Jump To Attention: InMomentum Out Now

By John Walker on November 1st, 2011 at 11:57 am.

Ooh, a person!

One of those games that really captured RPS’s attention during its development, InMomentum, is now out. It’s up on Steam for a very decent £5.59 – a price that includes all future DLC by the way. Project lead, Norbert Varga, explained to us, “We don’t sell DLC. That’s not how we roll.”

You can see the game’s launch trailer below.

Despite being out, there’s more to come. Soon Digital Arrow plan to add a level editor, dedicated server support, more options for graphics and key mapping, and they say more game modes. So that’s all good then.

We shall have a review of the game up in the near future. Gosh, we hope it’s as good as it had the potential to be.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. BAshment says:

Reminds me of the mirrors edge dlc in its design.

• AndrewC says:

Tee hee! When John said that in a previous article, all the Mirror’s Edge fans got stroppy about this not having the weight or physicality of that game. Me too!

It’s probably better to describe it as Quake 3 done as a racing game.

It looks good! people should buy it.

• Muzman says:

NNNNnnnnooooooooo!

OK, yes. But different sort of thing
      Hopefully they did a fine job themselves, but they need to get that level editor out a.s.a.p and have all those crazy Q3A stylists working on it as well. It’s a great idea to make FPS trick gaming be The Game rather than a niche meta-game. Could be the Trackmania of Tron-esque VR trippy running games (probably not a genre name that’ll catch on there)

(haha, too slow. Don’t walk away mid post)

• flexm says:

AndrewC: Other examples of quake 3 done as racing games would be defrag or warsow race, this looks very slow compared to those.
      Is there any details anywhere on how the movement/acceleration system works?

• Javier-de-Ass says:

and.. quake rally. lol.

• Bhazor says:

Yeah it’s definitely closer to the old Quake 3 stunt maps than anything like Mirror’s Edge.

But perhaps a bit slower than most games/mods of this type (again checkout high end Warsow players http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53RwaSPihi8). Which is fine but I expect a slew of speeding up mods will be coming out soon. Personally I’m hoping for “A make this into Mirror’s Edge” mod before long.

Still worth $5 for what it is though and there should be some interesting mods for it soon.

• Lobotomist says:

Ahh…Mirrors Edge

Where are thou …

• Vagrant says:

It’s a poor substitute, but I’ve had a blast finding ways to traverse & climb obstacles in Battlefield 3.

• Urthman says:

The internet has figured out how to make that cool Mirror’s Edge DLC work with the Steam version of the game.

• Vagrant says:

You, sir, are a hero. Or those guys are heroes and you need a medal or some such.

• HilariousCow says:

Quake 3 style movement in an unreal based game?

Wouldn’t want to be that coder, considering Quake 3′s movement code is a happy accident, and unreal’s out of the box movement code is a sad one.

2. merc-ai says:

This game’s biggest flaw so far is that it’s not Dilogus.

3. c-Row says:

That music reminds me a lot of Hybrid and their Cinematic/Scores library.

4. Littlepins says:

Made me think back to Skyroads c1993!

• blipmusic says:

Me too! Played it as “Kosmonaut” over here, though.

• Oozo says:

I call your reference to an obscure vintage game and raise it by 7 years: I’ve said it before, I’m saying it again – it looks and plays like Trailblazer with a Z-axis http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trailblazer_%28video_game%29

• blipmusic says:

Well, Kosmonaut/Skyroads wasn’t any more obscure than the concept of “playing games on a personal computer” was in itself at the time for me.

Also, I secretly want to own a Gizmondo (coming from the Trailblazer box pic on the wiki) as I have a thing for obscure portables (especially with a history like the Gizmondo’s).

• Wulf says:

Trailblazer was a home computer game from yonks ago that was very much like Skyroads except that it had a little ball rolling along instead of a little ship.

When I say home computers, I mean those little plastic ones with the rubber keyboards that you may be too young to remember, but were the gateway to gaming for perhaps a lot of the older gamers, here, since this is primarily a British gaming site. The Speccy had the best version of Trailblazer. Perhaps the only version, even.

Anyway, I had and have a great deal of love for both games, as you can probably guess. I played sooo much Skyroads back in the day. I had the shareware demo, and it was enough for me, and I just kept going back to it, over and over. Once I accidentally deleted it, and I was so sad about that, until I found it on another compilation coverdisc! After that, it remained on the drive of that computer until finally the computer was retired.

Is this Skyroads for the new era? Is it really? Though I’m disappointed by the main character, which I believe should be a ball or a little ship. Oh well, MODS. Someone will turn this into Skyroads. Probably. I think I’m going to buy this.

• jamesgecko says:

I don’t know. This didn’t look as fast as Skyroads, although it’s definitely a lot prettier.

My current favorite Skyroads clone is Tasty Static. The difficulty is only slightly higher than my recommendation. http://www.tastystatic.com/

5. Javier-de-Ass says:

doesn’t look like there is much of a feel of momentum to it.

wonder if they plan for the game to be available through other means than steam, anyone know?

• MichaelPalin says:

I’m with you on the not-Steam question, but after watching the trailer, I’m not even sure I’m interested…

6. RobF says:

Can’t say I was too impressed. No legs, no shadows, it’s the worst of FPS jumping made game.

It does look pretty though!

7. blipmusic says:

Kind of comes off looking like a sequel to Kosmonaut.

Which is awesome.

EDIT: Too late. Already mentioned as Skyroads. :D

8. ZIGS says:

This needs a demo

9. Vexing Vision says:

Nice levels, but the jumping/moving shown in the trailer kind of killed the interest fairly quickly.

I’ll keep hoping for Mirror’s Edge 2 for the next 15 years….

10. Shadowcat says:

I’m keeping track:
    * £5.59 is “very decent”
    * $5.99 is “very steep”

11. Vagrant says:

reply fail!

12. Skabooga says:

I appreciate this sort of attitude.

13. Synesthesia says:

looks lovely but oh god, those running animations need to be done right.

14. Wulf says:

I’m on the wall about this one, after watching the video again.

I’m very tempted to buy it, but the running animations are really horrible, I wouldn’t go so far as atrocious, but still really bad. It’s distracting. I may hold off on buying this until mods come along.

I just wish they hadn’t opted for a character like that. Skyroads has the answer. They could have made it a little drone thing, and then all worries about running animations would disappear. At least offer something else as an option. x_x

• garethcoker says:

@Wulf – we know about the animations : ) – this game is going to be supported very strongly post-release and all DLC / patches / updates will be free. I can’t say for sure what will come first, but I know the priorities will be to get the animations fixed, and to get a level-editor in there so people can make their own crazy maps.

The game is still a blast in 1st person though. I’m obviously biased because I worked on the project, but when I was first approached to work on it, I was sceptical. And then I play it, and it’s oddly captivating. Please keep any eye on it and if you don’t buy it now, I hope we can entice you into it later on,…. or when it’s included in an inevitable Steam sale ;)

In summary, we’re aware of the flaws, but there’s also a lot to like about this game too, and perhaps most importantly, it is fun!

• Muzman says:

Yeah those anims need to be superhumanly cool for third person to be any sort of focus (I mean they look superhuman, not that you need some unattainable ideal animator to make them a’course)
      But very much in favour of bipedal humanoids over levitating go-carts or whatever (it’s not Wipeout. Pshaaawh)

• MD says:

@garethcoker: any chance of a demo? This looks like it could be great fun, but I’m not going to take the risk without trying it first. Feel is everything.

15. misterT0AST says:

it reminds of those platform maps for UT2004. After dying a couple times I usually stopped and just stood there flaming those in front of me: “how can one spend time to get THAT GOOD at a platform mod for a FPS game?? That’s insane! Shame on you all!”
    I hated their sick walljumping skills, I hated their perfect timing, I hated their rocket jumping, I hated every single one of them who was better than me.
    And they didn’t even stop to insult me, they didn’t kick me, they didn’t say a word. No satisfaction to be had.
    Just burning jealousy and humiliation.

16. Burky says:

This game is great. It forgoes any preconceptions of realism and just guns the speed and fluidity of movement into something that feels incredibly sexy once you’re in the zone.

17. avarisclari says:

This reminds me of a game that was on Midway Arcade Treasures 3 for the PS2… Stun Runner, thats what it was called.

18. fleshgolem says:

First impressions:

Did not get, how the walljumping really works by playing the tutorial, but it becomes clear pretty fast after some minutes of actual playing. It feels really smooth and flows well. I like it a lot.

The levels are really really huge for a game like this. This makes trying to beat records somewhat tedious, since you lose so much time with even the tiniest mistake. Checkpoints being really far apart doesn’t help either. I feel that Time Trial might be the more interesting mode, since memorizing locations of all the spheres and optimal route planning just seems like too much of an effort.

The difficulty does not really seem to make a difference at first, but that changes quickly, once you get to the maps that require high climbs. Could not finish FlameTongue on “Gamer” and I have no idea how you are even supposed to do it on any harder setting

There don’t seem to be any multiplayer servers whatsoever, so I can’t comment on that

19. xomxomxom says:

Hi, Handbags(Coach lv fendi d&g) $38,Tshirts (Polo ,ed hardy,lacoste) $16……
    Accept credit card and paypal and westernunion,band wire.
    SAFE and FAST