Alsoquest: Everquest II Goes F2P

By Alec Meer on November 10th, 2011 at 8:26 pm.

Apparently I wrote about this in December, which I don't even slightly remember doing

Right then, what’s left? Everquest 1, Ultima Online, World of Warcraft, Warhammer Online, Lineage… What else yet stands firm against the free to play tide? The latest to switch is SOE’s 2004-launched Everquest II, which will offer itself to the microtransaction gods next month.

It’s dabbled before with a F2P parallel client, with but as of the Age of Discovery expansion free-to-play will be active on every one of its servers. It’ll retain subscriptions and expansion packs for those who want to stick to the old ways, however. Full details on exactly how it all works are in this Massively post; apologies for not summarising here, but I’m still a zombie after power-playing Skyrim. Also, I want to go and play some more Skyrim.

, , .

1. MonolithicTentacledAbomination says:

FFXI still stubbornly remains subscription based. I quit back in 2007, and I’d love to look back in, but at $15 a month, forget it.

• cosmicolor says:

If it makes you feel any better FFXIV supposedly hasn’t gone sub-based… yet.

• Hoaxfish says:

Well, FF14 was basically completely free after release because it was such a mess… not sure if they’ve rescinded that now, and with that redo coming next year, I’m not sure if it’s basically “dead” (with the redo being basically FF14-2: FF harder)

• MonolithicTentacledAbomination says:

FFXIV is also reputed to be a massive charlie-foxtrot all around, and from the start was never going to be a successor to FFXI, which for all its faults, was a very good game.

2. Hoaxfish says:

Isn’t SWTor coming out as subscription… It’s not out yet, but it’s obviously going to be heading in this direction.

Eve Online has subs… but then you can also trade subscriptions from in-game.

WoW has that “F2P in low levels” thing it recently switched to.

• db1331 says:

I can see SWTOR going F2P sometime next year, and giving everyone who paid for the game some kind of vanity pet or something.

3. Raiyan 1.0 says:

How is this free-to-play? I still need to pay for my electricity bill and internet. This misleading ad campaign enrages me!

4. nimzy says:

A journal! A journal I say!

5. WPUN says:

You failed to mention Dark Age of Camelot… but it’s OK. It’s looking like both DAoC and Warhammer Online will be inexorably moving to F2P after SWKotOR has a couple of patches under their belt, baldric, holster, whatever…

• Reikon says:

They also neglected to mention one of the original big three MMOs, Asheron’s Call.

I miss the days when MMOs weren’t about going to the next exclamation point.

• Berzee says:

Reikon gets the Mentioned-Asheron’s-Call award! =)

6. Maxheadroom says:

I had fond memories of EQ2, Played the first one for yonks and when the 2nd one came out it was an instant buy.

Unfortunatly I joined the WoW crowd with all the other sheep, but went back to it when that F2P spin off came out – and couldnt believe how much it had aged! Really, it looks and plays worse than those generic browser mmo’s you see advertised all over the shop. I was so disapointed :(

7. sogeking99 says:

I thought I was already playing Everquest F2P? Whats going on here?

8. Ranger33 says:

I remember being a total fanboy for this game when it went head to head with WoW. My whole guild switched over but I stuck it out with EQ2 for a couple more months before giving up on MMO’s. Never tried WoW. Probably the best thing that could have happened.

9. Joof says:

Rift is still P2P.

10. Dimitar Slavov says:

Was about time.The next big thing, maybe Aion ?

11. Harlander says:

Free-to-play Ultima Online, you say?

What they should do is license the server software. There’s a bunch of server emulators out there, but I bet they could make money letting people host their own miniature version of the real thing…

12. adonf says:

This one passed way under my radar, probably because I hated EQ. does it fix the main problems with EQ (no quest logs, no quest levels, broken quests) or is it the same with better graphics ?