Serious Sam 3: BFE’s eye-popping trailer

By Craig Pearson on November 7th, 2011 at 10:41 am.

That eye is going to pop, and I'm going to feel odd in the tummy.

New up-and-coming games writing wannabe Craig Pearson is with us this week. Say hello to the young Scottish chancer!

Croteam’s Serious Sam 3: BFE, which I hope stands for ‘Best Friends forEver’, has an exciting new trailer out where the guns are relegated to second place. In place of well-oiled gun barrels and polished, throbbing rockets it’s the grim melee assaults that strut confidently around in their chaps. It’s like the Queensbury Rules: 2nd edition, where “That no shoes or boots with spikes or sprigs be allowed”, has been replaced with “If your heart is ripped out and squeezed into a paste, you have till the count of ten to get back on your feet.”

The uncouth violence is below.

, , , , .

1. Teddy Leach says:

I’ve always wanted to tear something’s heart out.

JohnArr says:

I say!

3. Bhazor says:

On the down side I almost always hate these things but on the upside I’m guessing they’re not mandatory. But for me it still bucks the sense of flow. Not as much as having to reload (that one screenshot of a “Press R to Reload” screen depleted so many of my hopes) of course. I really hope that was somekind of joke and Sam just throws the gun away and picks up a 12 barrel auto shotgun instead.

Now if the torn out hearts/heads could act as grenades like in Terminator: Subtitle on the Xbox or cause some kind of random chaos I’d be alot happier about their inclusion.

• Squishpoke says:

I believe the reloading is only on two or three weapons. The rest are the old staples.

If that ruins the game for you, maybe we should check you in to the mental asylum for hopeless no-fun nannies.

• FalseMyrmidon says:

You had to reload the pistols at least in the first game.

• Maktaka says:

Take a look at how fast they are though. Other than the very last one (which is on an enemy that has in previous trailers always looked to be an enemy you should focus on the killing of), they’re VERY fast, as in “pump-action shotgun” fast.

• LionsPhil says:

I don’t like the overegged camera wobble for them. In fact, this video gives me very very bad DNF vibes.

Thankfully those are mitigated by all the other videos of running backward and sideways while screaming and firing several times Sam’s mass in bullets.

Schaulustiger says:

Rock, Paper, Shotgun: Now with 20% more PC Gamer personnel.

• Inglourious Badger says:

I knew I’d heard that name somewhere before

• frenz0rz says:

Indeed!

I shed manly tears upon reading that another one of my favourite PCG writers was leaving the mag. And mere months after John left too! I’m very happy to see that the good Buck Sexington is with us once again.

• thegooseking says:

thegooseking remembers when Buck used to talk about himself in the third person.

• LionsPhil says:

I did question how “new and up-and-coming” he could be when I remember him from the olden days when I used to get my gaming news from shiny slices of dead tree, and wild coverdiscs roamed the land.

5. Snargelfargen says:

Whenever I see Serious Sam: BFE, I’m reminded of the ads in the back of the city’s paper for “GFE” which is slang for “girl-friend experience”. The term is used for the more high class prostitutes that you take out to dinner and so on.

Serious Sam would be one hell of a boyfriend experience I guess.

6. cafe says:

I’m not a huge fan of finishing moves in shooters but they look quick enough to be a sort of melee attack. As long as it stays optional to kill the enemies in this way instead of just shooting them I have no problem with it. This doesn’t seem to be the case with the big guy tho since he goes to his knees after being shot which kind of worries me….

• Snidesworth says:

I’m guessing that it’s an opportunity to get bonus points rather than something mandatory. If you don’t rip his face off he’ll keel over dead or get back up, requiring a little more firepower to put down permanently.

The Sombrero Kid says:

More Craig pls, more scottish people in general :P we know best.

Klatu says:

I wholeheartedly concur, Irn Bru and Tunnocks tea cakes for all to celebrate the return of the Great Bearded One.

8. Squishpoke says:

Glorious. Simply glorious.

9. Raiyan 1.0 says:

First Person Smooching.

10. MadTinkerer says:

Ohohoho! Very nice. I wonder if they’ll include Hippy and Kid Mode style fatalities as well, or if they’re leaving those modes out this time.

Crimsoneer says:

Craig’s alive! Wehey!

c-Row says:

Press ‘Square’ to kiss monster

13. yhalothar says:

This game is much more reminiscent of Duke Nukem than the actual DN Forever. Which is sad, considering it was supposed to be a spoof of the Duke in the first place.

14. MortiZ says:

The “Horde” mode in Serious Sam 3: BFE is called Serious Sam 3: BFE.

15. screeg says:

what is a Chancer?

16. DeanLearner says:

IM GONNA RIP OFF YOUR HEAD and kiss you tenderly on the lips.

17. Shooop says:

This pleases me.

18. Urthman says:

I don’t suppose there’s a hippie mode where you pull a cantelope out of the gnarr’s head, causing bright flowers to fly everywhere?

I hate gory games, but I loved the original Serious Sam. There’s nothing about the core arcade-style frantic action feeling gameplay that requires or even benefits from spraying blood and gore all over it. I guess that’s what you kids like these days.

• buzzmong says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Hippie Mode is still present in Sam3, it’s been in the last two games. It’s amusingly absurd seeing rainbow blood and flowers for gibs.

• Urthman says:

They left it out of the HD remakes.

• Urthman says:

Ha! I’m an idiot! I only have the Second Encounter HD, Steam version, and I hadn’t played a lot of it, but somehow I missed the hippie mode. I think I must’ve looked for it under graphics options instead of game settings.

Sure enough, there it is, looking more hilarious than ever. Thanks, Pleasing Fungus!

19. DogHat says:

In my head, the BFE stands for Big Fuckin’ Everything.

20. Bfox says:

Did they just get really inspired by that Doom brutal mod?

21. hobblinharry says:

This is what Duke Nukem Forever should have been.

22. JackDandy says:

Reminds me of the Brutal Doom’s finishers. Awesome.

Can’t wait to play this.

23. PJMendes says:

The RPS reader hivemind welcomes the new wannabe. It may continue.