Enjoy Some Freudian Ships

By Craig Pearson on November 7th, 2011 at 6:00 pm.

Ahhh-ohhhh-eeeee-ahhh.

I didn’t realise I was making music. The collection of ships I was controlling on the screen were interacting, plucking at invisible instruments as they fought for dominance, creating odd, realaxing new-age plinks. At the end of the game I was given the option to save the abstract sound the little battle created, to listen to later on. Neat!

You’re an id, looking to exert your Influence over the rest of the dart shaped ships. You do this by dragging your mouse cursor around, looking for uncoloured thoughts to control. You harrass them with your little ship, until they absorb your colour. The goal is to grow the swarm, taking over all other colours.

Fleeing a larger mob of thoughts
It’s not a game of great depth: you interact with the mouse cursor and that’s all, but the fight for the canvas is relaxing enough to have delayed my write-up for a good few minutes. I kept returning, slumping in my chair and listening to the dynamic electronica drifting around my head as I dragged my way around to dominance, fighting off the attentions of the other ‘thoughts’ and trying to work out the patterns of the others. It even has multiplayer, but I found myself alone on a server of my own hosting when I loaded it up, sadly wandering among bots and wailing about existentialism. I do that, sometimes.

The demo is probably all you need, and it’s right here.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Tams80 says:

Just the kind of game I’ve been looking for. With the thick fog outside, a mug of tea (with digestives and ginger nuts) it couldn’t make me feel more relaxed and content.

• Blackberries says:

That sounds like a blissful little morning idyll. Much as I generally hate the grey dreariness of Autumn, it can have its moments.. I’ll sit back with the demo and some tea after a jog.

2. Big Murray says:

Am I the only one who thinks “Freudian Ships” is a much better title for this?

3. RF says:

It’s like a bunch of multicoloured semen.

4. Squishpoke says:

Dat pun

5. cjlr says:

IT’S FREUDIAN BECAUSE THE SHIPS LOOK LIKE SPERM

6. Skabooga says:

This should be the example given under the heading “existentialism” in the dictionary.

7. Eukatheude says:

Would people please stop using the term “electronica”? It doesn’t mean anything. “Electronic music”, please.

PS. I’m not as enraged as i might sound

• Heliocentric says:

If you are less enraged than you sound, and you ended your complaint with the word please you may have fallen into a coma, please contact a medical professional.

• Wulf says:

Electronica might not have meant anything, but these days it tends to commonly mean electronic music as a general genre. It’s a descriptor and a label, and eventually its etymology will be forgotten to all but the few and it’ll only be electronica. That’s the evolution of language for you!

• apocraphyn says:

Etymology indeed. It’s like the Blizzcon thread all over again! Only this time, Wulf’s on the opposite side of the debate! You hypocrite, you!

I, for one, am all for the rights of electronic music (and it’s designated distinction apart from the catch all term, “electronica”). I’m not a fan of electronic music, but all power to those who are.

8. Wulf says:

Fascinating. Weird. Downloaded. I must have a look at this.

9. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

It is not bad, but I will wait for the pay-what-you-want sale (alone or as part of some bundle), as it is the “I am waiting for the movie” of the indie gaming.

10. FhnuZoag says:

Seems rather depressing. Start with a multi-colour patchwork of different voices, realise that to survive you have to brainwash everyone and drown out all the other ideas by weight of sheer numbers. Also, hasn’t this been made before under the name of Liquid War?

• ColdSpiral says:

Agreed on both counts. I felt like the zombies in Atom Zombie Smasher or some kind of monoculture. Especially when a message came up saying something like “All of the other voices have been silenced”.
      I think I would have preferred some way of intergrating their sounds into your group – maybe each faction is a melody or a rhythm, and the neutrals are the instruments?
      And there have been a few incarnations of the organic RTS style kicking around the internet over the years, though this is one of the nicer in presentation.

• Gramarye says:

Isn’t that an interesting point the game makes? The song is always more interesting when there are more entities/instruments on the field. Once you silence them and ‘win the argument’, there’s only you and people like you, and the song becomes rather boring to listen to.

11. Larkington says:

I think this is one of those zen game experiences, of which I (sometimes) enjoy. The music aspect is rather neat. One of the odd things is, it already knew my real name. I never typed it in anywhere. Did this happen to anyone else?

12. Sigvatr says:

This game is more indy than an indy indy.

13. Bob says:

Looks like a game I should play after I complete STALKER: SoC, to calm my frazzled nerves.
    This is totally unrelated and absolutely none of my business, but has Mr Pearson gone freelance?

Comment on this story