Lineage II Joins The F2P, Uh, Lineage

By Jim Rossignol on November 2nd, 2011 at 11:41 am.

It's just for the tourists.
NCSoft send word that the mighty Korean grinder Lineage II will be ending subs and allowing currency farmers (and maybe some players) to sign up for free! Good times. They explain: “Unique among MMO offerings in the west, Lineage II will be available to players completely free – there will be no restricted zones, no limited class selection and no gear stuck behind a pay wall.” (Is that really unique in the west?) There will even be new content for players to enjoy during their trip through Lineage II’s 99 (!) level structure. As for the how and the why of the cash payment system they say that players “will have the opportunity to buy supplemental in-game items and premium item packs from the L2 Store”.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Dana says:

DC Universe went f2p yesterday as well, which is much better choice for a casual (non grinder) gamer.

2. Njordsk says:

The true hardcore grinder mmo.

• Thany says:

cant argue with that

• DigitalSignalX says:

Agree, a game where getting a character level is actually something to be proud of, not just an hour of questing like in AION or any other modern MMO. Plus open PvP servers for the win. Epic sieges. Big ass dragons that need 500 people and a strategy to kill. Non-instanced dungeons. Crafting that takes time and patience, making high end items especially valuable. As much as I despise NCSOFT atm (long story), I still have fond memories of my years on Lionna, of being the very first person to get a Hawkeye’s second class change on the server and then being featured in the monthly newsletter. I still hold it as a standard few MMO’s have come near.

• DevilSShadoW says:

Couldn’t agree more.

This game took away 5 years of my teenage life. It was my crack cocaine. Some of the fondest memories in my gaming history are tucked away in those 5 wasted years.

Lineage 2 I salute you!

PS: I have been /clean/ for 2 years now! Yay for me?

3. FalseMyrmidon says:

The title should have been some kind of pun about grinding.

4. malkav11 says:

I’ve always been amazed they weren’t F2P to begin with. The design is very similar to many, many Korean/Asian MMOs already in that space (the traditional ones, at least).

5. groghog says:

This was my first MMO. It was terrible.

6. cmi says:

“…allowing currency farmers (and maybe some players)…”

nice one :D

7. Lobotomist says:

Dont forget that Fallen Earth also went F2P

And its closest to Fallout MMO possible, its also Sandbox and pretty much non grind.

Excellent choice for old school gamers :)

• codename_bloodfist says:

My entirely subjective two pence: FE is an interesting attempt at making a nice post apocalyptic MMO, but it’s boring as hell. The crafting system is amazing and the fact that they modelled their game based on a real-world area (Grand Canyon) is great, but when it comes to completing quests and combat it just feels incredibly tedious. Truly yours, on-launch purchaser.

*opinions away*

8. n3burgener says:

I was just reminiscing about Lineage 2 the other day. L2 was a great MMO that thrived on its player economy—the politics of clan-based servers where clans competed (or cooperated) for raid bosses, castles, heroes, and so forth.

Going F2P intrigues me and might give me enough incentive to back and see how things are going on Gustin or Phoenix or whatever it’s called now, but I literally do not have the vitality in me to play such a grindy MMO again. Those times are past.

9. Zarunil says: