GTA V About “Pursuit Of The Almighty Dollar”

By Jim Rossignol on November 3rd, 2011 at 2:46 pm.

That's your jumper, that is.
As the internet boils over into an Ouroboros of speculation over the GTAV trailer, the full statement from Rockstar is brief and to the point:

Developed by series creator Rockstar North, Grand Theft Auto V heads to the city of Los Santos and surrounding hills, countryside and beaches in the largest and most ambitious game Rockstar has yet created. A bold new direction in open-world freedom, storytelling, mission-based gameplay and online multiplayer, Grand Theft Auto V focuses on the pursuit of the almighty dollar in a re-imagined, present day Southern California.

Other important notes: 1) We will now be calling this game “Gee Tav”. 2) PCG’s explanation of the multiple protagonists theory seems solid to me.

, , .

1. V. Profane says:

I can’t believe people thought that was Ray Liotta in the trailer. Must have been a long time since they played Vice City or saw Goodfellas.

• dontnormally says:

I can’t believe no one on the internet has yet pointed out that there are BLIMPS.

Or dirigibles. Or zeppelins. You know.

• Shizzlick says:

I thought it sounded like Frank West (ACTION REPORTER) myself.

• Donjo says:

Don’t worry dontnormally, RPS casuals have been salivating over the hoped for appearance of flyable blimps or dirigibles. Or zeppelins.

• qinsanshiyi says:

Welcome to:
      Yes, I have been deeply in love with it, I believe you too!

2. Buemba says:

Isn’t that what every GTA is about? Sure there is usually a revenge subplot tucked in somewhere, but the vast majority of missions your character take have no greater purpose than to make some money.

• sneetch says:

I was just thinking that…

Still I’m interested in seeing this “bold new direction in open-world freedom, storytelling, mission-based gameplay and online multiplayer” because I’d assumed it’d be pretty much just GTA IV in a different locale.

• anduin1 says:

looks like the same wonky engine from gta 4 too, there goes any chance of a decent PC port

• dontnormally says:

GTA is about BLIMPS.
      It’s the new thing.

• Turkey says:

Well, I guess video games aren’t really the best place to tell the best type of crime story. The ones where nothing goes according to plan and it just gets worse and worse and worse until the main character dies.

bear912 says:

I prefer Git Awv, as in “GITAWV MY LAWN!”

• Shubb9 says:

Given the age of the main person in the trailer I look forward to unlocking my lawn dlc and having a mini game where kids are kept off it

4. kwyjibo says:

Wouldn’t be surprised with multiple protagonists, it worked in GTA IV, and there’s no way they’re going to let you play as an old guy with a big house through the entire game.

“the largest and most ambitious game Rockstar has yet created”

Awesome.

• sneetch says:

Awesome indeed, I hope the actual game lives up to the press release.

5. Njordsk says:

catwoman confirmed then?

Damn, wrong game

6. menderslan says:

“A bold new direction in … storytelling,” right, so we’re still going with the “bad-ass” male protagonist who steals cars and kills people in order to make money and likely get some sort of revenge. That direction is so bold and new I simply don’t know what to do with myself.

• henben says:

Imagine if the story didn’t involve stealing cars and killing people in some way. How would it fit into the game? Perhaps you could play the owner of a struggling blintz café, and you have to turn the business around and ultimately grow it into a successful regional franchise. In between story missions, you can steal cars and murder people if you want, but the story would just be about driving to pick up flour samples and meet investors. That sounds great!

• menderslan says:

Then they shouldn’t say they’re going in some bold new direction with this game if they’re just going to stick to their usual formula.

Hodge says:

I want to play henben’s game.

• henben says:

They may have come up with a bold new direction in storytelling *technique* or *style*, while still telling a story about cars and guns.

• henben says:

Hodge – you can get a pizza delivery job in one of the older games (San Andreas?) where you drive a moped. You could just play that and ignore all the silly cars and guns.

• BarneyL says:

These men don’t just steal cars and kill people in order to make money and likely get some sort of revenge and brag about it though. They go home and agonise about it afterwards.
      They also probably sit around in their penthouse suite with half a million dollars and a rocket launcher in their pocket complaining about how poor they are and blaming all their troubles on their brother.

• Donjo says:

The Al-ighty -ollar?

Oh, I get it!

7. Prime says:

In other news, GTA V will be about the lethal power of ballistic weapons and the thrill of stealing and driving motor vehicles.

“A bold new direction in open-world freedom, storytelling, mission-based gameplay and online multiplayer, Grand Theft Auto V focuses on the pursuit of the almighty dollar…”

If they continue the trend towards ‘realism’ in their worlds, as evidenced by the friends and relationships you could build in GTA IV, then surely this means they’ll now let you and some friends work together behind the counter in a Clucking Bell restaurant? 12 hour shifts ahoy!

• Muzman says:

As Dara O’Breien put it
      “I’m at home in moy pants on me day off and I’m stook in traffic! What kind off eejit am I?”

8. MiniMatt says:

I always feel a little disappointed in any piece of writing that doesn’t see me turning to the dictionary at least once. Thanks to “Ouroboros” I have now learnt my “thing for today” and can therefore quite happily slack off for the remaining hours.

• kwyjibo says:

Here is my personalised cultural recommendation of the day – Watch Red Dwarf.

• MiniMatt says:

Oh that’s a given; with the double fried egg, cheese and chilli chutney sandwich Red Dwarf expanded my culinary horizons as much as the linquistic ones :o)

edit: and too late I realise I missed the “Our Rob” reference…

• Rii says:

Whereas I learnt what (an?) Ouroboros was yesterday and in the short time since have encountered it no less than three times on the internets. This pattern of discovery followed by a seemingly unlikely plethora of encounters is common enough that I suspect that there is a kind of mental blind spot at work whereby words/terms that I don’t understand simply don’t register in my consciousness in contexts where their meaning seems unimportant. A kind of mid-level heuristic thing.

jezcentral says:

Didn’t know “Ouroboros”? Clearly a man who didn’t get far in Frozen Synapse’s SP.

That’s tantamount to mutiny in HMS RPS. :)

9. DickSocrates says:

The thing Rockstar does best, even better than their atmospheric cities, is hype. Hype -> City -> Dialogue —> Gameplay —————–> Plot ——————————————–> Mission structure.

The statement managed to claim what every GTA has been about as being new, like Apple’s regular press conferences where they claim to have invented something every other device could do for about 3 years. But then, marketing is part of the whole ‘game’.

I hope they really do take the next leap in terms of gameplay, because GTAIV was basically GTAIII with less horrendous controls. It was the same plodding to a glowing marker, watching a cutscene involving some racial/sexual stereotype say bitch in an amusing manner and then – for no reason – being asked to drive the length of the entire map just to have a generic shootout, where you probably die about 3 times because the cover mechanics don’t work properly, the transitions between animations are so stiff and clunky you can’t run away properly, or an AI partner dies either through suicide or getting shot (why the AI partner could take any kind of damage at all is a mystery).

Something less rigidly ‘touch this to trigger a cutscene’ would help. I wonder if there’ll be another list of cars to steal which I never look at?

c-Row says:

Less horrendous? The cars in GTAIV pretty much handled like an old Roman swamp pig covered in tar. I will take GTAIII’s arcade controls over that every day, thank you very much.

• henben says:

Yeah, stupid marketing! Every phone was just like the iPhone 3 years before the iPhone came out, it’s just that nobody noticed because of marketing. And GTA III and GTA IV were the same too except for the controls. I’m glad you’ve noticed this. I don’t know how they keep fooling everyone else. WAKE UP SHEEPLE.

• Bremze says:

The vehicle physics where the most fun thing about Gta 4 and made getaways tense and challenging.

AND there was next to nothing revolutionary about the iPhone, Apple took the best parts about Maemo and Blackberry OS while getting rid of the bloat and adding a really well done UI and touch interface. The response to it was the only thing revolutionary, because it showed, that lots of people will gladly pay more for better featured phones.

• V. Profane says:

I’m baffled by people who moan about the car physics in GTAIV. I think they’re better than a lot of actual racing games I’ve played and WAAAAYYY better than all the previous GTAs.

• Prime says:

I’m baffled that anyone enjoyed the car handling physics in GTA IV – all the previous games in the series had them just right.

10. Rii says:

There is something very wrong with that man’s right arm.

11. Vexing Vision says:

I would like to have a “staring crotch”-tag, please.

Thank you.

12. Shooop says:

Unless they’ve learned some things from Deus Ex about making the missions themselves sandboxes I’m not bothering with any GTA game. The novelty completely wore off a few hours into Vice City, being forced to drive explosive toy helicopters into a building instead of just sneaking in and doing it myself.

• Magnetude says:

Yep, this. Was pretty offended by how stupid GTA4 thought I was sometimes. I’m fine with being told to kill a man I’ve never met for money, but at least give me some freedom in how. Some of them were pretty smart – that one where you see the guy’s phone number through his window and can call it lure him out, or shoot his satellite dish to make him stop watching telly and come into view was a highlight. But then there were a dozen more that made you spend several minutes climbing up to an arbitrary vantage point before you start a firefight that descends into total bedlam within seconds anyway, just for the sake of some plot-important banter.

I want to be told some key details about the man I’m meant to kill/kidnap/de-automobile and work it out on my own. I want to stalk him from work to mistress to home, making notes about his likes, dislikes and coffee preferences. I want to swoop in the middle of the night, hijack the taxi he takes to yoga class and send it speeding off a bridge, on fire. I want to be the goddamn psycho Batman.

• henben says:

Yeah, the strength of GTA has always been the sandbox and the world more than the actual missions.

I think they’ve been edging towards making them less scripted – the chase sequences in GTA IV proper were very on-rails – the enemy car would hit the same scaffolding in the same way with the same results every time, and I’m pretty sure it was invulnerable until it was time for you to catch it, but in the DLC the chases were much less rigidly structured.

Some of the missions can be gamed, but it would be great to see more missions that gave you some tools and objective and let you get on with it.

• anduin1 says:

yea the GTA 4 chases were a mockery of the game’s past. In past games you could be cheesy and block the escape route with a car allowing you to gun someone down before they could get away. GTA 4 you try the same thing and the escapee’s car basically turns into a 100 ton demolishing machine, blowing the obstacle into the air. So glad the DLC was less of that and hopefully they learned enough to make this right.

13. Rii says:

Well at least they’re being up-front about it…

14. StingingVelvet says:

So much coverage on this here at RPS and at PCG and yet if we’re honest with ourselves there is no guarantee at all that this will come to PC.

• ulix says:

It is very likely though, since ALL othe GTAs came to PC eventually.

Sure you could now come up with Rockstar games that didn’t like RDR.

Revolver wasn’t on PC either, so that’s that.
      The Warriors wasn’t on PC, Smuggler’s Run wasn’t.
      Midnight Club 3 & LA wasn’t.
      Table Tennis wasn’t.

They all came before GTA IV, which was ported.

15. Brahms says:

Sorry but since yesterday I’ve constructed an entirely separate universe in my mind, identical to this one except GTA V is set in 18th century Belgium.

16. Tams80 says:

I do hope San San Fierro and Las Venturas count as “surrounding hills, countryside and beaches”.

17. Beelzebud says:

We know why they’re making it, but what is the game about? ;)

• Dances to Podcasts says:

We still don’t know, do we? This announcement, several posts and many comments worth, didn’t announce very much at all…

18. zhchqq says:

top the game top the items for gamethat there can help everybody play the game so easy,I

19. kupocake says:

“The Al-ighty -ollar?”

Oh, I get it!

• Donjo says:

Ah shit, I just put that on the other page. Almost exactly the same spacing between sentences. Looks like we copied and pasted from the same source too. Cripes, why didn’t I just try to think of something interesting to say?

20. Machado117 says:

So no San Andreas then.

21. Amun says:

I didn’t buy GTA 4 because of GFWL… I hope I can buy GTA 5, since I liked Los Santos better than Liberty City anyway… =/

jrodman says:

Can’t we get some hotter thugs in here?

23. 2013 says:

I have an idea about a new mechanic that might be in GTA V, and, if it isn’t, it should be. Their mention of a bold new direction and the pursuit of the almighty dollar give me hope that I’m right.

I think there will be a new property mechanic. EVERY property will be for sale, but not as safehouses. They’ll be for investment. The player will be able to lower the prices, by setting off gang wars, committing a spate of burglaries, a killing spree or fire bombing and so on. These property side-missions will be varied or even randomised.

Like in other GTAs, the player will be taught how to do this in the main story, but will be free to do this independently, at least once he’s got enough cash.

Once he’s bought the properties, how will he raise the prices? Persuade the gangs to move along, perhaps in exchange for some criminal favours. Or he could infiltrate the police, and lower the crime rate officially, by cracking heads while in uniform. Or he could even invest in the area legitimately – golf anyone?

What do you reckon?

24. phylum sinter says:

Is there a reason your link under the word “present” goes to an online pharmacy, jim?

Was that intentional or some kind of joke that is beyond my middling wit?