The RPS Bargain Bucket: Ultra Functionality

By Lewie Procter on November 5th, 2011 at 1:06 pm.

Saturday’s are for spending slightly less on digitally distributed electronic games than what they might normally cost. To that end, here’s my roundup of this weekends best offers, with something for everyone. Especially you. If this lot is just not enough for your appetite for gaming discounts, SavyGamer.co.uk is a web site with cheap games listed on it all the time, you should totally check it out when you get a chance. Here’s this week’s bucket:

Sanctum – £3.49/€4.99/$4.99
Or get a 4-Pack for £2.62/€3.75/$3.75 each.
Brilliant first person tower defence thing, with big numbers that flash up when you shoot the baddies. What more could you want? Here’s that wot that Quinns fella thought:

When I first started playing Sanctum I had tower defense fatigue, and saw this game as masterfully assembled fluff. Yes, having to assemble your defenses out of cubes from a first person perspective felt satisfying in the manner of Minecraft. Yes, the enemies looked great, the levels looked even better and the SFX and music were just as impressive.

As for the ability to stand beside your turrets and shoot the waves of enemies as they came in, that felt like a neat twist. The guns – while lightweight in their impact – had the feel of precise tools, and it was fun to pour fire down on enemies from atop your cuboid walls.

Right on. Shooting baddies from on high is fun. This is having a free weekend right now, so you can even try before you buy.

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover – £8.75/$12.49
Registers on Steam.
Terrifying game about climbing into the belly of a steel monster, then fiddling with its mechanical guts until it takes flight. As it soars through the air, you have to guide its flight by playing with its joystick. Don’t crash, because if you crash, you’ll die. Yes.

Various Tropico games for the cheaps.
Head over to either Steam or GamersGate for their various offers as part of a big Tropico promotion. Which place is the cheapest to buy from depends on where you live, and exactly which games you are after. For UK folk only, ShopTo have also got Tropico 3 on its lonesome for just £2.84. The download prices for Tropico 4 aren’t great (at least compared to UK retail: The Special Edition was ~£18 at release), but all the earlier ones are very nicely reduced. RPS thoughts on Tropico 3 here and 4 here.

Men of War: Red Tide – Free
Jim’s got you covered here:

Men Of War is beginning to look like my game of the year. Nothing else has kept me coming back, nor experiencing that nagging “brain-still-quietly-working-on-it” feeling you get from the finest gaming obsessions. The messy ultra-functionality of a game that models environmental destruction so meticulously, and throws out missions like handmade cryptic death-puzzles, is somehow an inevitable subject of admiration for the Rossignol brain. Defeating the enemy with a stolen howitzer is my kind of emergent entertainment. Not that this expandalone really changes that sentiment one way or another, because many of the faults of the original repeated here, and much of the new content isn’t worth getting excited about, as I’ll explain in a moment.

He then goes on to explain why much of the new content isn’t worth getting excited about, but for free I think you’ll find a way to be forgiving of its shortcomings.

Deal of the week
Voxatron, The Binding of Isaac, Blocks That Matter – Cheap!
How cheap you ask? Well if you want all three, the current minimum asking price is £3.09/€3.59/$4.95, but if you just want Voxatron, any price will do. The Binding of Isaac has had hold over me completely and utterly for the past few weeks. I’d love to talk about all the amazing secret things hidden in it, but a good portion of the fun is in discovering them all for yourself. There’s something beautiful about a game where one of the strongest attacks is pissing blood. Voxatron is an interesting work in progress and I’ve not yet dived into Blocks That Matter properly yet, but it seems interesting too.

Also of note:
Shattered Horizon – £3.49/€4.99/$4.99, or a 4-Pack for £2.81/€3.74/$3.74 each.
Your Doodles are Bugged! – £2.38/€2.72/$3.40
Geneforge Saga – £13.59/€15.99/$15.99

For more cheap games (and help with your Christmas shopping!) get over to SavyGamer.co.uk.

1. Demiath says:

In terms of what you get for your money now compared to pre-discount conditions, the quite unexpected Steam premiere of the Geneforge 1-5 bundle is absolutely mind-blowing. Some would no doubt argue that Spiderweb Software’s games were over-priced before (but those people either have no heart or no understanding of what a realistic niche business model looks like for indie devs who need to put food on their table and get their kids through school), but given the sheer amount of high quality RPG gameplay included in even a single one of these titles it’s a pretty amazing deal nonetheless.

oceanclub says:

I hope that Jeff Vogel writes about his experience of using Steam, and what kind of returns he gets. I suspect he will do well; there must be people like me who would never have bought a game of his at full price who are quite willing, as I did, to buy Avadon simply because we like the idea of a Jeff Vogel out there, doing what he does! (I’ve played a bit of Avadon, enjoyed it, but got sucked away to other games.

P.

• Urthman says:

It would be fascinating to discover if he has been right about that all these years, but comparing a cheap game supported by everything Steam has to offer with and indie dude selling the more expensive version straight from his website is probably too different to make a fair comparison.

But the appearance of the Genforge series certainly implies that he made some good money from Avadon, which is great news. I don’t have the time to dig into one of his games right now, but I sure loved Exile 3 all those years ago (15?!) and am very happy he’s still going strong.

• malkav11 says:

No word on his Steam returns specifically, but he does have a recent blog entry about the recent changes to his pricing philosophy.

• Vinraith says:

I hope it works for him, because once you’ve lowered prices to that extent you can’t go back. My guess is that after an initial surge of interest he’s going to find that, long term, selling hardcore niche RPG’s at Steam prices isn’t going to be profitable (anyone that actually plays them is getting something like 500 hours of entertainment for $15, after all). At that point he either goes out of business or starts making more mainstream, shorter, simpler fare. Either way we lose one of the few hardcore RPG devs still out there.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

Well, that’s what Avadon is. He’s talked on his blog about wanting to make games that appeal to lots of people, how Dragon Age was a big inspiration, and about how “normal” difficulty should be pretty easy. That’s the path he’s chosen, and I expect the new Avernum remakes will be a lot like Avadon.

Honestly, I’m happy that there are successful indie (non-action) RPG developers out there, even if what they’re currently making isn’t quite my cup of tea. There will always be an appetite for more complex games, and to some extent I think games like Avadon fuel that desire.

• Vinraith says:

@Till

Well, there you are then.

• Demiath says:

Not entirely sure about this, since it would require all of his customers to be tech-savvy, Steam-using, obsessively price-comparing RPS readers always on the lookout for a better deal on some other game somewhere else…which I actually don’t think is the case (indeed, a visit to the Spiderweb forum can be both highly informative and quite surprising in this regard).

My hunches aside, there’s no question that a long-ish RPG must always be allowed to cost more than, say, 5 € (at launch) to make economic sense for anyone; let alone an indie developer. And that’s why it’s important to note that even on Steam the individual Geneforge titles cost around 20 € each (i.e. exactly the same price as the bundle) and are thus not being recklessly sold for mere pocket change. That weird unit/bundle parity (which is strikingly rigid even by Steam standards) suggests that Vogel has significantly adapted rather than completely abandoned his long-established pricing model.

• malkav11 says:

Avadon is still, in my book, much closer to what I want the RPG genre to be than anything being released by the major publishers. Actually, while I can understand people who dislike some of the changes compared to Vogel’s previous games, it maintains most of the stuff I considered key to my enjoyment of past games while making some design changes that I wholeheartedly approve of. Like skills. Honestly, I would far rather the Avadon route of having a bunch of interesting point investment opportunities in set classes, with real advancement each and every level (and new powers opening at high levels in most skills) than the previous “spend points freely on a bunch of largely generic skill categories, to increasing costs that may leave you unable to actually buy anything useful at some later levels”. It was a system that could certainly have been far worse, but I like the new system better.

And the individual Geneforge games on Steam show exactly the same price as the bundle because you can’t buy them separately. The bundle is the only way to get them on Steam.

• Deano2099 says:

@vinraith

I don’t think it’s that bleak. If the games don’t do well on Steam, he likely will just stop selling them on Steam. He can go back, because his own website still sells them at ‘full price’ (minus the recent unrelated 20% discount across the board).

I mean, if they don’t sell, Steam won’t even put future games up on there.

• Demiath says:

@malkav11 Thanks for correcting me on Geneforge’s bundling, although it makes no difference to the point I was making.

• Waltorious says:

@Vinraith, re: is anyone actually making complex RPGs?

There are certainly a few. The Eschalon series has been getting good press although I haven’t tried them myself yet. Then there’s Frayed Knights, which is also getting great reviews… apparently this is in the style of the later Wizardry games, i.e. first-person real-time 3D exploration with turn-based battles. As for upcoming games, there’s Legend of Grimrock which is being done in the style of Dungeon Master, and of course Age of Decadence which is aiming to recapture the spirit of Fallout, in terms of choice and consequence, and having your options limited by your character’s abilities.

I realize that I have described most of these in reference to older games, but each is offering its own new take on things, within that framework. Worth checking out.

• Juan Carlo says:

Geneforge hovered around number 13 in the top sellers list for 2 or 3 days before dropping off. That might not sound great, but that’s exactly what happened to Avadon on release (I.E. it was in the top 20 for a few days before dropping off) and Vogle seemed to be happy with Avadon’s sales judging by the fact that geneforge is now on steam. So hopefully it’s working out for him (even though he’s usually pretty frank about his sales, I doubt we’ll get a blog post from him talking about steam sales just because Valve forbids devs from talking about how many units they sell on steam).

But I second the fact that Vogle’s main fanbase doesn’t use steam. If you visit his forums his most rabid fans barely even know what steam is (it’s kind of funny as a good number of them seem a bit confused by the steam phenomenon). So I do think it’s true that if there’s any indie dev out there that doesn’t need steam to get buy it’s probably Vogle. He’s had a loyal following outside of steam for years and has gotten by fine, so if steam wasn’t working out for him I’m pretty sure he’d just quit using it and go back to selling games to his tiny niche of followers.

• Juan Carlo says:

As to Avadon being dumbed down, I stuck 80 hours into that game playing it on torment (it’s one of my favorite games released this year). So it might be dumbed down in comparison to previous spiderweb games, but it’s still prettty large compared to most modern RPGs on the market.

That said, it is a bit “Dragon-age” in the way companions are handled and in the relative linearity of plot. But the combat is like 100 times better than Dragon Age.

• Archonsod says:

“There may be an appetite for them, but as far as complex RPG’s is anyone actually making any?”

Depends on what you define as complex. A bunch of numbers and an abstract model does not complexity make :P In fact I’d say 99% of the complexity in Vogel’s stuff has sod all to do with the system and everything to do with the guy knowing how to write a good narrative.

“The Eschalon series has been getting good press although I haven’t tried them myself yet. ”

You should. Book II is excellent.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

Maaaaybe. Starfarer is very promising, for one. As a developer/entrepreneur first, I’m more excited by the opportunities than depressed that certain niches aren’t currently being satisfied. The potential is massive for RPGs and other sorts of games with heavy RPG elements, and I think a lot of it could achieve mainstream success. I strongly believe that you can present complexity in a way that isn’t unfriendly and impenetrable. I can’t stand to read manuals these days either.

Consider: I’m unaware of any good indie RPGs that have flopped. Quite the opposite; a number of mediocre ones have done rather well.

• Wizardry says:

No mention of Knights of the Chalice? Probably the best indie RPG out there. Knights of the Chalice 2 is in development too.

• Vinraith says:

@Till

Thanks, I wasn’t aware of Starfarer, I’ll keep an eye on that one.

@Waltorious

Thanks for the list. I was aware of all the titles you mention, but it’s good for others to have them all in one place.

@Wizardry

I was going to bring it up if you didn’t. I really need to play that one, actually, and I’m very pleased to hear they’re working on a sequel.

• Wizardry says:

How could I forget Ultima: Lazarus and Ultima 6 Project?

• Vinraith says:

Hmm, I may need to go find myself a copy of Dungeon Siege. What’s the condition of those projects? Am I right in remembering that, narratively, it’d be better to play Ultima 4 first?

• Wizardry says:

Both are complete. There are some bugs here and there but nothing too bad. The Ultima 6 Project is currently having a v1.1 patch made for it, to both fix bugs and fix issues with the mod (such as the dungeon lengths).

While Ultima V is full of unique characters, it suffered (for technological reasons) from having limited dialogue. Ultima: Lazarus greatly expands each character*, adds lots more quests to the game, adds a portrait for each character, adds dialogue choices, pads out the plot with as much detail as later Ultima games, and features an amazing soundtrack that mixes in various melodies from the original games’ music.

The Ultima 6 Project is quite true to the original Ultima VI, because Ultima VI already had plenty of dialogue and a detailed plot. However, it makes the world feel more like it’s really at war with the gargoyles, something that wasn’t portrayed that well in the original game.

As for playing Ultima IV before Lazarus, I’d say it isn’t necessary due to the huge jump in technology from Ultima IV to Dungeon Siege (17 years). If it were standard Ultima V and standard Ultima VI then I would definitely recommend it, but Dungeon Siege, technologically, feels too new to make the transition smooth.

* You can see how much is added to the characters by going to random Ultima V character pages on the Ultima wiki. Each page has a section for Lazarus specific character information, which completely dwarfs all the other details. Here’s an example page: http://codex.ultimaaiera.com/wiki/Gardner

• Vinraith says:

That sounds really cool, thanks for the information Wizardry. I’ll put those on the “to play” list, excessively long as it may be.

• ChainsawCharlie says:

This offer made me bought his games on Steam!

• InternetBatman says:

@Vinraith

It’s also possible that he makes less on average per game, but gets one or two weekend sales that put him way over the top. Don’t forget that Risen sold more copies in a weekend then it did in the entire year before, including its release.

Personally, I think the increased visibility will probably outweigh the drawbacks. Finding developers like Jeff Vogel isn’t exactly easy. I found him during a period of unemployment when I heard him say that he didn’t mind people downloading his games when they were unemployed, and I had been craving a game just like that for years. Now I’m thinking about buying the geneforge bundle again, just because I like Steam and the games are amazing.

I do wish they had given him greater visibility for such an amazing deal.

2. JagRoss says:

Someone seems to have missed the TotalWar sale on GamersGate.

• Jumwa says:

That sale seems rather deceptive. It’s claiming, to me, that Shogun 2 is marked down 83% to $15. Declaring the regular list price as $90. It’s on Steam for $30 normally.

Perhaps it’s just some display error, but if so, it’s a bizarre one.

Thermal Ions says:

Not quite a display error – it is $89.99 in Australia.

(and change your region to Australia in the top right)

• Jumwa says:

But I’m not looking at the Australian version of Gamersgate, I’m looking at the American prices.

Unless for some reason on the American site it’s giving me the sale price in US dollars and the original price in Australian dollars.

And even if that was the case, it’s still misleading to say it’s marked down 83%.

Thermal Ions says:

I agree it’s misleading. Whether it’s purposely done or a case of a glitch caused by automatically comparing the price against the highest USD price in their database (AU region) I couldn’t say.

3. Prime says:

Ohhhhh….blast!

Okay, okay! I’ll buy Shattered Horizon at that price but understand this, Bargain Bucket, there will be no more purchases in November! I’ve already bought Bastion, Borderlands, Saint’s Row 2, pre-ordered Skyrim and Saint’s Row 3 – and that’s on top of the IndieRoyale thing! I have too many games and not enough time to play them all! *cries into handkerchief*

4. cathode says:

Can’t beat some free Men of War action.

• Baka says:

Like, literally.
      I wasn’t able to beat the first mission alone.

5. The13thRonin says:

Is Men of War Red Tide truly 100% free? I am skeptical… Deal sounds too good to be true?

6. Temple says:

Cryptic comet is still having a 50% off sale for another … hours
    I just checked the website and have now forgotten. 4 days and a few hours apparently.

Anyway pop over and get yourself AE and that backstabbing-fighting-in-hell one.
    Or buy two hell ones for you and a friend then go to the forums and here and arrange a game.

Armagedding out of here.

• Oak says:

I also advise that everyone do this.

Thermal Ions says:

Any recommendations for top dog between SI and AE?

• malkav11 says:

AE is exclusively singleplayer. SI technically has an AI but really mostly needs to be played in multiplayer. So your choice, if you must choose, should probably be on the basis of which of those you’d prefer.

7. Aardvarkk says:

From everything I’d heard, The Binding of Issac was gory and brutal, not the game I’d want to play, I thought. I got it with my Humble Bundle (after I bought Voxatron, no less) and have been enjoying it in quick little games. It’s a nice way to kill 10-20 minutes with lots of little secrets to discover.

• mwoody says:

One of the weird things about BoI is that as you get good, it becomes less of a little timewaster, because your games tends to keep going. It can take me 40+ minutes to finish a game all the way through Sheol, which without a save function can sort of suck.

Granted, I tend to spend a long time on slot machines in-game (poor bit of design, I fear) but it’s still unfortunate.

8. wastelanderone says:

The Geneforge bundle was nothing short of amazing. I couldn’t justify £20 for each game, but £16.99 for the lot was an absolute no-brainer. I hope he puts the Avernum games in a bundle on Steam too, I’d buy that with no hesitation too.

• TheGameSquid says:

I wouldn’t count on it, since the next Spiderweb game will be a remake of Avernum 1. So I doubt he’ll be putting the old ones up there right before he finishes remaking them.

• ShineyBlueShoes says:

Since I saw those on steam the other day I’ve wanted to try them so bad but I’m not sure, hopefully they’ll go around $10 during the christmas sale so I can feel better about it.

9. Dr I am a Doctor says:

Damn it Tropico, I thought we were over

10. Urthman says:

Humble Bundle’s methods of encouraging people to jump in sooner rather than later (reliably tacking on extra games a few days into it, which you get free if you were an early buyer, then asking people to beat the current average, which keeps going up, but slowly enough that it doesn’t make you feel like a loser if you buy a day or two later), all of which builds momentum and publicity for each bundle early on, are truly genius.

I think they might be the only people doing digital game sales better than Steam.

• johnpeat says:

I’m struggling to work out how offering a small selection of indie games at a silly price is “doing digital sales better than Steam”

I mean if Steam only had 2 titles in it’s store, you’d have a point perhaps :)

FriendlyFire says:

They’re managing to sell an incredible amount of copies, generate vast publicity for all titles involved and donate a significant amount of cash to charity, all while netting substantial profit for developers and costing very little to setup.

If that isn’t getting digital distribution right, I don’t know what is.

Harbour Master says:

It doesn’t scale beyond a few hand-picked titles. That’s the problem.

• johnpeat says:

@FriendlyFire Oxfam sell a lot of stuff from their shops, have a great public profile and do a lot of good for the poor of the world but I’m not suggesting they’re better retailers than – say – Asda or M&S :)

The Humble Bundle is a nice idea – it’s clearly fuelled by it’s own popularity (Voxatron Alpha sold from it’s own site wouldn’t have generated that level of sales I suspect) – but the average price is a fraction of the $15 it strongly hint you pay and if you watch, a TONNE of people pay tiny sums, offset by a smaller amount who give most honest donations (e.g. it’s a mix of ‘near piracy’ and ‘over honesty’).

Do you really thing it’s a good idea to sell your goods at ‘Pay What you Want’ pricing – do you not thing it devalues them rather badly??

• sinister agent says:

“Hey, we’re making tonnes more money from usual, and selling to people who’d otherwise never have bothered with us.”

“OH NO! DEVALUED!”

I will never understand this.

FriendlyFire says:

The value of something is not an arbitrary point on the scale, it is what the market is willing to pay. Developers care not for such petty things, they just want to get back some money from their hard work. If they sell 100,000 copies at $1 each or 1000 at $10 each, which would they rather have?

By your logic, since Portal and Men of War became free for a day in past promotions, doesn’t that devalue them by infinity and make them worthless?

• johnpeat says:

Great arguments there – you didn’t just leap to the polar opposite and choose the silliest example at all

Oh wait… you did…

• sinister agent says:

Great evasion of both legitimate questions, there. It’s almost as if you didn’t want to reconsider your stance, so unfairly made out that the challenge to it was nothing but a lunatic fringe.

• mwoody says:

Yes. I would never pay money for a product that was just given away a couple weeks prior. It would make me feel like a tremendous sucker.

11. sendmark says:

Think I missed an X3 gold impulse sale earlier this week, that’s one game I want to try and get. I imagine with a new one coming in 2012 there will be another sale soon.

12. Yosharian says:

Why is the man in the picture holding a Daikatana box…..?

*steps away slowly*

• Lewie Procter says:

I’m not afraid to use it.

Revisor says:

I’m probably the only person in the world who really liked the game.
      Only the first two three levels were atrocious (you fighting against overgrown mosquitos), later it was very much ok.

Talk about a misleading beginning…

• TensaiBoy says:

haha, i only went to the comments to see if anybody asked :x
      good guy!

bsplines says:

Shattered Horizon looks interesting, has anyone around here played it?
    Is it multiplayer only?

• ZIGS says:

Yes, it’s MP-only. I was thinking of getting it but I’m afraid the community is dead at this point. Anyone who has the game can give us a status update?

• tungstenHead says:

I checked just now to see how many players were online. Less than a dozen across four servers. Futurermark added bots in a while ago and while they aren’t as crafty or clever as players, they do play the game with you.

• Brahms says:

Shattered Horizon could make such an absolutely killer single player game. The atmosphere is palpable.

• Post-Internet Syndrome says:

I grabbed it the last time it was on sale and it is a blast but yeah, the community is pretty much dead. Could definitely benefit from some play organising on the rps forum.

• bit_crusherrr says:

I really enjoyed Shattered Horizon. I bought it on launch it was well worth the money. The update that added extra weapons kinda ruined it for me though. It really is an amazing game, It’s a shame its dead.

• bonjovi says:

Yeah, fun game, they kinda ruined it by limiting it only to dx 10 when only %1 people had it. Kind of a suicide

14. Risingson says:

Do not overlook the offers at http://www.dotemu.com . Slipstream 5000 and Hardwar are actually very good games (I wonder if Hardwar has any of the original soundtrack that came with the CD, full of Warp artists like Black Dog, LFO, Autechre or Squarepusher).

15. Lobotomist says:

I bought Humble Indy Bundle for Voxatron. (that i was following for long time now)

Voxatron isamazing game. And will get “Amazinger” since its merely alpha. Especially since its so community and mod oriented..

I also got Binding of isac (that I allready have) and game that I care or hear about “Blocks That Mater” …But I got totally hooked on Blocks that Mater !

Could end to be best game of the deal :D , what a pleasant surprise.

Anyway here is a Bargain tip – and its best bargain cause its FREE :D

• Matzerath says:

You win the prize for ‘Post That Looks Like Robot Spam But I’m Pretty Sure Actually Isn’t’.
      And Stealth Bastard is really good.

• Mac says:

Do they register on Steam like some of the previous Humble games?

• johnpeat says:

Blocks that Matter is really good – but it’s also really, really hard and pretty unforgiving in a “oh you made a mistake – start the whole puzzle again” sort of way.

Hugely charming tho and worth a look if you like seriously brain-bending puzzles…

• Delusibeta says:

Issac and Blocks comes with a Steam code. Voxatron doesn’t, for obvious reasons (although I imagine it’ll turn up on Desura sooner rather than later).

• Mac says:

Cheers

• mechabuddha says:

You. Thank you. Stealth Bastard is amazing, and now I want to look at their other games.

16. Innovacious says:

Your doodles are bugged was only on offer for another 10 seconds when i clicked. I don’t want it, but that’s some seriously close timing.

17. UnravThreads says:

Sanctum is also on sale on GamersGate, except for the 4-pack, and the collection there doesn’t have the latest two DLC packs, but it’s £6.50 vs Steam’s £8, and you could just wait for those two maps to come down in price.

And, you know, it’s GamersGate. Better than Steam, money back via Blue Coins et al.

Malibu Stacey says:

I know it’s a bit late now but it’s only £7 for the Sanctum game + DLC’s on Steam if you buy the game itself and “Survival Kit” DLC pack. The £8 pack includes them all plus the soundtrack which is £3.49 on it’s own (not discounted during the sale).
      The “Survival Kit” is all 3 DLC towers plus the 4 DLC maps. Not fully required to enjoy the game but worth it for the extra fun they add (especially in 4 player co-op).

Also you can only play Sanctum through Steam anyway, Gamersgate will be selling you registration codes at best as per the Indie Royale pack.

I had already bought the game during the Steam Summer sale so I picked up the Survival Kit for the DLC’s & gave away my codes from the Indie Royale Pack to a friend so he could join us in co-op. Great game well worth £7 for it & all the extra content.

18. Lobotomist says:

Sorry dude. Always trying to type while babysitting my son. Not easy :S

19. Doctor_Hellsturm says:

Anyone know how IL2:COD fares as of recently? Heard some horrible stories about it, but i still want it.

20. Doctor_Hellsturm says:

Double post. Nothing to see here.

21. Moraven says:

Got Tropico Trilogy on Impulse. How i miss running my tropical empire.

22. pertusaria says:

It’s taken me this long to figure out that you’re in the bucket this week, Mr. Procter.

How much are you discounted by? :-P

23. jamesgecko says:

I didn’t know anything about Blocks that Matter, but it’s really good. I’ve sunk in more time to it than Voxatron so far.

It’s a 2D platformer about solving puzzles by harvesting Minecraft blocks. It needs an undo button badly, but that’s my only complaint.

• Dominic White says:

It’s a 2D puzzle game about harvesting Minecraft blocks and assembling them into Tetris block shapes, or deleting them in rows of 9.

And you’re on a mission to rescue Notch and Alexey Pajitnov.

It’s very clever, and incredibly self-referential.

• Vinraith says:

So it’s kind of like Henry Hatsworth on the DS?

24. bleeters says:

Hooray for Sanctum!

Boo for nigh-undefeatable-unless-you-specifically-prep-your-turrets-several-waves-in-advance double walker/spore waves.

Malibu Stacey says:

By that time you should have at least 1 level 6 gun if not 2. If you go sniper, pick off the spores & let your turrents deal with the walkers. If you go REX, Assault or Shotgun, unload on the walkers & let your turrents deal with the spores.

25. StranaMente says:

there’s Fortix 2 at 1,75€ on steam!
    Yeah!

26. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

Amazon.com has the trilogy of Men of War for ten dollars or 75 percent indivdually through their download service I absolutely know naught about.

27. ShineyBlueShoes says:

Anyone have thoughts on Tropico 3? I really just want to play the second one again but the best value seems to be the bundle with the original/expansion, second one and third and expansion.