Voxabundle Adds Isaac, Blocks That Matter

By Alec Meer on November 2nd, 2011 at 9:32 am.

The Discounting Of Isaac

The devious wee sods. It’s always like this: the Humble Bundle announces its latest pay-what-you-want indie deal, so we duly post about it because the people should know and all that. Then, a few days later, they go and add more games to the bundle, so it seems wise to also post about that. They’ve got us by the short and curlies. Joking aside, clan Bundle’s machinations are becoming perhaps over-obvious by this point, and I do hope there will be updated rather than ritual tactics in future.

For now though, let us celebrate that the Voxatron bundle has seen the excellently screwed-up The Binding Of Isaac and tight puzzler Blocks That Matter added to it.

If you’ve already waved a few wallet-moths in the direction of the Voxabundle, thus getting you access to an alpha version of Lexaloffle’s very pretty, agreeably intense, badly in need of a controls patch voxel-based shooter, you’ll find Isaac and Blocks waiting on your download page. If you’re yet to buy Voxabundle, you’ll need to beat the average price (currently $4.55) in order to nab the two extra games. Got that?

I’ll confess I am in two minds about Humble Bundles based around one game or developer; obviously I’m glad to see the money hose turned on as wide an assortment of courageous indie devs as possible, but I worry about leaning a little towards the Kickstarter ethos might slowly weaken the power of the Bundle name. There is magic in seeing a random collection of games grouped together in the major bundles, and I wouldn’t like that to become diluted. Still, doesn’t seem to be a problem for now.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Xercies says:

Actually I kind of like a more specific Publisher/Developer bundle then the random bundles they did have. What would happen with the other bundles is that it would have 3 games I haven’t played but 2 games I already got or even 3 games i already got and it made me a bit more reluctant on getting the bundle. If its a pub/dev that i haven’t got many games from I’m probably more likely to buy it.

• Gnoupi says:

I would say the opposite exactly, for me.

In a publisher/dev bundle, chances are that nothing is interesting for me, because I bought already all of them (Frozenbyte bundle, typically). In a random bundle, I will find most of the time at least something that I don’t already own.

In such case, I will adjust pricing and repartition to match what I actually buy, and I get something new.

• Maltose says:

You can just pay less, and even if it’s one of those “pay above the average price” things, you’ll still save a boatload of money most of the time. You can also choose how to distribute the money, so you don’t have to give any money to the people whose games you already own.

2. Commenter says:

Royale Bundle, Humble Bundle, Halloween Sale and a Winter Sale looming on the horizon?

My first world consumerist senses are overstretched!

• Deadly Habit says:

I’ll say! Between the Indie Royale Bundle, this one, the steam halloween sale, the gamersgate halloween sale, and the looming winter sales my wallet is looking pretty bare.

• nofing says:

Don’t forget about the upcoming Thanksgiving / Black Friday / Cyber Monday sales.

3. reticulate says:

On the other hand, the Frozenbyte bundle was (I think?) a single developer deal and that did rather well.

My only real worry is that the Humble Indie show has to hit a point of diminishing returns sometime. For all the great content out there, you can really only offer a finite amount before the games get a bit shit. And they’ve already done the whole now-bundled-with-previous-Humble-bundles thing, so it’s not like you can revisit old bundles and expect anything like the same sort of response.

All told, it’s still a bloody good concept, and kudos to the Humble guys for making it practically mandatory for me to buy them all.

4. cwoac says:

Typical. The day after I finally succumb to buying Isaac. I figured given the extra content drop, it clearly wasn’t gang to get added. Still, I don’t really mind. I’ve already got my monies worth out of it. Now someone else will also be getting my mines worth I suppose.

• Carra says:

Same here. Bought Isaac during the steam deals and guess what, it’s now in the bundle. Bah, they could at least wait half a year until they go in the bundle.

• terry says:

Guess what? You paid the price you were happy to pay. No-one made you buy it.

• TensaiBoy says:

also check around some forums and the comments here, it was actually pretty well known BoI and BtM would be added to this bundle *cough*

it’s not like you paid more than they deserve, they deserve all the money we have! i can never bring myself to pay less than double digits for these bundles even!
      just enjoy the games guys <3

• ScorpionWasp says:

It was already an injustice and an obscenity that The Binding of Isaac cost only 5 bucks, and now they let you set the price, pah! I’m particularly offended that it’s being added as some peripheral “bonus” to what’s named “The Voxatron Bundle”. I mean, c’mon! TBoI should have gotten the center stage hands down, no question about it here…

5. Mazin says:

Fantastic! my favorite bundle so far :D
    Voxatron’s trailer made me very interested and I thought TBoI’s demo was good. The other game has a great concept but when I played the demo I thought it’s lacking something important, still not bad.

6. The Ninja Foodstuff formerly known as ASBO says:

I take back what I said in the last post about this. This pack is looking pretty good now.

7. thegooseking says:

Can I say that Blocks That Matter is really good?

I didn’t like Voxatron, but I think I will. The idea is solid and I get that it’s in alpha state, but it’s really hurting for a better control scheme (twinstick gamepad support, or WASD for movement/cursor keys for aiming, or improving the mouse aim somehow — maybe a compass overlay showing the mouse position relative to the aiming directions).

I haven’t played Isaac, but I think that’s been talked about enough that I don’t need to add anything.

• Josh04 says:

You can shoot directionally with the numpad, the game just spectacularly fails to tell you so.

• Dominic White says:

Yeah, Voxatron DOES have WSAD + numpad for twinstick style shooting. You can bind this to a gamepad via Joy2Key, too.

Official support for that is coming in the next build, though.

• thegooseking says:

Oh, that is much better!

• Dominic White says:

The readme tells you this information. Nobody reads them, despite them telling you specifically to.

• m3metix says:

Hey! I read the ReadMe, so at least somebody looks at them.

8. Hulk Handsome says:

What’s wrong with the Voxatron control scheme? move with WASD and shoot with the keypad. Just like any other twin shooter.

I have problems with the game (it really needs multiple camera angles), but the control scheme isn’t one of them.

9. wu wei says:

They don’t mention it at all on the HumbleBundle site, so I was pleasantly surprised to find the two new additions also come with their soundtracks.

10. the_fanciest_of_pants says:

Bought.

11. MasterBoo says:

Doubt it will happen if Vic continues to develop in Adobe Director.

12. perfectheat says:

I bought it two days ago for $16. Do I get these two games for free now? Or do I have to buy the pack again? Thanks.

Edit: Never mind, should read the whole article instead of just looking at the humble page before I post. My bad!

13. Maltose says:

Reply fail :(

14. Temple says:

Cryptic Comet has done a 50% sale -should be on for a few days more.
    Think of it as a buy one get one. And get two.
    Finally made me purchase his games.

Had already bought this bundle, so might see about Isaac now.

15. Temple says:

*sigh* reply fail down there so:

Cryptic Comet has done is doing a 50% sale -should be on for a few days more.

16. wererogue says:

I don’t think they need to change their tactics. It might make it more interesting for you to write about, but I’m now completely conditioned to buy each bundle the moment they announce it, at the going Linux price, every time. And I haven’t been disappointed yet. I even bought the FZ bundle when it was just FZ, because even if I have these games already, I almost certainly don’t have an actual Linux build (despite the surprisingly strong wine compatibility from modern indies). And then I got spacechem for free :V

• Barnaby says:

Agreed. Simply the availability on all 3 OS’s, the lack of DRM, and the pay what you want pricing scheme are enough to make it an instant purchase even if I have all the games already. I think the FrozenByte bundle was the first I didn’t buy for myself, but even that one I bought for a friend.

I don’t see a reason why I would stop supporting them, or this payment model. I love it.

17. Zarunil says:

This is the best thing to happen to the Internet since yesterday!

18. MythArcana says:

I can’t remember the last time I woke up and ended up getting two bonus retail games just for being a nice guy. Voxatron has potential for sure and I had some fun messing around with it…but now I have two other productions to check out and I really wasn’t expecting that whatsoever.

• Armante says:

Same :) I’d bought Voxatron over the average yesterday, and bingo – two new games in my inbox. Gotta love that :) Have to admit however, I’m completely crap at Blocks That Matter. Stuck on only the second level. Must be because it’s nearly midnight or something..

19. Forceflow says:

Very awesome stuff. It’s just filling up my steam “to play… Eventually” category

20. Swanny says:

Just purchased Binding of Isaac, during the Steam sale.
    Am buying again, great game.
    Fucking wrong, though, especially the ‘wooden spoon’ power up.

21. pertusaria says:

Binding of Isaac finally convinced me (several days after it was added) to get this bundle, which I’d avoided till then. I think I’ve previously been put off Isaac by the gore, but I wanted to play and support something really strange. So far (longest survival about Dungeon Level 3) I like the arcade-y simplicity of it, and the random power-ups.