Prof Genki’s Super Ethical Reality Climax

By Craig Pearson on November 10th, 2011 at 11:20 am.

I'm not even going to attempt to explain this

My fingers are shaking I type this. I’m not sure exactly what I’m posting, other than it’s a surreal advert for Saint’s Row: The Third. I have a vague fear that it might be attempting to subliminally control me, but I feel fine so far. Anyway, I showed it to John and he demanded we share it with you. And that everyone buys 12 copies of Saint’s Row: The Third and gives all their possessions away to the New World Order.

According to Mr Walker, who has completed the game: “Prof Genki’s Ethical doodah is a game within the game, which is just about shooting at people in mascot costumes while avoiding shooting cardboard cutouts of pandas.” That doesn’t even begin to cover what you’re about to witness. Let me end in the manner of Crimewatch: “don’t have nightmares, do sleep well.”

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. ColdSpiral says:

I am certainly going to buy the game, but was not able to sit through the whole thing. It is truly horrifying, and the production values reflect a disre…

PRAISE GENKI.

2. pmouse says:

Genki girls

3. caddyB says:

What is this I don’t even

4. Icarus says:

The ‘What the crikey’ tag is well deserved here. What the sweet jebus have I just watched?

5. Coins says:

This is amazing. I wish more games did surreal stuff like this.

6. Maldomel says:

That game as come from a hum…looks weird, to a must-have.

Also: Praise Genki.

7. Roaring Panda says:

I pressed play then I woke up on the floor an hour later- not sure what happened but the chest is wet

8. Joseph-Sulphur says:

I feel sorry for the actors playing the audience.

• mouton says:

Hehe, thought the same. All those older people constantly reminding themselves that they will get paid. Then again, the just might be professionals who don’t care if they don’t get it.

9. Avish says:

oooooooooooo
    kkkkkkkkkkkkkk

I think I’ll go back to work now….

10. Fashigady says:

ohgodwhatamiwatching

11. Imperialles says:

Fairly classic Tim & Eric fare. I enjoyed Awesome Show, Great Job!, and I certainly enjoyed this as well.

• MisterT says:

how DARE you compare those mere mortals to the glory of professor Genki!

PRAISE GENKI!

• Somerled says:

It’s pretty watered down Tim & Eric. I guess they couldn’t go full mind rape.

12. sneetch says:

Pardon me, where do I apply to get my 12 minutes and 43 seconds back? Can I get my sanity back there too?

13. actionthom says:

Holy moley

14. Theoban says:

I have no idea what I just saw but I want some chicken right now. RIGHT NOW YOU HEAR ME

15. Tams80 says:

I’ve lost my SAAAANITY!

16. johnpeat says:

I have this image of the GTA team watching all this SR3 stuff and saying “Oh look – humour”…

Theirs is safely tucked-up in a shoebox under someone’s desk y’see – has been since GTA:VC was made – and that’s why I don’t give a shit about GTA and think this might be worth a punt (tho I’m still nervous about the quality of the PC version given that SR2 took about 2 years to be playable and even then, only when modders got involved).

• Icarus says:

They’ve announced that they’re doing the PC version in-house and have specific PC-only features like a replay studio and fancier graphics like god-rays, so there’s hope for this one I think.

• Orija says:

Nope, a dev confirmed anonymously that it would be outsourced as well as delayed.

• sneetch says:

I’m a anonymous dev and I’m anonymously announcing that it won’t be anonymously outsourced or anonymously delayed.

Yours anonymously,
      Anonymous Dev.

17. Gittun says:

I’m not sure this made me want to buy the game more or less… All I can say is that this made the world a more confusing place for sure. wtf.

18. StranaMente says:

What. Just. Happened.
    :-[ ]

19. sinister agent says:

I don’t understand. When did I become insane? I thought it was supposed to be a gradual thing. I was fine yesterday. I mean, I think I was fine yesterday. But today I am clearly insane.

I don’t understand.

20. HalNeinThousand says:

Am I the only one who’s getting a GTA 2 vibe from this?

21. faelnor says:

Super yawn. The harder the marketers of Saints Row 3 are trying to pass off as SUPER CRAZY BATSHIT INSANE©® , the less they manage to get my attention. Of course they understood this was what their target audience was interested in (“OH WHAT MAKES SAINTS ROW 2 A MISUNDERSTOOD GEM IS NOT THE UNEXCITING SIMILARITY WITH GTA IN GAMEPLAY DEVICES AND MISSIONS BUT THE SILLINESS OF THE WHOLE WORLD, IT’S ALL SO PREPOSTEROUS, LET’S ALL PRAISE IT IN THE EXACT SAME WAY BECAUSE WE ARE PC GAMERS”), but that does not a good game make.

Not that it will be bad. For what it’s worth, Saints Row 2 was pretty nice and Saints Row 3 will probably be too if the actual game doesn’t throw the CRAZINESS© in my face all the time like its adverts.

22. Teddy Leach says:

Reminds me of those sketches in the Fast Show.

23. TheBigBookOfTerror says:

Everytime I take my formally-known-as-Dog for a walk I shall sing “Tall Cat Parade”.

I don’t want to get shot by a chicken gun.

• Ed123 says:

It’s amazingly catchy. I was chanting it in the shower just now.

24. McDan says:

Have to appreciate all the work they’ve put in to the game and everything surrounding it. Ludicrous and brilliant.

25. DickSocrates says:

I watched it yesterday while on a mini SRTT information binge and initially thought it was going to be great, as I do like Tim and Eric’s Lynchian nightmare comedy. but it drags on way too long, isn’t that sharp, and is at odds with the source material Genki in the game is meant to be a wacky extreme Japanese style gameshow, but this thing isn’t at all like that, apart from having Japanese text at certain points. The ‘vibe’ is quite different from the game. No consequence crazy cartoon violence becomes sinister and unsettling, which is their trademark so I assume Volition knew what the results were likely to be.

It does, however, contain big melons and as a lascivious pervert, I extracted much enjoyment from that aspect.

26. Squishpoke says:

27. coldvvvave says:

Saints Row 3 looks like as if 4chan made a videogame.

28. Jabberwocky says:

If you put it on vinyl and play it backwards, it makes perfect sense.

drewski says:

Not gonna lie – clicked on this purely because it had the word “climax” in the title on the RSS feed.

30. Cinnamon says:

Can any Americans tell me if this is funny? I can’t always tell with American comedy.

• LintMan says:

Not to this American, anyway. I wanted to enjoy this, but it ran way way WAY too long and was trying FAR to hard to be wacky. If this was 30-60 seconds long, it might have worked better.

I pre-ordered SR3 based largely on expectations for the over-the-top gameplay, but this vid’s “trying too hard” makes me a bit worried for the game.

• archimandrite says:

It’s not comedy, it’s Dadaism.

• Cinnamon says:

So this is like a more commercially friendly version of a film about slicing eyeballs? I did notice when I think about it that the cartoon sequence was a reference to the intro sequence to monkey magic but that was a funny show, in English translation at least. Perhaps this is trying to make an artistic point about how all comedy is ultimately a degenerate form of human expression.

• Phantoon says:

Games aren’t art because Picasso never painted an Amiga.

So this conversation is silly. Also, I am the sky.

31. mod the world says:

Where is the partial nudity i was promised?

32. zeroskill says:

Hey THQ, useful internet advise incoming: Trying to create memes doesn’t work if you force it on people.

33. SpinX_911 says:

I am pretty sure my mind is screwed for the next couple of days. Curse my will to watch this.

34. Hmm-Hmm. says:

That was awful and not at all entertaining. Baffling, sure. But stupid.

Gundato says:

Wow. I think I just lost a few brain cells. Totally worth it.

And heads up, the THQ Store is actually a good choice to pre-order from (in the US, at least). Full price, but you get the “season pass” for free, which traditionally means most of the DLCs. So if you expect to buy the DLCs, that might be one of the best deals you will see for a year or so.

36. Shooop says:

There’s “trying too hard” and then there’s “what the fuck are you even trying to do?”

Guess which category this falls into.

37. demonarm says:

Disrespectful of Jimmy Savile.

38. BAshment says:

Great job!

39. PJMendes says:

Thanks to the nightmares created by this show, now I can spend my full nights awake playing SAINTS ROW 3 BUY NOW! Thanks Professor Genki!

40. Dys Does Dakka says:

…Oooooh-kay! This calls for a dose of:

-There; I feel better already.

41. Feralg says:

I…I think I have no recourse but to get this now. Odd, seeing as it tells me nothing about the game.

42. bfandreas says:

Uh.
    Hmmm!
    I’m…
    What?
    Perhaps?
    And much confusion was born to the citizens of Teh Intarwebz that day.
    TALL CAT PARADE!
    YAY!

43. Network Crayon says:

Yes, I enjoyed those!

44. sassy says:

well done video, you managed to get a single smirk from me with “get out of my condo”, for the rest of the video my face was as animated as that actors.

45. Muzman says:

Ok so clearly they have planned to ramp up the weirdness and duck charges of racism by making their strangely accurate parody of a Japanese gameshow without any Japanese people.
    That’s genius, I tell you.

46. slowly_over says:

Vic Reeves’ novelty island meets Mitchell and Webb’s post-holocaust quiz game. Presented by Jimmy Saville.

47. FunkyBadger3 says:

That’s Jimmy Fecking Saville.

48. JThomasAlbert says:

I’ve never been entertained by Tim & Eric. Their work just grates on my nerves. It’s like two office cut-ups decided to make a TV show because the boozed-up people at the office holiday party giggled at their antics.

It’s even more annoying when they have genuinely funny & talented performers on their show and suck all the funny and talent right out of them.

They’ve now managed to do the same with the Saint’s Row franchise.

49. Vinraith says:

Want to know how to ensure I’ll never buy your game? Connect it in any way to “Tim and Eric” or “Delocated.” Poor Adult Swim, what the hell happened to you guys? At least you’ve still got the Venture Brothers…