Falling For You: Aaaaa! 2-ish

By Craig Pearson on November 8th, 2011 at 2:40 pm.

Base-jumping was originally invented in 1781 as a way of allowing climbers to travel without hair-dryers, the hair-dryer having been invented the previous year. They’d just take a wet-headed leap off whatever they were on by the time they hit the bottom they’d be dry but sadly dead. Two years later the parachute was invented. Capitalising on this soon to be hip new craze is AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! for the Awesome, semi sequel to AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! – A Reckless Disregard for Gravity.

Yeah, ‘semi’. It’s not entirely new: it includes all 81 of the original’s levels for you to drop through, with an additional 43 built for more advanced plummeteers. Additional locales and some polish to the engine boost the package a bit. You’ll be deploying chutes in Earth orbit and on Ganymede.

I tried two of the new levels out, as I am obviously well-versed in the medium of falling down: the nastier of the pair threw me down a long, packed, narrow corridor with rotating blades and sliding panels. As with the original, you score by flying as close to things without breaking limbs or losing any teeth, and with the shifting backdrop and tight spaces it asks a lot of you. I managed it, because I’m ace, but these are particularly mean. Even the easier level places points tokens between narrow gaps that are easy to clip on the hunt for plummeting perfection. To compensate, the wingsuit is a bit speedier to react to player’s proddings, allowing for swift aerial re-calibration.

It’ll be out in a month, and developers Dejobaan have a competition running right now: help them name a level to win dangerous things.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. TomxJ says:

AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAAmazing! This Game wakes me up on a hungover Sunday morning like a triple espresso shot to eyeball! could do with some more jumps!

• dejobaan says:

Oh, yeah. I like it! Maybe we should add espresso eyeball shot to the game.

2. bear912 says:

AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAAre we going to get a Wot I Think one day?

3. Baka says:

Bless you.

4. mouton says:

Heh, played the demo of the first game and liked it. Sadly, after buying it i quickly realized how thin the illusion of falling was and that the game is little more than an arcade corridor flight from the early nineties. Not that it is a bad thing, but not worth the money for me.

• dejobaan says:

It’s not everyone’s cup-of-tea, but I hope this semi-sequel will get people’s blood pumping. We made it faster, harder, and, well… hopefully better.

• Marcin says:

That’s where I ended up after the demo as well. I’m not sure if it needed more inertia or what, but it just didn’t really feel like falling.

I’ll be trying the demo for this one too though, since I’m definitely interested in the concept. Grappling to high buildings and parachuting/freefalling down in inventive ways is how I spent 60% of my time in Just Cause 2.

• BitLooter says:

You say you’ve made it harder, faster, and better, but that only matters if it’s stronger as well.

5. Dyst says:

Is there an upgrade version available? I already have Aaaaah and quite like it, but am not really prepared to shell out the full price for a package that I already mostly own.

• dejobaan says:

I do believe that Steam will be offering a discount to folks who have played the original!

• Daniel Is I says:

Not sure about those who don’t own it, but it’s available for $1.99 for me, which doesn’t SEEM discounted. But hey, it could be $5 for all I know. What I’m really confused on is that I just own the base game, but when I go to the DLC page it says I already own it.

In short, I can’t tell if it’s full price, discounted, or free to those who own the base.

I’m hoping for at least the second, if not the last. I long for an age where all developers do the Valve thing to do and just add on without expecting consumers to pay more. Not discrediting Dejobaan or anything, just saying that Valve kind of gets you hooked on free DLC as a nice thing compared to all those $5 skin packs and what not. I know it’s unrealistic for both indies (Due to costs) and bigger developers (Due to greed) to do this, but that doesn’t make me wish for it less.

It’s like Valve has their own fleet of personal Jetpacks that they let visitors ride for free while everyone else charges.

6. LimEJET says:

Ugh, I hate this game so much. Not only is it bland, the dev is so incredibly pretentious it’s not even funny.

• dejobaan says:

Oof. I guess not everyone can be a fan — in fact, some folks hate us. It still hurts, because we generally try to be friendly, doofy guys rather than being stuffy and serious. :)

• LTK says:

Haha. Would a pretentious developer have replied to this comment at all?

• Xan says:

Elaborate on the pretentious?

• Dominic White says:

I’d say this is one of the least pretentious games ever made. It’s a silly game about jumping off buildings and scoring points before you land. And… that’s all you get. There’s no high concept here, no philosophical musings, no examinations on the meaning of life. You just jump off buildings and score points.

‘Pretentious’ has lost all meaning. I say we just shoot anyone using the word to complain about a game.

• sneetch says:

Every now and then someone uses a word that I’m absolutely positive I know in a strange fashion and I doubt myself, maybe I’m wrong, maybe it’s a common usage that I don’t know, so I look them up:

pre·ten·tious/priˈtenCHəs/
      Adjective:
      Attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

Yeah, that’s what I thought it meant. I don’t know how the dev can be accused of being “pretentious”, especially not “so incredibly pretentious it’s not even funny”, how are they so pretentious that they’ve removed the funny (assuming the funny was there to begin with, that is)? It’s like when I see people accusing devs of being “arrogant” when (I believe) the accuser just dislikes the dev for some random snippet on some random site.

• MrBRAD! says:

Ugh, I hate this comment so much. Not only is it ludicrous, the troll is so incredibly obvious it’s not even funny.

Anybody that doesn’t truthfully love Dejobaan is so psychologically broken that their opinion means nothing anyway.

• Urthman says:

You have no idea what the word “pretentious” means, do you, LimEJET?

• Dances to Podcasts says:

My question is always ‘What are they pretending to be, then?’

• InternetBatman says:

They’re not pretentious at all. They don’t pretend that they made a game of great culture or meaning, and there’s no affect there. It is just a good game that’s almost entirely gameplay with some dumb jokes from the developer. I don’t even know how you could get that vibe since there’s virtually no writing, the voiceovers are randomized and skippable, and the art is usually angular and functional instead of gaudy.

7. Inglourious Badger says:

AaaAaaAaAAAAAaaaaaaaAAAAAI think the new backgrounds look nice, but r we getting much more than that? Come on proper sequel!

• dejobaan says:

I have to be careful not to oversell this one — we re-created the entire game from the ground up as more of a gold version than a sequel. New, faster levels, Mac support, and so forth. I’m not sure where we’d go with a proper sequel, but I’d love to hear any thoughts along those lines.

• arccos says:

Well, I’m not sure how much of a physics engine you have, but a first-person Angry Birds game would be… smashing!

*Eyebrow raise*

Wot goes down must come up, eh? Like zombies?

• Inglourious Badger says:

Wow, ok cool. Where else but RPS do game devs come and ask what you want from a sequel in a comments thread!

I genuinely like the backgrounds, it’s a great to feel you’re falling towards something not just through the Ether. I think what I would want in a sequel is bigger levels with multiple paths and racing against other players /AI. Sure racing is a bit tricky if you’re all falling at 1g but maybe hitting objects could just slow you down or reduce your health initially whilst you all battle for supremecy of the sky.

Oooh and how about a mode where you carry a…i don’t know, tasty sandwich… and everyone else tries to nick it from you as you fall.

On second thoughts you probably know best!

Wonderful game though, will try this ‘gold’ version. I look forward to your next endeavour whatever that may be. I assume the design process involves brainstorming the best name possible and building a game around that amirite?

• rapchee says:

aHAaHaaaha snaaaAAaaAAAaatch the sammitch!

8. RickyButler says:

I really enjoyed the first one, but this seems like a shallow choice for them to make, especially after the just made a series of similarly shallow choices with 1…2…3…Kick It! which lies on Steam, forever an unfinished, terrible beta.

• dejobaan says:

Yeah, Ugly Baby is like an albatross around my neck right now. I spend many a 3AM hacking away at it and going, “why won’t this design work!?” I swear at it a lot. It seems so simple, yet it hasn’t evolved into the game I was hoping. But I’ll keep at it until it does — I think that folks will say it’s worth the wait, once it’s finished.

• elfbarf says:

I’m not sure if it’s been changed at all since (I haven’t had any desire to try it again), but has 1…2…3…Kick It had any sort of improvements since the whole Potato Sack deal? I remember having to play it a bit to earn a few potatoes and I don’t think I’ll ever forget how frustrating it was.

• dejobaan says:

My goal was to make that difficult in a fun way, but I do believe that I made it just punishing, instead. Sorry about that. :( Anyway, you can follow the latest interspersed with other news at http://dejobaan.com/news. We’re experimenting with new enemies (http://dejobaan.com/the-enemies-of-ugly-baby-pretty-babies-also-ichiros-tour-schedule) and so forth. I’d ultimately like to make it enjoyable and not punitive.

• Veracity says:

I’d guess 1…2…3… has at least two major problems. One is that it has to distinguish itself sufficiently from Aaaaaa, which can’t be easy when it’s a game about flying down a tube hitting and nearly hitting stuff. The other is that I’m not sure procedural rhythm games can work convincingly – Audiosurf kind of gets there, at least sometimes and on mono, but I haven’t seen anything else pull it off. I don’t think you can match the coherence of something choreographed like Bit.Trip Runner or Space Channel 5, and without that you don’t have much of a rhythm game.

Initial interest in more Recklessly Disregarding was tentative based on already owning most of it in a version I’m quite happy with (doubtful about faster being better, though quicker path adjustment will probably compensate), but increases with news of possible discount for having the original. Jamestown has incoming DLC, too, though, which is probably getting priority.

9. JakeOfRavenclaw says:

Good stuff! I had a lot of fun with the original. As long as you’re here, dejobaan, can you tell us if the level unlocking process will be modified? I spent all my teeth trying to get to that super-expense block (the one that unlocks a weird monologue about…well, I don’t really remember now, but I think 4chan was mentioned at some point) and never wound up unlocking many of the levels because I got sick of grinding the ones I had already beaten.

• dejobaan says:

I’ll put in a note to fix that; I think we can make the levels much more rewarding, so that you don’t have to play them 5 times over.

• RobF says:

Yeah, that’d be ace. I reached a point where I’d sort of hit a natural skill ceiling on some stages and it was more of a chore to unlock stuff than it should have been so I’ve got blocks of levels I’ll never see.

Mind you, by that point, I’d milked a fair bit of fun out the game so it’s not like it shat on it or anything.

• Manburger says:

Oh hey, if you’re still here, I was wondering: I saw you mentioned that people who already have AaaaaA on Steam will get a discount, but I bought the game directly from you guys and it’s just chillin’ out on my harddrive. Can I still get a discount?
      Anyway, I like AaaaaAaaa a lot, AAAAaaaAAAand I love what you at dejobaan are doing, keep up the tasty work!

• dejobaan says:

@Manburger Yes! Valve’s promised us a discount for fans, which makes me happy.

10. Film11 says:

Looking good. I love that they’ve chosen to use Unity, it’ll enable some serious graphical improvements with relatively little effort. Also looking forward to the new levels, hopefully they’re not as hard as the ones included in the DLC pack. I don’t think I ever got past the first one.

Still a bit miffed about dodgy fake ad poll though. I had the highest number (about 17 or so) of votes at the very specific closing time. Check again later and suddenly the last option has had about 60 votes out of nowhere and the poll is closed. It is a mystery, but I suspect corruption!

• dejobaan says:

Yeah, the levels will be faster (and hopefully more fun) without being nearly as punishing. I don’t want to kill anyone (again).

As for the poll, I wonder if someone stuffed the ballot box? We keyed by IP, but there are some shifty characters out there…

• Film11 says:

Fair enough then. As long as some levels are named after me in the game, I may not have to send my super happy fun brigade (the name is misleading) around to your offices to exact super happy fun times.

11. Jetsetlemming says:

AaAAaAa was great as long as you didn’t try to play more than a couple levels per sitting, kinda like an old arcade game.

Also I think the obvious route for a sequel would be to give the players more control over themselves. For example, limited use (recharging bar on them maybe) air breaks and jets that slow you down or speed you up, and goals in the levels that are effected by speed, like time bonus plates near the end of levels that are worth less the longer it takes you to get to them, or reinforced plates that take a high speed to break through, otherwise you crush against them. Maybe have floating powerups that aren’t worth points but do other stuff, kinda like the existing speed up/slow down/teleport up a bit/etc plates. Stuff like instantly refilling your ability fuel, or bullet time, or time limited x-ray vision to see plates through buildings.

Edit: Oh, and I wanted to say that the extra levels from the Portal 2 prerelease event were the best of the game. Absolutely fantastic. More like those please!

• Urthman says:

Yeah, AaaaA is the perfect game to just pick up and drop through a few levels now and then.

And I have to say revisiting the game was the most fun I had during the whole potato sack thing (well, maybe tied with that new Defense Grid level).

12. Treymoney says:

I love AaAaa! I believe I was the first to discover the beginning Aperture Science Login Screen for it during the Portal 2 ARG. I’m excited for the new update!

13. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

It was a good game, but….can we get another wonderful end of the world? I just had so much fun with the previous one. AND IN THE GAME.

• InternetBatman says:

I agree with this. I was really, really pleasantly surprised by Wonderful End of the World. The music was cool, the levels were neat (if a bit buggy when you got huge), and the gameplay was just fun. I really just wanted more by the end of it.

If anyone hasn’t played it I would recommend trying it.

• rapchee says:

strictly pc players, eh? :)
      the rest of the world has katamari damacy
      although there is no new one of that either for a while now

14. InternetBatman says:

I love the game. The title’s a bit silly and makes it somewhat hard to talk about with your friends, but the game itself is a pure adrenaline rush. I really like to pick it up for two or three levels and then put it down. It’s a wonderful game.

15. westyfield says:

AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA-plus rating for Dejobaan, those guys are awesome.

16. wu wei says:

it hasn’t evolved into the game I was hoping

But until then you’re happy to continue collecting cash via sales while working on something else?

I think even more annoying than wasting money on something stuck in design hell is the fact that Kick It! was accepted and is still available for sale on Steam while titles like Armageddon Empires were rejected.

• dejobaan says:

I can’t talk on which games should or shouldn’t be on Steam, but I can keep working on Ugly Baby until it’s done and good. We’ll keep at it until it’s something we’re proud of.

Comment on this story