Clouded Vision – Rainbow Six: Patriots

By Adam Smith on November 7th, 2011 at 11:14 am.

Do it, you patriot, but you better be thinking of Lady Liberty when you do

The announcement of the distant Clancy-fever-dream that is Rainbow Six: (Angry) Patriots brought back memories of playing the first game in the series, or at least I’m going to pretend it did for the purpose of what I say next. Careful planning, exchanging tactical tips with school chums, watching my elite squad fail to navigate the complex architectural geometry of a door. The memories quite literally did not come flooding back. But when I saw the ‘Vision Video’ for the new game, which serves as a warning of a dire future that can hopefully be averted, I did find myself retreating into memories of better times.

Meet Heavy Rainbow Six: Queasy Terrorism Emotivator.

The ‘dire future’ I referred to is not an attempted attack on Times Square, it’s a squad-based tactical FPS in which the player not only controls a man forced into committing an atrocity, but first presses square to kiss his soon-to-be assaulted wife. I feel like I’m watching the simulation of a dream conjured up by the collective broadcast-brain that is the Fox News fear factory.

Quite apart from being less PC than Roy Chubby Brown at a nunnery, and I’m not talking about the terrorist scenario it presents anymore, it also seems to be taking an approach to modern warfare that’s all too familiar. Less ‘Ripped From The Headlines’, more hoping to ‘Rip Into The Headlines’. The vision for the game doesn’t have a lot of game in it, from what I can see, but it does have a concept of vigorous and attention-seeking attempts at emotional manipulation.

This being a ‘Vision Video’ (a year old, we’re told, but just released), presenting a concept of what might be, there’s no telling how much it will resemble the final product. But if this is the equivalent of Ubisoft rolling up to a sales pitch, laying out the product and saying, “This is what New Patriot Hair Tonic can do for you”, I’d rather wear a somewhat shabby toupee, machine-built in the nineties.

, , .

1. Ian says:

How do the tactical Rainbow Six games hold up nowadays? I remember buying one of them back in the days when I didn’t understand system specs and not being able to run it. Could be tempted to go back and try one of them.

EDIT: Actually, it seems I might be mistaking different gameplay (i.e. no planning) on one or more of the console versions with the series actually having changed.

Do the newer ones follow the same style of you planning a mission before you play it?

• airtekh says:

The most recent one I’ve played was Vegas 2 (was there another one released since?).

There’s no tactical planning in that game, aside from choosing your loadout at the start of a level. It’s a pure action game, but I enjoyed it for the most part.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe Raven Shield was the most recent one that still had the tactical planning phase. If you’re looking for one with the planning, your best bet is to start there.

• Nim says:

Yeah, both Vegas has essentially been cover-based first-person shooters more reminiscent of Call of Duty than the original Rainbow sixes.

Anthile says:

They are all bastard hard and full of fakest difficulty you can find on this side of Takistan. They are also all very ugly now. Not to mention absolutely ridiculous plots. Get Raven Shield plus expansion.

• Arkaniani says:

@airtekh. It’s all about preferences I guess. Personally, I found the planning phase annoying and slow. Some people just want to enjoy the actual gameplay. Cant blame them.

Gap Gen says:

Raven Shield is still amazing. For the more recent ones, think a straight linear FPS with two buddies you can command in a style similar to Mass Effect. Vegas isn’t bad, but it’s not really in the same vein as Raven Shield.

• Mctittles says:

Yea, Raven Shield (and expansion Athena Sword) still has the planning stage and is a really fun and challenging strategy with the difficulty turned up. I’ve spent many hours playing multiplayer with friends, both co-op and adversary and they are both a blast.
      Probably the best stuff added in this compared to the previous one (Rogue Spear) was that smoke will actually fill a room and tear gas makes the other players vision get all messed up (unless they wear gas masks). The bullet physics are decent but a bit more arcade than the last.
      The last version with physics modeled bullet trajectory and weapons was Rogue Spear. The graphics can be pretty old in that, but the gameplay is still fun and challenging. Good game for a laptop that can’t play newer ones.

2. CMaster says:

Rainbow appear to be complete bastards in this one. And really, what thtey seem to be trying to do is make a Modern Warfare but a touch more realistic combat than to actually recreate the tactical experience of early Rainbow Six games.

3. Serge says:

Where is my planning phase? QTE?

No thanks.

More like RainBLOW Six.

Gap Gen says:

Why do people think QTEs are good? They are awful. There is no immersion to be had in pressing buttons that have no relation to what’s on-screen. Pressing “w” to go forwards is burned into my psyche. Pressing “square” to kiss wife is just sad.

• Hoaxfish says:

Just shut up and hit the button! No time to think!

It’s like a terrible terrible gameshow…

Gundato says:

QTEs are good, when they are done well.

God of War 3 has quite a few DAMNED good QTEs that actually make you feel like you are part of the action (depress both analog sticks to shove your thumbs into a guy’s eyes…). A later one (in)famously has you pounding a skull into mush, which only ends when you stop mashing the X button.

The problem is (much like shooting up a corridor) that too many devs take it too far. We don’t need a QTE to open a jar of pickles.

• DrGonzo says:

‘make you feel’

But you aren’t. And this is a game, you should be in control all of the time if possible. If it’s not possible to keep you in control, cut it from the game it’s unnecessary. But then I would rather games completely got rid of cutscenes. Very few developers seem to follow that idea. I don’t mind you losing control if it makes sense in the game.

This comment wouldn’t normally apply to Rainbow Six. But as they are going for a more traditional fps, I think it does.

Gundato says:

I guess that is a difference in ideologies. The whole point of QTEs is so that the player IS in control, even when you are doing stuff that would otherwise not be possible with the gameplay.

An example is the cliche’d “I need to run to get through those closing doors”. Now, the easy way is to leave the player in complete control, run through, and have lots of space left. But that is boring. The fun way is always to make it through at the last second (probably with a dive roll). A QTE or cutscene can do that.

Same with disarming bombs. You COULD just have the player hold a single button to use a wrench (because a wrench fixes all problems). Or you go more dramatic, have the player responsible for cutting the wires.

There is a balancing act either way, but cutscenes are ways to let the player do things that either aren’t possible/likely in the core gameplay (propping a closing door open with a rifle to be dramatic) or to make a scene more dramatic. And QTEs let the player still feel as though they are in control.

Obviously, abuse of both can hurt. But, when done right, they leave a lasting memory in an SP campaign.

liquidsoap89 says:

I enjoy QTEs when they’re done properly. Like it has already been said, God of War has some great QTEs, as does Heavy Rain (some). The problem is that so many other games just use “press b a lot to do something”, and those aren’t fun. I think the actual concept of QTEs is what I enjoy most. Getting you involved in what’s going on in the game, as opposed to sitting back and watching what’s going on is a great idea to me. Especially in a game like God of War where you might not necessarily be able to do what’s actually happening on the screen (gameplay wise).

I think of QTEs kind of like how I think of motion control in games. A lot of it is just plain garbage, tacked on for the sake of being there. But there’s the odd gem that makes you see the potential in what’s actually there…

• Mctittles says:

Will I have to download Quick Time player to play this game?

• strikerRD says:

“Resident Evil 4 (one of the first QTE-heavy games, if I recall correctly) also did a pretty good job. A few were frustrating, but most served to keep you on your toes and to make sure that an exciting and action-filled cutscene kept you engaged, rather than serving as a rest. If Leon is frantically bouncing around like a bunny on crack, the player should not be eating a sandwich.”

You couldn’t be more wrong. The first game with alot of QTE’s(i’m also pretty sure it started the trend in genral) was Shenmue for the dreamcast. After that game you started to see a whole lot more QTE business.

• Nick says:

Lasting memory my arse, oh hey remember when I pressed q then w when prompted? Man what a time that was. What an experience! Or the time I didn’t press it and had to do it again? Awesome.

Gundato says:

striker: Fair enough, but I was mostly considering what made it popular. Shenmue (like the Dreamcast, in general) was an interesting game, but was largely ignored.

RE4 (to my memory) was the first game to get QTEs “right”

Sort of like Halo. As much as we love to mock the crap out of it, it was the first widespread game to get vehicles/infantry combat merged together in an interesting fashion. Sure we had Tribes (which was really fun, but niche), Battlefield (which, up until recent iterations, always felt like the vehicle and infantry aspects were two concurrent games, not the “same” game), and OFP (amazing, but niche :p). But Halo is what made people aware of it and largely influenced the short-lived “team-based FPS with vehicles and explosions” theme.

Half-Life is largely credited with being one of the first games to have scripted events and in-game cutscenes. At least System Shock 2 and before had those, but it was largely passed over.

DOOM is considered the first FPS. Wolfenstein3d, among other games, came first.

But either way, RE4 is a good example of how QTEs can be done to enhance gameplay. They keep the player involved, even during exposition.

• sanjuaro says:

Half-Life came out in 1998. You’re entirely wrong about System Shock 2, because it came out a year later.

Gundato says:

Really?

Hmm, then why the hell is it nigh impossible to get SS2 running without jumping through forty hoops, but HL (even the non-steam version) runs with barely a hiccup? :p

Ah well.

Chronological relations aside, I hope I got the point across.

4. Tuco says:

That’s not Rainbow Six. It’s Heavy Rain with guns.

5. thessalian_pine says:

Rainbow Six: Desperate Housewives

6. thepaleking says:

10/10 Viscerals
    9/10 Emotions

7. wiper says:

On the other hand, the more recent Rainbow Six: Vegas titles were actually pretty damned good – low-level tactics rather than the clockwork planning of the original titles, but it worked very well – particularly in co-op. So there is recent precedent for decent R6 titles, just not in the same vein as the ’90s versions. This vision trailer is distressingly of the times with its need for overblown grittiness, but there might be a decent game hiding behind it.

(All that said, I miss the pre-GRAW Ghost Recon series. Hiding in bushes, scanning the scenery for any out of place pixels, dying a lot. Good times)

• IDtenT says:

I really liked Vegas as well.

What I didn’t like was Ghost Recon. I want to be 1 person, not a full squad, thank you very much.

• werix says:

I really liked Vegas 2 as well. I’ve got a lot of mileage out of it with a few friends. The Terrorist hunt mode has great replayability. The only problem was that in Terrorist hunt, enemies just sort of randomly spawn, so it has happened way too many time that a room that we just cleared would have terrorists spawn there, come up and kill us, and either I or a friend rage quitting.

That aside, I always found the gameplay really fun. I’m also a sucker for appearance customization.

8. Teddy Leach says:

USE Kiss ON Wife.

9. IDtenT says:

Killing terrorists? Yes!
    Shooting cops? Eh?

Hot sauce. I don’t care. I liked the Vegas games, because of good cover mechanics, block by block combat approach and having to kill upwards of 100 terrorists. If they’re going to weigh it down in some pretentious pseudo-politics, then I couldn’t give a shit.

• LuNatic says:

This is why we can’t have nice things.

• Nim says:

I think it’s really cute that you thought Rainbow six: Vegas 2 contained terrorists.

• IDtenT says:

I, uh… don’t care if you have some kind of plot point you want to bring to light or something. The point was that there were men with guns trying to shoot me. I shot them first. There was no ham-fisted connotation with anything. It was all out action for action’s sake. I mean the main evil guy turned against me because of daddy issues. Like lol.

This does not look like that. Here we will have some sort of plotline that takes itself way to seriously.

• sneetch says:

I played though R6V2 (sounds like a Star Wars droid) twice with a friend and we had a blast, I don’t care if they’re terrorists, or mercenaries, or clone-troopers, or shoe-salesmen, or figments of the main characters imagination, they shot at us, we shot back, fun was had. Sure there was a whiny man-child behind it all, we let him talk and talk the first time to make sure we didn’t miss something, on the second playthrough it was an unannounced race to shoot him as soon as the game allowed.

10. thesisko says:

The YouTube comments are more depressing than the video.

11. groovychainsaw says:

Surely this is a satirical swipe at other QTEs? ‘Press square to kiss wife’ is a little like ‘you have to burn the rope’. An 8-bit demake is in the works…

I am giving up on first person shooters until someone can make one without awkward plotting or ill-advised QTE squences (or, as above, a terrible combination of both). The challenge goes out, please, developers, surprise me by including decent, interesting enemy AI or something more emergent/enable me to make the story instead. I know its harder to do, but it will create far more interesting experiences in the long run.

12. ShadyGuy says:

Hmm. To be honest I didn’t think it looked that bad. Sure it’s all consoly and a far cry from what the old rainbow six shooters were like, but the shooty action on the bridge did appeal to me. Ordering a backup team to lay suppressive fire and/or remove some enemies while you move up the bridge sounds tactical to me. :)

13. Lazaruso says:

Crazed Joker minion calls Catwoman a bitch in Arkham City? Gamer outrage blows up the internet like a tsunami.

Rainbow Six operative shoots police officers and throws innocent victim of terrorism into the ocean with a bomb strapped to his chest? READ THE PATRIOT ACT AND SHUT UP YOU COMMUNIST.

• ShadyGuy says:

The cop got shot in the leg.
      *Arnie’s voice* “He’ll live.”

• DrGonzo says:

Wait, what was he meant to do exactly?

• Kandon Arc says:

Evidently trying to minimise casualties makes you a right wing nutjob.

maninahat says:

@ Kandon
      The situation itself feels like it was dreamed up by a right wing nutjob: Demented terrorists kick down your door and attack you in your living room, government agents are unaccountable for any violence against civilians or policemen, and violent acts are justified because the circumstances are so contrived, they present no alternative. Feels very 24.

• theleif says:

Well, at least the terrorists aren’t Arabs or Russians.

14. Inigo says:

PRESS X TO DING CHAVEZ

Hanban says:

Poor woman, I think she had some sort of a hip problem. Or she’s a robot. Perhaps that’s the conspiracy.

• CMaster says:

She does seem to have some difficulty with walking around the house, yes

• Bhazor says:

They might have just used a stripper for motion capture.

• Hoaxfish says:

Hey baby, show me the money and I’ll show you some real sloppy mo-cap action

sonofsanta says:

Beaten to it. Darnation.

Maybe it’s all part of the plot? Secretly your wife is like Jamie-Lee Curtis at the end of True Lies and the terrorists fear her high-kicking no-nonsense ability to defend her home and family, so they’ve been surreptitiously slipping bone-weakening additives into the water supply for months in order to ensure success of their kidnap’n'blow technique.

16. John P says:

This video is amazing — if it’s supposed to be a parody of modern games.

• steviesteveo says:

I really hope it’s a joke. I really don’t want it to be anything else.

• WotevahMang says:

Whats with the see through walls, cyber info crap being overlayed? Rainbow Deus Ex?

And does remind me of this vid.

17. Dances to Podcasts says:

That was so predictable it’s like one of those horror movies. ‘Nooo! Don’t open the door! Something bad will happen!’

We’ve reached Punch & Judy level.

18. I_have_no_nose_but_I_must_sneeze says:

It must be nice to have a wife that walks like she’s in some kind of fashion show first thing in the morning. Or maybe she’s just doing that because it’s his birthday? Hidden character depth!

19. Fathom says:

I thought it was interesting. Guy who wrote this article sounds like a cranky motherfucker. In fact, that seems to be what most of RPS is anyway. Whiny bitches with superiority factors who want games to be their way or no way at all.

• kikito says:

“Whiny bitches with superiority factors who want games to be their way or no way at all.”

Mirrors are very cheap these days.

• Magnetude says:

“The PR director from Uibsoft told us you can kill terrorists in ways that have never been done before and the graphics are better than Avatar, so this will probably be the best game ever. Check back here for daily updates on how many units HMV thinks this game will ship and making-of videos of the behind-the-scenes developer diaries.”

If you want journalism like that, you can go literally anywhere else on the internet. Cynicism is RPS’s thing, deal with it or don’t.

bear912 says:

SHUN THE NON-BELIEVER

BETTER YET, ASSIMILATE HIM TO THE HIVEMIND

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

I cannot fathom your line of thinking…

20. CaspianRoach says:

What happens if you don’t blow the candles off? I assume there’d be battlefield3-style MISSION FAILED screen with animation of you falling on the floor. Because of the wife slapping you or something. But well, at least everyone stays alive.

c-Row says:

Still better than a bedroom and a “Return To The Battlefield” message.

• gillesv says:

Press SQUARE to KISS WIFE.
      Press TRIANGLE to STARE BLANKLY.
      Shake controller to FAKE EPILEPTIC SEIZURE.

21. Bhazor says:

This is essentially how NRA members see their daily commute.

22. kikito says:

Wait. Can I press square to kiss anyone, or just the wife?

If you can kiss the terrorist then this will be a GOTY.

• IDtenT says:

I’m now thinking about how awesome it would be if you can grab a terrorist from behind turn him around and start making out with him. Candles light up. Some sax in the background. Yeaaaaah.

• Bhazor says:

You may laugh but I honestly think theres something in that. Imagine all the terrorists who take religion way too seriously and imagine how much calmer and responsive they would be after a beer and a blowjob.

I think we’ve hit on world peace here people.

• CaspianRoach says:

Press TRIANGLE to give blowjob. I’d play that.

• Hoaxfish says:

It’s all an elaborate set-up for the most awesome boys’ night out ever.

See, it’s your birthday, so they’ve got it all arranged.
      First your wife does her wifey duty,
      they get the hilarious “cake is a lie/having your cake but not eating it” jokes
      then they bundle you into the back of a van, in just your underpants, strap a fake-bomb to you
      dump you out of the van in the middle of rush hour,
      and then your other friends run at you with guns and throw you into the river!

Spend the rest of the day at a bar, then some club…

You’re gonna wake up tomorrow morning kissing a camel, while bound to a lamp-post!

• pepper says:

Hahaha, almost threw a beverage of undefined content on my numbers-n-letters input device. Good show!

Gap Gen says:

My favourite part of Lego Star Wars was if you press H you slap your enemies and/or friends, but if you’re Han Solo and you try it on Leia, they kiss. D’aww.

23. Luk 333 says:

This seems like a bad episode from 24.

Jackablade says:

The “wife” in the still at the top looks like some kind of terrifying muppet. I’m a little wary of clicking on the video lest it give me nightmares.

25. sinister agent says:

For a brief moment there, I thought I’d just got an alt-text shoutout. Bitter tears commencing shortly.

Thoughts:

That first picture looks a lot like someone has taken a young Keanu Reeves and somehow smeered his face, perhaps using a small shovel or trowel.

As for the trailer… well. It certainly looks like a new direction, I can’t deny that. I’m not personally very happy that they appear to be trying to make a big Story Game (with – sigh – glorified cut scenes in which you’re forced to play as the cameraman for a while before you can play the actual game. Is it still 1998 somewhere in America?), as the Vegas games were better at absolutely everything else than they were at Story Stuff. But! That doesn’t mean it’ll be a bad game. Also I guess this is focussing heavily on it, but it might make up a tiny minority of the playing.

I just hope to christ they make all that cut scene stuff skippable. And yes, it’s still a cut scene even if you’re controlling the cameraman. I don’t care how cinematic people think it is: I should be able to skip the non-game parts of the game if I want to, and that includes the parts where my only option is to obediently press R2 when I’m told to, and trudge wearily on to the next trigger where the game allows me to play again.

I don’t see how this “forced suicide bomber” tactic would ever work. At all. I mean, yes, it’s hard for a person to shoot someone knowing they’re an innocent hostage, but that is totally what you’d do. A man and his family killed is the better option than dozens/hundreds of people killed. You’d only need to do it once, too, before the terrorists realised that it didn’t work, so there’d be no point in doing it. Difficult for the individual to do that, yes, but on a strategic level it’s the only rational option.

Plus I don’t know about you, but I wouldn’t put a dead man’s switch on someone strapped to an enormous bomb, and then have them walk around right next to me, in plain sight of police snipers. It’s just a very complicated version of taking cover behind an explosive barrel.

“There’s no time to radio down to those police! We have to shoot them!”

“Why don’t we just shout ‘Police: cease fire’?”

“Goddammit Jung, stop spoiling my fun.”

Also, it amuses me to imagine that the lady person is in fact named “Wife”.

c-Row says:

So releasing the trigger would probably result in an instant game over screen, just to get blown up two minutes later anyway? Uh-huh… yet another “You have to play the game exactly as we invisioned, or not at all” title then.

• Hoaxfish says:

The real game is in whether or not you can let go and press it again without the game realising you’ve just done that.

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

I would say this is a different case, though. The different characters have different priorities – the mustache-man needs to do as the terrorists say to preserve his family, and the army dude needs to keep the bomb from blowing. You play according to their needs, and your objectives shift with the shift of your characters.

• gillesv says:

In the future, if you don’t follow along with the scripted cutscenes EXACTLY, the game awkwardly continues for a moment until suddenly the game pauses, someone off screen yells “CUT” and a virtual director walks into view and starts yelling at you for being a terrible person and then proceeds to tell you exactly what you need to do and when.

Then all the enemies and NPC’s return to their starting position, exploded barrels are replaced with fresh ones and… ACTION!

• Highstorm says:

I wondered this myself. How neat would it be if the plot actually changed based on where you decided to let go of R2?

Be a hero and blow up the terrorists right there in the van? Or maybe make a bee-line for the edge of the bridge and throw yourself over in a noble sacrifice. Or go along with their plans in a futile attempt to save your family.

But I suppose that’s too much to ask from a glorified QTE.

jezcentral says:

Hmm, they could at least have taken the bloke’s address before throwing him over the edge.

“What’s that? Family held hostage? Where? Oh, never mind. Over you go!”

• sinister agent says:

THERE’S NO TIME!!!

• ReV_VAdAUL says:

The Rainbow Six people already opened fire on a bridge full of civilians for next to no reason (they only learn at the end of the video the bomb is remote detonated) so I can’t imagine saving just a couple of civilians is of any interest to them.

c-Row says:

But they could at least go to his place and kiss his wife then.

• Hoaxfish says:

His last words were “give her one from me!”

• Kandon Arc says:

Uh, what?

The guy says; ‘They’ve got my wife’ to which R6 responds ‘Your family is secure’

Watch the video guys?

• sinister agent says:

Watch the video

There’s no time!

Really, I am going to start using this as a response to everything. It’s unbeatable. And dramatic!

c-Row says:

There’s always enough time for a dramatic “THERE’S NO TIME!”.

28. Was Neurotic says:

That is one fugly-looking non-humanoid toad creature in that video up there. More like ‘Press Square to shield your face and scream.’

29. DK says:

Let’s make a big show on how we’re so immersive then pull out of the character and go third person for no reason.

Developers need to get a fucking lesson in point of view design. You can’t try to be all “you’re this character!” then cut out to a random explosion because it would “look cool”.

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

As much as I hate to admit it, the shifts between first and third person in DXHR for ladder climbing and cover didn’t bother me at all. I barely noticed them*. On the other hand, the shifts for takedowns, and especially for the Icarus landing system always left me disoriented and often facing the wrong way.

*I think this is because the camera angle is preserved. It’s particularly noticeable when detaching from cover (shifting from third to first person): at some angles, the game will place your avatar well back from the cover as it preserves the camera angle: giving you full continuity of what you were looking at, but at the cost of possible exposing your avatar to enemy fire when he wasn’t before.

• sinister agent says:

It’s the same as the Vegas cover system, which is the best cover system of just about any game ever made. You NEED to see your whole body when taking cover, so that you know how exposed you are. First person perspective does not offer this. Third person does, which simulates proprioception, which is in fact more immersive.

Mixing perspectives doesn’t automatically take you out of synch with what’s happening. If it did, every tv and film ever made would be shot like Peep Show.

30. reticulate says:

I rather enjoyed the Vegas-style cover shootings, and it looks like they’re still aiming roughly in that direction while adding yet more cinematic action ala MW, etc. Honestly, as long as the mechanics are as strong as they have been previously, I’ll probably play it.

And of course the plot will be ridiculous, it’s a modern Tom Clancy game. Considering the multitude of ways the world is threatened over the history of the broader license, it’s a surprise the whole world hasn’t been blown up a few times over yet. Splinter Cell is still my favourite, but I don’t mind me some GRAW or R6 as well.

31. asshibbitty says:

Filthy foreclosure-cash-inners with their android wives and their off-camera children. Are they trying to mix in some social angst here? Like, “this guy dies but he did take someone else’s money”?

Gap Gen says:

I love how game writing is getting far, far worse as the FPS genre descends into marketing-led hell and dies. Fighting a neo-Nazi conspiracy? Sure. Saving your wife? Clichéfest. Yawn.

33. JackShandy says:

I can see the final level already.

“There’s no time to question orders! In order to stop the terrorists, we have to rape the statue of liberty.Can’t radio it in, we have to do it now!”

34. Mad Hamish says:

@Arkaniani well you can blame them actually. It’s a tactical shooter. Tactics, believe it or not, is gameplay. You’re obviously playing the wrong game.

35. lokimotive says:

Sadly, if he just grabbed the iPad none of this would’ve ever happened.

36. Novack says:

“…I feel like I’m watching the simulation of a dream conjured up by the collective broadcast-brain that is the Fox News fear factory…”

Amen.

37. Novack says:

Double post, sorry. Commenting through the pages does not work so well.

c-Row says:

@lokimotive

Being kicked out of the back of a van, tied up with explosives and under fire? There’s an app for that!

39. BAshment says:

Rainbow six – jingoism

• Kandon Arc says:

Really? I don’t recall seeing foreign powers mentioned once in that video.

• BAshment says:

In after thought jingoism was the wrong word. I was under the impression it was another word for extreme nationalism and did not realise it took into regard foreign policy as well. my mistake.

Sagan says:

a) I like that games are more ambitious nowadays and try to make more personal stories and not the superhero saves everything that used to be so common.
    b) I won’t like this game. This has so many wrongs rolled into one.
    4. QTEs to advance a cinematic in which you have no choice whatsoever. This is the laziest game design ever. Either be honest and make it a cinematic or make my actions have meaning. Don’t force me to do meaningless things.
    3. Achievement unlocked in the middle of the action. In a target video. I guess they don’t care all that much about immersion. They care more about hitting the bullet points of what a game nowadays should have.
    2. Probably a whole bunch of sexism. I mean it could be that you can also play as a woman and then you’ve got a sexy husband who brings you cake, but I’m just gonna say that it’s unlikely. This is going to be a boys’ game. No girls allowed to play.
    1. The emotional exploitation.

41. Radiant says:

EDGY! [tm]

42. AlexW says:

I don’t see what everyone’s problem is. It’s a concept video, in which the game attempts to give some emotional connection to the bloke you have to toss off a bridge to save some lives. Is the nuke scene in MW1 suddenly and retroactively a terrible idea? Because last I heard, before it was overused later, that was a well-liked surprise.

Let alone the people mocking the look of the wife. Goddamn, it’s not final quality, it’s a quick mock-up of what they were hoping to achieve a year ago. It’s like trying to nitpick someone else’s argument, but you can’t actually find anything decent to criticise so you laugh derisively at the slightest mistake in their grammar. I expect better from an RPS thread.

Regarding the content, I’m going to wait to see actual gameplay before providing real critique, but I don’t have a problem with the way they’ve presented it so far. They’re using different keys for the button prompts, meaning it’ll probably tie into the normal controls (sprint button/key for running-based commands, ‘use’ for using things, etc.) and if you’re in tune with what they want you to do it’ll be instinctive, like you’d expect from good controls. And regardless of anyone’s personal beliefs about the Vegas games being dumbed down, they had damn good controls, with the best cover controls of any cover shooter that came within the next three years, so I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt.

So calm down, and put down the pitchforks at least until there’s evidence of horrible design decisions being carried through to the final product.

• Felixader says:

The Nuke in Modern Warfare 1 and this aere VERY different cases. Let me repeat myself:

Manipulating. Yes, oh my, it is!

If i have ever seen a case of lazy writing THIS is is.
      MY fucking hell!
      I don’t even care much for the stupid scare mongering (“We gonna break in to your perfect life and take your beautifull wife AND your children!” Not to forget that she is even in her undies ON YOUR birthday nontheless AND you were about to possibly have sex. THESE EVILZ!).

But directly connecting this to you playing the squad, WOW is this shitty!

And to add some more, there isn’t evne ANY logical reasion why the terrorists should do this. Not a single thing here makes any sense. From the scare mongering, senseless capturing and seizing of this model family trough terrorists and then using this guy as a bomb to the Special Force team opening fire at them in an narrow corridor of cars filled to the brim with civilians. IT MAKES NO SENSE and serves only as an exclamation makr after the word SHOOTAH ACTIONZ!

• codename_bloodfist says:

The nuke was original in the same way that the first few seasons of 24 were original. The fifth season of 24 certainly wasn’t and neither is this.

Stellar Duck says:

Why did the guy in the start buy his house in Uncanny Valley? That’s a really unsettling place to live.

44. Felixader says:

Manipulating. Yes, oh my, it is!

If i have ever seen a case of lazy writing THIS is is.
    MY fucking hell!

But directly connecting this to you playing the squad, WOW is this shitty!

The thing is it wouldn’t even had been half as bad when the beginning scene wouldn’t exist and the guy had just been saying it.
    Someone send this to the guys and gals from Extra Credits! I really would like to know what they think about this.

45. Zarunil says:

The story could be interesting.

I don’t care much for the manshootery, though. Way too arcade for my liking. I miss the old days of tactical planning and executing. Give me a map, let me set waypoints. I’d like a mix of the classic Rainbow Six and SWAT. Peeking under doors with an extendable mirror rod and what have you. Flashbangs, handcuffing baddies, securing weapons and so forth. All that good stuff, not more consollery.

46. danimalkingdom says:

“We hope you enjoyed the viewing”

No. Who enjoys that?

47. McFluff says:

This looks to be as much Rainbow Six as Conviction was Splinter Cell.

48. mattratcliffe says:

I made a quick picture to sum up my thoughts: http://twitpic.com/7buega/full

49. mattratcliffe says:

oops, double post :/

50. dysphemism says:

Well, here’s the thing: I do appreciate game narratives that have you leaping between perspectives. I think the problem is that the leap they’ve chosen is fairly cheap, i.e. how much “edgier” would this video have been if you’d played a non-combat sequence as one of the terrorists? I’m not arguing how that portrayal would play out, or should be played out, but rather that modern shooters seem to whip themselves silly in pursuit of the moral gray area, without touching on the one simple thing that can do that: imbue enemies with any glimmer of humanity.
    And how redundant to have players take on the role of the unfortunate victim. We already empathize with the poor bastard. I mean, look at him!