Ball-To-Brick: Wizorb

By Adam Smith on October 31st, 2011 at 3:31 pm.

It's worth going to the site to see the full version of this image - it's rather lovely

Having nothing to do with Wizball or Wizkid, the latter of which I remember as one of the truly surreal games of my formative years, Wizorb is an Arkanoid style game with NES-styled graphics and a basic JRPG backdrop. It’s been out on the indie segment of Xbox Live for a while, where I’ve played and enjoyed it, so I’m glad to see the PC release is happening sooner than I’d expected. November 7th to be precise, on Gamersgate. Paddle control should benefit from mouse control, although it could also make the game easier so hopefully there’ll be at least a basic tweak to ball speed. Trailer below, the graphics and music of which are either ‘charmingly retro’ or ‘a pungent throwback’.

I’m going to go with charmingly pungent. It’s not quite the Puzzle Quest of brick-breakers, with the RPG elements being mostly cosmetic, but bopping monsters with a ball is more fun than breaking bricks I say. It’s the Devil’s Crush of brick-breakers, how’s that? For me, having a quest and characters adds the carrot of a more meaningful structure to a genre which is usually lacking in that department. Some sort of tasty, tasty structural meta-carrot.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. siegarettes says:

I’ve been waiting for this so I don’t give two shits if they get it on Steam, or not, which I’m sure many people have asked them and they are trying to do.

I’ll probably buy it day one and if they do put it on Steam, well they just sold another copy.

2. PJMendes says:

Devil’s Crush is the best pinball game ever, and so are you for referencing it. The comparison seems well placed, and this Wizorb seems absolutely charming.

• Adam Smith says:

That’s the second time I’ve been called the best pinball game ever and it still feels as good as the first.

• johnpeat says:

Devil’s Fury (as Megadrive owners would know it) was awesome – it’s still quite playable, even.

Dragon’s Revenge wasn’t quite as good – Crue Ball was worth a peek :)

3. johnpeat says:

This is just fantastic – if Steam decline it, it would be to their eternal loss…

4. CMaster says:

Well, WizKid was vaugley breakouty in the action sections I guess – it involved bouncing blocks around to some extent.

5. PixelProspector says:

7th November for PC? Wohooo…. Finally! :)) In the meantime I highly recommend to check out the platformer Ninja Senki which is made by one of the developers behind Wizorb. (The game is totally free and pays massive tribute to the classic Mega Man series). Moreover he has also written this neat article called Delicious Block-Breaking Games which showcases good breakout games with fine pixel art.

6. ChainsawCharlie says:

Those controls never work.

7. 20thCB says:

Only gamersgate? Not desura/steam/greenman/getgames??

8. TheGameSquid says:

Huzzah! I was hoping this would arrive on PC soon.

9. Harkkum says:

If someone would re-make Wizball I could reminiscence the countless hours well-spent in my boyhood with painting all things grey with bright colours. Arkanoid is a bore-fest compared to flying a ball in grey scenery! What is wrong with all these indies not doing the right thing!

10. CosmicMind says:

I hope this game comes to the Nintendo 3DS and Apple App Store!

11. MadTinkerer says:

A random Metal Gear (the very first one) reference for no reason!?

They know their target audience all right. This game is going to be sweet. :)

12. sonofsanta says:

Man, Wizkid was awesome. Unfortunately you pretty much need to do everything exactly right in the right order to complete it, so you need a guide sitting by your side as you play it unless you want to spend 4 months going over and over and over it.

13. xomxomxom says:

Hi, Handbags(Coach lv fendi d&g) $38,Tshirts (Polo ,ed hardy,lacoste) $16……
    Accept credit card and paypal and westernunion,band wire.
    SAFE and FAST