Rubik’s Magic: EVE Devs Explain Updates

By John Walker on November 10th, 2011 at 9:52 am.

Someone shave that man.

CCP have been releasing a series of videos explaining the technical side of EVE’s development of late. Certainly in need of some good PR at this point, it’s a fun look at the people behind the game, and reveals lots of new developments implemented and planned for the game. And the most recent edition includes the bonus of watching “CCP Mandrake” solve a Rubik’s Cube with frightening speed.

There are four of these In Development videos so far, starting here. In this episode there’s talk about improving the star map, shadows, crash reporting and the launcher. But the bit you want to focus on occurs at 3:38. Try not to be too upset by “Topknot”‘s hair, and just watch on the left.

This is who you want making your games.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Snords says:

Christian Bale.

2. Baboonanza says:

I want a drink called ‘Quafe’

I like the sense of humour in the video, very low-key but amusing.

3. spiderwebby says:

sorry, I couldn’t hear you over rubix cube guy…

4. HelderPinto says:

No shit.. is that Bale? lol

5. Gasmask Hero says:

More shots of awful, pasty devs. These people aren’t sexy! They do not enhance your product! If I buy, say, a delicious frozen pizza, I don’t want to be shown videos of the assembly line workers that put it together. Those people work in a pizza factory, they will not be beautiful! Same principle applies here. Stop it!

I didn’t come away from this thinking about whatever good job CCP is doing. I came away thinking ‘Get a haircut’ and ‘Look at that Rubiks Cube cheater’. PR fail.

• Beva says:

First of all: What? :(
      Second of all: “Delicious” frozen pizza?? Again, what?

• Ross Angus says:

I disagree with the original comment.

• sneetch says:

“PR fail.”

Yeah, I wonder if that battle could ever have been won by CCP.

• strange_headache says:

Are you kidding me? These people look like regular people, what is wrong with that? Do you prefer fake beauty models that contribute nothing meaningful? Besides Mr. Topknot looks fabulous in that tie & cardigan combo. I wish more people would have the courage to look different while remaining classy.

Also I think that the CCP dev diaries are very well done. You can see that these people have fun at what they do and that is the most important message you can convey. To hell I say with regular nonsensical PR-talk.

Oh and by the way, you’re an intolerant prick!

• Ostymandias says:

Actually, I now want to play EVE soley based on the fact that it is developed by Icelandic hipsters.

6. Snids says:

I think Christian Bale is pretty cool up there. I like the tie/cardigan combo. The hair is ok in my book. Not everyone wants to be short back and sides, suit on a workday, chinos on the weekend.

I’m not really sure if you’re serious though.

7. mod the world says:

What’s with 90% of software developers having beards?

8. PleasingFungus says:

John, do you just want to make a post about your “Rubic’s Magic” – a fond retrospective, talking about all the fun you had, and how modern developers could learn a lot from those toys?

Because I’m not stopping you.

Comment on this story