Will Wright Is A “BAFTA Guru”

By Jim Rossignol on November 4th, 2011 at 1:24 pm.

Be inspired, or else.
The British Academy of Film and Television Arts doesn’t just hand out awards these days, it’s also about trying to inspire people to be excellent in the first place. (It is very much the austere British charity version of Bill & Ted’s philosophy.) To help do this they’ve created BAFTA Guru, which gets successful arts types to talk about their work. Most recently the focus on videogames has been turned up, and BAFTA now send word that their games-focused mini-site now hosts videos from Will Wright, David Braben, Peter Molyneux, and others, all talking about things that interest and inspire them in their work. BAFTA says all this is set to expand, and report that “in the New Year users will be able to upload their own content to the site to discuss with others.”

To celebrate this BAFTA have released a (very) brief clip of Will Wright talking about videogame addiction, which you can see below.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. DickSocrates says:

Where’s SimCity 5, Will? I’m not female or 6 so The Sims doesn’t appeal to me.

• nootron says:

Im still holding out for SimGastrointestinalSystem

• wiper says:

It’s true, only children and women *spits* like The Sims. God knows I wouldn’t want to be like them.

(in fairness, I’m not much a fan of the Sims either, but I doubt that it’s got much to do with my gender. Or age)

• Belsameth says:

I’m a 35 year old straight male with long hair an tattoo’s
      I also love playing the sims.

Silly generalisations.

• DickSocrates says:

I have short hair and don’t like The Sims. Perhaps there is a link with hair length?

The Sims is very popular with women. I know this because I once met one and saw that she had a shelf full of the expansions. That’s first hand evidence, that is. She had long hair. I do not know about the tattoos, it was dark and I had to leave quickly.

I was playing The Sims once and showing my friend: ‘you can go here and then do this and make them sit or take a shower and…’ and he said to me, ‘Why?’ and I had no answer and never played it again.

• jokomul says:

I’m a guy and I don’t enjoy the Sims at all. Then again, I also despise Second Life. Maybe it’s just that I prefer taking control of my own life rather than smaller, virtual versions of myself and the people around me…

2. thegooseking says:

He’s talking about a personal bugbear of mine: the idea that games are perceived as ‘antisocial’ because they engage the players to the exclusion of their surroundings, when the very thought of interrupting someone who was engaged to a similar degree in some other activity would be considered antisocial in itself. As if gaming is less legitimate.

But he’s not really talking about addiction, is he?

3. Inigo says:

Will Wright, David Braben, Peter Molyneux

Because they’ve done such a lot, lately.

• MCM says:

Exactly. Wright and Molyneux especially have churned out garbage for the past 20 years, yet people still worship them as if Populous and SimCity came out last month. It boggles the mind. These guys are the ultimate has-beens. We should not be listening to them for guidance on gaming.

• DigitalSignalX says:

It’s kinda the famous for being famous self propagating career model. Why make games and risk criticism when you can bank it away in truck loads just charging for speaking engagements.

• LoveIsGood says:

Wright’s Spore seems like it was more or less a victim of the cutting room floor. It was a heavily ambitious project which was rushed in the middle of its evolution. You can kind of see how they tried to simplify it and never had enough time to return to the refinement stage of adding back in the depth and connections of each component.

4. qwiggalo says:

Apparently they only recognize casual game developers.

5. DrGonzo says:

Shouldn’t these awards be going to new people, those we’ve never heard of. You would think millions of pounds would be enough, do they really deserve more than that?

6. xomxomxom says:

Hi, Handbags(Coach lv fendi d&g) $38,Tshirts (Polo ,ed hardy,lacoste) $16……
    Accept credit card and paypal and westernunion,band wire.
    SAFE and FAST