Hard Reset Unleashes Bonus Robotic Hell

By Jim Rossignol on November 3rd, 2011 at 7:57 am.

I'm just looking for the 7-11!
Pretty-lookin’ cyberpunk robo-blaster Hard Reset – which John was amused but disappointed by – has received a big old patch, 1.2, which adds a Survival mode which “unleashes wave after wave of robotic hell upon the player, who has make good use of weapon upgrades to delay the inevitable as long as possible.” The mode is based in two new maps, and has a leaderboard setup so that Hard Reset adherents can fight their way to an obscure kind of fame with their survival skills.

The patch also “adds full NVIDIA 3D Vision and Surround support, as well as support for multiple displays.” So that’s fancy. The patch should automagic via Steam.

, .

1. Oooch says:

Shame the game was ruined by a lame check pointing system.

• magnus says:

So very true and why I don’t disagree with the review anymore.

• sabrage says:

Didn’t they patch that? I’m pretty sure they patched that

• Casimir Effect says:

I’ve heard it’s a simple matter to open the console and bind a key (eg. F5) to save and another to load, allowing you to quicksave and load at will.

I remember Escape From Butcher Bay had this workaround too, as did various other old, checkpoint-only games.

The only downside is you need to do this every time you play the game. The alternative is if you have a keyboard with Macro buttons, which allows you to create a macro to open the console, save/load, close the console at the press of a button. As this is defined outwith the game you’d never need to redo it.

2. Raiyan 1.0 says:

I’m curious, how well did it sell? There were bits that could have been improved, but I thought it was altogether a decent package.

3. arrjayjee says:

I liked the demo, but didn’t think it was worth the asking price given it’s short length. I will definitely pick it up for $15 or $10 though.

• nofing says:

It was $15 on D2D around Halloween and I think the same price on GMG. Will probably get a similar sale on GG and Steam soon. Maybe even a better one during the end-of-year sale.

4. Kaira- says:

Shame that apparently the game has DRM despite claims of a dev, at least Gamer’s Gate states on DRM “requires 3rd party account and download”. Might still pick this up once it gets cheap enough, but I’m very disappointed by their (him only?) lying.

• Kinch says:

That’s because it’s a Steamworks title. The ‘third party account and download’ is Steam.

• nofing says:

requires 3rd party account and download = Steam
      Edit: too slow

• Rao Dao Zao says:

I was also disappointed by this DRM situation being contrary to the “no DRM” ethos they claimed to be championing. A day 1 purchase quickly turned into a “uh… maybe not” (lukewarm reviews didn’t help either, mind you).

• Kaira- says:

Well obviously it’s a Steamworks-title since it requires Steam. I’m just disappointed by the fact that they claimed the game would have no DRM.

• Avish says:

They probably part of the group which claims that Steam DRM.

(They will be here in a few minutes ;))

• Unaco says:

Steam is DRM. Good DRM. But DRM nonetheless.

• somini says:

Just because it’s on Steam doesn’t mean it has DRM. The last example was when I forgot to set up Offline Mode and got kicked out for the weekend. I went to the steamapps folder, and clicked on the Rock of Ages exe and it worked, but without achievements,etc. So tecnically RoA is on Steam, it has Steamworks(?) but has no DRM whatsoever(I haven’t tried to copy it to another computer, but I guess it works). Another one that works like this (but not from the main exe) is Alpha Protocol.
      Try to launch it directly for the exe to see if it really needs Steam. Most indies (forget to set it up?) don’t need Steam, even being Steamworks games.

Christian says:

It’s great that they continue to support this and keep adding features. For free.
    I could imagine other studios charging money for this and selling it as DLC for maybe 5,-.

So hooray them. Still glad I pre-ordered it, fun little game, great visuals.

Maybe they should do a good Bladerunner-game with that engine next?

6. coldvvvave says:

Blue Tits: You will not regret your choice.

• dontnormally says:

Nice marketing slogan you’ve got there.
      I’ll take two!

• magnus says:

Blue Tits: Buy A Jumper, Green Bollocks: See Your Doctor.

7. bill says:

The world they made for this looks great.
    But none of the videos of the actual combat or enemies or story looked interesting at all.
    (and that’s not because I don’t want an old-school shooter).

jezcentral says:

This game is crying out for a sequel. Even if they patch the checkpoint system, they still have a game that spends too much time in small spaces. It’s all very well getting waves of enemies, and running backwards whilst shooting, but you (well, I do anyway) keep catching on bits of environment, and getting overrun.

Unbelievably beautiful game, though. They mucked up massively with the price, which was far too much, and seemed to stop sales momentum in its tracks, when the lukewarm reviews hit. (Note to the publishers: Read Gabe Newell on price anchoring. You’re supposed to make people think it will be expensive, and then sell it cheap, not the other way around.)

LTK says:

Is it just me or does the Hard Reset screenshot on the RPS main page stand out like a photograph among pixel art?

• squareking says:

Apparently your photographable world is at least 60% glowier than mine.

10. Paul says:

I am playing now. It is a great shooter. Checkpoints were patched right after release, so John spent his review complaining about something that got fixed immediately. Gotta love these prerelease reviews :/

11. vodkarn says:

It is a huge tragedy this is not a co-op game – I’d never stop playing it if it was.