Take To The Skies With A New Firefall Trailer

By Craig Pearson on November 10th, 2011 at 5:02 pm.

Looks a bit better than Farmwhatsit
It was years before I stopped writing “jetpack” on my Christmas present list, when my parents sat me down and told me that they didn’t exist. Also that I was adopted. That second bit wasn’t true, but I really wanted jetpack and they were trying to soften the blow. I’ve never forgiven them for taking my jetpack dreams away. But a new Firefall trailer is adequate recompense. It has jetpacks in an open-world that’s built to take advantage of the vertical movement. It’s pretty as a picture to boot.

Actually, as much as I love jetpacks, those glider wings looks amazing as well. Firefall’s a vast, F2P co-op game, so imagine you and some friends hopping and flying over that pretty, rolling landscape, all for no money. The shooting looks excellent as well. Too good, in fact. If I hadn’t played it, I’d still struggle to believe that it’s as sharp as the trailer makes out. I’ve been a cold, hard cynic ever since I started writing “BMX” at Christmas.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. sneetch says:

“My parents sat me down and told me that they didn’t exist.”

“Your mother and I don’t exist son, it’s time you knew.” ;)

I see the same “defend the thumpy machine” mission again and again in these videos… I hope there’s more to this game than that.

• Craig Pearson says:

Damn your literal interpretation!

• AaronLee says:

I’m pretty sure that’s how you mine, so it may be common. But since its dynamic I’m pretty sure you’ll be defending thumpies across all kinds of diverse terrain and with different local enemies. I’d guess there’s also kill missions and there’s been some dynamic events discussed at length and shown in videos.

I’d guess the missions will be like those in Tabula Rasa, hopefully better.

• Wret says:

There is a video somewhere of a dev talking about dynamic events specifically getting really excited about a man-eating bug infestation near towns, that if the players ignore it for too long Mothra or something spawns out of it. It was at a more recent convention, I’ve been trying to find it.

2. Lars says:

In the future, big glowy digits will tell you how much ammo you have left!

3. AyeGill says:

Looks pretty sweet

4. ImOnTheRadio says:

Great trailer. Best Firefall trailer so far imo. Can’t wait for this game, seems just like the game for me. And sneetch, from what I’ve read about this game, there will be alot more on it than just the thumper mission. The reason why they’re showing it is because they haven’t made that much missions YET (or atleast they said so at PAX Prime) since they have focused on building the tools, the world, PvP etc first but the missions etc are really quick to make thanks to the great tools they created or that’s how I have understood their comments about that.

And Craig, I love your humour :D

5. dangerousforays says:

Very much can’t wait for this! What I played at PAX was very smooth and pretty well awesome, and that was just a glimpse of the whole thing.

• dontnormally says:

The gameplay was definitely very good, a mix of Halo colory-future with more Fun.

• Stevostin says:

“The gameplay was definitely very good, a mix of Halo colory-future with more Fun”

A sentence that also works fine for a lot of people if you replace “very good” by “goddamn awful”, you know that ?

6. deadly.by.design says:

So, Tribeserlands, then? (Or perhaps Triborderlands)

7. fallingmagpie says:

BOMBAST!

8. Tei says:

This look like Global Agenda, but Global Agenda is a bit more precise with the particles and the effects. This game looks somewhat more busy and dirty.

Another Team Fortres 2 game is not what I want to play. I would enjoy a Borderlands MMO, but we already have a lot of Global Agenda MMO-ish games, we don’t need another one. I hope the game have a big coop part and has a happy happy pew pew pew attitude like Borderlands. That would be sweet.

I loved Tabula Rasa until nerfed the power of the weapons and beefed the wildlife turning the game into another mmo where you have to grind your way killing wild animals every 2 metters.

• Bensam123 says:

Heh, someone that actually has played Tabula Rasa and didn’t think of it as just another MMO where they had to grind to max level and raid. Best part of that game was hands down defending CPs. It’s a shame they never knew what they had and it’s a shame other game developers never learned from it.

This is looking a lot like Global Agendarlands. It doesn’t look a whole lot like Tribes anymore besides the fact that people can fly. The game play is waaaay too slow and you can’t fly long enough.

9. killmachine says:

anyone else think this looks rather slow?

i’m looking forward to the game and i am actually in the beta… but i think the game is just too fckin slow.

10. mseifullah says:

I don’t understand why the development team chose not to implement the stand-out graphical features of the Offset engine. I believe this studio was the sole licensee of the engine.

There’s no cinematic motion blur, no particle shadows, no intricately detailed models, no nothing. From the looks of it, if I didn’t already know that it was the Offset engine, I’d think this was an Unreal Engine game or an in-house engine.

No doubt, if they went with something like the Unreal Engine, the game may have gotten completed faster while looking largely as it does now. Well, at any rate, graphics aren’t everything. I just hope it’s a fun game more than anything else.

• aethereal says:

I actually asked the devs about this way back during pax east. The reason they are using that engine is because it can handle very large outdoor environments much better than UE3 or Source (hah)

• mseifullah says:

Having looked at some of Project Offset’s videos of outdoor environments, I can completely believe that.

But still, it seems like a wasted opportunity of using the engine’s other offerings. It’s doubly sad since this will probably be the first and last game to see the light of day that uses Offset Engine.

• aethereal says:

Fair enough. It could be much more gorgeous, yes. I’m just glad that it seems like something my laptop could handle.

• aethereal says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t Offset the basis for CryEngine 2?

11. Marcin says:

This game would be awesome and I would play it forever based on its trailers.

Unfortunately it doesn’t exist. Just like Guild Wars 2. They will both come out with trailers forever (convention demos don’t actually count).

• Grot_Punter says:

Well that’s some extreme cynicism right there that is. Why have you no faith in the pretty ones? Also, due to fan boy obligations, I am forced to say that GW2 will definitely come out, because ArenaNet.

12. Stevostin says:

“The shooting looks excellent as well”*

I know we’re not supposed to comment on game we’re not interested in, but this scares me. If this looks “sharp”, I wonder what FPS would seem “blunt” to you in comparison. My personnal scale for sharpness is something like : Max Sharpness : CS, Quake 3. Total lack of Shartness : Fallout 3, Borderland. That is “sharp aiming”. Maybe you meant “sharp graphic” ? The cell shading sure make the graphics look “defined” (and here we have in one word all the good things I can think about the graphics).

• mondomau says:

Think you may have missed the context – all the games you liste have, at most, instanced multiplayer or very limited numbers of participants. This an open world MMO FPS.

Comment on this story