The Wager 1.2 Is Out, And You Should Play It

By John Walker on November 8th, 2011 at 11:53 pm.

If you don't play this, that angry man will stare at you longer.

Splendid pirates-em-up The Wager has now officially released its version 1.2, that I somewhat prematurely wrote about on Monday. So you should definitely get it. Because it’s brills. And free. And I’ve some hints on their next game, The Archive. It will apparently “draw on roguelike” with randomly generated elements that are reminiscent of games like Spelunky and The Binding Of Isaac. “Except in space! With lasers!” There are more details on Surprised Man’s podcast. That’s still a year off, but in the meantime, for goodness sakes play the very enjoyable The Wager. Because I said so.

, , , , , .

bear912 says:

I don’t know. Downloading it seems like kind of a gamble…

2. lordfrikk says:

Amazing game, have been playing it for the past two hours. Could definitely see the game benefiting from more updates, since the interaction between various items and events is great. Perhaps including some small bonuses or features to the achievemnts?

Anyway, this game reminds me a lot of Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space and it’s prequel Strange Adventures in Infinite Space. Incredible replayability and one game can take from 30-60 minutes. The first one is freeware. While the second one is superior, its price tag is tad high, unfortunately…

• SurprisedMan says:

Thanks for that! These sorts of comments make Kieran and I feel all warm and fuzzy.

Weird Worlds is definitely a game that we drew some inspiration from, as well as Blendo Games’ Flotilla. We actually agree that The Wager could be expanded upon further, but for the time being we’re sticking a fork in this one. If/when we return to the concept we imagine it will be in a considerably revised and updated form, probably built from scratch and once we have the experience of a few more games under our belt.

3. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

it’s amazing, the kind of free games you get these days. wonderfully polished one-offs like the sharply named Roadeo, recently Stealth Bastard and now this.

Why do i even pay AT ALL?

4. MythArcana says:

It’s all about Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup for me until something comes along with deeper game play (Skyrim included). But…there’s always room for one more – as long as it is *truly* free. I’m getting tired of these “free” games which usually lure you into MT or some other lame trendy consumer trap. Lately, I’m starting to only download and play OPEN SOURCE games ’cause there are a few which are ten times better than most of these AAA titles that are flopping left and right. Skyrim included.

• Neonrabbit says:

I’m loving Simutrans and there’s nothing comparable anywhere. Dungeon Crawl Soup is delicious. Wesnoth is quite worth it’s price. And Dwarf Fortress is the deepest game there is. Open source games are great… Especially simutrans (mmm spreadsheets).

Harlander says:

Wesnoth is quite worth its price.

Is that really a compliment when you’re talking about free things?

• Pemptus says:

@Neonrabbit
      I’m ashamed to say it’s the first time I’ve heard of Simutrans. It looks quite similar to OpenTTD from the screenshots. Any notable differences?

• zeroskill says:

Not a big fan of Crawl, you should try Cataclysm and Dwarf Fortress if you are looking for something with deep game play. Cataclysm is quite unstable at this point tho, and has some technical issues, but both games are alphas and open source and offer much deeper game play then Crawl imho.

• blankname says:

Dwarf Fortress is not open source.

• zeroskill says:

Yeah you are right, Dwarf Fortress isnt open source, even tho I was sure reading something about the linux version of the game going open source at some point. But Dwarf Fortress sports a rather large modding scene and supports all kinds of mods.

Shar_ds says:

Downloaded Simutrans from the reference here… it is very TTD.. however, I’ve just built a canal system linking a set of sheep farms to a textile mill supplying a major town. My canal boats are currently being pulled by horse teams!!

Oh, those dark satanic mills….

5. Tacroy says:

Man, does anyone have any tips for playing the game? The other dude keeps on beating me, and I have no idea how he makes money so fast :(

• SurprisedMan says:

I bet that shopkeeper has some useful things to say…

6. Beelzebud says:

What a cool game!

7. Tams80 says:

Well, I now have a fowl (sorry foul) mouthed parrot called *removed due to spoiler*. I now love this game.

Loving the music as well.

• adonf says:

Speaking of spoilers: a shot of the winning screen is on the main site. What were they thinking of? ;)

Great news though, and just when I was wondering how low my productivity could get.

edit: added winking smiley to indicate irony

• SurprisedMan says:

You’re actually the first person to mention that. We’ll remove it if it bothers enough people, but since this is a 20 minute game designed to be re-played to see different events and outcomes, we sort of see it like putting a screenshot up of the Win/Lose screen of solitaire. :)

• adonf says:

It doesn’t bother me at all, I was just being silly. Actually I never beat the game so I was happy to see it.

8. brulleks says:

Played for half an hour and was really enjoying it. Then kept getting an access violation which crashed the game. Happens everytime I reload the save. Will try starting from scratch.

Hope it’s not going to be a recurring error as I love what I’ve seen so far.

• SurprisedMan says:

Do send us the details via the contact form on our website if you keep getting problems – this is a new one on us. :)

• The Tupper says:

I appear to be getting a similar issue. I’ll email you via the contact page with details from the error log. Hope it helps.

• brulleks says:

Cheers, will do. Hopefully will have time tonight to give it another go.

• SurprisedMan says:

I’ve had a look and had some more reports and yup. There does seem to be a wee problem with crashes in certain circumstances. We’re looking into this, but for now, as a temporary solution, it looks as if keeping away from the edges of the play area helps to prevent the problem happening. Not ideal obviously, but hopefully we’ll have a better solution once we’ve investigated. Bit of a weirdy one, this.

• SurprisedMan says:

Don’t know if anyone’s still checking this but we just release an update to fix the problems some have been having.

If you re-download the installer and re-install it, you should be good, now. Thanks to everyone who helped by sending in their debugging info!

9. templar34 says:

Just reading the EULA is worth the download alone.

10. jfgj@h says:

TOP SEX films that you will like them very much,free shippin inhttp://snipr.com/2b3pzz

11. terry says:

This game is still splendid.

12. The Tupper says:

I played the last version so much the music is ingrained. Loving the new one.

Back in the stone age I would copy 8-bit BASIC programs from computer magazines (laboriously) into my various CBMs. ‘Wager’ reminds me of how I imagined they would look upon completion, except they were, without exception, shit.

13. greenbananas says:

Brilliant little game, this. One thing I’ll say is that medium difficulty seems to be all over the place, sometimes Marwood’ll finish with 50k-60k, other times he’ll end up in the 90k-120k region (which I haven’t managed to reach once).

But what a treat. Good job, Surprised Man, hope you’ll revisit this gametype (rack up points in a set number of turns) in the future.

• SurprisedMan says:

50-60k? 100k? Really? On medium? Are you positive? I don’t want to doubt you but it should be pretty much impossible for him to make more than about 40k on medium, with most of the time the amount falling between 34k-36k. Do you have a screenshot of this madness, or could you get one?

• greenbananas says:

Oh, but of course, good sir!

Luckily, I’d saved one such playthrough, so here is the save state, if it helps.

You’re half way through August. If you get a spy and sail around for a bit, he’ll let you know Marwood has around 75k at the start of September. At the end of the year, it looked like this:

Hope this helps.

• SurprisedMan says:

Hello again. Don’t know if you’re still following this, but I’ve had a look. And I’m baffled.

Interestingly, I played from your save game and when I was playing, he didn’t make as much money from the point where I picked up the save. If you’re reading this, can you get in touch via the form on our website, and I’ll have a few suggestions

14. cptgone says:

gave it a whirl, and enjoyed it very much.