Another Game Of Game Of Thrones: Screens

By John Walker on November 10th, 2011 at 9:32 am.

I'm sorry, I'm in HOW many games?

How’s your Game Of Thrones game coming along? Everyone’s making one at the moment. Mine’s doing nicely – it’s a sort of driving game/match-3 hybrid, set north of the Wall. It should be ready some time in 2013. Game Of Thrones: Genesis is already out (and a bit poop), and then there’s the somewhat trademark infringing Khan Wars: Game Of Thrones, which just happens to show up on Google searches for the licensed versions. Anyhowever, the news is that Cynanide’s other GoT game, the RPG, has a North American publisher in the form of Atlus, and with that have come some more details and a couple of screens.

(Oh good grief, as I’m writing this, we find there’s to be a Game Of Thrones MMO from Bigpoint, and a Game Of Thrones social networking game too, hideously described as “FarmVille comes to Westeros.”)

The RPG aims to be over 30 hours long, with the original story “written under the supervision of Martin”. Whatever that might mean. You’ll be able to choose between one of two playable characters, who apparently will approach the game in starkly (geddit?) different ways. They’re promising lots of proper interaction with major characters from the series, and exploration of known locations, as well as your decisions having an impact on the war for the Seven Kingdoms and the future of Westeros.

And there’s something called the “active slowdown tactical combat engine”, which they call “innovative”, but sounds like it means instead of pausing the game, it just slows down a lot while you issue orders. That’s all we know just now. But there are four new screenshots to look at. Look at them.

, , , , .

1. Stevostin says:

Charcters look good.

• DigitalSignalX says:

Backgrounds look good too, hopefully those are in-engine shots. I like the TV series (so far) and plan on reading the books soon.

• westyfield says:

I was gonna say that, I recognised Lord Commander Mormont before I enlarged the screenshot to see his name.

Smashbox says:

The thing wot I want: Beric Dondarrion RPG. Just that. I’ll pay a lot.

• Axez D. Nyde says:

The thing wot I want: Beric Dondarrion RPG. Just that. I’ll pay a lot.

Now what is THAT going to be about?
      “Hey Thoros I lost my head again! Care to kiss me back to life once more?”

• Caleb367 says:

Hell yes the Old Bear looks nice.

stahlwerk says:

Games of Throne!

3. fionny says:

Dear Cyanide,

Ruin this and you will be required to suffer.

Kthxbye.

Cinek says:

Innovative combat system? Hm… Smells like a cheap copy of The Witcher 2 system.
    They missed the RPG of the Year when checking if their innovation is innovative? Shame.

5. Baboonanza says:

I’m making a QWOP style Game of Thrones rape simulator that takes the player through every rape mentioned in the series. It’s about 100 hours long, not including side-rapes.

• atticus says:

Interesting!

Will the rapes of relatives be included in this release, or will it be available as DLC?

“Game of Rapes: Incest Pack”. Now available for only $5,99.

Steam sale: All games of Sexual Misconduct, 50% off.

• Hoaxfish says:

now, if I’ve got this right, they’d name it QWTOP

• Baboonanza says:

‘now, if I’ve got this right, they’d name it QWTOP’
      Excellent :)

• Orija says:

• atticus says:

It will be played from the perspective of The Mountain, and it will be the most gruesome game to ever be made.

• Baboonanza says:

‘I don’t remember there being many rapes in the series, at least not the ones that occurred in the presence of any POV characters.’

I’m near the end of the second book, so I can’t speak for the rest of the books, and while there may not be any from the POV of the main protagonists there seems to be some mention of a rape or gang-rape in pretty much every chapter. Frankly I’m a bit worried about the author.

• Caleb367 says:

Needs moar Street Fighter mods.
      Gregor Clegane vs Tyrion Lannister.

6. atticus says:

And in todays lecture on how to anger the internets: Associate ‘GAMENAME’ with ‘FarmVille’.

Guess the TV-series really REALLY set the franchise on fire commercially then. Good news for mr. Martins bank account at least.

Stay tuned for teenagers with direwolf t-shirts.

7. Sam Crisp says:

I hope this will be good.
    Is there any chance this will be good?

• mike2R says:

My understanding of cosmology suggests there is a universe somewhere where it will be good.

8. Dariune says:

I loved Game of Thrones until i got to the middle of book four. Then i stopped reading due to my issues with the book. Pathetic? Yes i am!

I hope this game is good. Its peaked my interest but the Strategy game seemed to be a bit of a flop. (And i might be sick of Game of Thrones by the time this comes out.)

Bluerps says:

‘[...] with the original story “written under the supervision of Martin”. Whatever that might mean.’

It means that the game won’t come out before 2018, because the story doesn’t get finished until then.

10. Vexing Vision says:

Well… they can’t do proper turn-based strategy titles (Bloodbowl became better the more Cyanide went away from their own innovations and focussed on the original rules).

They can’t do interesting RTS (as shown by the general reception of the Game Of Thrones RTS – great ideas, sloppy execution).

They can’t do good UI (again, Blood Bowl…..)

So. Let’s see if they can do a RPG! That “innovative, never seen before combat system” DOES sound awfully like Witcher 2….

11. SiHy_ says:

How many games could a game of thrones throne if a game of thrones could throne games?

12. Bobsy says:

Game of Groans.
    Game of Moans.
    Game of Loans.
    Game of Bones.
    Game of Cones (driving instructor sim)
    Game of Phones.

• atticus says:

You forgot “Game of Clones”. It’s George Lucas’ version of the Game of Thrones-saga, the complete story reimagined in the style of the Star Wars prequels.

Jar-Jar Binks will be the whoremongering son from the vicious house of Gungan, disowned by his poweful father.

• iucounu says:

Banished to the Wall. “Meesa the sword in the darkness!”

13. Ross Angus says:

Grumpy men in armor rating: 10.

14. Kleppy says:

Yes but will you get to roleplay Dany spending 10 years avoiding any plot or character development?

Also, must needs leal many colored lemoncakes.

15. Dawngreeter says:

Technically, the title is A Game of Thrones, so the news title should be “Another Game of A Game of Thrones”. Which is a lot weirder and ,thus, better.

It’s a blast when you read the A Game of Thrones boardgame rulebook and keep running into phrases containing “the A Game of Thrones” a lot.

• Werthead says:

Originally it was A GAME OF THRONES: THE RPG, but then it turned into an official adaptation of the HBO series, so apparently the game will now be called GAME OF THRONES: THE RPG (or some derivation of), without the ‘A’. Apparently the presence or absence of the ‘A’ is vital (from a lawyer’s POV) as it determines whether the game is an adaptation of the TV series or books, and whether you should be sued by Time Warner (the owners of HBO) or News International (the owners of Martin’s UK publishers) :-)

16. Dances to Podcasts says:

If it’s a known location, is it still exploring?

17. MuscleHorse says:

Hopefully this sticks to the books, where it feels like historical fiction, and stays away from the show, that being Harry Potter with tits.

• bill says:

You mean with the dragons, flaming swords, white walkers, unkillable dudes and zombie-ladies?

though, despite all that, the books did manage to feel pretty historical…. i think the problem for the tv show is mainly one of budget for the more magical elements.

18. bill says:

That sure does look like that actor, whatshisname…

19. AyeGill says:

I read it as Active Showdown Tactical Combat Engine, which sounded badass as hell

PeopleLikeFrank says:

“FarmVille comes to Westeros.”

Oh goody.

“(YourFriend’sName) just got a cow on their farm!”
    “(YourFriend’sName) just harvested a bushel of Carrots!”
    “(YourFriend’sName) just had their barn put to the torch by roving bands of (HouseName) soldiers!”
    “(YourFriend’sName) is struggling to rebuild”
    “(YourFriend’sName) just had their daughters raped in front of them by (KnightName)!”
    “(YourFriend’sName) just had their remaining harvest confiscated by (KnightName)”
    “(YourFriend’sName) had their hand cut off for attempting to intervene!”
    “(YourFriend’sName) has been reduced to eating rats”
    “(YourFriend’sName) has succumbed to their festering wounds.”

21. Axez D. Nyde says:

If only it were 03/15/2001 again and Gothic would be released as Gothic: Game of Thrones.

I’d be happy as a boy could be.

22. Betamax says:

A bear there was, a bear, a bear!