You Can Pay For Xenonauts Again, Pals

By Alec Meer on November 11th, 2011 at 9:22 am.

Mission hopefully successful, again!

Poor old Xenonauts, Goldhawk Interactive’s Cold War-set XCOMalike, was the most recent victim of Paypal’s callous punishing of indies who fund development by selling early builds of their games as part of pre-orders – and as a result it hasn’t been available for sale for quite some time.

Well, a month on, the impressive turn-based tactical strategy game is back, thanks to Desura. You can pre-order it (again) right now, and doing so gets you immediate access to the current version of the game as well as all its updates as and when. Oh, and the price has dropped from $30/£20 to a rather more sensible $20/£15. There’s also a premium version, which gets you forum-based glory and possibly other goodies down the line for £20/$30. More details here.

, , .

1. Jams O'Donnell says:

Erk. I was talking about Zomboid. Curse you, end-of-alphabet-starting-games!

2. Chris says:

One of the things I loved about the original Xcom was the wonderful dynamic lighting.

It doesn’t look as if this feature has been kept in Xenonaughts.

Which is a shame.

PoulWrist says:

Game is still in alpha stage, you can go talk about it on their forum.

• untrue says:

From what I’ve gathered, the lighting will work pretty much the same way it does in Enemy Unknown/UFO Defense.

3. Vexing Vision says:

It’s definitely a game I’ll grab once it’s done.

It’s also definitely not a game I’m interested in pre-ordering, and especially not during Skyrim-marathons. Sorry, Xenonauts – I love your idea, but time and energy are very limited….

4. Andrigaar says:

$20 is a bit much for a game when the original X-Com is cheap and both the Voxeltron Bundle and Amnesia were “Help support us!” at pay-what-you-want and $10 respectively. But then again, Natural Selection 2 and even HoN were full-priced for their beta access–not that I agree with that.

Will keep an eye out much closer now, but not willing to pay full projected retail for a beta.

PoulWrist says:

Well, it’s not a beta. It’s alpha :p also, that’s not what you pay for, after all, you pay for the full game. I haven’t even tried it yet, because playing alphas and betas is just ruining the final experience.

• Andrigaar says:

Beta, alpha, gamma rays and UV.

I’m saying that the devs in general need to lower the bar of entry for early adopters of indie titles. Start low and raise the price over time, not the other way around.

PoulWrist says:

Why even bother with price differences :p

• telpscorei says:

Andrigaar, I’d argue against that philosophy.

When an indie game gets released as a completed product, then yes I agree that a low price point is helpful to drive sales to the masses. But if you’re in alpha / beta, and you’ve got a following of people who are passionate about the game, I’d say charge highly. In fact, charge is the wrong word. Give them the option of paying more for the game.

The idea is that the early adoptors are people who believe in the product, and one of the ways you can show that is by paying more than others. Give the early fans the option of really helping development with cashy, cashy money, should they wish.

When the game comes out and sales start to hit, there’ll be plenty of opportunities to pay little. But early on I’d like to pay more. And not in a “get this bit of DLC” way. In a “I support what you’re doing, here is my wallet” way.

• Andrigaar says:

What you just listed was Kickstarter’s model.

• Josh W says:

Or in an extreme version, dwarf fortress’s.

5. JackDandy says:

Nice to see they’re back on their feet. Still, I think I’ll give the original X-com a go first, and then see if this sort of game is a thing I’d pay for.

Also, the fact they lowered their price certainly gives it a higher chance of purchasing.

• wcanyon says:

I think you should give JA2 a try if you want some turn based glory that will be similar to this game when it comes out. Or UFO Afterlight (don’t know why that game doesn’t get more love). Original XCOM’s interface is pretty frustrating to those of us who are used to things like “right click” and “wheel that scrolls”.

6. coldvvvave says:

£15 for an indie game? I can buy Battlefield 3 cheaper in Russia.

• Bremze says:

I have great dislike for this line of thought. The only way indie games differ from regular games is that the devs have no publisher. That is it. Do indie devs somehow deserve less just because of that?

• coldvvvave says:

Pricing for this game is still ridiculous even after the drop. And the whole preorder-to-play-a-rc-build? No demo? Is this really ok just because they are indie? Bastion had a demo and OST included for roughly the same price. This is a cat in the sack for 20-30$.

• cptgone says:

“£15 for an indie game?”
      many indie games are way more fun than most blockbusters are.

i’m a huge fan of XCOM1 and i’ve always dreamt of an updated version, with enhanced GUI.
      that made this game an instabuy for me (at the old, now “premium” price).
      the dev quit his day job for this, i’ll gladly support him if it gets me the goods ;)
      if Xenonauts turns out to meet my expectations, it will bring me many, many hours of total immersion in superb gameplay. it will still be a steal!

• felix6 says:

If you rather play bf3 I don’t see why this matters to you anyway. I’v been waiting for a game like this a very long time, and I would be willing to pay more than what they ask for it atm…. Assuming the final product really is as great as I’m hoping ;)

• untrue says:

coldvvvave, a demo will be made available to the public once the game is complete, and a soundtrack release is also in the cards.

• coldvvvave says:

@felix6

>If you rather play bf3 I don’t see why this matters to you anyway

I was trying to make a point that it’s rather expensve for an indie game, BF3 has nothing to do with it. Although I bought it. For 15$.

@untrue

Uh, ok, I’ll try the demo then.

• dontnormally says:

coldvvvave said:
      “Bastion had …”

Bastion had Warner Brothers as a publisher.
      Stretches the “indie” label quite a bit.

• coldvvvave says:

Well, I didn’t know that.

7. aircool says:

Says a lot about both games then doesn’t it.

Also: Nation Rating – Poor :))

8. Tatourmi says:

Well, I still can’t stand the change of aesthetics. I don’t know, this new pseudo realist cold war military is just disgusting to me, it truly is.

• iniudan says:

What change of aesthetic ? The game has been following this kind of theme since I started following it back in 2010.

• Tatourmi says:

From the original X-com ;).
      But that is just a matter of personnal preferences.

9. Towercap says:

I’ve had this on pre-order for some time. I’ve only had a chance to play it a few times as the alpha doesn’t support saved games just yet, but it’s good. I love that the interceptor vs UFO minigame is now much more engaging, and you can have multiple interceptors attacking a single UFO at once.

Happy with the combat missions too, so all said very excited about this weekend’s planned update.

10. tentaclesex says:

I hope they eventually do a mac version. This seems like more of a noodling away on the laptop while sorta watching tv game than a parked in front of the command center game.

At least that’s how I tend to approach turn-based stuff.