Blue In Green (Hill Zone): Sonic Generations

By Adam Smith on November 2nd, 2011 at 10:42 am.

Sonic is the opposite of me, in that he has lost his beer belly with age and is a capable athlete

Do you want to see all the colours in the rainbow? I believe I have them here for you in this Sonic Generations launch trailer. Why not make a checklist and see if you can tick off every one of those colours and then list any more obscure hues that you can spot. It’s a game I like to call Sonic Colours, which makes it the unofficial PC port of the existing game Sonic Colours. Open Notepad and type them all in as fast as you can!

Sonic Generations, thankfully, has a fully-fledged port which is out November 4th on various downloadable services, Steam included.

The buzz is good and I’m sure excitement is usually dissipating this close to the release of one of the ageing hedgehog’s games, so hopefully this one lives up to expectations. That said, I hear Colours was quite good (Sega’s version, not mine).

I’ve never actually played a game with modern Sonic and I’ve never completed a game with classic Sonic. So now you know.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Baka says:

Colour me impressed.

2. Innovacious says:

I got the pre-order as a birthday gift. I have not actually played any sonic games since the mega drive though, flickies island was the very last one i played.

i can already tell the port is going to be bad when they say the pc version features “up to 1080p”, but i don’t think that really matters much, not to sonic. Its not like its a super complex, hyper-realistic game.

I hope i will get some enjoyment from the classic levels at the very least, i am sort of looking forward to it.

• Urthman says:

I remember trying the demo for the PC version of one of the 3D sonic games and it was — no joke — the absolute worst PC port I’ve ever played. (Well…maybe tied with Onimusha 3)

So I’m VERY skeptical about this. Sega are guilty until proven innocent.

3. Dominic White says:

Funny, I thought this was the unofficial PC port of Sonic Colors…

(Seriously, if you have a half-decent PC, you can play Colors on it)

But Generations looks pretty spiffy, too.

The Sombrero Kid says:

Apparently it’s brilliant – comes out tomorrow after work which is pretty thoughtful of them, skyrim comes out just as i start work, that’s just cruel!

5. ch4os1337 says:

Classic sonic is the only sonic.

• Hoaxfish says:

Indeed.

I don’t know who that “edgy” impostor is, but he can sod off.

6. sneetch says:

Sonic Generations? Is Sonic… his own father?

• sneetch says:

Damn, I mean I knew he was fast but that’s amazing!

• Magnetude says:

Sonic is what Philip J Fry looks like after a million iterations of time-loop inbreeding.

• zbeeblebrox says:

Well, you see…

many many years ago when he was 23
      He was married to a widow who was pretty as could be
      This widow had a grown up daughter who had hair of red
      His father fell in love with her & soon the two were wed
      This made Sonic’s dad his son-in-law & changed his very life
      His daughter was now his mother cause she was his father’s wife
      To complicate the matter, even though it brought him joy
      Sonic soon became the father of a bouncing baby boy
      His little baby then became a brother in law to dad
      And, so, became his uncle though it made him very sad
      For if he was Sonic’s uncle then that also made him brother
      Of the widow’s grown-up daughter who, of course was his step-mother

Sonic’s his own grandpa, Sonic’s his own grandpa.
      It sounds funny I know, but it really is so!
      Sonic’s his own grandpa.

7. Rao Dao Zao says:

I’m sure I’ve seen a physical box (PC-DVD) edition of this available (for pre-order) on Amazon.

Am I fever dreaming?

And what’s the DRM situation?

• The JG Man says:

There is. It’s not due out in the UK until, what looks like, Nov 25th. Cheapest prices I’ve seen are on Amazon and Play for £15.

DRM is that it’s a Steamworks title.

Saul says:

There’s really not a lot to distinguish them, is there? Surely one could wear a hat. Or have an evil goatee. Either way, I might just grab this.

9. Flint says:

Bound to be great, the demo certainly is immense fun and that doesn’t even have all the features in place. Getting it for the consolebox though as I’m not entirely sure about the port quality (and don’t have a pad for PC either). In my opinion Sonic’s 3D adventures have been mostly excellent so I’ve got no doubts that this wouldn’t follow suit.

Basically I’m just trying to say that I’m immensely excited and can’t wait for Friday.

• thegooseking says:

If by consolebox you mean Xbox 360, and you have a wireless pad, then I’d really recommend getting one of these puppies. Then you can share your pad between PC and Xbox 360. I picked one up for about £10 after putting it off for so long because I wasn’t sure if it would be a good purchase, but it was definitely worth it.

(That said, I do have two Xbox 360 controllers, so I tend to keep one linked to the PC and one linked to the toybox, which removes the hassle of constantly re-linking them. I don’t know how much of a hassle that would be.)

• Flint says:

Unfortunately I’ve got a PS3 rather than a 360 so easy pad solutions aren’t applicable.

• Magnetude says:

Bluetooth adapter maybe? I could never get mine working, but I’m sure it’s possible.

James G says:

I believe it is supposed to be possible, but when I tried the drivers BSODed my system, so I very quickly decided that it probably wasn’t worth the effort, especially as it appeared that I’d also need to re-pair my controller every time I took it between the PC and PS3. I use a wired 360 pad instead.

• Dominic White says:

@Flint – PS3 controller? Then you can use it either via bluetooth or even USB cable using this:

You can even make it emulate XInput so that games natively recognize it as a 360 controller.

• Burky says:

“Sonic’s 3D adventures have been mostly excellent”

*water spit*

wat

• Flint says:

Burky: you read correctly yeah. I started playing Sonic during the Mega Drive days but still find the 3D games great (not all, but most of the big name ones). I actually far prefer them to the 2D ones, which are fun and all for nostalgia but in terms of gameplay rather pale in comparison and fun for me these days.

• jamesgecko says:

Fint apparently never played Sonic Heroes (camera issues, bad level design), Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic 2006 (bad everything), or Sonic and the Black Knight.

Playing Sonic Adventure for the first time earlier this year, it hasn’t held up very well either. When you’re running around in a stage with enemies and environmental hazards, It’s pretty fun. But there’s a bit too many minigames and a bit too much running around in the hub world trying to figure out how to get to the next fun bit.

Unfortunately, that’s most of Sonic’s 3D games. It’s only since Unleashed (which had daytime stages that set up the new 3D Sonic formula) and Colors (which refined that formula) that we’re really starting to see good 3D sonic games on a consistent basis.

10. michal.lewtak says:

Oh RPS, you got me singing this in my head for the rest of the day now.

11. pilouuuu says:

Why have developers made all games brown this generation? This is how you do it! And teal is in here too! That’s my favourite colour! Seriously, colours make graphics all so much better.

12. atticus says:

The name Sonic makes me sick to my stomach.

Ever since a friend sent me a link to some freaky Sonic-fetish forum a few years back, I cannot help but look upon this blue hedgehog with utter disgust. “Read it, it’s hilarious” my friend said. It wasn’t hilarious at all, it was the sickest thing I have ever read.

Was going to search it up and drop a link, but couldn’t press enter after writing “sonic +fetish +vomit” in google.

yuck

• Dominic White says:

Man, you should never google ‘Rule 34′. Not unless you want to hate EVERYTHING. FOREVER.

• Magnetude says:

The vast quantity of Sonic rule 34 out there on the internet is a thing that will baffle historians centuries from now.

• Jarenth says:

It’s baffling plenty of people right now.

• InternetBatman says:

I don’t think it will. I remember in my Renaissance Art History class they mentioned that guards had to repeatedly chase away a man who was masturbating to statues. I’m afraid that attaching sex to objects and animals is just a human thing.

• JackShandy says:

Historians are totally unphased by crazy horrific sex. They have to be, have you seen those urns?

• atticus says:

@InternetBatman: Being sexually attracted to statues and fantasizing about a digital character might be two aspects of the same preference, but yet what we’re talking about here are miles and miles apart from each other.

Since getting access to the internets at the tender age of 14, I have since surfed the dark sides of the web hungrily for 15 years. Of all the crazy and messed up things I have seen, nothing comes close to the gruesomely graphic daydreams of one of the Sonic forumites. No pictures or illustrations, just text describing what one would want to do if this particular gamecharacter could be “interacted with” IRL.

And the rest is nightmares.

13. thegooseking says:

Despite the fact that I don’t understand why this game doesn’t have co-op (Seriously? If any game premise were ever suitable for co-op…), I’m more excited for this than I really should be. But I was also excited for Sonic 4…

• Cradok says:

Sonic 4 baffled me with how unlike the Megadrive games it played and felt. Going by the demo, this is much, much better, although it’s still not quite the same as old. Still, between that and the 3D section being playable and enjoyable in the demo, this’ll be the first Sonic I’ll own that isn’t on a cartridge.

14. MadTinkerer says:

My favorite Sonic game remains Sonic Adventure Battle 2 (the Gamecube port of SA2 on Dreamcast). This trailer looks like they’re borrowing a LOT from that one for the Modern Sonic levels. That is hopefully a good thing.

• jamesgecko says:

Sorry; City Escape and a boss fight are the only SA2 levels coming over.

15. Bhazor says:

It’s funny that the less input you get in these games the more people seem to like it. I think their next sonic game will just be flashing colours and 90s baditude quotes.

What Sega did to Smilebit (one of my favourite studios) means I can never get excited about their games again. How can they take them from this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yC3K8sMwWU and this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqKUu9QwR2o&feature=related and then buy them and force (with actual force I must assume) to make… Sonic and Mario at the Winter Olympics.

Seriously, a dozen Sonic reboots and no Jet Set love? Or at least a Panzer Dragoon HD set.

• Burky says:

oops reply fail

kavika says:

OMG Panzer Dragoon, I so want to play that now! I’d only heard of it before now, but little did I know how awesome it could be :) Thanks for the vid!

So *that’s* what happened to the Jet Set franchise. Stupid Sega…

16. Burky says:

Apparently only 1/3 of the content is remade from the Mega Drive series; the rest being from the Dreamcast titles (eh), Sonic Heroes (eurgh), Sonic 2006 (AAAAAAAARGH), that werehog Sonic (eurghaRGH?) and a level from Sonic Colours (didn’t that come out last year?)

I’ll be picking up that Sonic CD re-release, but pass on this.

• bill says:

Well, Sonic 2006 and the werehog sonic were both supposed to be pretty good IN PARTS. the problem was 2006 had some dumb design/control issues and the werehog one had a dumb werehog added.

For decades people have been saying that the sonic games would be much better if they stopped adding all the gimmicks and extraneous rubbish… so if this game truely takes the good parts from those games and mashes them all together, without all the bad parts… it might be pretty cool.

Wait, hang on, is the 2006 one the awful one or the “close but not quite” Secret Rings one?

• jamesgecko says:

Remade? The level themes, you mean. The level layouts themselves bear little resemblance to the original stages. And there’s throwbacks to the older games even in levels based on themes from the new games. For example, Seaside Hill from Heroes was a generic starting stage in the original game but is now a partial water level, much like Aquatic Ruin.

17. JackShandy says:

That was a really good trailer. I think I’m actually excited now. I don’t even care about sonic!

18. Synesthesia says:

hey that music is pretty good, where can i get it?