Gish Joins The Humble Voxatraon Bundle

By Craig Pearson on November 10th, 2011 at 2:16 pm.

Go on! It's for charity!

We’ve once again been dragged into our bitter feud with the game package the Humble Indie Bundle. We’ve already posted about the addition of The Binding Of Isaac and Blocks That Matter to the Voxatron package, and they’ve responded by adding Gish and Lexaloffle minigames to it in a futile attempt to make us look out-of-date. This is like the Cold War all over again. Consider this post RPS’s Cuban Missile Crisis. Your move, Bundle.

Gish is no stranger to the charitable gaming bundle: the angry tar-ball appeared in the original. The Lexaloffe minigames are a trio of tiny casual titles from from the Voxatron developer: Chocolate Castle is a sliding-puzzle game featuring choccy-eating creatures. Zen Puzzle Garden is all about raking an ornamental garden. Retro platformer Jasper’s Journeys puts you on a quest to rescue your kidnapped kitty. Voxatron has been updated as well, and here’s a trailer detailing it what they’ve just added.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. caddyB says:

Damn you RPS, I’ve resisted this iteration of humble bundle ( I had the other ones ) but I had to chip in for Gish. Oh well.

Only problem was I already have Binding of Isaac but that’s ok, I got enough worth out of that game to justify getting it again in the bundle.

• Simon Hawthorne says:

If you had the other Humble Bundles didn’t you already have Gish from the original…?

• caddyB says:

Was it on the original? OH SHI-

I must’ve forgotten, I got that one for World of Goo. I generally don’t play all the games I get from the bundle so =(

Oh well, not a big loss.

• wererogue says:

[Edit: beaten]
      But! Give Voxatron a try – some of the BBS levels are awesome. And I’m looking forward to trying out some of those other Lexaloffle games.

• caddyB says:

Zen Garden one is hard. It actually requires thinking, which is something I’m not very good at as evidenced by my mistake of buying gish twice now.

I’m enjoying Voxatron a lot as well.

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

>> I generally don’t play all the games I get from the bundle so =(

Makes you think, doesn’t it? DOESN’T IT??

2. King Toko says:

If you bought the bundle before do you get the new games added for free?

Actually nevermind I found out.

3. Zyrxil says:

I think I’ve owned Gish like 3 times now from different sources.

4. Frank says:

Like everyone else, I have plenty of Gish already. Glad to see the Lexaloffle back catalog, though; time to increase my payment.

5. Ondrej says:

I quite liked Gish, the soundtrack added to an already immersive athmosphere for me. I know I will come back and actually finish it one day.

6. Xocrates says:

By the way, word of advice when playing gish: Play on easy.

It’s exactly the same as normal except that if you run out of lives you won’t be tossed back up to 8 or so levels.

7. Zarunil says:

Yay, I haven’t tried Gish yet. Thanks for the heads up.

If RPS hadn’t posted about this, I wouldn’t had known Gish was now included. Shouldn’t people who already paid for the bundle get an e-mail, pigeon or something when it’s updated?

8. Dare_Wreck says:

Ugh… Gish, perhaps the one game that’s inexplicably (to me, at least) received just as much critical acclaim as the amount of loathing I have towards it. I find the controls absolutely atrocious and contrary to providing a fun experience (why can’t the jump button simply let you jump, gosh darn it?!!). Someone on the (now long down) Steam Forums put it best when they said the controls are like trying to move through wet cement. I’m only half-joking when I say that I wish I could take back a dollar or two from my Humble Bundle contribution for having them add it (again) to one of their bundles.

• rayne117 says:

Finally someone who understands me.

The controls are just SO BAD. How can anyone play that game. I can’t even get past level 1-2 because there is that thing that sticks out and to get over it you have to hold left and up while doing the stick thing but oh wait you can’t actually move like that you have to tap the damn button or something.

It’s just all bad. And it’s not like I’m adverse to games with an odd learning curve, I played some Dwarf Fortress in my time.

• jamesgecko says:

Gish represents everything that is bad and awful about physics-centric games. The controls are strange and frustrating. Things never move quite the same way twice. The player character is a wimp.

I hated it.

But then, months later, I gave it a second chance. I fought my way through the morass, and suddenly found myself a ninja blob. I had momentum and style! I bounced off walls and blocks suspended in space by fragile elastic strings. I knew the time had come. I would beat the game.

Then I got to the fire levels. Before, there was forgiveness. Now there was only raw hate. The smallest of mistakes was punished severely. Everything I’d initially hated about the game came back. I couldn’t go on. I quit and purged the game from my hard disk.

I’m sure there’s a deep lesson about game design here, but the only thing that comes to mind is “If your controls are weird and frustrating, and you don’t have short levels or checkpoints, don’t try to make Super Meat Boy.” It doesn’t seem very applicable to the wider genre, though.

• bill says:

Totally agree. It’s the one indie game i really regret buying.
      Also, if you get stuck and ask for tips the community generally goes with “you’re a crap player and don’t understand the controls. they aren’t horrible – you just have to spend 3 years learning them”

Still, some people love it.

• Starky says:

I asked my friend (Scottish friend) about Gish before the first humble bundle (I now own it due to that) and his pithy reply was:

“Gish is Gash”

He was right.
      Again bloody awful controls made it unplayable for me (and I am pretty close to 100%’ing super meat boy, so I’m not afraid of a challenge in my platformers).

• MadTinkerer says:

Gish was a really neat experiment, but the difficulty wall should have been cushioned better. Or, y’know, made into an incline.

9. Lobotomist says:

Ok, now this is called : spoiling us :D

10. Agaetis181 says:

Jasper’s Journey is a solid platformer, and is worth the bundle alone. Gish is great, but I’ve played it so many times I don’t think I could play it again.
    Zen Garden, yeah screw that game.

11. Ninja Dodo says:

Gish is a damn good game. The jumping is an acquired taste to be sure, maybe could’ve been more forgiving (with canceling the jump if you time it wrong), but the controls overall once you learn them are so much fun to use. Mastering the movement was the game. Only one bit towards the end in the church-themed levels I could never work out how to do properly (with the U-shaped tunnels) so I never finished it…

Comment on this story