props, occasionally hearing a ~spooky noise~, and listening to somebody talk about things I neither understood or cared about. Maybe it gets better, but once I quit I could never muster the enthusiasm to continue.

I love the Silent Hill games, so it’s not just that I don’t like horror games – it’s just that this game in particular barely even got a jump out of me in the entire time I played it, let alone the oppressive atmosphere of apprehension and fear that SH2 and 3 had.

• undead dolphin hacker says:

Amnesia just turned out to be too stressful for me to play. It was satisfyingly scary/disturbing at times, but the rest of the time it just felt like a glaucoma test. Stare into the blinking light knowing that a puff of air is going to shoot you in the eye at the least expected moment. It’s tolerable, even exciting, in bursts. But after an hour or two I ended up just feeling tired and unhappy.

It’s a great concept piece showing that games don’t actually have to be enjoyable to be compelling, but as a leisure time activity, I’d rather shoot men or explore colorful places.

Phinor says:

Are any of the Cryptic Comet games good for singleplayer gamers? I think I tried Armageddon Empires demo few years ago but can’t remember much about it. Seeing how there’s demo available for all three of them, maybe I should just try them – or be lazy and ask you guys.

• Zeewolf says:

AFAK, only Solium Infernum includes any multiplayer options at all, so I guess the answer is yes.

Armageddon Empires is certainly quite fun in single player.

4. TillEulenspiegel says:

SavyGamer missed Sword of the Stars Complete for £3.75 on Steam.

Or rather, no they didn’t, that sale just started a while ago. Oops. Well, it’s still going.

5. chaywa says:

You forgot Ghostbusters on sale on Steam for £1.74: http://store.steampowered.com/app/9870/?snr=1_4_4__13

Worth it for the VO alone!

• hosndosn says:

The Steam sale in general:

Lots of interesting games cheap as hell.

• Ubik2000 says:

So far I picked up the FEAR pack and the Dead Space pack on Steam. Probably also going to end up with Ghostbusters, Amnesia and Vampire (just to have it on Steam, you know). Sigh.

• arccos says:

I bought GB on release and loved it. Then I looked at some reviews and was kinda shocked it got a Metacritic of 74. The last third got a little tiresome, but up to that point it was really great!

To bad Sanctum of Slime was a complete different type of game.

6. Mashakosha says:

Grabbed VTMB for all the awesome I’ve heard surrounding it. I hope it lives up to it.

7. hosndosn says:

I’d really like to see Valve’s reasoning for not allowing Armageddon Empires on Steam?

• nofing says:

Well, that’s the problem with Steam, they don’t tell you the reasoning behind it.
      Soldak has similar problems, but it’s even weirder, because they got one game (Depths of Peril) on Steam, but the newer and IMO way better game (Din’s Curse) has been rejected several times now.

• Fumarole says:

“Not a good fit” apparently.

• mwoody says:

It might be related to them being made in Director, which causes all sorts of unfortunate limitations; I doubt, at the very least, they’d work with the Steam overlay at all. I also wonder if they balked at his target price point.

• Jorum says:

I’d guess it’s almost certainly the price. I think his price is £20+ and Valve seems to think indy has to be cheap.

• mjig says:

Well, in their defense, he would probably sell more on steam at a cheaper price.

I’d be willing to bet the Spiderweb made more off Avadon at $10 than they have off of all their other games in the last year combined.

• yutt says:

Valve knows how to increase revenue, and his holding to an arbitrarily high price point just to feel an ego boost doesn’t make sense with digital distribution.

• Starky says:

It is a game with a very niche audience – it’s not a bad game by any means as tactical card based games go it’s decent – I personally don’t think it as good as some of the gushing reviews suggest, but it is solid enough mechanically.

Still it is niche and Valve know it, they also know that most people who would pay £15 for a game like it probably already have (you know the kind of people that get excited about cards hex, and dice – like PnP RPGers like me) – so the only way to generate revenue would be to price it at a point that is attractive to people who are not really fans of CCG like games, but would give it a punt which means probably pricing it at around £7/$10.

• qrter says:

I read that it is related to not being able to change the resolution, or not having specific choices available in resolution.

Cue someone naming some game or other on Steam that’s only playable in 1224×432.

• hosndosn says:

Resolution? Most 2D games don’t allow changing the resolution. Including all the PopCap games (which are locked at 800×600 I guess). SpaceChem certainly doesn’t.

Do they really not tell the submitter why a game got rejected? It could be a million things and, potentially, something simple you can fix… or at least something you might be able to easily avoid for your next game, etc.

8. applecado says:

Just scooped up that bundle for a fiver – ace!

9. CaspianRoach says:

huh, an actual russian ‘b’, that’s weird seeing it in these types of posters

• Memphis-Ahn says:

Just wanted to say that I really, really like your website.

• Doesn'tmeananything says:

Not really weird, as they all usually feature a Russian transliterated letter in an English word.

What’s more common is a nonsensical translation.

That said, I would’ve loved seeing ‘Ведро’ on that poster.

• d32 says:

Vedro?

10. Reinhardt says:

Which is the preferred patch for Bloodlines again?

• elfbarf says:

Yeah, definitely stay away from Tessera’s patch, that guy has some serious issues. Wesp’s patch is by far the best out there and there are some other mods on the page that incorporate the patch which may be worth checking out.

• Vinraith says:

@elfbarf

Don’t invoke he-who-shall-not-be-named, he’s liable to show up and spam the hell out of the comments.

• Dominic White says:

Yeah, the dude is legitimately terrible, and I’m fairly sure he googles his own name ten times a day. This is a man who quotes HIMSELF on the front page of his site.

But yeah, Wesps patch (the one on the Patches Scrolls) is better, updated, not built on code taken without permission, offers more options, and is not only required by most mods, but actually integrated into several of them.

Stellar Duck says:

Good grief!

I got curious, found his site and read an “interview” with him. It was somewhat hilarious, but at the same time disquieting. He’s completely unabashedly ego maniacal. It’s strange to look at.

Not really sure if I should thank you fine gentlemen for pointing me in his direction or embark on an undying vendetta.

• Starky says:

I’d personally recommend the clan quest mod (from the same page linked above, scroll down), even for first time players.

It includes the unofficial patch 7.3 which is older, but not much has changed between 7.3 and 7.8 really; and a load of other optional mods – of which I’d only recommend the weapon sound mod, and the + patch for first time players.

It just adds a couple of nice quests and doesn’t change the game too much.

• Vinraith says:

I was interested in the Clan Quest mod right up until the bit about making stealth and combat harder. This game’s combat engine is its weakest point, the last thing it needs is harder combat.

• Nathan_G says:

After Stellar Ducks comments I had to check out this Tessera character for myself.

Genuinely unhinged. Everything written on the site is bizarre!

• Starky says:

Vin, I honestly didn’t find the combat any harder with the mod – and I think it is the optional difficulty mods (that you can choose not to install) that change the balance the most. Stealth might of been harder but stealth was really easy in the first place anyway.

• Vinraith says:

@Starky

Interesting, and good to know. Does the mod do anything to fix the last third of the game? If so, does it do enough?

• Cryo says:

All those patches, and I just got stuck in a door.

• Starky says:

No, sadly the last 3rd of the game remains much the same.

• Vinraith says:

@Starky

Thanks for the info. That’s unfortunate, a large part of the reason I’ve never replayed Bloodlines is that I can’t bring myself to start an RPG I’ve no intention of finishing.

11. HexagonalBolts says:

I just bought Solium Infernum! Any other newbies fancy a game? Is there somewhere on the forums that people are organising them?

• Jorum says:

Keep an eye on the forums – there’s usually three or four games on the go at any time.

• TailSwallower says:

HexagonalBolt – I set up a thread here for anyone who took advantage of the sale and wants to get in on some Multiplayer action.

Absolutely loving Solium Infernum so far. Only played against the AI, but still so addictive.

12. Gamer-DealZ says:

You missed Shogun 2 with all DLCs cheap on GetGames

• Avish says:

They also have othe Total war tiltes on sale, Anno 1404, CIV V and Settlers 5-7.

Got myself Settlers 7 for 12$.
      Between all the Ubisoft crap it’s looks like quite a cute game.
      Will play it after I’ll finish Gemini rue..

• Squirrelfanatic says:

I got Anno 1404 Gold (includes the add-on ‘Venice’) from GetGames and am quite pleased. It was 15EUR for me and looks as if it is worth the price. I am experiencing some crash-to-desktop issues now and then, but apart from that it’s a REALLY beautiful game.

Martel says:

Dammit, one of the problems of following a UK gaming site is situations like this. Getgames won’t sell me Anno 1404 since I’m in the US :(

13. cptgone says:

GameStop/ Impulse is having a Halloween sale too. If Vampire is not available to you from D2D UK, you’ll find it cheaper here than on Steam:

Lakshmi says:

I’d been considering Amnesia for a while (but my bloke didn’t like it so I haven’t bothered) – now having seen ‘“Fucking cocksticks, what the shitstack was that?!” I feel obliged to buy the bugger and try it out.

• Outright Villainy says:

I’ll put it this way: I’ve never found a game or film scary; Amnesia scares the balls off me.
      Just make sure to play it late at night with the lights off and headphones on, the sound design is phenomenal, easily half the scares come from the ambience and clanking going around.

• Wulf says:

I’ve gotten to the point where I can no longer play Amnesia.

And I feel no shame in admitting this.

jaheira says:

It’s scary for a bit. Then you realise that dying has no gameplay repercussions whatsover. You just wake up somewhere near where you died with the monster gone. Once I realised this I just started deliberately getting myself killed when the monster appeared so I could get on with the next bit of exploring or story.

• Shadowcat says:

jaheira: They make it nice and clear up front that you should try to immerse yourself into the game if you’re going to get the most out of playing it. You’re really just hurting your own experience by doing things like that.

15. Spiny says:

Borderlands Goatee, fiver on steam

Carra says:

All buy the indie bundle so I can get more free DLC for Sanctum :)

17. Tams80 says:

Indie Royale bundle now £2.03. Eh?! It was £3.29 when I got it. Not that I’m complaining, it was/is a brilliant deal, but I thought for the price to go down people had to pay significantly more than the minimum.

18. ShineyBlueShoes says:

Too bad that VtM Bloodlines doesn’t register on Steam, especially since it was the first Source powered game and what not, guess I’d rather have it on Steam than an extra 2 dollars. :\

19. TNG says:

It’s interesting to see how in the same sale on steam you get a myriad of different currency conversions. Just look at Dead Space’s prices! And I used to think that 1$=1€ was bad…

20. Berzee says:

Cthulhu Saves the World sale comes at a good time, as last nigh I was wracking my brains for random old SNES-style RPGs I could try. Yay!

21. Jake says:

Both Dark Fall and Scratches look tempting but I suspect they are both a bit naff. Allllmost tempted by Homecoming but I think it would just make me angry at how far the series has fallen.

Solium Infernum still seems expensive to me at £60 in total, some sort of discount 6-pack would be ideal – like you can get the Borderlands 4-pack for £15 on Steam at the moment which is great value.

Resident Evil 5 is very rarely discounted and is a really, really fun co-op game.

• Giaddon says:

I’m not 100% sure what “naff” means, but those are both good games if you like slow as hell, moody mystalikes.

• Kaira- says:

Dark Fall isn’t quite as good as Scratches, if you ask me. Scratches just has this you-could-cut-it-with-knife-atmosphere.

22. Wulf says:

Regarding the seminal Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines, I’d like to make a suggestion, and that suggestion would be this.

The Clan Quest Mod

The reason for this is because the not only does it include wesp5’s patch (the fan patch that you want) along with a number of other upgrades/fixes I’d suggest otherwise, anyway, but it also has some professionally developed content added to the game. I was actually surprised at just how much so it was.

Here’s a sample of the sort of surprising quality you’ll be getting from that mod, and it’s all well written, too. Slots perfectly in, and adds some nice content to the better half of the game. It’s just one of those things that you won’t regret having, it’s definitely improved my VtMB experience.

jaheira says:

Mod-makers need to stay away from voice acting; it never turns out well.

• Wulf says:

How so?

Hidden_7 says:

His voice really obviously changes part way through into someone doing an imperfect impression of his voice.

Professional voice actors tend to be out of the budget for amateur mod makers, and even when they aren’t, they are often required to slot into the main game invisibly, like this is trying to do, but is failing at.

I don’t know how feasible it would have been for Bloodlines, but if mod makers are going to use new voice work, they really should stick to entirely new characters.

Edit: And having clicked around the “‘tube” (as the kids call it) to other Clan Quest videos, it seems like Beckett is one of the better imitated characters. The Isaac is just awful.

23. Wulf says:

Okay, getting paranoid enough about bad typos/pastes that I’m going to do this, now. RPS tech person, fix this, eh?

24. adamiani says:

Pity, really– even on sale, Armageddon Empires and Solium Infernum are still way, way overpriced– compared to their competitors on Steam.

• squidlarkin says:

Yeah, I think he’d be surprised by how much more he’d make if he just priced competitively, Steam or no.

• JackShandy says:

“Competitively”? Who on earth does he have to compete with? No one else is making games like Vic Davis, so he can price accordingly.

• bill says:

Not overpriced. It’s basic economics. You charge what you need and what people will pay. And if you have a niche product with a limited audience/distribution channel then you charge more than a mass market product would.

He’d undoubtedly make more money selling his games cheaper ON STEAM than more expensively on his website. But he’d almost certainly make less money charging less money on his website.

In the same way that McDonalds would go bankrupt in a week if they sold their burgers at their current prices in a single local store – but they make a fortune selling them at those prices all around the world.

• jalf says:

It’s also basic economics that you want everyone to buy your product, usually with some form of tiered pricing, so those who are willing to pay a lot will do so, and all the cheapskates still buy the game, but at a lower price.

That’s why games tend to drop in price over time. It’s a simple way to pick up those who were too cheap to buy the game at its original price point. And as long as there are people out there saying “I want this game, but it’s too expensive as it is now”, there’s more money to be made.

• MD says:

If you stick to your high-pricing guns though, you’ll eventually convert a few potential cheapskates into full-price customers. And in the long run, you’ll lose some full-price sales by creating the expectation that each new game will eventually end up heavily discounted, and gain some full-price sales by creating the expectation that full price is the only price.

I’m not saying these factors necessarily outweigh the benefits of ‘tiered pricing’ (my hunch is that in most cases they probably don’t, but that for certain products in certain markets they probably do), but they’re worth bearing in mind.

• CMaster says:

@MD
      “And in the long run, you’ll lose some full-price sales by creating the expectation that each new game will eventually end up heavily discounted, and gain some full-price sales by creating the expectation that full price is the only price.”

I’d have to disagree. These days, we can expect a game to be selling for £10 within a year of release (and £20 within a few months) – a huge change from the budget re-release 2-3 years later of tradition. Anyone who pay any attention to game prices can see this. And yet we live in an era where people pre-order like never before. Where release dates are something huge numbers of people care about, where RPS can assume that most of their readers will be playing Portal 2 or DX:HR, or Skyrim, or whatever in the 1-2 weeks following launch,

• johnpeat says:

I think it’s true that some games are sufficiently ‘niche’ that they can command a higher price and still do well because there’s an audience who are willing to pay it. They don’t need to compete on ‘apparent value’ with other games.

CC are a good example – Cliffy’s Space and Tank Battles would be another I suspect.

Where it goes wrong is when they apply to Steam and either get on and moan about pricing anyway (Cliffy) or don’t get on and wonder why (CC) End of the day, if you want to sell your goods in Asda, you need to be cheap – if you want £5 for a bottle of Olive Oil, you sell in a Deli instead…

I’m sure Valve have stats up-the-wazoo on how certain types of games sell at different prices and they know what does and doesn’t work (for them and for the developer/publisher). Their earnings relate to sales – pure and simple – the more the merrier and less work required to get them, the better.

• cptgone says:

didn’t know about these games, until i read this article.
      i think i’d really like ‘em, but at these prices, i’m not buying.

• Vinraith says:

People who only buy cheap games only deserve cheap games.

A deep, replayable strategy game that will entertain you for hundreds of hours is worth a hell of a lot more than $5.

If you only buy games when they’re $5, you’ll rapidly ensure we have an industry full of games that are only worth $5.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

People who only buy cheap games only deserve cheap games.

Amen, brother. You’re whining about 12 bucks for an indie game? Are you fucking kidding me?

I can kinda sorta almost half-understand people who complain about $25+ these days. But really…games are not a commodity to be bought in bulk. If you’re interested in a game, especially if it’s the type that doesn’t just offer a one-time disposable experience, you can pay $10-15. Really you can. And if you’re not interested, move along.

• cptgone says:

not true.
      – in an ever growing market, where the added cost per sale is negligible (digital distribution), lower prices are good for dev and gamer alike (remember how deep mojang’s pockets are?)
      – some people will pre-order / buy full price anyway.
      – the more i “economise” by buying more discounted games than i have time for, the better i can rationalise paying full price at launch for a game that really tickles my fancy, or a dev that needs support.
      (BTW, i’m currently waiting for 2 games i preordered)
      – the market for games is approaching saturation. there are more good games than i’d have time for if i were a millionaire. new games have to compete with old games, freeware, F2P…

• Jake says:

SI does seem a little overpriced when the Iron Helmet games are £6 for a month which gives you access to 3 games and lets 12 people play. I have no problem with a £10 single player game, but each player in my group would need to buy it and there is no group discount. Basically, I’ve been wanting to play it for ages but it is hard to persuade people to take a chance on a game like this when they would all have to buy it.

• FunkyBadger3 says:

I love when comentators – no-mark and otherwise – attempt to tell real live developers how the economics of game retail really works.

Luckily it happens about once every other week.

• MD says:

@CMaster:

That’s an important point, but I don’t think it goes against what I said — I agree that in a lot of cases the factors I mentioned are outweighed by others, but that doesn’t mean they’re non-existent. There are definitely some people who wait for the sales, but would be willing to pay full price if that was the only option.

And I still think it’s possible that in certain niche markets — perhaps ones in which there is little direct competition, and a small but dedicated audience with money to spend — the absolute number of sales might be relatively inflexible regardless of discounting (within a certain reasonable range, or course), so that the main effect of regular sales could be to sell the game to the same people at a lower average price.

It’d probably be an interesting question to look into, though: are gamers buying soon after, on or before the release date more than they used to, despite the trend of quicker, larger price cuts? (It does seem so, but I’d want some sort of statistics to make sure that the proportion of early sales is increasing, rather than just the absolute number thanks to the growth of the market.) And if so, why? Obviously there are some people, like Vinraith, who will willingly pay full price to support the developers, but I can only assume most people’s buying decisions are based more directly on self-interest.

• MD says:

@FunkyBadger3:

I cringe too when people are all “OBVIOUSLY developer x should be pricing his games in such-and-such a fashion, duh! What a chump.” But there’s nothing wrong with a bit of layman-discussion of economic topics, as long as we all remember that we’re not necessarily in a position to know better than the people who actually sell the things. It’s like when non-scientists discuss science — there’s nothing wrong with that, and it can be really interesting, but it’s best done with a healthy dose of humility and recognition of one’s own ignorance.

25. Ramm says:

Eh, those Bioshocks keep taunting me once again. 10€ total for the two of them ain’t bad, but I recently checked how many of the ~90 games in my Steam library I’ve played through – that number turned out to be 17.

Have to say though, if their price each time they were on sale for 5 ‘n’ 5 was, say, 3 ‘n’ 5 instead , I’d have bought them long ago (not that it would make that purchase any more wiser, considering the low likelihood of me playing through them in the next…forever).

• ShineyBlueShoes says:

So buy the second one for $5 and wait for the first one to be $3. ;)

• bill says:

If you won’t play them then there’s no reason to buy them. They’ll be the same price or less in the future when you can play them.

For example, from today’s bargain bucket, I bought Amnesia at a bargainous low price ages ago, and i haven’t had time to play it, and it’s now cheaper (regularly). Same has happened to half the games I have in my “to play” list.

• Juan Carlo says:

Bioshock is on sale for 5 dollars basically every steam sale. So if you don’t get it now there’s always thanksgiving and Christmas. Not to mention weekend deals and such. Along with Batman and Borderlands is one of the most consistently on sale games on steam. So there’s no reason to buy it now if you aren’t going to play it right away.

drewski says:

@ mjig – perhaps if Activision sell lots of back catalogue copies, there’s the ever so slight chance they might allow Obsidian or someone else to do another one. And at that price, you’ve got so little to lose.

27. h4mst4h says:

Seems like the last SavyGamer.co.uk link leads to spaz

28. buttpwner says:

sword of the stars 1 + all of it’s expansions are -75% ($5 usd) on steam for 7 more hours, it really kicks butt!

29. Mr Solis says:

I joined up just to ask a question.
    Is the title of this post a Pulp reference?