My Word Is Power: The Critter Chronicles

By John Walker on October 31st, 2011 at 6:38 pm.

See, see! Games can still look this lovely!

Not nearly enough people took notice of my review last week and bought adventure The Book Of Unwritten Tales. I mean, I can’t prove that, but I’m assuming people didn’t. People tend not to do things that are good for them. But during it, I made a wish. I said I wanted them to make a game based on one of the characters, Critter. A strange, pink… thing, that babbles in nonsense and is ludicrously adorable. Well, it turns out they are.

Clearly German gamers picked up on the same character, because Adventure Gamers report that developers KING Art have been working on a Critter spin-off, The Critter Chronicles, for a while now, the game due (in Germany) this month, with an English version hopefully early next year! So yes, this was happening long before I wrote that I wanted it, but I’m not saying my extraordinary powers are restricted by your petty linear chronology.

The game will tell the story of how Nate (BOUT’s least appealing character, unfortunately) met Critter, after he crashed his airship into the creatures’ homeland. The game will also feature an animal rights activist called Petra (see what they did there?), and baddy Munkus. You’ll play as Nate for the first of the five chapters, and then take over Critter by the second, with the rest of the game having you swap between them.

There are tons more details over at AG, which read to me rather like giant spoiler stories, so be warned. And seriously, if you care about adventure games, get The Book Of Unwritten Tales. It’s a very splendid thing, capturing the magic that has been missing from full-length point-n-clickers for so many years.

Right, so I got my game. But where’s my cuddly Critter toy?

Oh, and have a (German) trailer:

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Chainsaw says:

I bought both games befor you wrote your first article, but since we are ignoring timelines here.
    Thanks so much for making me aware of them and convincing King Art to make The Critter Chronicles…
    And you should defenitally write them a serious letter about that toy, since clearly they ow it all to you anyway.

2. zacharai says:

I bought it based on your preview. I can already tell my adventure game skills have been lost to the box of X’s. I needed help in the prologue! I shame myself.

3. Masterofclay says:

Thanks for mentioning us again, John! We are definitely happy about each and every gamer who buys and plays The Book of Unwritten Tales.

About the Critter toy… we’re already considering it and will keep you updated. :)

4. sopabuena says:

Are these games comming to Steam?

5. Rich says:

Erotik!

6. Trillby says:

In the interest of letting you enjoy the video as much as I did, I will translate the text that appears. Let’s call it public service.

Love Hate Friendship Eroticism Danger Violence Action Drama Pain Elegance Sympathy Spitefulness Trust Dance Fight So much text! Is anyone even reading this? Hallo? Buy! The! Game! Very simple. This will never end! Stop! Well, ok. [That was easy]

The [that was easy] does not mean, I found the trranslation easy (although I did, obviously). I just meant the context of how the “Na, also” is meant to be interpreted.

To be honest, if I’d known it would be this complicated, I never would have done this in the first place.

7. Drake Sigar says:

*Pats head* I bought The Unwritten Tales because of your review. My comment was just gobbled up. :(

8. Subject 706 says:

Also bought the game based on the holy hivemind’s review.

9. Red_Avatar says:

I must say that I’m quite enjoying The Book of Unwritten Tales – so far I’m in the Gremlin’s house and the puzzles are maybe a bit on the easy side but their logic works well and is enjoyable to do. I love the characters, voices and music too which is a rare thing in modern adventure games. This really is one of the best adventure games I’ve played in years.

10. Khemm says:

GAME is getting on my nerves. BoUT is supposedly released in the UK already, yet they still have it labelled as “pre-order”. Gimme gimme.

phuzz says:

I thought that screenshot was Melee Island at first.
    (which is only a good thing)